It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 CD Review: Buzzcocks - Flat-Pack Philosophy 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

A new album from Britain's most exciting punk band still on the go - surely worth a buy?
Indeed, from the opening choatic riff of the title track, through to the closing Steve Diggle rocker, this album packs a punch.

Pete Shelley's voice has deepened over the years, but it's still him and the Buzzcocks' soaring harmonies and trademark backing vocals are still there.

Flat-Pack Philosphy's first single, Wish I Never Loved You is the second number and maintings the frantic pace of the record. "Tell me why, tell me why, tell me why" is so infectious, it's such a typical Buzzcocks song - a song about heartache, but makes you feel so energetic and thrilled.

Diggle has written less this album than 2003's Buzzcocks LP, and I don't think his songs are as inspired as what they were on that album. Perhaps because his 2005 solo album featured a lot of brilliant songs.

His first track to appear is the average Sell You Everything.

The album is 36 minutes long, with fourteen songs. So they're keeping the two or three minute power-punk-pop song alive.

Reconcilliation is particularly infectious, with its "oh oh oh" backing vocals. While I Don't Exist has an extremely catchy riff and basic structure - this would fit comfortably on any of the band's 70s albums.

One peculiar thing is that Shelley has wrote some songs that Diggle sings, something I've never noticed before with Buzzcocks. One example is the brilliant, but painfully short Survivor.

God, What Have I Done is a slower, more fierce sounding song.

Credit is one of the highlights on the album. It features a sound sample of the self-service checkouts in Tescos. "Designer clothes - go on, I'll have some of those!"

Sound of a Gun is a strong powerful from Diggle, this song is one of several social/political themed songs - something which is not always touched upon on every Buzzcocks album.

I've Had Enough is not quite long enough, because it's a good song.

Pete closed the last album with the angry and emotionally charged Useless. This time it's Steve's turn to wish us farewell, and he does a brilliant job with Between Heaven and Hell - an eerie ode to his own insecurities that features a spooky vocal finish.

Buzzcocks are a band that more than compete with the **** that calls itself punk these days. This record is fresh, exciting and doesen't sound like its being sung by men in their early 50s.

Every so slightly inferior to their last studio effort (which was near flawless), but certainly a worthwhile purchase to punk fans old and new. Also, go and check out the band live on their current UK tour.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:06 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

The rest of their stuff is brilliant, so I'll be sure to give that a go.

UK tour.. Lucky guy

I wish I could go see them play live! :cry:

Mod edit: Edited due to mproper language.

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]