Survivor, Ninjask edition 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

What are the best ways to keep a Ninjask alive long enough to-
SD once
Speed boost at least twice
Silver wind once

Baton pass to my Garchomp.

Mine has protect and a focus sash. Anything else?

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:57 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Use him as a lead. Basicly like this:

Ninjask @ Focus Sash
Jolly | Speed boost
252 Att 252 Spd 4 Hp
-Protect
-X-Siccors
-Swords dance
-Baton pass
If Tyranitar comes in, flee. Sand stream breaks Sash. Silver Wind is Special so don't use it. Basicly protect, Swords dance, Sash breaks, and pass. One time use.

If you have any problems with breeding, Egg moves, IV:s or EV:s, you can ask me. Feel free to ask other things related to competive battling.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:52 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Sometimes Sunny Day over Protect could be worth it, if only for T-Tar, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, etc. Personally, I like Protect better.

I guess I can see some speed being put in, but maxed out? It'd be fine to max out if you want to attack with it, but otherwise I don't see the point. I mean, you can pretty much get two speed boosts if you play your cards right, and on something that fast, I'm not sure if I agree with maxing it out. Not sure where the EVs would go though. :?

Mm, well, I'm on the fence about max speed. It'd be the hardest decision for me if I have Ninjask. On one hand, it's already godly fast. Putting *some* would help. On the other hand, it's not like it could utilize those EVs in any other stat, and maxing it out guarantees it to be faster than almost anything.

Either Protect or Swords Dance on the first turn, then depending on what you did, do the other. Rinse and repeat as many times then get the heck out of there. Use Focus Sash, of course. You'll probably get a SD in and 1-2 Speed Boosts.

It sucks how you pretty much only get to use Ninjask once. :? Rocks kinda destroy him, so he can't switch in very easily. *looks for Rapid Spinner* He's fragile so he's guaranteed to not switch in, unless you're desperate to waste his Focus Sash. I suppose Umbreon with dry BP, or Wish BPs could help. He pretty much has to revenge kill. Sand Stream either breaks him, or his sash. He only has Focus Sash once, so once that's gone he can't pass SD. :( He can still pass Speed Boosts, but still...

You think Ninjask could switch into fighting attaks and survive, without the aid of FS, since he 4x resists fighting attacks?

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, one thing is for sure, it'll have to be the 1st Pokemon you send out, if not Stealth Rocks and Sandstorms will completely destroy it. It's Risky, but the Pokemon you pass to will be Godlike. Rhyperior for Example, will have no trouble with almost anything. :wink:

Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:01 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

well..

Ninjask
Jolly
Focus Sash
Arial Ace
Protect
SD
Baton Pass

Protect, Swords dance til 1hp Protect, then go garchomp =)

Im Jirachi. Yes, you heard me. Don't Believe me? Fine, go ahead, see if I care. I used to have clear evidence a while ago. Too bad, maybe next time. Eventually, I will meet you again someday in the future, I will know you, but you wont know me.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The max speed is because you want to tie with other Jask leads, and he will not survive an attack een with Impish.

If you have any problems with breeding, Egg moves, IV:s or EV:s, you can ask me. Feel free to ask other things related to competive battling.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:17 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

What would you do if both you and your foe has a Ninjask lead? BP and mind your own business or have a bug brawl? If I was in that situation, I'd just mind my own business, cuz I wouldn't be able to stop it from BPing a boost. I'm not arguing against you or anything. Actually, I see where you're coming from, and I'm beginning to think that max speed is the way to go.

Edit: I tested out my Ninjask today for the first time and it lead to me owning my foe. I got to use SD 3x and I got 4 speed boosts. Then I BPed to <3 Metagross <3 and he killed everything. My foe ran. XD It was fun. Metagross switched in on an explosion and survived w/ ~1/4 HP. Thank god. I knew I should've been greedy and Protected for another Speed Boost! >.< Would've been hilarious; Explosion in vain. XD

Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:56 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I know. My stall team in Adv, had 4 stallers + *Ninjask and Gross. (I am suprised how you too have the same set-up) Well, the opponent gave me Sub, + 3 SD:s, so pass to Meta, and it was GG.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Whoa, you have the same set-up. Lulz, he let you keep the sub AND 3 SDs. o.O I'm more of a Focus Sash kind of guy. I was planning to have Metagross on my team for a while now, switching out Scizor and Heatran (my usual BP partners - it wasn't working out) for Mesprit, but since I don't have Mesprit yet, I decided to have some fun with Ninjask. I didn't think it'd work so well.

I managed to trash another trainer on wifi today. I *think* he disconnected...maybe both times. Anyway, I was triple SDing alongside his SD Lucario. Once we both maxed out, and I Protected for another boost (I'm greedy like that XD), he Bullet Punches and I BP to Meta to own. The only thing that kept me from 6-0ing was when I Earthquaked his Celebi; I didn't know that grass resisted ground. :frustrated: I still managed to win though. :P Well, he disconnected but still...he could've stopped me simply by Bullet Punching/ Extreme Speeding me when I SD'd, instead of going for max attack.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:26 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yeah, I'm passing to a choice band aerodactyl. tried it a couple of times. slaughtered everything in one hit.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:36 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ninjasks don't really run max speed.

Ninjask@ Focus Sash
176 HP 252 ATK 80 SPEED
Jolly
Substitute
Baton Pass
Swords Dance
X-Scissor / Aerial Ace

Use this set.

First use Swords Dance then as your opponent attacks you survive w/ 1 hp and then you've got one speed boost and a sd, then pass.

<Derek> is anyone here ??
<AngrySparrow> No
<Derek> im gonna leave because no one is here
*** Derek has quit (Exit: Psypoke Forever!)

Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:44 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

How bout:
{ninjask}@lefties/focus sash
Speed Boost | Relaxed (-Sp.Atk +Def) | 252Hp, 129Def, 129Sp.Def
Swords Dance
Protect
Silver Wind/Substitute (substitute is a double-edged sword coz you waste 1 turn)
Baton Pass

1st turn: SD if foe doens't have Rock Slide or any rock-type move. Use Protect if it has a rock-type move.
End of 1st turn: Gain +1Spd
2nd turn: If you used protect then you can use SD instead and vice versa.
End of 2nd turn: You gain a total of +2Atk and +2Spd boost.
3rd turn: use Batton Pass on any pokemon you like. You like to batton pass on {garchomp} but to me a boosted {metagross} is deadlier but it's your choice.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:04 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Roar Of Time wrote:

Ninjask@ Focus Sash
176 HP 252 ATK 80 SPEED
Jolly
Substitute
Baton Pass
Swords Dance
X-Scissor / Aerial Ace

Use this set.

First use Swords Dance then as your opponent attacks you survive w/ 1 hp and then you've got one speed boost and a sd, then pass.

True, Ninjask doesn't need all of that speed, but it's not like those EVs are very worthwhile in other stats (well, maybe if you're trying to make it Stealth Rock/ Sandstorm-worthy). I personally like your spread better, but sadly the Ninjask I have is at level 100 with 252 HP/ 6 Atk/ 252 Spe (I dislike trading for EVed Pokemon on Marriland). I don't believe in 6/ 252/ 252 spreads. Max speed has its uses, but the circumstances are uncommon. :( Well, I'm on the fence regarding whether or not to max out (it's not like those HP EVs are very useful either...decisions...decisions).

ophiuchus wrote:
How bout:
Swords Dance
Protect
Silver Wind/Substitute (substitute is a double-edged sword coz you waste 1 turn)
Baton Pass

1st turn: SD if foe doens't have Rock Slide or any rock-type move. Use Protect if it has a rock-type move.
3rd turn: use Batton Pass on any pokemon you like. You like to batton pass on {garchomp} but to me a boosted {metagross} is deadlier but it's your choice.

O.o You too? You like to pass to {metagross} ? o.O Anyway, the problem with your set is that the EVs and nature aren't implemented well; Ninjask will get taken down in one hit 99% of the time, so the investments in HP, defense, and special defense would be a waste. The nature isn't all too helpful either. Generally you'll want a speed boosting nature, such as Jolly (the best one). As for the EVs, you'll want to max attack and put some in HP and Spe. If you want to use an attacking move, then go with X-Scissor, because Silver Wind is special, while X-Scissors is physical, and Ninjask's base attack is higher than its base special attack. The 10% chance of boosting all stats that Silver Wind offers is nice, but having to rely on 10% isn't, so it's not worth it.

Substitute isn't a bad move at all, and you're not really "wasting" moves; you're just stalling. The only thing you can accomplish with it is maxing out speed before a pass. That is what sets it apart from the Focus Sash builds. This is how it should work:

1: Sub, speed boost
2: Protect, speed boost
3: Sub, speed boost
4: Protect, speed boost
5: Sub, speed boost
6: Protect, speed boost

Personally, I don't think it's as effective as the Focus Sash build; I like my Swords Dance boosts. :P

Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:38 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Volke wrote:
O.o You too? You like to pass to ? o.O Anyway, the problem with your set is that the EVs and nature aren't implemented well; Ninjask will get taken down in one hit 99% of the time, so the investments in HP, defense, and special defense would be a waste. The nature isn't all too helpful either. Generally you'll want a speed boosting nature, such as Jolly (the best one). As for the EVs, you'll want to max attack and put some in HP and Spe. If you want to use an attacking move, then go with X-Scissor, because Silver Wind is special, while X-Scissors is physical, and Ninjask's base attack is higher than its base special attack. The 10% chance of boosting all stats that Silver Wind offers is nice, but having to rely on 10% isn't, so it's not worth it.

Substitute isn't a bad move at all, and you're not really "wasting" moves; you're just stalling. The only thing you can accomplish with it is maxing out speed before a pass. That is what sets it apart from the Focus Sash builds. This is how it should work:

Personally, I don't think it's as effective as the Focus Sash build; I like my Swords Dance boosts.

Roar Of Time wrote:

Ninjask@ Focus Sash
176 HP 252 ATK 80 SPEED
Jolly
Substitute
Baton Pass
Swords Dance
X-Scissor / Aerial Ace

Use this set.

True, Ninjask doesn't need all of that speed, but it's not like those EVs are very worthwhile in other stats (well, maybe if you're trying to make it Stealth Rock/ Sandstorm-worthy). I personally like your spread better, but sadly the Ninjask I have is at level 100 with 252 HP/ 6 Atk/ 252 Spe (I dislike trading for EVed Pokemon on Marriland). I don't believe in 6/ 252/ 252 spreads. Max speed has its uses, but the circumstances are uncommon. :( Well, I'm on the fence regarding whether or not to max out (it's not like those HP EVs are very useful either...decisions...decisions).

ophiuchus wrote:
How bout:
Swords Dance
Protect
Baton Pass

O.o You too? You like to pass to {metagross} ? o.O Anyway, the problem with your set is that the EVs and nature aren't implemented well; Ninjask will get taken down in one hit 99% of the time, so the investments in HP, defense, and special defense would be a waste. The nature isn't all too helpful either. Generally you'll want a speed boosting nature, such as Jolly (the best one). As for the EVs, you'll want to max attack and put some in HP and Spe. If you want to use an attacking move, then go with X-Scissor, because Silver Wind is special, while X-Scissors is physical, and Ninjask's base attack is higher than its base special attack. The 10% chance of boosting all stats that Silver Wind offers is nice, but having to rely on 10% isn't, so it's not worth it.

Personally, I don't think it's as effective as the Focus Sash build; I like my Swords Dance boosts. :P

What about your SD? when will you use it knowing that {ninjask} is only 1 hit away from death?

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:33 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Sash helps with that. Altough you have to use that as a lead. Gengar with Hypnosis ruins it, Ice Shard Weavile too. Max speed is to tie with other Ninjaskes, and where you gonna put those? Hp? It will still die Defenses? It will still die. SpAtt? It will still die, and it doesn't use this stat.

Ofcourse, you can try the old Adv set, Sub with Liechi berry.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:16 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

ophiuchus wrote:
What about your SD? when will you use it knowing that {ninjask} is only 1 hit away from death?

That's the point I was trying to make about substitute sets; you'll rarely have time to SD. That's why I don't like sub sets. The berry idea is good though. :D IMO, Focus Sash is better, if you want to pass speed and SD, cuz SD boosts 2 stages, whereas the berries boost only 1, and the max speed that sub offers isn't worth it cuz often times you only need 1-2 speed boosts (unless they're just that slow). The berries are useful if you want to pass something other than speed and attack though. :)

Are there any advantages to having a sub set other than the ones I described? I'm open to all sides; just trying to see if I'm missing something.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:11 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Volke wrote:
That's the point I was trying to make about substitute sets; you'll rarely have time to SD. That's why I don't like sub sets. The berry idea is good though. IMO, Focus Sash is better, if you want to pass speed and SD, cuz SD boosts 2 stages, whereas the berries boost only 1, and the max speed that sub offers isn't worth it cuz often times you only need 1-2 speed boosts (unless they're just that slow). The berries are useful if you want to pass something other than speed and attack though.

so is this the moveset that you are saying?:
{ninjask}@focus sash
Speed Boost | Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
SD
Protect
Silver Wind
Baton Pass

I dunno bout the EVs that it is supposed to have though.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:47 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah, that's the one, except for Silver Wind. It's a special attack, and Ninjask's special attack is worse than its physical attack. On top of that, you're using -Specal Attack nature. Give it X-Scissors instead. As for EV spread, max out speed and attack.

Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]