Pokemon: Animal Abuse?
Animal abuse (strongly feel) 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Um.. We also feed them stuff.. 56%  56%  [ 10 ]
WTF I'll whip my pokemon for all I care 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 18

Pokemon: Animal abuse? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm sorry if anyone has posted this earlier.

Anyway, why the heck do pokemon, once captured, starts loving you? Like, you attack hundreds of pokemon with them, force them into contests, make them surf and fly on your command. If I was a pokemon, I'd be like WTF get the hell away from me. Please post comments of what you think should happen..

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:47 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I say..... LETS START A WAR! POKEMON V.S HUMANS!

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:41 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I am inside your soul. It's actually really comfortable in here.
Nobody ever said they're forced to like you. It's a Pokémon's nature to want to fight other Pokémon. There are lots of Pokémon that ignore the trainer completely, like Ash's Charizard in the animé, or some traded Pokémon in the games. If they don't want to battle hundreds of Pokémon or enter contests with you, they don't have to, it's just that they want to. It isn't abuse if they can choose not to do it.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:14 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: Tin Tower, Navel Rock, maybe I'm flapping right behind you.
Kurusu Lapras wrote:
Nobody ever said they're forced to like you. It's a Pokémon's nature to want to fight other Pokémon. There are lots of Pokémon that ignore the trainer completely, like Ash's Charizard in the animé, or some traded Pokémon in the games. If they don't want to battle hundreds of Pokémon or enter contests with you, they don't have to, it's just that they want to. It isn't abuse if they can choose not to do it.

Amen to that.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:05 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Is this topic for real?

Think about it, if your captured you no longer have to search for food and avoid predators. You get tons of nourishment (Hopefully) and get stronger. Getting captured is better for the pokemon.

Next people will complain about how Mario eats "shrooms" to grow stronger. :twisted:

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:28 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well technically, pokemon wouldn't exist if it were that helpless. Say you were in the "human wild" and a Dialga just came up to you, threw a ball the size of a baseball, squeezed you in, let you out and told you to swim. The freakin thing wieghs 100x more than you. And yes, this topic is real. Relate it to horse riding. You whip and kick at it's ribs so that you can enjoy something you can do by running. Don't tell me predators are going to assault the horse in the wild. How do you think mustangs and brumbies survived.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:32 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

DragonSpear wrote:
And yes, this topic is real. Relate it to horse riding. You whip and kick at it's ribs so that you can enjoy something you can do by running. Don't tell me predators are going to assault the horse in the wild. How do you think mustangs and brumbies survived.

Oh, wow. :lol:

Okay, I agree with the topic in principle. Every critter can be domesticated, including the unique and godly ones? Sure, just about any creature on Earth can be bent to our will given desire and time, but we aren't trying to yoke the Cerynitis, either. However, I don't have too much of a problem with the idea of capturing everyday Pokemon and putting them to work right away. Believe me, much as I'd like a sim-type game to really demonstrate the weeks of bonding and training necessary to domesticate a wild animal, mainstream Pokemon games aren't the place for it.

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:44 am
Just your average 10 year old

If you don't think it's animal abuse, look at how Paul trained Chimchar. I know that is just him, but if more Pokémon could talk than the ones that do, what do you think they wull say?

(For those members with no imagination, I have posted an example below)

Human: Do you like being traped in a ball all of your life, being fought to the death, expeiriencing such pain, being fainted, burned, poisoned, paralyzed, frozen, people riding on your back, and forced to breed with a purple blob?

Pokémon: Why of course I do! I love being tortured. I HATE IT!

Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:33 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

my level 100 Garchomp is my closest friend, even closer than my starter :o

i think mistreatment of pokemon is simply catching them and never even training them. on my games, i don't even give a second thought about completing my pokedex, unless it means i get new pokemon i like. i only catch the pokemon i know i will actually train. other pokemon just take up space that could be used for better pokemon.

want to trade?

0646 1156 7995 FC

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:29 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Animal abuse, defiantly.

We capture them from their wild habitat, store them in tiny, man-made compartments that, for all we know, is a living hell-hole for them, but it's convenience for us to store six of these kidnapped-creatures so that we may let them see the light of day only so that we may a) mold them into fighting machines by forcing rivalry against either they're wild friends or other kidnapped beings b) to do manual labor that we ourselves are not able to preform (ahem, being lazy and getting someone else to do the hard work, ahem) or c) to force feed them human-prepared candies that are the burning, stirring by-product of they're alleged natural food source, dress them up in ridiculous outfits/accessories, and dance and preform they're god-given powers, that, in the wild, would help them fend of natural enemies, for our amusement/money/fame.
Yes, Pokemon can become friends, but there's a name for that type of condition...

Stockholm's syndrome! Where the kidnapped commiserate with they're captors, even befriend them and think that what they're captor is doing to them is for they're own good and that the captor is trying to protect/loves them. A common Syndrome found in concentration camps during the Holocaust.

Am I comparing what goes on in the Pokemon games to the Holocaust? No. But I will point out that that the initial Pokemon games are excruciatingly sugar coated with the "Best Friends, Companions, Love, Yay!" crap, and that the gooey middle that is the Pokemon game is bitter and slimy.
Should you stop playing it? Crap no! Who needs to kidnap people when you can steal-up virtual little bunnies and mice? :D

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:28 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Location: On a...wait, what is this...? Oh, it's just a chair.
This is very odd. Who really believes it actually matters? They're a bunch of fantasy creatures in a video game! This question has the same quality of depth as the question "Why doesn't your trainer go to the bathroom?" In fact, there aren't any bathrooms in the game. When and where do they go? Do they go in the middle of a city when your game is off? If so, then the noobs who never turn off their gameboys have their characters is suffering bladder abuse. This forum has that much quality. Yeah, I said it.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:18 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It's just a FREAKIN' GAME!!! COME ON!!! Okay, all it is is just pressing buttons on the DS, GBA, GC, Wii, etc. to perform actions in a game. There's no harm in thinking that it is okay do do something like this in a fictional, electronic world. However, if you think it is okay to do so outside of the game to other animals, then you definately need help!! Because obviously it would mean that you don't know the difference between fantasy and reality.

This is why Christianity frowned upon Pokemon and probably still do to this day. Not because it is game that you just play for fun with concepts that go against their beliefs. It is because some dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!! Now if you really want to practice this kind of thing outside of the fictional world, well I can't stop you. But for the love of god, DON'T TELL PEOPLE THAT YOUR INSPIRATION CAME FROM POKEMON!! Otherwise people will hate it, blame it, try to shut it down and make it a living hell for the rest of us who play the game knowing it is JUST A GAME!!

God I hate humanity.

-Ryan

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:55 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

ryan_dan wrote:
It's just a FREAKIN' GAME!!! COME ON!!! Okay, all it is is just pressing buttons on the DS, GBA, GC, Wii, etc. to perform actions in a game. There's no harm in thinking that it is okay do do something like this in a fictional, electronic world. However, if you think it is okay to do so outside of the game to other animals, then you definately need help!! Because obviously it would mean that you don't know the difference between fantasy and reality.

This is why Christianity frowned upon Pokemon and probably still do to this day. Not because it is game that you just play for fun with concepts that go against their beliefs. It is because some dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!! Now if you really want to practice this kind of thing outside of the fictional world, well I can't stop you. But for the love of god, DON'T TELL PEOPLE THAT YOUR INSPIRATION CAME FROM POKEMON!! Otherwise people will hate it, blame it, try to shut it down and make it a living hell for the rest of us who play the game knowing it is JUST A GAME!!

God I hate humanity.

-Ryan

I can't believe you're getting fired up about something as stupid as this.

Srsly.

And it's obvious that Pokemon aren't abused. Even if they were, it's just a game. Capturing an electric mouse isn't going to inspire people to kick their dogs.

Also, the game's developers have made it obvious that Pokemon are treated with love and respect. What would be the point of making Luxury Balls? :O

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:31 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i agree with Vulpine. Don't blow a gasket. i am more outraged about the religious arguments, those as well as these are just plain stupid!

want to trade?

0646 1156 7995 FC

Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:48 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I'll disregard the impact this discussion has on our real lives (and consequently religious or any other subjects) and only consider the topic by itself, which means in-game/tv show.

Animal abuse? Seriously?

True, we've seen many trainers mistreating their Pokémon, like Paul and other villains. And that's why they are what they are: villains and antagonists. Someone used Paul's Chimchar as an example; well, how about Paul's Elekid?

Also, as Kurusu Lapras pointed out, Pokémon aren't forced to like their trainers, and whilst some will still let be abused, others, like Ash's Charizard, will simply refuse to obey, will ignore their trainer's orders, or will even come to the point of hurting them. Any Pokémon can easily knock out a human and leave, even the weakest ones.

Another thing is, from what I've noticed from the show and games, Pokémon like to battle as much as trainers do. They like to test their power, and they want to develop their skills and become stronger. And it seems that Pokémon themselves know that the only way to do that is by battling others and training.

We've seen more trainers loving and caring for their Pokémon than trainers treating them roughly. And those who are bad towards their Pokémon are frowned upon by others and either end up alone or in the jail.

So, no, I don't think it's animal abuse at all. And anyone who thinks so and plays Pokémon nonetheless can be considered a hypocrite, no?

Also, I'm loling at some of your points. Not that they are bad, it's just that they are... funny to read.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]