It doesn't matter 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Cloning - yes or no? 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have a question to everyone:
What's your opinion on cloning?
Good or Bad?
Should clones be considered hacked or legit?
Would you trade with someone who clones?

I'm asking this because I clone and in my trading posts I say I do clone but on Marriland forums someone posted in my shiny trading thread that I'm lying when I say my legit cloned Pokemon are in fact legit, they said cloned Pokemon are hacked automatically ¯(º_o)/¯.

Do you agree or disagree?

Added new poll option! wewt.

Last edited by Patchy on Fri May 02, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:52 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I consider that they are hacked

Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:41 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Cloning is really useful and as Cloned Pokemon are exact replicas of their originals they are legit...no matter how u say or put it...an exact replica of a legit Pokemon means it's still a legit Pokemon. :wink:

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:43 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Sapphirath wrote:
an exact replica of a legit Pokemon means it's still a legit Pokemon.

A "legit" pokemon obtained via dubious means will have the stats of a legit pokemon, yes. That doesn't mean that the end justifies the means though.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:42 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I agree with you on that, Kurushel, but it's not as if you ARed the clone or used AR to clone it. Some people consider glitches wrong but others think there is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by Patchy on Mon May 05, 2008 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:47 am
i clone myself/trade with people who clone
and i think that they for the most part are legit

Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:37 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

If you're cloning via AR, then I would consider it illegit/bad; after all, you are using a cheating device, right?

When it comes to in-game cloning, like via Battle Frontier (I think...) in Emerald or the GTS Cloning in Diamond/Pearl, it's a glitch: Abuse it! There's no way that Nintendo can detect such ways of cheating mainly because you didn't get any help via a cheating device.

Stupid Firefox: illegit is spelled correctly.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I think cloning is fine. Glitch or AR, in the end, it's still the same Pokemon; an exact replica of the original, if I'm not mistaken.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:02 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Cloning is alright by my standards. I used it in Emerald to clone Master Balls so that I dont have to take forever catching the legendaries.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:52 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Cloning's fine by me. After all, you're really not getting anything different, better, or worse. It's like you have just filler space.
There's not much to be gained except more items.
Just so long as you don't mess it up, like I did. I lost my shiny Golbat in Emerald permanently...after I migrated 6 clones. Oh well, it's not all bad.

- DNA

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:20 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Only a complete moron would consider cloning with an action replay OMGZ HAX, and cloning via an exploit "legit". We have many stupid people here though, so that comes as no surprise. If you think duplicating a Pokemon is cheating, you are free to do so, but for christ sake pick a side.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, if anyone who considers cloning with the glitch OK, then why is AR cloning bad? Because one exploits a glitch and one "creates" a glitch you can exploit?

The way I'm familiar with it, AR cloning is done by holding a pkmn with the hand in the PC, moving boxes, and refreshing the old box. Thus, you have the pkmn in your hand and in your box.

Why is that worse than using the GTS glitch?

I don't think it is, I think they are the same thing. You may argue, "Oh, doing that is using a cheating device." But in reality, isn't that what you do when you GTS clone? You are using a cheat device Nintendo accidentally placed in Pokemon. So one is external, and one is in bad encoding judgment by Nintendo.

I think they're both OK.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:42 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

The whole point behind Pokémon is raising your own team, or raising Pokémon that can be fairly traded for others. If you clone a Pokémon, the person receiving the clone did not raise the Pokémon he or she has, nor did he or she have to do anything to get it.

I say no to cloning.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:59 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

If you clone a legit pokemon, I don't see how anyone could consider it hacked...it's exactly like the original legit one...

ShinyHunter07 wrote:
I'm asking this because I clone and in my trading posts I say I do clone but on Marriland forums someone posted in my shiny trading thread that I'm lying when I say my legit cloned Pokemon are in fact legit,they said cloned Pokemon are hacked automatically ¯(º_o)/¯.

More competitive forums may dislike cloners because it makes it easier for you to train pokemon - get a trained clone from someone else, get a cloned good IV Ditto, etc.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:41 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Cloning is fine by me, but I think there are some serious nutjobs on both the Pro-cloning and Anti-cloning sides. But such things tend to be so.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Mr.Chaos wrote:
I consider that they are hacked

I Agree I Mean If You Clone You Are Kinda Cheating Cause It Clones The Items Also That The Pokemon Is Holding When Its Better To Look For It Yourself It Builds More Stategy Skills.. :)

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

After thinking about it a little while, I've decided that I think cloning your own pokemon is okay, but trading them is not. My issue is with people not having to work to get the same thing that you did.

I would like to see Nintendo on their next version of pokemon modify the pokemon's name from say "Bulbasaur" to "Bulbasaur CLONED" or "Bulbasaur HACKED" and have it be unable to be changed.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:11 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Sion9 wrote:
If you clone a legit pokemon, I don't see how anyone could consider it hacked...it's exactly like the original legit one...
The code is exactly the same, but that's not what makes it legit or hacked. You could raise a Charizard from the Charmander you chose at the beginning of Red/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen all the way to level 100, EV trained and everything, and it would be legit. Then you could hack a Charizard with the exact same stats and it would not be legit, even though it's identical. The game does not keep track of legitimate vs. hacked. Legitimate is defined as being obtained through means Nintendo intended.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:46 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

In the end, all this bit about cloners not having to do work is a little beside the point. Why should you care how much work went into the critter? If you're battling, all that should matter is that the critter is actually plausible - no unobtainable movesets or whatnot - and if you're trading, all that should matter is that the critter you receive isn't going to trash your save with glitched data.

When I beat the E4 in Emerald, I immediately tried the cloning glitch. I ported a master ball to Pearl and used it to avoid work on Heatran, who had already struggle-cided the last time I went after it. To this day, I feel cheap about it, especially compared to the supreme effort I put into chasing down the dogs in FRLG or my titanic Cresselia issues. And a box full of Rayquaza doesn't look as sweet as a box with three sets of FRLG legendaries who were all caught through effort. In that light, you can assert that cloning takes some of the fun and value out of the game for the cloner. But that doesn't affect the quality of the game for the non-cloner.

Perhaps there's a nebulous argument about the GTS "economy" being unbalanced by cloned and haxxed legendaries and shinies, but it would be a difficult position to defend.

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:53 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I agree. Why not use something that will reduce effort for you Drastically? It's like walking 10km to a place when you could've taken the bus all because you wanna be fair to those who have to walk the same distance because they can't take the bus. That's simply foolishness. The world is unfair, so don't complain about people who clone to get more Rare Candies cos you're just being stupid for not doing it as well. You won't catch up with others at all if you don't do what they do.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:17 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

People who are against cloning wouldn't have the same opinion if they were actually into competitive play or breeding.

Let's say you just managed to breed that perfect Gible you were trying to breed for so many days. You EV trained it and then raised it to level 100. After a while though, you realise that since your Garchomp is holding a Scarf, it does not necessarily need 252 EVs in Speed and that you should invest some in HP as well. What will you do? Breed another? Waste your time for breeding a pokemon you have already bred? Also, the amount of time you would spent for breeding that pokemon, could be used for breeding another.

You can save tons of time by just cloning your pokemon while it's untouched. It's plain silly to waste your time for unnecessary things.

EDIT:
Personally i don't care how i catch my pokemon. I captured ALL the legends in my Diamond using Master Balls. I don't care if i put no effort in catching them. I just want them to have a good nature and decent IVs so i can train them and make them as good as possible.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:46 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I clone,i trade with people that clone
and i don't see any reason to call a clone using a in-game glitch hacked...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:29 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Although I think manipulation of glitches (or "glitch abuse") is technically cheating, I couldn't care less. After all, it's just a game.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:12 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

The way I want to see it, if you want to clone, that's fine, if you don't want to clone, that's also fine. Sure, it saves some effort, and etc. I think it's up to you.

Personally, I clone for friends. I have no real need to clone for meself unless I want to fill up on Master Balls (Which I've considered doing, to see the reactions of the local n00bs.)

If you're going to hack a clone, more power to you, so long as it's possible to find without hacking.

It's just a game. Cloning won't cause an apocalypse.

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:34 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Sword of Destiny wrote:
People who are against cloning wouldn't have the same opinion if they were actually into competitive play or breeding.

Let's say you just managed to breed that perfect Gible you were trying to breed for so many days. You EV trained it and then raised it to level 100. After a while though, you realise that since your Garchomp is holding a Scarf, it does not necessarily need 252 EVs in Speed and that you should invest some in HP as well. What will you do? Breed another? Waste your time for breeding a pokemon you have already bred? Also, the amount of time you would spent for breeding that pokemon, could be used for breeding another.

You can save tons of time by just cloning your pokemon while it's untouched. It's plain silly to waste your time for unnecessary things.

EDIT:
Personally i don't care how i catch my pokemon. I captured ALL the legends in my Diamond using Master Balls. I don't care if i put no effort in catching them. I just want them to have a good nature and decent IVs so i can train them and make them as good as possible.
I don't know, people who breed for a living (as in real animals) can't just clone their dogs/horses/whatever, and they get by. You're supposed to think ahead when you're breeding and raising, and if you want something else, then you breed something else. It makes it more of an accomplishment, anyway. If you aren't into the act of raising Pokémon, you might as well play something like NetBattle. There's a better communication interface, anyway.

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next