It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 What is the best combo of pokemon types for your team? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

My guess would be a fire, water, grass, and electric type. But I dunno what after that.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well the types don't necessarily have anything to do with a balanced team, but they do play a major role. Some main key things for a balanced team is:

Physical Sweeper
Mixed Sweeper
Special Sweeper
Tank
Drainer
Sponge

The list goes on but these are just some of them. Check out the sites trainer guide here: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/roles.php and the Trainer guide:http://www.psypokes.com/dex/trainersguide.php

Pokemon Pearl FC:2749 9225 9473

Up for a battle anytime! Just PM me.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:53 pm
Illiterate
Illiterate

Pokemaniac is right, but you also need to watch out for weakness and resistances in order build a balanced team; for example you cant just put 6 dragon pokemon (despite how strong they are) because anything with ice beam would beat your team.

Altough thats not 100% true, I could have almost a team of good water types without sharing common weakness: Kingdra, Ludicolo, Gyarados, Swampert and milotic/vaporeon and a suicune with cal mind wich becomes inpenetrable after a few of them.

In nomine....Diabulus et...Belial, Satan, Astharoth, Lucifer et Yahve.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:43 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I could have almost a team of good water types without sharing common weakness: Kingdra, Ludicolo, Gyarados, Swampert and milotic/vaporeon and a suicune with cal mind wich becomes inpenetrable after a few of them.

not that everyone doesnt know this already, but you could also include a kyogre for the drizzle, if you dont mind (and are allowed) to include legendaries. especially good with kingdra and ludicolo.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:10 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

personally I'd preffer a Dark/Ghost combo...you'd be pretty much invincible. That way you can cover for everyone of eachothers weakness. Kind of like a group version of Sableye =D

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000277476380 Let's be friends?

Tue May 15, 2007 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I like using Dark Ghost Poison Dragon Fire Rock and Ground. Ill give you one guess why.

Poor team midnight and inferno, they fought hard till the end.

But seriously, I made a team to commemorate them. Its actually kind of cool.

Umbreon-Baton passer
Tentacruel-Sweeper(mixed
Rhyperior-Tank/physical sweeper
Houndoom-Special sweeper
Salamence-Physical sweeper
Mismagious-Annoyer/sweeper mixed

Of course, normally I just go to a list of good movesets that TIGER10X made in the games guide for D/P and go to CTR F to find ***** (the highest rating he gave) and just go down the list. Thats how I make most of my ultimate teams. That lose. Sometimes.

If you need rescuing, PM me, I do it for free!

Tue May 15, 2007 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I don't mind my type combonations that much. I prefer having a mixture of roles, whilst keeping my Pokemon's type combonations as balanced and diverse as possible (although type-wise I prefer Ghost/Poison with the levitate ability, as I've been beginning to become quite fond of Gengar recently :O).

Wed May 16, 2007 4:35 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

My teams aren't balanced at all. I just use sweepers of different types. A few phys, a few spec. Some different types. With diversity I can exploit weaknesses and kill the enemy before it gets to me.

Wed May 16, 2007 7:02 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

My empoleon and torterra are good tanks, (more torterra than empoleon, he's a bit lacking on sp attack) while everyone else focuses more on damage than defense. once i get my infernape, i'll have a nice team, but i still need to get good natures for garchomp, and either a better nature for luxray, or just replace him altogether. maybe walrein or lapras.

Thu May 17, 2007 7:19 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I don't balance my teams on type, I balance them on roles~

It's a really outdated thing to think that having a fire, water, electirc, grass, flying and psychic pokemon will do you good.

I prefer to have a team of all one type (different dual types, though)
just to prove that a charizard can't wipe through a whole team of grass pokemon, for example.

Fri May 18, 2007 3:14 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I try to cover most bases type and role-wise. With types, there being 16, I avoid the most obvious types, such as fire, water, rock, etc. Fewer people know what effects ghost and whatnot, for example. Here's what I'm planning:

Metagross: Steel/Psychic: Physical Powerhouse (Or, if baton passed, sweeper)
Dusknoir: Ghost: Toxi-tank.
Gengar: Ghost/Poison: Special Sweeper.
Aerodactyl: Rock/Flying: Physical Sweeper
Dragonite: Dragon/Flying: Physical Powerhouse (Or, if baton passed, sweeper)
Ninjask: Bug/Flying: Baton Passer (Ability increases speed, he has double team and sword dance. I'd say he's awesome for the job.)

I hate only one basic-type pokemon: Aerodactyl, being half rock. The rest are rarer types, not vulnerable to the primary types, though for the most part not particularly effective either.

Ambience, a good Magmortar WILL go through about half your team, I expect. Or, my Gengar with Sludge Bomb :P.

Not first post, but it's somewhere there.

Fri May 18, 2007 3:18 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Same. I rate my team on the 0-17 type scale. This scale is used to let me know what types my PKMN are and also to remind me of what kind of attacks I have with them. For an example, I will rate my Leaf Green team:

Gengar(M): Ghost/ Poison
Shadow ball(Ghost)
Confuse Ray(Ghost)
Psychic(Psychic)
Night Shade(Ghost)

Venusaur(M): Grass/Poison
Frenzy Plant(Grass)
Leech Seed(Grass)
Sludge Bomb(Poison)
Earthquake(Ground)

Houndoom(F): Dark/Fire
Flamethower(Fire)
Double Team(Normal)
Crunch(Dark)
Overheat(Fire)

Jirachi: Psychic/Steel
Wish(Normal)
Psychic(Psychic)
Toxic(Poison)
Thunderbolt(Electric)

Salamence(M): Dragon/Flying
Hyper Beam(Normal)
Dragon Claw(Dragon)
Dragon Breath(Dragon)
Fly(Flying)

Lapras(F): Water/Ice
Surf(Water)
Body Slam(Normal)
Confuse Ray(Ghost)
Ice Beam(Ice)

Now with this team I have 11 of 17 types of PKMN. For attacks I have 13 of 17 types of attacks. Making this team a 11/13 of 17 or just a plain old 11/13. If you don't understand that's cool, but this is what I have used since Pocket Monsters Aka and Midori. It doesn't work for everyone I guess but this lets me know if my team can battle well or not.

(Note: The items I use may also be different from what you use so I didn't bother to put that in the listings. As well I didn't bother to put any other stats or abilities since that is up to how you raise you team, and what gender you get. However, I put the gender of my team up here so you can go look up their abilities if you want to. All PKMN I have shown here are lvl 100. And yes, for you older players that Lapras is like Lorlei from The Indigo League, but I like surf more than Hydro pump.)

Fri May 18, 2007 7:16 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

its probably not the best way to rate a team - just on the number of different types of pokes and moves. for example, if you replaced all those pokes by their earliest (pre)evolutions - gengar by ghastly, venusaur by bulbasaur etc - and all their moves by the weakest versions - flamethrower by ember, psychic by confusion etc - then your team would score exactly the same.

Sat May 19, 2007 3:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

its probably not the best way to rate a team - just on the number of different types of pokes and moves. for example, if you replaced all those pokes by their earliest (pre)evolutions - gengar by ghastly, venusaur by bulbasaur etc - and all their moves by the weakest versions - flamethrower by ember, psychic by confusion etc - then your team would score exactly the same.

Sat May 19, 2007 4:00 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think the best combo would be Claydol and Zapdos

Sun May 20, 2007 4:36 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

My team is mostly Fire, along with a Flyer. I'll soon get a Fire/Flying type though (Moltres). My team now:
Blaziken: Fire/Fighting-Lv. 100
Ability: Blaze
Moves: Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Blaze Kick, Sky Uppercut
Magmar: Fire-Lv. 40
Ability: Flame Body
Moves: Follow Me, Thunderpunch, Cross Chop, Strength
Magcargo: Fire/Rock-Lv.40
Ability: ???
Moves: Ember, Rock Slide, Flamethrower, Fire Blast
Skarmory:Steel/Flying-Lv.16
Ability: ???
Moves: Fly, Steel Wing, Wing Attack, Metal Claw
I would say the rest, but I can't remember right now :(

Sun May 20, 2007 8:12 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

just a quick question, would Magnezone be a good substitute for my luxray? i would probably have Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon, and the magnet float thing (to fix his huge weakness to ground)

i still havent decided a fourth move, there wasnt much else to teach him, but i still think it's a solid choice with the huge defense and sp atk. plus, i dont have that much in the way of taking out water pokemon except my torterra. I was also thinking of using lapras, but i figured that i could have found a more reliable attacker for flying (plus walrein just sucks after my look at him).

Another thing about magnezone is that besides ground, there wasnt much else that could terribly stop him (maybe fire since it's more common, but that'd be an easy switch to empoleon) and you wouldnt want him up against ground anyway, and he's also another good phys. wall besides torterra who frankly can have a lot of trouble with a lot of types.

Sun May 20, 2007 3:24 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Despite being a grass type, Torterra's not a good pokemon to go up against water types, most of which are usually packing ice beam or some other ice attack which is 4X effective against Torterras grass/ground combo, Also since he's part ground, their water attacks will not have their damage reduced by the grass resistance.

Mon May 21, 2007 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]