It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Pokemon Sunday, Corocoro reveal Zoroark and Zorua 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Yea I hate Probopass too...

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:57 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

As far as Probopass goes....it can go hide under some kid's bed and be the next boggy man.

I think I'd like these guys more if it didn't have a pony tail and the claws were less....cartoony....there are plenty of clawed pokemon in the game and they did fine, but those are long and red and remind me of candy...

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

[quote="Dan Roswald"]As far as Probopass goes....it can go hide under some kid's bed and be the next boggy man.

I like Probopass, don't ask me why, but that's pretty funny.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:52 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Zoroark would look way cooler if it kept the long tail in addition to the mane. Or if it had two tails, like a {floatzel}.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:09 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
My new main reason for not liking Zoroark is simply cause based on Zorua it doesn't look like it would even have any moves in common with it what so ever except maybe a couple of status attacks & one or two dark moves...I'm more for an evolution of a pokemon that yes learns a range of new moves that it's previous form did not but also at least shares a noticable amount of moves with it's previous form...Zoroark looks like an attack based pokemon & Zorua looks like a special attack based pokemon...just saying...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:35 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Does it look like to anyone else that Zoroark has badly-applied lipstick on the side of its mouth? It looks really cool but everytime I see that lipstick I'm like :/.

It might just be the analogue of Poochyena for GenV...perhaps a Bidoof even

Sorry if I'm repeating anything anyone else has said; I've only read the first and fourth pages of posts.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Never thought of the lipstick thing, but it kinda does.

But the Gen. V Bidoof? Considering it's starring in a movie, it's probably along the lines of Lucario.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:22 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

The "lipstick" is kabuki make-up, which Zoroark has around its eyes and nose as well. It also has a gigantic mane of hair reminiscent of kabuki hairstyles.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:27 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

the lipstickish stuff almost looks the joker from bat man

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:02 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yeah, um, haha. I'd go with Frost on this one. I agree about the kabuki make-up.

Anyway, I like Zoroark. He looks orginal, though the "dark wolf" mix has already been used for Houndoom and Mightyena. Zorua looks like a Shinx rehash. But Shinx is cute, so I don't mind. :3

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:29 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Not that it really matters, as their names are likely to be changed, but according to the printing in Coro Coro, Zorua is actually called Zoroa:

??? and ????? are pronounced Zoroa and Zoroaaku (zo-ro-Aahk, if said quickly enough; "aa" can be used to replicate an "ar" sound) respectively. Katakana is a enunciation system which is used for words from another language, such as names, so "Zoraaku" is the closest the language comes to spelling and pronouncing "Zoroark".

The katakana ? is pronounced as "roh", while the katakana for "ru" is ?, so it would be pronounced Zoroa, rather than Zorua. Sorry, but mispronunciations are one of my biggest pet peeves.

Now that thats aside, I actually like these two, at least in appearance; especially Zoroa! I stopped caring what they looked like in Generation III, because it was inevitable that they would run out of idea eventually. Really, Luvdisc is just so...lacking in design. Really, unless the design is especially pathetic, I don't really care.

Besides, judging by the hype these two are producing, what with having a movie focusing around them along side the dogs and Celebi, Zoroa and Zoroark are definately the Generation V versions of Riolu and Lucario, except "Riolu" was released with "Lucario". It's also almost guaranteed that only one will be available in the game, such as the what happened with Togepi and Riolu, both of whom were among the first (or at least Lucario was) pokemon revealed for their respective generations.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:31 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Um.... Ok, I guess we can go with that....
To all the people that thinks it looks like Lucario, I don't see how this looks like lucario... It looks more like a Mutation Mightyena.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:02 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Shrilakkigan wrote:
Not that it really matters, as their names are likely to be changed, but according to the printing in Coro Coro, Zorua is actually called Zoroa:

??? and ????? are pronounced Zoroa and Zoroaaku (zo-ro-Aahk, if said quickly enough; "aa" can be used to replicate an "ar" sound) respectively. Katakana is a enunciation system which is used for words from another language, such as names, so "Zoraaku" is the closest the language comes to spelling and pronouncing "Zoroark".

The katakana ? is pronounced as "roh", while the katakana for "ru" is ?, so it would be pronounced Zoroa, rather than Zorua. Sorry, but mispronunciations are one of my biggest pet peeves.

Now that thats aside, I actually like these two, at least in appearance; especially Zoroa! I stopped caring what they looked like in Generation III, because it was inevitable that they would run out of idea eventually. Really, Luvdisc is just so...lacking in design. Really, unless the design is especially pathetic, I don't really care.

Besides, judging by the hype these two are producing, what with having a movie focusing around them along side the dogs and Celebi, Zoroa and Zoroark are definately the Generation V versions of Riolu and Lucario, except "Riolu" was released with "Lucario". It's also almost guaranteed that only one will be available in the game, such as the what happened with Togepi and Riolu, both of whom were among the first (or at least Lucario was) pokemon revealed for their respective generations.

The translation to Zorua is the OFFICIAL romanization, therefore it is right. Sure it might be an "o" instead of a "u" in the katakana, but that doesn't mater when they officially romanize it as Zorua.

for more on why it is Zorua and not Zoroa see the section here, where someone else brought it up and it was discussed. They create the romanized names first, and then they katakanify them. in other words, the romanization is MORE correct than the katakana.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:07 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

"Official" Japanese romanizations don't mean anything because romanized letters don't even exist in Japanese and Engrish is not uncommon when Japanese media tries to translate stuff like this. The magazine may say "Zorua" in English letters, but the Japanese name says something else. Thus there's a very good chance that "Zorua" and "Zoroark" won't be the English names of these Pokemon because the intent is closer to "Zorroa" and "Zorro-ark" despite what haphazard official Japanese romanizations say.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:37 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Frost wrote:
"Official" Japanese romanizations don't mean anything because romanized letters don't even exist in Japanese and Engrish is not uncommon when Japanese media tries to translate stuff like this. The magazine may say "Zorua" in English letters, but the Japanese name says something else. Thus there's a very good chance that "Zorua" and "Zoroark" won't be the English names of these Pokemon because the intent is closer to "Zorroa" and "Zorro-ark" despite what haphazard official Japanese romanizations say.

See ???? and Shaymin. Romanize that and you get SHEIMI, but repeatedly the romaji has been used as SHAYMIN. Same with ????? and REGIGAS, not REJIGIGASU. ??? is CRAB, not KURABU.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:41 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Yeah, so what's your point? Even in your own examples, the Japanese romanizations are faithful to English in some cases but in other cases they're doing their own thing. Yes, "Crab" is correctly romanized while "Kurabu" isn't. But they decided to add the "N" to Shaymin's name for absolutely no reason. The name is spelled and pronounced as "Sheimi" in Japanese, so adding the "n" was completely nonsensical. "Zorua" could just as easily be another "Shaymi" where a bad romanization screws up the original intent of the name.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:45 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Rua is Irish for red-haired (possibly referring to the red highlights in it's fur), but is pronounced ROO-uh. The katakana probably changed it to "roa" to be as close to the actual pronunciation, while the romanization is still the correct spelling. We should stick to the official romanization until we get an english name.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:50 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I love that it's a dark type pokemon in the spotlight this time, I think they both look awsome, in their own different ways. It might of been cool though for the 1st 5th Gen release to be a new evolution of an existing pokemon, but i think they've done a brilliant job designing the new duo of Dark types.

What do you think?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:37 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

iFire wrote:
I love that it's a dark type pokemon in the spotlight this time, I think they both look awsome, in their own different ways. It might of been cool though for the 1st 5th Gen release to be a new evolution of an existing pokemon, but i think they've done a brilliant job designing the new duo of Dark types.

What do you think?

I agree but I hope that Zorua isn't a Physical Attacker as it does not fit the part in anyway but I don't mind if when it evolves that changes I guess...

& about the dang lipstick...it's a "pocket monster", who cares how bad it's placed on Zoroark's face which I disagree with anyway...but whatever...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:01 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Remember the final sprite has yet to emerge and theres a fairly good chance it will change

Remember how fat the original pikachu was? It made bidoof look slim(sort of)!

Image Image

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:12 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Yeah I remember that...hope Zoroark's sprite changes noticably because as it stands now it does not go with Zorua like that...

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:51 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I really like the designs for Zorua & Zoroark! hy look so cool, and yet slightly different, Zorua looks almost like a play on the Eevee design, but I REALLY like the designs for both of them, a cute basic pokemon, evolving into a fierce werewolf.

Loving how theres a different type of pokemon in the spotlight, about time a dark type got in there!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:33 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

They do have the same color schemes.

Sure, Zoroark is bigger and a lot more sleek, and Zorua seems really small in comparison, but that's evolution for you. Disregarding Feebas/Milotic and Magikarp/Gyrados, look at {zubat} and {crobat}; their body shapes are similar but they look totally different. Look at {gible} and {garchomp}, two ends of an evolutionary line: Gible has neither the same body type nor the same color scheme, but anyone could tell you that they are evolutions.

"Going together" has nothing to do with it. They're both dark types, I'm assuming with similar temperaments, and they look at least somewhat similar.

If the final sprites looked just like these, it's my opinion that they would go together pretty much perfectly.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Lightshayde wrote:
They do have the same color schemes.

Sure, Zoroark is bigger and a lot more sleek, and Zorua seems really small in comparison, but that's evolution for you. Disregarding Feebas/Milotic and Magikarp/Gyrados, look at {zubat} and {crobat}; their body shapes are similar but they look totally different. Look at {gible} and {garchomp}, two ends of an evolutionary line: Gible has neither the same body type nor the same color scheme, but anyone could tell you that they are evolutions.

"Going together" has nothing to do with it. They're both dark types, I'm assuming with similar temperaments, and they look at least somewhat similar.

If the final sprites looked just like these, it's my opinion that they would go together pretty much perfectly.

What I meant was...with {zubat} & {crobat} I can see them both being fast & with some good status moves & with {gible} & {garchomp} I can see them both having deadly attack, etc...though with Zoroark I see a pokemon with good ATK, SPE & maybe SPDEF (though this is actually cause it evolves from Zorua which...) & with Zorua I see a pokemon that is good with SPATK, SPDEF, & also SPE though not to the degree of Zoroark perhaps...that's really all I'm saying...I think they go together, just not in regards to status...but cases like these have emerged in the past so I'm really just hoping that they having some kind of status set up that is simular for both & is something I can see making at least some since...In short, I don't want no weird status set up this time that doesn't suit it as...it's just weird...the sprites I don't mind looking like that but cause of it I don't see anything other then a SPE only friendly pokemon with some decent ATK or oh god please no SPATK...& nothing else...

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:08 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Uhm.
I couldn't make too much sense of your post due to the atrocious run-on you have going there...

But I see what you mean. Zorua, however, looks to me very similar to Poochyena, in body shape especially. First evolutions tend to be smaller and weaker (Zubat and Gible and Bagon, for instance), and therefore don't show the dominant trait as much. To me, Zoroark looks like an ATK-oriented pokemon, while Zorua must be just a smaller version of Zoroark (so it doesn't have many distinguishing traits.)

BTW: "stat" does not elongate to "status", but rather, to "statistic". Just a heads-up.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next