It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Difficult Daydreams 
Fails at life
Fails at life

Jackie was losing herself in her daydreams again. As she lay in the grass in her plain backyard, her brown hair falling lazily between the blades of grass, she wondered why such boredom had befell her.

She sighed optimistically, looking at the forget-me-not blue sky.

When she closed her eyes, she drifted into another daydream, this one as crazy and exciting as the last.

Jackie found herself in a similar setting, except her house, and all the other houses surrounding it, had disappeared, only to be replaced with what looked like a never ending plain of long green grass, and the same forget-me-not sky. She looked around, curiously.

Suddenly a young girl, only of about six, with a pink skirt and blond pigtails ran up to her. She looks adorable, Jackie thought. I wonder where she came from?

The little girl tugged on Jackie's own black skirt and looked up to her with her big, blue eyes. She looked afraid. She tugged at the skirt, and then grabbed Jackie's hand, pulling her forward.

Almost stumbling over her bare feet, Jackie followed the girl as she led her through the grass. She wondered what was causing the little girl to look so frightened. She worried about what she was leading her to. Jackie'd to anything to help the little girl, but she didn't know if she was going to be fully able to.

The little girl slowed, and looked down, sniffing. A circular blue being with a black, zig-zag tail and an equally sized blue buoy was laying there, unconscious.

Azurill! Jackie thought. I'm daydreaming about Pokemon, again.

The little girl looked up at Jackie again. "Please, save her!" She cried. "There was a mean Houndour who hurt her and me!"

Jackie looked down, and then dropped to her knees, placing one hand on each of the girl's elbows. "Where did you get hurt?" She asked softly.

The girl sniffed and lifted her skirt, showing a grazed knee. Jackie looked at it, and wished she could do something to help. Feeling helpless, she simply rubbed it better and made the little girl sit down on the grass. She then turned to the Pokemon.

Azurill was hurt badly. Jackie petted it softly, not knowing what else to do. She picked up the small Pokemon and took it to the girl, making the girl hold onto it as one would hold onto a small child.

"Look after her, okay?" Jackie said. "I'll be right back."

Jackie decided to set off to find some water to clean up the young girl's cut, and maybe a few berries for Azurill. She had only walked for a few minutes when she came to a clear blue stream that gently trickled over the rocks at the bottom.

"How lucky," Jackie said softly to herself, smiling. "A river, and some berries right beside it!"

Jackie picked a few berries and dropped them into the brown bag she had been wearing when she was laying in her backyard. She opened up her water bottle and filled it with the water from the stream. When she had capped the bottle and put it back in her bag, about to hurry back, she heard cries from where she had left the girl and the Houndour.

Throwing her bag violently back over her shoulder, Jackie rushed back to where she had left the pair. She was panting when she got back, seeing the same Houndour growling at the young girl, who was hiding her Azurill behind her back.

Jackie gasped, not knowing what to do. She just knew that if she didn't distract it somehow, Houndour was going to hurt the girl again.

Feeling a rock under her toe, Jackie picked it up and threw it as fast as she could at the Houndour.

Success! Jackie thought. It hit!

Houndour looked away from the young girl, but set her eyes on Jackie.

"Oh no..." Jackie whispered.

She moved her foot around, feeling for more rocks, but all she felt was the damp soil and grass. She began to cower backwards, thinking of what she could possibly do.

"Flygon, Earthquake!" A voice shouted. It was older, and male.

The quake sent Jackie flying backwards, landing on the ground. But the Houndour was worse off than she was -- it looked like it had fainted.

A young man -- probably about 18 -- walked up to Jackie. His black overcoat looked out of place in the beautiful plain. Jackie rubbed her ankle where she had twisted it when she fell. The man held her stare with his cold gray eyes for a moment.

An eternity later, he turned away.

"Return, Houndour."

The Pokemon returned to its ball, and the young girl was trembling even more. The man turned back to Jackie.

"You helped her." He said, coldly. It wasn't a question. "You didn't know her."

Jackie looked up, fearful. It's only daydream, she reminded herself. Just my imagination, going crazy again.

It was as if the storm clouds were rolling in... But she knew it was just the man's shadow.

"And now, look." He said. "You helped her, and now you're lying on the ground with a hurt ankle, and I'm about to kill you."

Jackie gasped, petrified in fear.

"Nothing to say?" He asked. "Not that it matters."

He turned to the green dragon still floating beside him.

"Flygon, you know what to do."

Flygon flew forward, preparing to throw it's sharp claws at Jackie.

"No!" The girl shouted, running forward. "Azurill! Bubble!"

A few weak bubbles shot from Azurill. They hardly even seemed to affect Flygon at all.

Jackie stared at the man, the Pokemon, and then the young girl.

Flygon flew forward as Jackie turned away, leaving a dark cut in the back of Jackie's leg. She knew it was bleeding, but she stood up, ignoring her injured ankle, and ran and ran as far as she could. She could feel the pain in her ankle and her leg, but she just kept running.

She ran until inhaling was like stabbing each tissue of her lungs with an iron hot knife. She sat down, closed her eyes, silently shedding tears. The storm clouds really had just rolled in...

"Don't trust so easily." She heard. And then she fainted.

When she awoke, she saw her house, her grass, her forget-me-not sky. Her bag was beside her, with no berries, and no water bottle from the stream.

Jackie sighed, relieved. It was one of those dreams she was glad wasn't reality.

As she tried to stand, she felt a sharp pain in her leg. She looked down.

Blood was still pouring from Flygon's cut.

* To be continued.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:08 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Your story's really interesting. I like mysterious characters with big twists. Together, they're a very powerful combination, in my opinion. Well done. :)

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]