It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Starter types 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I've been wondering for a while.... Why do they always do Fire-Grass-Water starters? I personally think it's getting a bit boring... For once, I wish they had a new 3-way combo. So this is the reason for this thread! If you were to start up a new generation, what types would your starters be? (within the "strong vs one and weak vs the other" rule)

I'd love to see a Dark-->Psychic-->Fighting combo. They could make things much more interesting!

What do you think?

Sat May 16, 2009 6:05 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Very balanced combo of types.
Semi-Rare types to find in the wild.
It's good to start with.

Dark-Psychic-Fighting is too... unbalanced.

Besides, they are tending toward secondary types of Grass/Ground, Water/Steel, and Fire/Fighting, which balances out the three types even more.

It's fine how it is, in my opinion.

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Sat May 16, 2009 7:12 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Fire isn't exactly common in Gen 4... There are... 2 in Sinnoh? The starter, Chimchar, and Ponyta, I believe. Does that make Chimchar unbalanced? Not really...

Sat May 16, 2009 7:22 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

lordtomato wrote:
Besides, they are tending toward secondary types of Grass/Ground, Water/Steel, and Fire/Fighting, which balances out the three types even more.

Um... they used this trio of types exactly one time as starters, so I don't how that's "tending toward" anything. The only exception is Fire/Fighting because of Blaziken, but we've had two consecutive starters with the same typing before Blaziken/Infernape too (Blastoise/Feraligatr or Meganium/Sceptile). And the three types aren't really that balanced in Diamond and Pearl, because Empoleon's secondary typing loses to both Torterra AND Infernape's secondary typings.

Psychic, Fighting and Dark IS too unbalanced, though, because Dark has an immunity against Psychic. And there are trios of types that align perfectly the way that the current three standards match up, but they still don't work as well. Grass, Fire and Water are a classic trio of elemental matches that are straightforward for the little kids to grasp so that they can understand the rock/paper/scissor aspect of type matchups.

Sat May 16, 2009 7:49 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I Personaly like the Fire-Water-Grass set especially when they are mixed with other types to give them diversity.

But if it wasnt, how about Rock-Bug-Grass?

My Soul Silver Team:
{feraligatr} {charizard} {sceptile} {ampharos} {crobat} {scizor}

Tue May 19, 2009 10:15 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Rock/Bug/Grass isn't even. Rock doesn't resist Bug and Grass doesn't resist Rock, but Bug does resist Grass.

The beauty of the Grass/Water/Fire combo is that, in addition to being a very logical triangle, the types are equal to each other within that triangle. One type has an offensive AND defensive advantage against one of the other types and an offensive and defensive disadvantage against the third. There are other type match-ups in the game that mirror this, but they aren't nearly as inherent as "Water puts out fire, fire burns plants, plants absorb water."

Fighting/Flying/Rock is similar to the Grass/Fire/Water triangle in type match-ups, but it's so much less natural.

Tue May 19, 2009 10:52 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

YAY!!! For once Frost isn't being a downer!! I like that idea!

-Ryan

Tue May 19, 2009 3:29 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Fire - Steel - Rock works
Fire melts steel, Steel breaks rock, rocks don't burn

Tue May 19, 2009 4:15 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

/vXv\ wrote:
Fire - Steel - Rock works
Fire melts steel, Steel breaks rock, rocks don't burn

Hmm........Note to self: Must try to burn rocks.

My Soul Silver Team:

Wed May 20, 2009 8:31 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Rock - Ice - Grass

Wed May 20, 2009 1:01 pm
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Dargad wrote:
Why do they always do Fire-Grass-Water starters? I personally think it's getting a bit boring...

Pokemon is the ultimate example of "don't fix what isn't broken" The only thing that ever changes is the location and the main character (barely). That, and they add more pokemon.

Is it really much of a surprise that the starters are always Fire-Grass-Water?

Honestly, the only game that can hold a candle to the way Game Freak treats the main games of this series is the Zelda series. Only difference is they do a better job at making it look like the game is different.

Inb4 Zelda fanboys, I like the series, but come on. 8 dungeons and some random item that wasn't in any of the old games. Rivals the pokemon series in it's ability to slap on a new paint job and act like it's something entirely new.

"DERP I'M A DUMBASS :B"

Thu May 21, 2009 1:12 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

remember, Pokemon is gearerd toward little tykes. They have evn changed the newest series oif shows and some previous ones so that meowth just about reacts witht he audience.
Pokemon, games and all is not gearedv towards 20 year old players that have the emchanics down to an art. We would love some variety, but the designers at Game Freak don't give a gnat's toot about what we think. It's pleasing to the children, and although it would add some very nice variety, isn't the same conecpt. A kid can literally visuallize the types working RL against each other as theys atnd now.
I could see the grass absorbing its water, the water putting out a fire, and the grass being burned black.
If i were still ten, i would not be able to see how a fighting type pokemon gets killed by a man with psychic powers.
It isn't that WE can't comprehend it, its that THEY don't. Also, as a little tyke, i only learned which type beat which by experience and the handy"Not very effective Tag". Today, i am still learning the final curves in that system so that things are complete.
Right now, i am trying to get the kinks out of the Bug, Rock, Flying type anomally.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:04 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I thought of this:

Rock--->Flying--->Fighting ???

My Soul Silver Team:

Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:10 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

empoleon99: I like that idea. But who would you choose? Remember all starters would have three evolutionary forms...I mean I guess you would just make new pokemon.

The flying types are easy, in each new generation there is another group of flying pokemon that you can acquire in the beginning. But rock and fighting would be a problem.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:05 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

dyvius is so right. this game is for kids. meaning 10 year olds. they can c water putting out fire, grass absorb water and burning grass. its simple yet a perfect balance to them. yknow intruiging. for us... veterans the fire water grass idea gets repetitive. really the pokemon franchise is for little kid audiences. :wink:

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:36 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I say Dragon, Normal, and Bug starters. Just cause they've never done it. I wouldn't mind a dragon starter.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:09 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

to be honest, im more than happy with the three types we have now, if i cant get a fire starter in any of the future games ill be furious :evil: , a few new interesting type combinations for the starter final evos would be awesome though, oh and above, wouldnt a dragon starter be a bit ridiculous?

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I like the original starter types, but if i had to choose, I'd say Rock-Flying-Grass.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Hmm... I would say: Rock-Fire-Grass
Rock is super effective against Fire. Fire is super effective against Grass. And Grass is super effective against Rock.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]