It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 DISCUSSION OF ALL POKEMON IN SPECIFIC DETAIL 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

FaceLess wrote:
What? What?
Why would skarm have that many special defense evs? What does it survive after that? I'm genuinely interested. sorry about that... corrected O.o i seriously dunno what was going through my mind.

Especially when you don't want to keep on in against special attacks to begin with. I actually fine that with roost and left overs, substitute is very useful. If you don't have shed shell it scouts for Magnezone, if he shows up just whirlwind, and other counters. Really helps when trying to ward off statuses and crit hax if you baton passed defenses. I wouldn't recomend attacks on skarm anymore since they seem to not do crap against it's counters and counter less than ever.

Also I don't think big root does anything for skarm, does it? corrected too... [looks for lame excuse] its a friday :D

yeah i thought psypokes can take my mind off the two projects and a US History essay i gotta do... guess i got carried away
I was kinda hoping you knew something I didn't know. A superior skarm is always worth the effort. I'm glad we're really getting into OU pokemon now, that's the good stuff.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I was kinda hoping you knew something I didn't know. A superior skarm is always worth the effort. I'm glad we're really getting into OU pokemon now, that's the good stuff.

well i remember arguing with someone else (not in the forum) about putting spDef EVs into a skarm means that it can survive t-bolts from an naughty E-vire that was trained 129EVs in spAtk and a life orb timid-starmie. but the loss of defEVs is not worth it IMO and skarm still fails to magnezone and a surprise attack from a special sweeping E-vire =l

Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

FaceLess wrote:

well i remember arguing with someone else (not in the forum) about putting spDef EVs into a skarm means that it can survive t-bolts from an naughty E-vire that was trained 129EVs in spAtk and a life orb timid-starmie. but the loss of defEVs is not worth it IMO and skarm still fails to magnezone and a surprise attack from a special sweeping E-vire =l
What really?

I always figured since without life orb or Any evs/ivs stab fire blast from blaiziken killed skarm that it was a moot point even trying.

Huh.

Last edited by FaceLess on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

What do you guys use for Ninetales? Here is the set I'm using currently.

Ninetales@power herb/???
Timid
252 SP ATT, 120 SPD, 136 SP DEF
Flamethrower
Sunny Day
Flamethrower
Will o wisp

To be honest I cant remember how I EV trained him :P. Im not too worried about his stats as I am his moveset. I was originally using:

Flamethrower
Safeguard
Confuse Ray
Will o wisp

But I thought it lacked a little bit of a offensive punch. Im using it as a Special sweeper / wall

Or maybe I've just gone insane :P

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:27 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

What would be the best 6 poke for a competitive team? Movesets & natures.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:04 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

What would be the best 6 poke for a competitive team? Movesets & natures.
If you wanted the best all around team you'd need a crap load of pokemon. The best player I've Ever had the opportunity to play used a team he himself rated 8/10, but he keeps winning because he's just a better player.

With factors like that it's extremely difficult to judge what teams are better, at least to me it is.

If anyone wants to take a stab at it, go for it.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I don't think there are a "best 6" a competitive team is based a lot on favorites and personal preference. Not to mention basic playing skill. A person could have an incredible team but still lose all the time due to lack of skill :P

Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:13 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm curious then about roles each poke will play. What would be a good team set based on how the pokemon are used. Like physical sweepers, annoyers, hazers & so forth.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:27 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I'm curious then about roles each poke will play. What would be a good team set based on how the pokemon are used. Like physical sweepers, annoyers, hazers & so forth.
This is really interesting and I hope to discuss it at length, but I don't think it's the right thread...but just in case it is.

I don't think it's necessarily different types of roles that make a strong team, so much as countering the most you can counter and being countered by the fewest you can arrange.

I mean Swampert was so hard to counter back in the day that pokemon started using hidden power grass.

Gyarados is major trouble stopping many choice banders, physical sweepers and tanks, few weaknesses, and good type coverage.

Bronzong Does pretty well, skarm countered even substitutes, and spinning recovers a lot of situations for your team to be successful in so they are still good ideas.

Pretty much all the OU pokemon have a wide range of things to cover, and some are mostly there to counter common OU. Perhaps there's a checklist out there on pokemon you need to counter in today's OU. That's what I'd try to figure out anyway, if I were you.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

heres mine but it prob rubbish... :(

Lonely (due to sweeeeet IV's) 252 Hp 252 Atk
Explosion
Agility
Earthquake
Meteor Mash

and also not sure if it right thread but was dus OO and OU mean and stuff?

Kyle - Pearl FC - 0129 - 9454 - 5378
</center>

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:13 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

and also not sure if it right thread but was dus OO and OU mean and stuff?

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/watermar ... tional.jpg

The Jonatron wrote:
Xatu Unlickely this guy wont get powered.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:15 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Uber = uber. they are almost unbeatale, like Kyogre, Rayquaza, T-tar now with fewer hp fightings and the sandstorm special def boost, Mewtwo, Mew, Wobbuffet. Those are the main ones.

OU = overused. These are the normal metagame. Everything but uers (yes, normal legends allowed - zapdos, suicune, raikou, regice, jirachi, celebi to name a few), and are moderately easy to counter with the main players.
Notable pokemon in here (aside from legends): Salamence, Dragonite, Garchomp, Swampert, Infernape, Smeargle, Ninjask, Blissey, Skarmory

BL = borderline. They are outclassed by their relatives in OU, yet they are better than the under-used types. Examples are like Kingdra, Alakazam, Forretress, Lapras/Walrein, Ambipom.

UU = underused. These are generally too bad for main play, and thus have an entire game to themselves.
Examples - Sandslash, Hypno, Jynx to an extent.

NU = neverused. These are never used pokemon that are just way too horrible.
Examples: Most bugs, a few fightings, grass types. Yeah, thats it.

A note about BL/UU definition - if a pokemon actually looks like it has a crappy movepool and belongs in UU but is in BL, its one reason - stat total. Arcanine back in advanced was excluded from UU metagme because of this. Also, BL pokemon sometimes work just as well. Snorlax is in BL at this point, only because of a lack of one turn healing move. Miltank is here despite getting decent stats because of umm...just worse stats than Blissey. Yeah, she whores :O

Now, onto metagross...
Gimme the weekend, and I'll have 3 good sets.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:12 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Hmmm...Metagross...I would think a Good Moveset should look like this:
Nature: Jolly
Item: Shuca/Occa berry or a Quick Claw or a Leftovers
Moves:
Meteor Mash
Ice Punch/Zen Headbutt/Aerial Ace
Thunder Punch/Earthquake/Brick Break
Explosion

Or...this may sound strange, but you can do away with the STAB bonus Meteor Mash and teach Earthquake along with Ice Punch and Thunder Punch. I know you'll be Sacrificing the Signature move of Metagross but you're getting the Ability to Counter all Pokemon except for Shedinja. A Very good deal I would think...this one can do the most Super Effcetive attacks against other Pokemon when compared to the other Movesets I think...

It's simple, whether you want to Keep the Signature Move but can't counter that many Pokemon or you can Sacrifice it to counter more Pokemon.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:44 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Uber = uber. they are almost unbeatale, like Kyogre, Rayquaza, T-tar now with fewer hp fightings and the sandstorm special def boost, Mewtwo, Mew, Wobbuffet. Those are the main ones.

OU = overused. These are the normal metagame. Everything but uers (yes, normal legends allowed - zapdos, suicune, raikou, regice, jirachi, celebi to name a few), and are moderately easy to counter with the main players.
Notable pokemon in here (aside from legends): Salamence, Dragonite, Garchomp, Swampert, Infernape, Smeargle, Ninjask, Blissey, Skarmory

BL = borderline. They are outclassed by their relatives in OU, yet they are better than the under-used types. Examples are like Kingdra, Alakazam, Forretress, Lapras/Walrein, Ambipom.

UU = underused. These are generally too bad for main play, and thus have an entire game to themselves.
Examples - Sandslash, Hypno, Jynx to an extent.

NU = neverused. These are never used pokemon that are just way too horrible.
Examples: Most bugs, a few fightings, grass types. Yeah, thats it.

A note about BL/UU definition - if a pokemon actually looks like it has a crappy movepool and belongs in UU but is in BL, its one reason - stat total. Arcanine back in advanced was excluded from UU metagme because of this. Also, BL pokemon sometimes work just as well. Snorlax is in BL at this point, only because of a lack of one turn healing move. Miltank is here despite getting decent stats because of umm...just worse stats than Blissey. Yeah, she whores :O

Now, onto metagross...
Gimme the weekend, and I'll have 3 good sets.
Ninjask, smeargle, and a super hyper stressed Maybe swampert are borderline. Ninjask has seemingly good stats and moves but is completely countered by many many OU pokemon, just too many for it to be effective still as an OU. Smeargle, no matter how cool it is, with sleep clause ect is still only good for setting up other stuff, which isn't easy with his stats, he's considered borderline, since most any set with a pokemon with stats like that is pretty much a novelty set. Swamperts gotten a lot less useful with stronger more available grass attacks, and high damage output from many pokemon, but I hesitate to say he's BL. Really really hesitate. I mean he used to rock the OU scene just because he's no longer king doesn't mean he can't compete.

Also Ambipom is OU, technician, normal stab, ok stats, good move pool. Strategic, and generally preferred to Tauros, who at least used to be OU.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Tyranitar is not uber, period. With ScarfPunching Machamps, SpecsStars, Focus Punch and Weaviles running all over, Tyra is unfortunately isn't that unbeatable like it was in advance, and can be revenge-killed or forced out easily.

The Jonatron wrote:
Xatu Unlickely this guy wont get powered.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:20 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Does anyone know what a good moveset for infernape is? besides grass knot i accidently used that at the beginning with someone else...

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:09 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm convinced Mr. Mime is the hardest of all to come up with good moveset.

Obviously it needs offense. Psybeam? Psychic? Not both...
Its defense is garbage. Barrier or Reflect???
Encore is a beast move. I love it.
And...what else? Substitute? Magical Leaf?

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:33 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

cauchy ok wrote:
I'm convinced Mr. Mime is the hardest of all to come up with good moveset.

Obviously it needs offense. Psybeam? Psychic? Not both...
Its defense is garbage. Barrier or Reflect???
Encore is a beast move. I love it.
And...what else? Substitute? Magical Leaf?

My guess is....don't use Mr. Mme...it's freaking weak. Talking about balanced teams...I feel that a Balanced Team isn't priority when forming teams....a 6 Sweeper Team has a high chance of taking out an Extremely Balanced team if the Balanced Team switches out often. What I think are better are effective Strategies and tactics that can be used to trick an opponent.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:25 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Does anyone know what a good moveset for infernape is? besides grass knot i accidently used that at the beginning with someone else...

without grass knot... i guess infernape can still be very useful:

Infernape@life orb
jolly 252atk/252spd/6hp
thunderpunch
flare blitz
close combat
shadow claw/swords dance/anything else

w/o grass knot, you wouldn't be able to handle ground types like it should with that attack, so basically the last spot is filler, although adding shadow claw would make it a good dusknoir counter (switch in on WoW, and sweep). life orb is there to deal heavy damage with the option of switching attacks.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

{gyarados}

Jolly 252 atk/ 252 spd 6hp
focus sash

dragon dance
aqua tail
ice fang
earthquake

also what would be a good moveset for rapidash and glaceon?

thanks

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:28 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

How is this moveset for gyrados?

{gyarados}

Jolly 252 atk/ 252 spd 6hp
focus sash

dragon dance
aqua tail
ice fang
earthquake

also what would be a good moveset for rapidash and glaceon?

thanks

most would put stone edge/rock slide over ice fang because it still hits the likes dragonite and salamence hard, and aqua tail can hurt garchomp after a DD. focus sash isnt needed (scared of an electric attack? switch out. DD whenever you get a chance and you then you wouldn't have to be afraid of T-bolt hitting before you hit them back)

rapidash gets megahorn in DP (woot!!!) but still is useless somewhat:

Rapidash@life orb/leftovers
adamant/jolly 252atk/252spd/6hp
-flare blitz
-megahorn
-hypnosis
-quick attack?/poison jab :lol:

seriously, that's the only 4 attacks i can think of. you can also run a special sweeper/sunnybeam set off of rapidash's less-than-stellar spAtk

as for glaceon, it has good stats but wasted on its trash movepool again:

Glaceon@leftovers
modest 252spAtk/129def/129hp or some other EV spread you can think of
-ice beam
-shadow ball
-HP fighting (or anything not named ice, ghost, and poison)
-wish/mirror coat/substitute

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

What would be a solid moveset for E-vire? Also, what are some other effective electric types?

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:17 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

What would be a solid moveset for E-vire? Also, what are some other effective electric types?

This is what worked for me:
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 in Atk & Spd
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers/Shuca Berry
Moves:

Thunder punch
Ice Punch
Earthquake
Cross Chop/Low Kick/rest + Chesto Berry Combo

Electrivires shine when you know when to switch...an example is pursposely switching Electrivire into battle when you know the foe is going to use an Electric Attack...If you're planning on using Electrivire this way I think an Adamant 1 is better but if you don't then a Jolly is better.

Other good electric Types may include Luxray, Raikou, Zapdos and Magnezone Jolteon and Raichu.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:29 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

akizzk538 wrote:

This is what worked for me:
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 in Atk & Spd
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers/Shuca Berry
Moves:

Thunder punch
Ice Punch
Earthquake
Cross Chop/Low Kick/rest + Chesto Berry Combo

Electrivires shine when you know when to switch...an example is pursposely switching Electrivire into battle when you know the foe is going to use an Electric Attack...If you're planning on using Electrivire this way I think an Adamant 1 is better but if you don't then a Jolly is better.

Other good electric Types may include Luxray, Raikou, Zapdos and Magnezone Jolteon and Raichu.

lol isnt there like some code you can put in to get that perfect moveset for electivire....it wasnt in diamond...but i heard it was in some other game...well if it isnt that one than it's Battle Revolution then haha O and you forgot about Manectric...it has a pretty good speed and special attack...and it can learn flamethrower and that static sure enough is annoying too lol...who all in all is like the best electric type there is?

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:40 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

lol isnt there like some code you can put in to get that perfect moveset for electivire....it wasnt in diamond...but i heard it was in some other game...well if it isnt that one than it's Battle Revolution then haha O and you forgot about Manectric...it has a pretty good speed and special attack...and it can learn flamethrower and that static sure enough is annoying too lol...who all in all is like the best electric type there is?

I personally don't apprecitate Manectric or even Raichu's presence
in my team cos they have pathetic Defensive capabilities along with their not so high hit points. Hmmm....I'll say the best Electric Types are Electrivire and Raikou....Zapdos may be included if you can get it to learn Extrasensory along with a good Hidden Power attack type.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next