It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 A question about switching out 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If somebody has a Lapras that uses Perish Song...

-and then switches to an Umbreon

-The Umbreon uses Mean Look so I can't switch out

Is Perish Song still in effect?

-If so, for my PKMN, my opponent's or both?

-If I switched my own PKMN out before Umbreon got pulled out would it still have an effect on my Pokemon?

I'll be very grateful if somebody could answer my questions ^-^

Newest: Kangaskhan

Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Your question is a little confusing but from what I know Perish Song's effects ends for a particular Pokemon once and only once it switches out. Switching is the only way to end Perish Song's effects for any Pokemon who got affected. as such the condition remains even if the one who used it switched out. You can use Perish Song, switch out, and the opponent will still be effected by Perish Song. :wink:

Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:41 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

nope, it wouldnt have an effect on your pokemon...everyone's will perish count will be done with once you leave the battlefield, just be sure not to baton pass out of their...because then the perish count would be passed on to them

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:22 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Okay, let me describe it as a battle... this would be an online battle between me and someone else;

Emily sent out Umbreon!
Umbreon uses Mean Look!
*Umbreon uses Baton Pass*
Lapras was sent out!
Lapras used Perish Song!

Would anyone still be affected by Perish Song?

I used the Damage Calculator and Pokemon Comparer to see what I could get if I did this:

And of course, Giratina has higher speed.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yes. An obvious yes. Your Umbreon using Mean Look and Baton Pass has no effect what so ever on your Lapras' Perish Song. The main point here is, Lapras USED Perish Song. Which means your opponent IS effected by Perish Song, if you switch Lapras out, the condition will still remain for your opponent. I repeat. Nothing, Absoluetly Nothing, removes Perish Song's effects unless the affected Pokemon switches out.

Just remember this, once a Pokemon's affected by Perish Song, it dies within 3 turns unless and only unless it switches out. Nothing can alter that condition, it is not affected by whatever the opponent does, unless the opponent forces you to switch with Roar etc.

Anyway, for your experiment, No Umbreon has a pathetic Special Defense of 150 at lvl 100.
:)

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:56 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: Definately not dimension 12. No, you don't know about that one yet.
Also, if you're this afraid of Perish Song, why not get a pokemon with soundproof? A lot of annoying attacks (like sing) are no longer affective against it, and perish song also has no effect.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:41 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Really? What about haze? Does it matter if you or your opponent use it? If no, then man, Perish Song just keeps getting cooler and cooler. I might make one.

Another question: What if the Perish Song caster faints? Does it get rid of it? Probably no, but just to make sure.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:11 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Volke wrote:
Really? What about haze? Does it matter if you or your opponent use it? If no, then man, Perish Song just keeps getting cooler and cooler. I might make one.

Another question: What if the Perish Song caster faints? Does it get rid of it? Probably no, but just to make sure.

If the Perish Song user used it on a switch pokemon, it will be affected even if it faints, example:

Lapras used Perish Song
Opponent switch

Lapras has 3 turns to live
Opponent has 3 turns to live

Lapras used Perish Song
Opponent switch

Lapras has 2 turns to live
Opponent has 3 turns to live

So even though user faints by their own move, you still have the amount left to switch out before it reaches zero.

On a side note: Use a Soundproof pokemon to block that move Gardevoir, or if not, use Taunt. Taunt can torture them more than having Soundproof as an ability.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

So all I really need to do is get a really good Pokémon with Soundproof and all my worries would be over? I'll go look up ones with that ability, thanks ^-^

*Yeah now that you pointed that out, I don't know what it's level really is. Does the level automatically change to be equal in a wi-fi battle?*

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

thats incorrect shadow-jolteon.

this topic is getting ridiculously complicated, for something that is very simple. not to mention that sapphirath has already answered it perfectly well.

if a pokemon uses perish song, then any pokemon who hears it (ie every pokemon who is present during the turn perish song is used, including the pokemon who actually USED perish song - note that it may be 2 or 4 pokemon, depending on whether it is a single or double battle) will die after 3 turns. in other words, if a pokemon who hears perish song is STILL in battle after three more turns (without switching in between), it will die at the end of the turn. an easy way to get around this problem is to switch out as soon as perish song is used - the pokemon who switches out has their perish count removed, and they are not effected anymore (even if they switch back in) - the pokemon who is sent in next is not affected by perish song, because they didnt hear it in the first place. this goes for the pokemon who USES perish song as well - if it switches out then it will survive, if it stays in then it will die after the third turn after it used perish song.

its all best explained by using examples:

SCENARIO 1:
1st turn. lapras uses perish song. the other pokemon (say shuckle) does some move which doesnt KO lapras. at the end of the turn a message comes up saying that both pokemon have a perish count of 3.
2nd turn. lapras and shuckle both do some move that doesnt KO. a message says both pokemon have a perish count of 2.
3rd turn. lapras and shuckle both do some move that doesnt KO. a message says both pokemon have a perish count of 1.
4th turn. lapras and shuckle both do some move that doesnt KO. at the end of the turn a message comes up saying that both pokemon have a perish count of 0. they both die.

SCENARIO 2:
1st turn. lapras uses perish song. shuckle does some move. at the end of the turn a message comes up saying that both pokemon have a perish count of 3.
2nd turn. lapras switches out and is replaced by something else. shuckle switches out to something else.

the result in this case is that lapras and shuckle got out of dying from perish song. the new pokemon are not affected by it in any way. however, you can try and be tricky. for example:

SCENARIO 3:
1st turn. lapras uses perish song. shuckle does some move. at the end of the turn a message comes up saying that both pokemon have a perish count of 3.
2nd turn. lapras switches out and is replaced by wobbuffet. shuckle stays in and uses a move which doesnt KO wobbuffet. a message comes up saying that shuckle's perish count is 2.

in this case, shuckle still has a perish count since it stayed in the battle (wobbuffet is ok, since it didnt hear the song). however, it will not be able to switch out now due to wobbuffet's shadow tag (would have been similar if it was dugtrio - arena trap - instead of wobbuffet). its only hope of surviving now will be to kill wobbuffet (haha) on the next turn (or hope wobb switches) so it can switch out before its perish count falls to 0 and it dies.

SCENARIO 4:
2nd turn. lapras switches out and is replaced by umbreon. shuckle stays in and uses a move which doesnt KO umbreon. a message comes up saying that shuckle's perish count is 2.
3rd turn. umbreon uses mean look. shuckle stays in and uses a move which doesnt KO umbreon. a message comes up saying that shuckle's perish count is 1.

in this case, shuckle is trapped and cant avoid dying on the next turn. it cant switch because of mean look. umbreon is free to switch if it wants, but shuckle is trapped (even if umbreon decided to switch out).

this strategy is pretty obvious though, and would normally be used in reverse, more like this:

SCENARIO 5:
1st turn. umbreon uses mean look. shuckle does some move that doesnt KO umbreon.
2nd turn. umbreon uses baton pass and sends out lapras. shuckle stays in and uses a move which doesnt KO lapras. (lapras is now out there, and shuckle is still trapped by mean look - it is as if lapras used mean look itself.)
3rd turn. lapras uses perish song. shuckle stays in and uses a move which doesnt KO lapras. a message comes up saying that both pokemon have a perish count of 3.
4th turn. both pokemon stay out but dont KO. a message says the perish counts are now 2.
5th turn. both pokemon stay out but dont KO. a message says the perish counts are now 1.

now lapras can switch out, hence avoiding death by perish song. but because of mean look, shuckle is trapped, and will die at the end of the next turn.

note though that you have to be careful about using baton pass if you have heard perish song.

SCENARIO 6:
1st turn. lapras uses perish song. umbreon uses mean look. umbreon and lapras have a perish count of 3.
2nd turn. lapras uses some move that doesnt KO. umbreon uses baton pass, and sends out shuckle. the message will say that lapras and shuckle have a perish count of 2. etc.

so, even though shuckle didnt HEAR the perish song, since umbreon DID hear it and used baton pass, the effect will be the same as if shuckle DID hear it. ie it will die a couple of turns later if it doesnt switch. of course it is free to switch on the 4th turn, and it will survive although lapras will die.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:41 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Gothic Gardevoir wrote:
So all I really need to do is get a really good Pokémon with Soundproof and all my worries would be over? I'll go look up ones with that ability, thanks ^-^

*Yeah now that you pointed that out, I don't know what it's level really is. Does the level automatically change to be equal in a wi-fi battle?*

Yes, and if you have a level 1 pokemon for example, Wi-Fi going bring your temporarely pokemon from level 1 to either level 50 or 100 (this is not a real leveling up). Once you leave Wi-Fi you will have back that level 1

Also here's all the pokemon can learn soundproof

Electrode family
Mr. Mime family - Bug Buzz which is Super Effective is now Unaffected
Exploud family

Here is the list what Soundproof blocks:
- Bug Buzz
- Chatter
- Grasswhistle
- Growl
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice
- Metal Sound