It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 What's your learning/concentrating method? 

What's better for you to concentrate?
Noise! Rawk! Scream scream SCREAAAAM! 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Peace and quiet...Ssssh. 59%  59%  [ 10 ]
Anything, I'm not fussed at all. 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 17

What's your learning/concentrating method? 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Posting
I read out what I'm typing. Usually, there's a lot of noise around, this way it helps me to concentrate. I occasionally look at the screen to check if I have mistyped but usually, it's fine.

Spriting
I have music on and hum along to the tune. Usually, the same song over and over. It's pretty easy to concentrate and I press Ctrl+S regularly, we have power cuts at inconvenient times.

Writing
Again, music on. I read out what I'm typing again. I check through what I've wrote after every two paragraphs or so. Only when I'm writing do I hate distractions.

Homework
Usually silence if I'm revising or need to think hard. If it's Art or Languages, it's noise or music that helps.

Drawing
Always noise and something to copy. If it's from memory or scratch, I prefer silence. Very strange, since my spriting needs sounds.

Video Games
Requires my full attention. Stare at the screen with full concentration and a serious face unless it's an easy game and I can multitask. I don't press buttons, I smash them, usful on Super Smash Bros.: Melee.

School Classes
Usually, I don't care what's going on around me in classes. I find it easy as falling off a log to work in any environment. I find it especially easy when I know everyone is running riot, I'm almost finished and know I'll get some free time off.

<center>What are your methods of learning or concentration?</center>

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:04 pm
The Geek
The Geek

I prefer to have music playing when I'm studying. I've always got a song in my head anyway, so having an MP3 player on random just makes sense.

I'm completely unable to study or cram. I can read over the same crap 3000 times and it won't make a difference. If I was taught it in class, I know it. If not, I don't. This means I spend almost infinitely more time helping OTHER people study for tests than I do for myself. I never study.

When I'm typing, I'm going over what I plan to type in my head, usually keeping on the same word that I'm typing. Occasionally, I'll get ahead of myself and begin typing without thinking or thinking ahead of my typing. Errors and nonsensical statements result.

For anything artistic, which for me would be my rather poor CGing attempts, I absolutely need music. Nothing happens without it, and what kind of music is playing directly affects the CG that results.

First things first for video games; I'm not a button masher. I use technique and carefully executed skill (or, in the case of something like Sonic, holding right and hitting "C" at the correct time ;P). I can also hold down a perfectly normal conversation while I'm at it and suffer no performance loss.

For school, it doesn't matter. I can concentrate on my work as long as people aren't talking TO me. One thing I have noticed is that I do much better when I have some sort of crutch; some way to check at least a couple answers. Usually, I'll make some stupid mistake early on and carry it through everything; ie running numbers through a formula BACKWARDS. Being able to check one or two answers will make me realize that. Thus, I despise it when the math assignment is all even numbered problems; I have no way to make sure I'm doing it right, and since everyone always asks me what I got for the answer, I can't always depend on someone else to back me up.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

It has to be completely quite in order for me to write. (I am going to be a English Major)

But when I put my thinking cap on I can usually tune into the sounds of nature to help me ease my way.

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:01 pm
Profile ICQ
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Posting
I have music on, I just post, check my work then click submit, I make few errors.

Spriting
I sing/hum to music and tap my feet, always. I like there to be no noise other than music when im spriting. But MSN convos go 'bing' every so often and its ANNOYING. :P

Writing
Same as posting really, for paper and computer. I just listen to music.

Homework
For some reason, I get headaches very easily while doing homework.

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I really like having quiet to concentrate in, but at my house that happens about once in a blue moon, so I've gotten used to working amidst the noise, although I still have a hard time gathering my thoughts into a post when everyone else is singing, talking, shouting, ect.

Spriting I can do when it's noisy, as long as no one is actually looking over my shoulder at whatever it is I happen to be working on.

I don't write much, but when I do, I prefer complete, absolute and utter silence. OR ELSE.

Homework: Hahaha! I don't have homework. Lucky me!

Drawing: Whenever I draw, I do it on my bed in my room. Most of the time it's quiet, and I don't have to worry about anyone bumping me or shaking the table.

Video Games: Whenever anyone starts playing a game at my house, all the kids are sucked over like a magnet. I love having their advice, converstion, and jokes. We get to compare high scores, give suggestions, talk about game features, do 2 player stuff, and, occasionaly, get into arguments. It's fun. ^_^ Well, all except the arguments.

Just popped back in 2023 to poke around and feel nostalgic. <3 If you're reading this, and I knew you back in the day, drop me a line sometime and we can reminisce! I'm at cloudmartian at gmail dot com

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:41 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

So far I'm the only person who voted that they need noise to think.

Well... it's true for me :mrgreen:

I have music on all the time in my room and have my CD player with me on outings. The noise of my school doesn't bother me (unless it's directed at me).

I actually don't like silence - it leaves me alone with my own thoughts. My thoughts scare me, so... yeah... (Like, I remember stuff I don't want to when it's quiet.)

Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:47 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Posting: Music is kinda' nice. I generally put some on when I'm writing in an RP or my (lone) fan fic. For some reason, I seem to type faster and better then.

Spriting: I'm normally not bothered. If something's on, I can live with it, if something's not, then big deal.

Writing: Definitly makes a harsh maths homework easier if I play some random music.

Homework: To be honest, I never do any other writing outside of homework, so this is basically the same as writing.

Drawing: No idea, I haven't drawn in years, due to my suckitude. Probably doesn't need music.

Videogames
: Those who make noise during videogaming are KO'd on the spot. That's why I always use headphones with my GBA/DS.

School Classes: I find it hard to concentrate if EVERY STINKING KID IS YAMMERING ON! Probably linked to the videogame thing.

Silence can suck a bit, but at school it's a blessing.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Unless I'm on the computer screwing around, I usually prefer no sound at all. When I had school and homework, I prefered silence and I prefer silence at work. However, it doesn't matter what's going on, I don't concentrate. When doing homework, I always thought about what I'd rather be doing. When working, I can't walk 5 feet without forgetting what I was doing.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:14 pm
is very close to getting banned

I need to multi-task to get anything done. I kid you not - I have yet to make a sprite that was done without my talking to one, two, or seven people on Skype at the same time. If I'm not thinking on at least three layers on my mind when I do something, it doesn't get done.

For example, as I type this I'm thinking of ways to obtain more phone credit, concentrating on my typing (I'm a fast typer but I don't like mistakes) and what I'm writing, and enjoying and/or singing the song I'm listening to ((The Final Countdown [Europe]))

Just ask Paul - whenever I have an assignment, I have to be talking, singing, Role Playing or something to get it done. It's weird, but hey ^_^

EDIT: I forgot my most important activity! Drawing! I'll draw whenever, but I usually concentrate best when I'm in class, and I'm listening to the teacher's lecture in the background. Dead serious. Or the sound of the class talking. The environment influences what I feel like doing - drawing something new, or coloring something old.

EDIT AGAIN: I remembered an exception to the rule! Emails! I cannot for the life of me write an email while doing something else! This is the one thing that I must focus completey on, otherwise I get distracted and lose my train of thought. For this reason, I'm not too big a fan of emails - although I love receiving them!

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Posting
I usually just type and somehow it makes sense, I usually do this while there is quite a lot of noise around.

Spriting

I have music on and sing along to the tune while I'm doing it. Mostly the same song, but sometimes I'll have a sudden change of heart and switch to a playlist.

Writing

I must have music on while I'm writing, I can never get anything done without some music, I'm a fairly fast typer so I just concentrate on the music while my fingers move rapidly along the keyboard. I like to listen to whole music playlists while I'm doing this. ((Currently I'm continuing my Hell Hath no Fury story while listening to my "England Football Songs" Playlist ^_^ ))

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:04 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I used to always have to have the Television on (with sound) or else I just get bored of writing. I used to find it really hard in school, when I had to do a test and there was no T.V., so I had to hum some of the tunes off of the television in my head which helped slightly, but didn't help much. But now I'm used to writing without Television or sound since I asked my father to train me so that I was able to write without moving visuals and sound.

Reading
Sometimes I listen to music, and sing in my head each beat which helps me to create a song of the writing that I'm reading, and so I can remember the book, I also use this method to memorise things.

Anything to do with the Internet or Computers
Requires pure concentration so I make sure that I make no mistake, if I make a mistake, I get really stressed.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:51 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Usualy, when i'm writing or doing homework i have the TV open. In fact the TV is opened almost all day long.

When I'm playing i like total silence exept for in-game music or speach. The same goes for when I'm concentrating or thinking. Enjoy the Silence

Image Image

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:30 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

When I'm writing poetry or one of my two stories it doesn't really matter how much noise my big Italian family makes. I'm used to it, I guess.

But, when I'm working on homework or reading a particularly bland book that my teacher orders me to torture my brain with (**coughs** The Fall of the House of Usher **coughs**) I need perfect silence, which is rare around here unless everyone is either asleep or not home. Wierd, huh? When I'm creating, I don't need a particularly quiet environment, but if I'm reading someone else's work it has to be no louder than a freakin' cemetery....(that was creepy, I know. I need to work on my analogies...)

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:09 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I really dont need it any specific way. For writing, spriting, homework, posting etc, etc. I can do in silence, with noise, or with music.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:48 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I usually slam my door shut, do most of my homework, and wait until my sibling runs in the room asking if I'm mad at them for slamming the door.
I finish my homework in the morning.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]