It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Would this work as a team? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: United Kingdom, or according to Nintendo nowhere as our country normally doesn't exist to them.
I have edited this team and the new one is thurther down the page.

The order isn't fixed so it can be changed if you think it could be better

{altaria} @ Draco Plate
Natural Cure / Modest (+Spec Attk - Attk)
252 Spec.Attk 252 Spd 6 HP
Draco Meteor
Perish Song
Protect
Dragon Pulse

{gallade} @ Scope Lens
Steadfast / Adamant (+Attk - Spec Attk)
252 Attk 126 Def 126 Spec Def 6 Spd
Close Combat / Double Team
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Leaf Blade

{gardevoir} @ Quick Claw
Synchronize / Modest
252 Spec Attk 160 Spd 98 Def
Confuse Ray
Hypnosis
Psychic
Magical Leaf / Shadow Ball

{rotom} @ Damp Rock
Levitate / Modest
252 Spec Attk, 100 Def, 100 Spec Def 58 Spd
Rain Dance
Thunder
Ominous Wind
Double Team

{togekiss} @ Lum Berry
Serene Grace / ?
? Ev's
Aura Sphere / Sky Attack
Air Slash
Fire Blast / Sky Attack
Metronome

{milotic} (n.b. this is a traded event milotic in a cherish, i don't really want to have to get another) @ Never Melt Ice/Mystic Water
Marvel Scale / Bold
252 Spec Attk 129 Def 129 Spd
Surf
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Recover

Any feedback appriciated

Last edited by tpjerematic on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:32 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

you have both surf AND hydro pump on a milotic?
take out hydro pump for a different attack..

you have a tendency to go for the high damage moves.
i suggest, that while they are expensive to the extreme in d/p
you use flamethrower thunderbolt icebeam.

also for altaria, draco meteor+dragon pulse is rather unnecessary.
why not put EQ on altaria?

For gardevoir, this is the moveset I use:
{gardevoir}@lax incense
trace / modest
255 sp atk 255 spd
calm mind
psychic
confuse ray
thunderbolt

trace is fun, cause, whil;e it might be bad in the in game wild battles and stuff, in competition and the battle tower, you can pick up some nifty abilities (such as marvel scale, limber, levitate, aftermath, etc.)

i like the gallade. : )
i suggest you go with close combat, good for countering darks.
if the evs are set in stone go with it. if not, i suggest putting more into speed. Gallade is like a physical gardevoir, and they aren't the fastest of pokemon, i.e. a sharpedo will annihilate either i think.

rotom is interesting. i'm not quite sure what to make of it.
i suppose for it's fine.

for togekiss, there are many many many movesets out there. i personally have not raised one yet, so i can't say. but this one seems like it could be improved.

For the milotic, maybe raindance for support? or even dragonpulse.
lotsa good choices instead of hydro pump i think.

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:56 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: Definately not dimension 12. No, you don't know about that one yet.
Gallade and Gardevoir on the same team? No. Get rid of Gallade. Gardevoir is a better all-around pokemon. If you want a fighter, use a good one, like Machamp, Lucario, Heracross, etc. Gallade and Gardevoir are both part, or fully, psychic. A ghost type attack could plow right through half of your team.

I respect you for having the guts to use Rotom, however. I'd use Rotom every now and then if I had him, but the Old Chateu creeps me out, especially at night. People say Rotom is bad, but if you gve Rotom a chance, it's not terrible. It's not the best, but that adds to the challenge, which in turn adds to the fun if you ask me.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:50 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

oh, you're just prejudiced against gallade!
what do you think the night slash and shdaow ball were for?
to stop ghosts! : )

like i said, gallade IS a physical gardevoir with fighting type.
nothing wrong with it.

incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:58 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

lordtomato wrote:
oh, you're just prejudiced against gallade!
what do you think the night slash and shdaow ball were for?
to stop ghosts! : )

like i said, gallade IS a physical gardevoir with fighting type.
nothing wrong with it.

And as you yourself just inadvertently, ghosts aren't the only ghost type attack users. Just look at the list for shadow ball. See the normal list? Sableye, a ghost/dark, is on there. Now the TM/HM list.

Well, it's so long, go look yourself. See? all those pokemon can learn it. Not all of them are ghost types, either.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:14 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

almost every pokemon has bad weaknesses.
nothing to completely eliminate a certain type of pokemon out of consideration for.

incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:22 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

haga11111 wrote:
Gallade and Gardevoir on the same team? No. Get rid of Gallade. Gardevoir is a better all-around pokemon.
lol

Gallade is OU, Gardevoir is BL.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:31 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: United Kingdom, or according to Nintendo nowhere as our country normally doesn't exist to them.
lordtomato wrote:
you have both surf AND hydro pump on a milotic?

That was how it came out of the GTS. I didnt think to remove it.

lordtomato wrote:
also for altaria, draco meteor+dragon pulse is rather unnecessary.
why not put EQ on altaria?

n00b question, but EQ IS earthquake, right?

haga11111 wrote:
I respect you for having the guts to use Rotom, however.

haga11111 wrote:
Gallade and Gardevoir on the same team? No. Get rid of Gallade. Gardevoir is a better all-around pokemon. If you want a fighter, use a good one, like Machamp, Lucario, Heracross, etc. Gallade and Gardevoir are both part, or fully, psychic. A ghost type attack could plow right through half of your team.

i was looking at lucario, i just felt that gallade would be more useful with his range of attack types (fighting, grass, dark and psychic)

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:51 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

yup! EQ be earthquake!

lucario is better as a special not physical like gallade is. i think.
lucario gets fight psychic and dark too.

but, it is true, it would take out the ghost attack thing.

incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

lordtomato wrote:
yup! EQ be earthquake!

lucario is better as a special not physical like gallade is. i think.
lucario gets fight psychic and dark too.

but, it is true, it would take out the ghost attack thing.
How does Lucario, a Steel/Fighting, get Psychic and Dark weaknesses? Fighting and Steel BOTH resist dark, and steel resists psychic. His/her only weaknesses are Fighting, Ground and Fire.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:57 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

i meant attacks. : )

incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:03 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

no dragon dance on the altaria? shame

(of course i'm a noob when it comes to competative battling but...)

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

So, are you using this one against me? Or an uber team? I might take out Rotom and replace it with Raichu.

Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:42 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

No Rotom, No Raichu. Both are UU. If you want good electric type, use Light ball pikachu or Magnezone. Electrivire is also acceptable, as I used to beat Uber teams with Electabuzz in Netbattle. If you want Ghost, use Gengar. One of the best in the game what it comes to SSweeping. I would replace Altaria with DDMence. But if you can't, use Draco meteor / Pulse, Flamethrower, Ice beam and Rest. (Smogon is down, I can't check there)
You should note that he has only 70 Att and SpAtt stats so...

If you have any problems with breeding, Egg moves, IV:s or EV:s, you can ask me. Feel free to ask other things related to competive battling.

Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:58 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

koipen wrote:
No Rotom, No Raichu. Both are UU. If you want good electric type, use Light ball pikachu or Magnezone. Electrivire is also acceptable, as I used to beat Uber teams with Electabuzz in Netbattle. If you want Ghost, use Gengar. One of the best in the game what it comes to SSweeping. I would replace Altaria with DDMence. But if you can't, use Draco meteor / Pulse, Flamethrower, Ice beam and Rest. (Smogon is down, I can't check there)
You should note that he has only 70 Att and SpAtt stats so...

Why you little Smogon follower, are you telling her to get rid of her creativity? The most valuable trait ANY competitive battler has, other than skills and wits? How come you're telling her not to use Rotom or Altaria? I admire original people who use some other things than the conventional. Besides, how do you know she's not using them just because they're her favourites?

I say that many people must get use to the idea that Winning is not the important thing, having fun using your favourites is the important thing here, heck I use a Ledian in OU.

Alright, I'll give you a tip or two, tpjerematic. Your set for Togekiss is fine, I would not expect Fire Blast on it, but for the sake of accuracy and PP, go with Flamethrower as Togekiss has enough Sp. Att to pull it well, oh and Metronome is just one hell of a funny move, but if you want, you can trade fun for security and teach it Thunder Wave because I'm sure you wouldn't want to breed for Nasty Plot all over again.

You can also drop either Dragon-type attack from your Altaria and use Roost, because you'll need survivability if you want to pull Altaria correctly, but I think Perish Song is just for killing BP Chains or Ingrain-ed Smeargles/Cradilys, not to let it kill you along with them.

Another thing, try not to use Double Team, it's banned from competitions, why not trying Substitute on that Rotom? It learns it on it's own anyway. My In-game Rotom has Charge, and it's like a pseudo Calm Mind-Sub settlement, which is cool.

I hope I helped.

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:34 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

AABM wrote:
Why you little Smogon follower, are you telling her to get rid of her creativity? The most valuable trait ANY competitive battler has, other than skills and wits? How come you're telling her not to use Rotom or Altaria? I admire original people who use some other things than the conventional. Besides, how do you know she's not using them just because they're her favourites?

Thanks

AABM wrote:
Alright, I'll give you a tip or two, tpjerematic. Your set for Togekiss is fine, I would not expect Fire Blast on it, but for the sake of accuracy and PP, go with Flamethrower as Togekiss has enough Sp. Att to pull it well, oh and Metronome is just one hell of a funny move, but if you want, you can trade fun for security and teach it Thunder Wave because I'm sure you wouldn't want to breed for Nasty Plot all over again.

See i was in two minds over metronome, its a risk as i dont know what move it will use. However it can help in taking other pokes down.

AABM wrote:
You can also drop either Dragon-type attack from your Altaria and use Roost, because you'll need survivability if you want to pull Altaria correctly, but I think Perish Song is just for killing BP Chains or Ingrain-ed Smeargles/Cradilys, not to let it kill you along with them.

I put Perish Song on the list as a way of forcing an opponent of switching out.

AABM wrote:
Another thing, try not to use Double Team, it's banned from competitions, why not trying Substitute on that Rotom? My Rotom has Charge,

so what would you suggest i would use then. im leaning to sub as it would help with the rain dance / thunder combo.

Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:10 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Roost would definitely help {altaria}. The only thing that concerns me is whether or not you could use it before it faints. It's not exactly fast either...eh, you're going to have to decide for yourself whether or not you think it can work. I never thought of this, but because it has Natural Cure, you can use Rest and get away with it, at least if you plan on switching out (roost is still better).

I don't know why everyone thinks Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse can't be on the same set. It most certainly can. I mean, Specsmence uses both of them without question. You can use Altaria like a mini Specsmence. Give it a Choice Specs and have it hit and run. Draco Meteor early and mid game. Dragon Pulse is there for the end game to finish sweeping. Use Flamethrower or Fire Blast for those pesky steel types. I prefer Flamethrower because it's more accurate.

Depends on whether or not you want to use it as a physical or special attacker, you can teach it Dragon Dance. That definitely solves the speed issue.

Perish Song isn't a bad move to cause switches. Hm, I've never thought of using that move as a phazer. Lol, "Switch or Die!" Careful though, it doesn't guarantee an instant switch. The opponent might stay in and wreak havoc for another 2 turns, then switch out on the third. Don't be discouraged to use it though. I think it will work. If you ever want to try something else out, a status move is a nice option.

I don't quite agree with the item, but that's just my opinion. I think the boost is too small. Life Orb, Leftovers, or even a berry are some thoughts. Yache is good to stop those annoying Ice Beams. Garchomp survives an Ice Beam, so I'm certain Altaria will too, since it has better Special Defense.

{gallade}'s turn: Since Gallade is more of a fighter, I'd say add more to his speed. Might I sugggest Swords Dance for Gallade? I checked his base stats on smogon, and his special defense is really good. Nice. :)

Not sure what to do about {gardevoir}. I don't know much about it.

Mm, {rotom} is going to be hard to use if you really want to use that moveset. First, it's going to need to use Rain Dance (if you want to use this moveset). I think it's fast enough to pull it off. It's the surviving part that I'm concerned about. I was gonna say to give it a Focus Sash, so it could survive and hit with Thunder, but if you want the rain to last longer, then you're gonna want Damp Rock. Depends on how long you want the rain to last. If you want to replace Double Team, then go with either Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp. Funny, something just hit me: Rotom uses Double Team, so it could avoid attacks, because it can't take hits. Lol, I never realized that till now. Then again, evasion is all about luck.

Grr...{togekiss}. That is one evil Pokemon. It is so freaking annoying to fight against. I HATE fighting against the Flinchkiss. Serene Grace is one amazing ability. Couple that with Air Slash and it's everlasting marriage. They're perfect for each other. <-- Yeah, um, anyway, a 60% flinch rate is crazy powerful. Let's see what we have: 75% BP + STAB + 60% Flinch + Togekiss's high Sp.Atk + Good speed = Angry opponent. I don't trust Sky Attack and Metronome. Besides, Air Slash is all you need. :wink: Sky Attack, well, the whole "wait a turn" doesn't sit well with me. It's just a free setup for the enemy. Besides, you could do more damage to a foe over two turns. Ex: Air Slash does 225 bp (112.5 because of stab x 2) over 2 turns. Your opponent will most likely be flinching, so it's as if they never had a turn.

Metronome is just random. Gimmicky, but random. It'd be cool to end the match with something as weird as that, but there are many moves that are bad: Helping Hand, Splash, Frustration (I certainly hope you aren't a mean trainer), Fury Cutter (try getting that multiple times in a row), etc. Roost would definitely work wonders with a bulky Pokemon like this. It has great special defense, and its defense isn't too shabby either, so it'll survive many attacks. Nasty Plot would be a good move to use, but I think that's an egg move. Mm, try Toxic or Thunder Wave. Thunder Wave makes them slower, so you can flinch more freely. Aura Sphere is good. Leftovers is another good item if you don't like Lum Berry. Here are some EV spreads that I pulled off Smogon:

252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD - This is the spread for the Flinch set, but you're welcome to use the other one.

252 HP / 152 SpA / 104 Spe

{milotic}'s turn: I think you should give more defense. It shouldn't need a lot of speed. Most sets don't use a lot of speed but then again, that's up to you. Depends on what you want your Milotic to do (defense/offense), but take some sp.Atk and give it to HP. Hypnosis or Toxic/status moves should take the place of Hydro Pump.

Your team overall: Watch out for ice attacks. It's a popular move, and a lot of your teammates will take a devastating blow from it. Togekiss has a higher survival rate, compared to the others, but it's still weak to the move. Hopefully Milotic will help ease the problem.

Electric types, especially Electivire (it has Ice Punch) may be a problem for your team, seeing how you don't pack an Earthquake, nor do your Pokemon resist Electivire real well. Electivire is pretty fast too. Gyarados will be difficult to take out, since only one of your members has an electric attack, and it's frail, so you'd better make sure he stays alive. :mad: Or teach more electric attacks (be smart about it though). Or you can slow it down with Thunder Wave and flinch it repeatedly (careful for ice fang when thunder waving, if you use thunder wave with Togekiss).

Water types could be annoying, but I think you have quite a few things that can deal with them. Altaria won't be too helpful, when it comes to dealing with dragons, unless they're weakened, slow (thunder wave), or asleep (hypnosis). Milotic will be your main answer to those threats. Ice beam should destroy them. Watch out when fighting a Garchomp (or any dragon for that matter); he might be holding a Yache berry.

Whew, took me about an hour and a half to type this up. Hope this helps. :wink:

Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:44 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Wow that was a long reply, and a lot of good tips

This is the team with some of the changes listed here

I will also try and explain my choices too ... :lol:

{altaria} @ ENIGMA BERRY
Natural Cure / Mild (+Spec Attk - Def)
252 Spec Attk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
Draco Meteor
Perish Song
Protect / Flame thrower (This is a bit of a toss up between survivability and being effect against more types)
Earthquake

This Altaria now should be a good poke to deal with a range of attacks. The enigma berry was a late brain wave, it deals with ALL weaknesses and users trying to use them to KO it.

{gallade} @ Scope Lens
Steadfast / Adamant (+Attk - Spec Attk)
252 Attk, 58 Def, 200 Spd
Close Combat
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Leaf Blade

Only a change in EV spread here. Speed is going to be important with him.

{gardevoir} @ Quick Claw
Synchronize / Bold (+Defence - Attk)
252 Spec Attk, 160 Spd, 98 Def
Confuse Ray
Hypnosis
Psychic
Shadow Ball

Im going with Bold over Modest for two reasons. 1 My modest ditto has 0 spec atk IV's and 2 i feel that an EV trained Gardevoir should be enough to utilise Spec Attks, seeing as it's base Stat is very high. Also an EV spread change. I went with Shadow Ball over Magical Leaf to help damage Ghost types.

{rotom} @ Damp Rock
Levitate / Modest
252 Spec Attk, 100 Def, 100 Spec Def, 58 Spd
Rain Dance
Thunder
Ominous Wind
Substitute

Replaced DT with Sub, would probably use moves in this order: Rain Dance, Substitute, Thunder until throughly roasted. :D

{togekiss} @ Lum Berry
Serene Grace / Bashful (all equal)
60 Def, 252 Spec Attk, 78 Spec Def, 120 Spd
Aura Sphere
Air Slash
Fire Blast / Flame Thrower (if i can afford it :lol: i hate the game corner with a passion. it is an utter waste of time.)
Metronome

Serene Grace means that not only does air slash stand a good chance of causing a flinch, fire blast can burn as well. The Lum Berry will stop any side effects of Metronome producing status self-harming moves.

{milotic} @ Never Melt Ice
Marvel Scale / Bold (+ Def - Attk)
252 Spec Attk, 129 Def, 129 Spd
Surf
Toxic
Ice Beam
Recover

Replaced Hydro Pump with Toxic to act as an annoyer.

n.b. that was a lot of thinking. hopefully its a better team now

Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:18 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

{altaria}'s EV spread doesn't look too bad. You might end up having to switch out quite a few times, cuz of Draco Meteor's Sp.Atk drop. Just telling you in advance. See if Altaria's Hidden Power is Ground. If it is, then that might be better than Earthquake, since you're specializing in special attack.

{gallade} looks alright. I like the Scope Lens idea. :wink:

{gardevoir}: I don't think that a Bold nature would help it, since its defense is already low, and you don't have that many EVs in def. Assuming that you have perfect defense IVs, your Gardy's defense will hit 209. What you could do is IV breed, and when you get a good Modest/Timid/Calm female, switch it out with the Ditto. Gardevoir doesn't have to run a modest nature, just that Bold doesn't seem worth it. If you still want to use that Gardevoir, then maybe invest the Def EVs into HP instead. As for the moveset, Will-O-Wisp will definitely scare away physical attackers, since it weakens their physical attack stat. I think it's more effective than Confuse Ray.

{rotom}: I'd say have him go at full speed. The remaining 6 EVs can go into HP. He's really frail, so he can barely take a hit. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if Damp Rock is necessary. It really only helps Rotom and Milotic. For the sake of survival and pulling off at least 1 Thunder, I would suggest giving him a Focus Sash. Shadow Ball is stronger than Ominous Wind, unless you're trying to use that 10% chance of boosting all of your stats. Status is another option over Sub. Just a thought.

{togekiss} looks fine. An alternate spread would be to max out HP, then dump the rest into sp.atk, defense/sp.def/spe. The Lum Berry is a good idea, but for what you plan to use it for, it doesn't seem too effective; I don't know many moves that will status you in the process. See if you can add Roost to your moveset. It really helps Togekiss's bulkiness; it's not as fast as I first thought (80 base isn't too bad though). I would suggest it over Fire Blast/Flamethrower, because Aura Sphere and Air Slash already hits every type for at least super-effective damage. Just know your typings. :wink:

{milotic} doesn't need any speed EVs. I would suggest a spread like this: 148 HP / 228 Def / 132 SpA. Its bulkiness allows it to defend and counterattack well, combined with Recover, it should last you quite a while. Give it Leftovers instead of Nevermelt Ice. That's a good choice with Toxic.

Whoops, I may have overdone it again. :oops: Major critical thinking going on in that head of mine. lol

Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]