It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Donors 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I vaguely remember a topic like this some time ago but I searched back a few pages and didn't see it. If I'm wrong and it's there or this is a **** topic, just yell at me :o

Anyway, today was a big first for me. Every two months the "Life Bus" comes to my high school, picks up a bunch of eligible blood donors and ships them off to the donation clinic. In Canada you have to be 17 years old to go, which means I've been eligible for almost six months, but the last time the Life Bus came around I was home sick with a throat infection. Today was the first trip after summer holidays and I was actually literally the first to sign up. It's not too bad -- I got to school, checked in with home room and then was bused across the city where I was asked awkward questions about my sex life, poked with a needle and then fed diet Coke and Nutrigrains.

It was a really good experience and something I'm definitely going to continue with. One of the nurses pointed to the other side of the wall that divided the clinic in half at the plasma donors. She said they may as well be a weekly club; the same eight or nine of them come every Friday and donate plasma together. She said it's like that for every day of the week. I had the pleasure of talking to one of the long-time weekly plasma donors (he's almost at 600 donations) and it was quite inspiring. He said he was over 70 years old and one of the only people he knows his age still healthy enough to donate.

It's just a great thing to do, I think. I think what I'll do is sign up for the Life Bus until I graduate and, if there's a clinic near my university, keep going. I'm still wearing the "1" pin they gave me for donating blood for the first time, but I'd like to see that 1 with a couple more zeros on the end.

Have any of you ever given blood? Whole blood, platelets, plasma? I made up my mind years ago that as soon as I got my driver's license I'd sign my organ donor card, too. I can live with a sore arm for a few hours and a signature on a piece of paper if it's going to save God knows how many lives. The nurses at the clinic told me that each whole blood donation saves, on average, about 3 lives. I can donate blood every 56 days; that means in a year I could save 19 lives.

What do you guys think?

Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:59 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I am a blood donor, yes. At the high school I went too, every few months, the local bloodcenter would come and set up a blood drive in our library. Anyone 16 or older (16 year olds had to have permission slips signed) could sign up to donate whole blood or do platelets. I did whole blood every time.

I actually have a donor card, so now if I went to the same blood center, they could just scan my card and they would have all my info already on their systems. I do feel good knowing that I am helping save a handful of lives every time I donate, and I think it's more than worth the couple seconds of pain.

Also, I'm A positive.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

I'm like, terrified of needles. I don't know if I could give blood. When I was in high school they had blood drives, but I never went, because I'm scared to death of needles. I've thought about doing it to try to overcome my fear of pain, but I've wussed out everytime I've had the opportunity.

Do they tell you what your blood type is? Because I have no idea what mine is....

Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Krisp wrote:
Do they tell you what your blood type is? Because I have no idea what mine is....

You can request for them to tell you your blood type. They might also send you a card in the mail with your blood type, like they did for me.

If you want to know without donating, your blood type should also be on your official birth certificate, IIRC.

Yeah, needles can be scary... but once I started donating, I lost any intimidation needles used to give me.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:41 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Back in school they just took you down the cafeteria and held you there for a few periods. You got cookies and some juice if you give and I've tried like...3 times. The first time they wouldn't take me because I was at a party the night before and had marijuana in my system and the last two I couldn't because of recent sexual encounters....they just didn't like me there. :( It was kinda scary though cuz the machine they had you to would have like convulsions you'd think it was gonna explode and cover everyone in your blood. I'm not much of a fan of doning blood or such anyway...I would, however, donate my body to science or give up a kidney to help out a friend.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000277476380 Let's be friends?

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:01 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I bought a DIY blood typing kit online a few months back and that's how I learned my blood type. They also told me it'd be on my blood donor card when I get it in the mail (yeah, same as you R_R, this way it's much simpler to donate) but it's not on my birth certificate. It'd be kind of cool if it was, though D:

It's a little anxiety causing but that's all. When the nurse brought me to that little room to interrogate me about sex/drugs I got really anxious so when she checked my vitals my pulse was really high (about 100). She kind of laughed, asked me if I was nervous and said that they get that a lot with first time donors.

I'm fine with needles and vaccinations so I didn't really have any problem at all with this. I did feel kind of woozy yesterday though.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:09 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I personally couldn't do it. I'm not horribly afriad of needles, but I do panic a little when I see one (hate getting cavities filled/root canals because of the freakin' shots). Last year I had a major Mono scare and had to get blood drawn like every month for tests, and that was like a nightmare for me. It's admirable that you guys can go through this, but I couldn't.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:04 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I get so scared when it comes to needles. Everytime I go to the doctor, I get so scared I can't even talk. But sometimes when we have our shots at school(Meningitis, Hepititis, you, that stuff), I don't get scared, just nervous. But now, I'm not scared anymore! :D

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:58 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Saint_Jimmy wrote:
The first time they wouldn't take me because I was at a party the night before and had marijuana in my system and the last two I couldn't because of recent sexual encounters....they just didn't like me there. :(

Well, that's for health and safety regulation reasons, not because they didn't like you.

And yeah, I may be fine with getting needles stuck in me, but if I don't have a soda that has sugar in it to drink during the blood withdrawal, I pass out afterwards. The first time I donated, I got halfway back to the table and collapsed. But once they gave me a Coca Cola, I felt fine. Every time after that I asked if they could give me a Coke ahead of time to drink during the blood drawing process.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

While I understand the principles behind giving blood I've never been able to bring myself to give blood for a couple of reasons. One being that over the past couple of years the NHS have taken enough of my blood to fill a warehouse and the second I'm not comfortable with being essentially harvested. Sounds selfish I know but I prefer my bodily fluids where they are.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:08 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

@Saint_Jimmy: Really? Here you're only disqualified if you've had sex with somebody who has either a) had sex with a man, b) tested positive for HIV or c) has an unknown sexual history. Drugs only disqualify you if you've injected them with a needle. Then again, this is Canada and if you removed "pot-smokers" from the list of acceptable donors you'd be down to about 2% of our total population. I remember a guy I was donating with was joking about the survey answers (stuff about handling monkeys etc) and he's like, "I smoked pot in grade 9. Should I tell them? Like it was in grade nine but should I tell them?" and being all worried about it. He did and it was fine. :|

@R_R: Really, you passed out? D: That's awful. It's quite admirable you still go back, though. Here if you take 8 minutes to draw (which I did) you have to wait 8 minutes before you're allowed to even sit up. Then you have to walk about 15 feet to the "cookie table" where a volunteer gets you a drink and some cookies.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:10 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I can't, because I'm so scared of needles, and of losing my blood.
I understand the concpet, and I admire people who can, but I'll stick with the helping out rather than the blood giving. :(
Also I think my blood type is like, AB-, which can't really be given to people EXCEPT for other ABs, who can accept blood from most anyone (depending on pos neg).
So I don't think it's that huge of a loss, which justifies it it in my mind.

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:57 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

You can't pay for sex either.

AB+, universal blood receiver, universal platelet donor.

I haven't donated in a while. It's annoying to see how many pussies there are.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:44 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

DatVu wrote:
You can't pay for sex either...It's annoying to see how many pussies there are.

You obviously haven't been to the right convenience stores yet. And don't call everyone who doesn't donate blood a *****. I doubt my one blood donation could save the planet, so no one is at a huge loss if I don't show up. And people experience irrational fears of things they just can't get over, and a fear of needles is one of the biggest ones I've ever heard of. That and clowns.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:50 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

lol... what?

If everybody had your mentality then... people would die a lot more often. It doesn't matter where you live and frankly I don't even care enough to scroll down and see if you have it listed but seriously, what the ****? "I'm just one person so I don't matter"... WELL YEAH THE PEOPLE WHO DONATE PLASMA ONCE A WEEK ARE JUST SINGLE PEOPLE THEMSELVES. How the **** is that even an excuse?! I've never ever heard that before for anything like charities or blood banks or organ donation before. What the hell? :|

I'm really, really afraid of heights. I mean, I stand on a two step ladder at work to stock the high shelves and I can't eat for a few hours. If I had to stand on top of a ladder for 16 minutes to save THREE LIVES, I think I'd do it. Don't be a douchebag. And don't be all WELL THAT'S YOU because yeah, that IS me, and I'm afraid of anything. I DON'T take risks, I just don't. I hold the railing and the wall when I walk up the stairs because I'm so afraid of falling. Pretty sure if I can handle it, somebody can handle a needle in their arm for a few minutes.

I mean how **** insensitive is that?

"Hey Jamie, you can save three lives today."
"Yo awesome sign me up."
"Wait, you'll feel a slight pinch for about 15 minutes. That okay?"
"**** NO THREE LIVES ARE NOT WORTH THAT"

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]