It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Define a 'Legendary' Pokemon 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

As far as I'm aware, there is no official definition for a legendary. I was wondering what the rest of Psypoke thought made the line between legendary and not-legendary. This would help decide what is and isn't legendary, such as is Manaphy/Phione a legendary?

Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:45 am
THE POWER IS ON!

I consider the following Pokemon "Legendary" (note the capital L):
-Generation I: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew
-Generation II: Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi
-Generation III: Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Jirachi
-Generation IV: Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Cresselia, Regigigas, Heatran, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus

In general, here are a few of my qualifications for considering a Pokemon "Legendary"... all of the Pokemon above are at least two of these things:
-The Pokemon is a member of a Legendary trio (birds, dogs, golems, pixies, Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza, Dialga/Palkia/Giratina)
-The Pokemon is a leader of a Legendary trio (Lugia, Ho-oh, Regigigas, Arceus)
-The Pokemon is cutesy and has an overall base stat total of 600, with base 100 in every stat (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Shaymin)
-The Pokemon is a God of, or able to manipulate, elements and/or dimensions (Celebi, weather trio, Dragon trio, Manaphy, Arceus, Darkrai, Cresselia)
-The Pokemon has overall base stats that are at least 600 total (catches almost everything else: Mewtwo, Lati@s, Heatran)
-The Pokemon does not evolve from nor into another Pokemon (every Pokemon on this list fits into this category)
-The Pokemon is a Legendary because it's related to a Legendary... and because Nintendo said so (Phione)

Other than Phione, all of the Pokemon who meet my qualifications for being considered "Legendary" are considered either incredibly (sometimes disgustingly) powerful, such as Mewtwo, or are gifted with unique abilities, such as Shaymin's ability to make flowers grow anywhere, in the game's lore. For another example, Manaphy is the "Prince of the Sea," able to control water, and has the exclusive ability to "swap hearts" between people. (And, yeah, while Darkrai and Cresselia don't really manipulate elements or dimensions, being able to control dreams and nightmares is pretty close.)

I do not consider the Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross or Garchomp families "Legendary." At most, they're the mid-point between Legendary and non-Legendary Pokemon. Perhaps the same could be said for extinct Pokemon and Pokemon who have particularly high stat totals such as Arcanine (who happens to be considered a "legendary" Pokemon, but I don't think the games means that it IS a Legendary Pokemon). And Wobbuffet and Wynaut aren't Legendary because they're only banned in real-life battles because Nintendo gave them a broken-ass ability.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:19 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well I consider legendary pokemon the ones you can only get one of in each game, unless you trade of course.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:19 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Location: I HAVE A MOTHER FUCKING LIFE!!!!!!!!!! STOP FUCKING PMING ME!!!!!
pokemon ranger wrote:
Well I consider legendary pokemon the ones you can only get one of in each game, unless you trade of course.
Does that mean that articuno, moltres, and zapdos aren't "Legendary" any more now that they are in platnum?

Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:43 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I think you mean the regi's.

And he said one of in each game, Platinum is one, R/S/E is another.

But I guess he meant excluding the starters.

Really, Frost summed up my thoughts.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:33 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

SH07, the three bird pokemon are also going to be available in Platinum, as 'Roaming' pokemon, joining Mespirit and Cresselia.

Quote:

Like alot of the solutions I came up with, this works with all the legendaries with only one exception which is Phione.

Quote:
But I guess he meant excluding the starters.

You can breed them, meaning you can get more than one of these per game.

Another rule that has just Phione as an exception (I think), is that you cannot get them through breeding with Ditto.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:25 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I am inside your soul. It's actually really comfortable in here.
My definition of a Legendary Pokemon is any Pokemon that can control either nature, reality itself, or both.
Shaymin can control plant life, Manaphy controls water, Entei can create volcanoes, etc.
Dialga and Palkia can control Time and Space, Giratina controls the alternate dimensions, etc.
Celebi travels through time and can control plants, and Arceus and Mew can supposedly do anything.
I think that would work for just about all of them.
I don't think that Mewtwo and Deoxys should be included in any definition because they weren't made by Arceus or Mew, but were made by humans in some way.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:07 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Deoxys wasn't created by humans. Hell, Deoxys doesn't even originate from the same planet that has the Pokemon world. It's a space virus.

The only manmade Pokemon so far are Mewtwo, the three Porygon and Castform.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:27 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Weren't Porygon/Porygon2 manmade?

Quote:
Another rule that has just Phione as an exception (I think), is that you cannot get them through breeding with Ditto.

That's how I got mine. :]

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:59 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Jeneus wrote:
Weren't Porygon/Porygon2 manmade?

Frost wrote:
The only manmade Pokemon so far are Mewtwo, the three Porygon and Castform.

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:33 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Fang wrote:
pokemon ranger wrote:
Does that mean that articuno, moltres, and zapdos aren't "Legendary" any more now that they are in platnum?

No I meant in EACH game. So, they are still legendary.

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:25 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think that there is an extremely easy way to put this. Any Pokémon that is "Legendary" and considers itself the "warrior of ice" or "the Being of Emotion" or anything like that, and is also a boss in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, is Legendary; Skarmory, Drowzee, Luxray and Spiritomb don't call themselves special, so they don't count.

Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Lucario, Metagross, maybe Kingdra, maybe Flygon, maybe Lapras and most definitely not Arcanine should be considered as "demi-Legendaries". That is to say, they are extremely rare, extremely majestic, and, in the case of the first six, almost impossible to beat under normal circumstances.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:34 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Frost wrote:
I consider the following Pokemon "Legendary" (note the capital L):
-Generation I: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew
-Generation II: Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi
-Generation III: Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Jirachi
-Generation IV: Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Cresselia, Regigigas, Heatran, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus

In general, here are a few of my qualifications for considering a Pokemon "Legendary"... all of the Pokemon above are at least two of these things:
-The Pokemon is a member of a Legendary trio (birds, dogs, golems, pixies, Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza, Dialga/Palkia/Giratina)
-The Pokemon is a leader of a Legendary trio (Lugia, Ho-oh, Regigigas, Arceus)
-The Pokemon is cutesy and has an overall base stat total of 600, with base 100 in every stat (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Shaymin)
-The Pokemon is a God of, or able to manipulate, elements and/or dimensions (Celebi, weather trio, Dragon trio, Manaphy, Arceus, Darkrai, Cresselia)
-The Pokemon has overall base stats that are at least 600 total (catches almost everything else: Mewtwo, Lati@s, Heatran)
-The Pokemon does not evolve from nor into another Pokemon (every Pokemon on this list fits into this category)
-The Pokemon is a Legendary because it's related to a Legendary... and because Nintendo said so (Phione)

Other than Phione, all of the Pokemon who meet my qualifications for being considered "Legendary" are considered either incredibly (sometimes disgustingly) powerful, such as Mewtwo, or are gifted with unique abilities, such as Shaymin's ability to make flowers grow anywhere, in the game's lore. For another example, Manaphy is the "Prince of the Sea," able to control water, and has the exclusive ability to "swap hearts" between people. (And, yeah, while Darkrai and Cresselia don't really manipulate elements or dimensions, being able to control dreams and nightmares is pretty close.)

I do not consider the Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross or Garchomp families "Legendary." At most, they're the mid-point between Legendary and non-Legendary Pokemon. Perhaps the same could be said for extinct Pokemon and Pokemon who have particularly high stat totals such as Arcanine (who happens to be considered a "legendary" Pokemon, but I don't think the games means that it IS a Legendary Pokemon). And Wobbuffet and Wynaut aren't Legendary because they're only banned in real-life battles because Nintendo gave them a broken-ass ability.

I couldn't agree more. Which leaves me with nothing else to say. :P

I guess Frost's are the best definitions of a Legendary. I also agree on his Pokémon examples.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:30 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Pokemon with 600 BST and usually Excelent / Fantastic BSR, and three stage evolution-line are pseudo-legendaries. This includes Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross and Garchomp.

If you have any problems with breeding, Egg moves, IV:s or EV:s, you can ask me. Feel free to ask other things related to competive battling.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:31 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Frost wrote:

I do not consider the Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross or Garchomp families "Legendary." At most, they're the mid-point between Legendary and non-Legendary Pokemon. Perhaps the same could be said for extinct Pokemon and Pokemon who have particularly high stat totals such as Arcanine (who happens to be considered a "legendary" Pokemon, but I don't think the games means that it IS a Legendary Pokemon).

Arcanine is only a ledgendary in china, that I know of. Why? I don't know.

{pidgeot} {swellow} {staraptor}-Superbird

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:27 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

superbird wrote:

{pidgeot} {swellow} {staraptor}-Superbird

Actually it says on bulbapedia that its beauty is legendary in china. And by legendary they don't mean that it is an actual legendary pokemon because it is called THE legendary pokemon it dosen't say anywhere that it is A legendary pokemon.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:26 am
THE POWER IS ON!

superbird wrote:

Arcanine's species in the Pokedex is the "Legendary" Pokemon, like how Pikachu is the "Mouse" Pokemon or Mew is the "New Species" Pokemon.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:39 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

a ;egendary pokemon is one that has some special tie to the game not starters :mrgreen:

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:46 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Legendary pokemon require a special battle (such as finding Zapdos or Rayquaza and entering a battle to get it) or a Nintendo event to obtain.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]