It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 GameFreak is so clueless. 
THE POWER IS ON!

So if you guys are keeping up on Pokemon Platinum news, it was recently revealed that Shaymin's new Sky Forme will have Serene Grace, rather than normal Shaymin's Natural Cure, as well as Air Slash. However, it also looks incredibly likely that Shaymin will able to change forms in the same way Deoxys does in DP... in such a way that means both forms of Shaymin will have access to the same moves, the same way that all four forms of Deoxys share the same learnset in Generation IV. To me, this just serves as another reminder that Gamefreak really isn't trying to balance the Pokemon series and, rather, just seems to be throwing out random ideas as they think of them.

For those of you out there who haven't caught onto the problem I have with this situation, here's the TechDex's description for (Land) Shaymin's signature move, Seed Flare: "Has a 40% chance to lower the target's Special Defense by 2 levels." A two-level statistic drop means that the stat in question is effectively halved; and, because Seed Flare will probably be accessible, this means that Sky Shaymin will have an 80% chance to halve its opponent's Special Defense with a 120 BP STAB move. It also gets a 60% chance for flinchax on a STAB Serene Grace, and will most likely have at least base 100 speed, so basically what this means is that Sky Shaymin is flinchax Togekiss on steroids.

And, unfortunately, Gamefreak making incredibly stupid decisions to cause imbalance is nothing new. After all, this is the same company that made Steel-type Pokemon resistant to 70% of the elemental types in the game just because; it's also the same company that nerfed Poison by giving it a Super Effective match-up against only one type out of seventeen, as well as the company that effectively nerfed Grass-type Pokemon by giving every single Water-type Pokemon in the game, barring Magikarp, access to Ice Beam and Blizzard. They also gave Wobbuffet and Wynaut an ability that completely shatters a key aspect of the game and thought Arceus in general was a good idea for a Pokemon.

In my opinion, the Pokemon series is equal parts RPG and strategy and Gamefreak has proven time and time again that they're just not fit to handle the strategy aspect of this series. What do you think?

Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:54 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Two levels? lolstop says Seed Flare only lowers Sp. Defense by one level.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:53 am
THE POWER IS ON!

News flash: lolstop is not infallible.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:18 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

*shrug* I've just never read that it lowers Sp. Defense by two is all. And I don't exactly have a Shaymin to test that with...

Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:22 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I see what you mean, Frost. I guess this means Shaymin will become uber because of that.

So I take it that this knocks it down a bit in your competition to find your favourite Pokemon out of all of them? ;P

Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:11 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, like PokeRealm is making Pokemon Topaz, perhaps pokemon fans can look to self-made games for better balancing. With the ShoddyBattle engine already made, making a new set of pokemon for balanced competitive play is a possibility.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:37 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

I've always regarded Pokemon as being less deep in strategy compared to other RPGs. I guess GameFreak were never particularly concerned about this aspect of the game, because for every hardcore RPG fan who buys the game, a kid who probably doesn't care about the strategy would buy the game too, and they make money regardless. Sure, EVs, DVs and other elements of strategy remain, but things like the typing and stats of different Pokemon are skewed. Strategy fans just aren't their main target audience.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:22 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Considering the fact that most legends are significantly stronger than other Pokemon, I don't see what's wrong with making a stonger "Flinchkiss". It's just another Uber Pokemon. Pokemon is generally a game targeted at younger people cos it sells best there. Would you make the game that complicated if your're selling the game mostly to children? They have been quite vigilant in creating Counters for strategies for making the game more challenging, but that's about it. Gamefreak doesn't have Competitive Battling in mind when they create Pokemon, appeal is what matters more to them.

The problem isn't about them not capable of handling the strategy, it's about them not really caring much about strategy. More energy is focused on the story rather than on the Tactics and Strategies aspects. You can't blame them for this, their target was never to make the game fun through competitive battling etc. :)

Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:49 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

sN0wBaLL wrote:
I've always regarded Pokemon as being less deep in strategy compared to other RPGs.

Indeed, I've never considered Pokemon being as intense in regards to strategy when put side-by-side to countless other RPGs. However, I suppose that is its charm, bearing the simple rock-paper-scissors style of matchups. But of course, like Frost said, GameFreak doesn't appear to have any intention of ever balancing this large game of rochambeau.

My poor, poor Poison types... ;[

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:30 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Um, guys, Pokemon is a much deeper strategy game than most other RPGs out there, and it's definitely way more strategic than most of you are giving it credit for. There are so many characters, moves, tactics, abilities and other factors in this series that it just has to be. Final Fantasy? It definitely is more strategic than any of those games. Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG? Of course. Breath of Fire? Certainly. In fact, most RPGs are more about subjecting yourself to epic grindfests to learn the most broken spell/spell combinations possible than they are about strategy. For example, in FFX-2, to fully beat the game, you basically have to abuse the Gunner Dressphere with the Catnip item. There's nothing very strategic about using the same methods that everybody else does.

Simply looking at how the games have evolved since RBY should be evidence that Gamefreak cares about strategy. We have two additional types and more Bug/Ghost moves to balance how broken Psychic was in the Kanto games. We have Special Attack and Special Defense. We have abilities. We have EVs, which open way more possibilities for strategy than Stat Exp. did, and we have natures. We have combinations like Substitute/Focus Punch, Defense Curl/Rollout, Lock-On/OHKO moves and moves like Lunar Dance, Gastro Acid, Baton Pass, Psycho Shift and others. We have way more type combinations than we did three generations ago and Pokemon with way more varied stat distributions and roles in battle.

Saying that Gamefreak cares more about the story than tactics and strategy is... well, it's just laughable, sorry. Other than some incredibly over the top deus ex machina "ten year old kid defeats evil Team capable of suppressing legendary who controls space/time/the universe/the galaxy," the story has always simply been "get starter Pokemon; collect eight badges and more Pokemon; beat the Elite Four." I've seen way more complaints about how the basic storyline of the Pokemon games never changes than I have about Pokemon not being strategic. But, even though Gamefreak is TRYING to make this game strategic, sometimes they have their bouts of insanity, as outlined in my original post.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:25 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Personally I think this is a step-up.
Shaymin was BL, for an event-only legendary that's disgustingly low.
Imagine travelling 200 miles for a Marowak.
You get out your super-awesome-event-item to find a crappy load of pixels.
Shaymin owners should be overjoyed at the prospect of reducing a Cresselia's SpDef to nothing in two moves from a former BL.

Last edited by Prof. Dom on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: I'm stuck somewhere... Not quite sure where that is though.
Pokemon could be way better if GameFreak balanced it out and focused it for more strategic play. They could make it extremely complex and little kids would still buy it. They wouldn't notice it.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:09 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I guess the new Shaymin is fair enough...
I hated the way Land Form sucked...
Another 100 Base Cute legendary without second stab
(the other was Mew,but it has the movepool to cover it up...) ...
Yeah {shaymin} was needing some boost...
What's the problem with a "simple" FlinchHaxer with a 120 Base STABed
attack that can cut half of you sp.defense?
Not like you don't see other broken things like that in Ubers Metagame... :?
Where he might be...
You can really start complaining if they give it Spore... ^_^

About the strategy...
I think they a care a lot about it...
But didn't actually TESTED all the possibilties...
That's why they added some changes within new generations...
I can't really blame they...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:01 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Frost wrote:
Um, guys, Pokemon is a much deeper strategy game than most other RPGs out there, and it's definitely way more strategic than most of you are giving it credit for. There are so many characters, moves, tactics, abilities and other factors in this series that it just has to be. Final Fantasy? It definitely is more strategic than any of those games. Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG? Of course. Breath of Fire? Certainly. In fact, most RPGs are more about subjecting yourself to epic grindfests to learn the most broken spell/spell combinations possible than they are about strategy. For example, in FFX-2, to fully beat the game, you basically have to abuse the Gunner Dressphere with the Catnip item. There's nothing very strategic about using the same methods that everybody else does.

Simply looking at how the games have evolved since RBY should be evidence that Gamefreak cares about strategy. We have two additional types and more Bug/Ghost moves to balance how broken Psychic was in the Kanto games. We have Special Attack and Special Defense. We have abilities. We have EVs, which open way more possibilities for strategy than Stat Exp. did, and we have natures. We have combinations like Substitute/Focus Punch, Defense Curl/Rollout, Lock-On/OHKO moves and moves like Lunar Dance, Gastro Acid, Baton Pass, Psycho Shift and others. We have way more type combinations than we did three generations ago and Pokemon with way more varied stat distributions and roles in battle.

Saying that Gamefreak cares more about the story than tactics and strategy is... well, it's just laughable, sorry. Other than some incredibly over the top deus ex machina "ten year old kid defeats evil Team capable of suppressing legendary who controls space/time/the universe/the galaxy," the story has always simply been "get starter Pokemon; collect eight badges and more Pokemon; beat the Elite Four." I've seen way more complaints about how the basic storyline of the Pokemon games never changes than I have about Pokemon not being strategic. But, even though Gamefreak is TRYING to make this game strategic, sometimes they have their bouts of insanity, as outlined in my original post.

I'm sorry, but when you alluded to FFX-2, I disregarded your post :|
I think that they changed around the types to make it harder for us. Obviously for that to have happened, someone in GF cared. I think that they're more concerned with everything else besides strategy and story, tbph.

Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]