Spoiled 33%  33%  [ 10 ]
Neutral 33%  33%  [ 10 ]
No, not spoiled 27%  27%  [ 8 ]
Neglected 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 30

Are you spoiled? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

A simple question that I've been wondering. Now just because your spoiled doesn't mean your a brat. Please be honest. Now, since I'm in upper middle class my parents do occasionally spoil me. I got a 50" samsung plasma tv for me and my sister's kids room just because I asked for one. See, not all black people are hoodlums :lol: This topic is obviously for people who still live with their parents. I picked Spoiled since my parents still don't get EVERTHING I want.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I... admit that I'm a little spoilt. My dad in particular loves to reach for the wallet when my school report comes in, but I guess that's a German thing. :P

On the other hand, I never ask for very much. My things rarely break, and I'm easily satisfied with what I have. Furthermore, I'm an utter cheapskate, and almost never impulse-buy crap. It kinda evens out: I don't cost much from day-to-day, so the occasional treat doesn't seem so bad.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I will admit I'm a little spoiled. :p

I too don't ask for much mainly because there really is not much these days that I really want, other than a new laptop.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:26 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I wouldn't say I'm spoiled, but I mean, it's not bad enough that I can't get anything. If I want something, I usually buy it myself. My parents are good to me on my birthday etc though, but they don't spoil me too badly.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:12 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Im spoiled but im not a brat.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:57 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

yes. we are all spoiled children. :D

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:31 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I am inside your soul. It's actually really comfortable in here.
I'm somewhere in between Spoiled and Neutral. I don't get much allowance, but if I have about 2/3 of the money to buy something, my parents would usually buy the rest of it with their own money. I buy the more expensive things with my own money, though.
I also get quite a lot of candy, and I drink on average 1-2 cups of soda a day.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I know my parents love me, but I'm anti-spoiled. I never received much for birthdays or Christmas, and my parents never bought me anything on any other day (except perhaps a snack from the grocery store). I never received an allowance, and I was always punished but never rewarded. Good grades and behavior awarded a "good job" only, and bad behavior and poor grades warrented not only a beating but belittlement from my mother. My brothers and I were expected to clean the house and often cook dinner before she came home from work, and if not, we were "lazy bastards." I didn't live with my father, but for most of my earlier years (birth to 12), he was a very aggressive and angry person.

Perhaps because I had two brothers (a twin and one older brother) growing up with two divorced working parents, they paid less attention to me (or any of us) than may be necessary. My older brother took my mother's time by being the typical oldest child, and my father played favorites with my twin, Andrew. Monetarily we all received equal attention, but emotionally, we were all treated differently. I suppose most people seem to think being spoiled is a purely materialistic idea though.

Cute poll, by the way. :3 I like this thread.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:40 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

My parents are letting me stay at home at 21, without working, AND they're paying for college for me.

In other words, I'm a **** spoiled white boy. :(

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:43 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ha ha ha. Don't let yourself start complaining, now, Frost.

I'd say I'm slightly spoiled. I don't get an allowance per se, but I work at my dad's business and then they'll let me go out with my friends and money in my wallet. It's more like getting paid. But without a specific rate.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:53 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'd have to say I'm not. when living at home I got small allowance, but anything past a gameboy game was a dream for me except for renting and birthday/x-mas. Then when I turned 15 I got a job. I moved out when I was 18 and have paid for my own schooling (which is slow-going) and I currently work full-time and pay all the bills for my apartment.

D@RKN&ZZ999 wrote:
I got a 50" samsung plasma tv for me and my sister's kids room just because I asked for one.

>.>
I have a 19" LCD screen, and I had to buy it at 50% off....

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:25 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

I think I was somewhat spoiled growing up. I had a Sega Genesis when I was little (but only got games for it on special occasion), a Nintendo 64 when I was 12, and my mom bought me a Gameboy Color, Advance, and SP. I didn't get a TV in my room until I was like...15, and I certainly didn't have cable until I was 17 or so. When I was a kid, if I acted like a twat, my mom beat the :censored: out of me (with the belt, even.)

Right now, I pay my own bills (except I live with my mom still - I have to pay her rent though...), have a full time job, and everything I want I buy myself.

This thread would be great for my brother. Maybe I should invite him back to Psypoke to post in it...he could talk about how he has internet and cable in his room, a cellphone, a car, and never got beat as a kid even though he acted up as much as I did. He has to go to a special school because he got straight F's in normal school...when I had all F's my mom beat me for it like everytime a teacher called her or wrote her a letter (which was like every two weeks :( )

Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Frost wrote:
My parents are letting me stay at home at 21, without working, AND they're paying for college for me.

In other words, I'm a :censored: spoiled white boy. :(

My parents would NEVER do that(good thing they won't need to, no offense). My dad always get angry when I ask stuff and says I never do what he tells him to do, which gets really annoying since I barely ask him to get stuff. My parents are pretty strict so like I said before I'm not spoiled silly. But, having things and being spoiled does have it advantages, especially when poor rednecks try to come up to me and say I'm poor because I'm black :lol: I like the look I see on their face when they see how much nice things I have. But I still try to save up my money and don't try to ask my parents a lot. My dad also takes away my DS and Wii for the dumbest reasons :frustrated:

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Quote:
My dad always get angry when I ask stuff

Quote:
I'm not spoiled silly.

Quote:
I see on their face when they see how much nice things I have.

Quote:
got a 50" samsung plasma tv for me and my sister's kids room just because I asked for one.

I can't be the only one who sees contradiction here. I also suspect I'm not the only one who rolled his eyes at every single post D@rK53fdk#%$ has made lately. OH NO KRISP IS BEING MEAN ON THE INTERNET AGAIN FLOOD HIS/HER PM BOX NOW

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Quote:
My dad in particular loves to reach for the wallet when my school report comes in, but I guess that's a German thing. :P

On the other hand, I never ask for very much. My things rarely break, and I'm easily satisfied with what I have. Furthermore, I'm an utter cheapskate, and almost never impulse-buy crap. It kinda evens out: I don't cost much from day-to-day, so the occasional treat doesn't seem so bad.

It is a German thing - my father reaches for his wallet, or showers me with electronics whenever he sees decent grades. I always thought that it was because he never spent time with me, and he's trying to fix things up.

You and I are alike - I never ask for anything, low maintenance. Impulse buy, my butt - I usually take 3 - 5 days to decide on a luxury. And, if its not on sale, we don't get it. No hard dives were on sale, or monitors, so when I saw my neighbor throwing out a perfectly good monitor just because it was small, I asked them for it, and took it in. Its still good, even after 12 years. Another neighbor had a problem with their cheapo computer, ended up being that the motherboard was blown (it shut off and turned on spontaneously), and gave them the bad news. They went out and bought a laptop, I got the hard drive (120 GB), that still works to this day.
In terms of food, I skimp on that as well - Peanut Butter and Jelly is just fine - takes about 25 cents to make, I make 2, put them into reusable containers, and I am satisfied for lunch (college food is expensive). My mother will occasionally find cold cuts at a "cheap price", so she'll pick them up, and I of course stuff that sandwhich with onions, lettuce, tomoatoes, and cheaper stuff.

Don't get me started on food. "We need bread? I think not." "The millk is up 2 cents from last week, you price gouging pieces of crap, this is extortion" "Chi hua, that soda is 89 cents? NEVER AGAIN. We shall now enjoy water". "Its not on sale, we're not getting it, even if you do need it for school bake sale - use the stuff in the basement, even if it is from 10 years ago". I thank my mother for that.

I actually do need a new laptop for the fall, but thats because my college requires higher specs (Windows 7 will flood the college programs). And 2 GB RAM will not work with some of my anatomy and organic chem classes.

Quote:
I'm somewhere in between Spoiled and Neutral. I don't get much allowance, but if I have about 2/3 of the money to buy something, my parents would usually buy the rest of it with their own money. I buy the more expensive things with my own money, though.
I also get quite a lot of candy, and I drink on average 1-2 cups of soda a day.

And that's the problem with the U.S., and most Western countries of today - you don't earn it, you just get it handed to you. I earned spending money when I was little by taking out the garbage, cleaning the bathroom, setting the table, clearing the table, getting good grades. And it was a dollar every week - I earned the rest by looking in phone booths and keeping an eye on the floor for money. My mother asked me if I was robbing people, and then, when we ran errands together, I showed her - dimes, nickels, quarters. I actually found a 20 on the floor once, and she was like "holy crud".

I never spent it, and by the time I was 8, I had more money than my sister, who got more of a pay for services, and was getting it for a year longer. And by the time I was 9, I got more interest than my sister, shoving everything into that tiny little account.

DatVu knows what I went through - when I got bad grades, or offended soemone by proving them wrong (it was msot fun with the teacher), I was punished.

Quote:

In other words, I'm a :censored: spoiled white boy. :(

No kidding - my parents are letting me stay until I graduate Medical school, but I have to either pay for college or get by on scholarships.
I should mention that I haven't even touched my college fund yet, except for books. And I don't plan to use too much, so I have it earning 4% in massive CDs (25K is not that much, but still).
I am paying 200 a month though for my keep - transportaion (runs around 80 a month), my food, wake up service, chauffer when needed, security. Though, I pay more than 200 - I deal with the house responsibilities, like taking out the garbage, setting the table, taking care of my mother, cleaning the house.

Krisp, I know how you feel int terms of older siblings. My sisters ran the house, and didn't get punished, nothing more than a yelling and "go to your room". My oldest sister got a car, 2 cars in fact (my fathers old one, and a new one), partied, and had no real cares. My slightly older sister ran the house, called the shots. And I was the one that got in trouble for fighting with her, when she started it and got violent. She raised the meat cleaver to me, and my mother yelled at me for disobeying my sister.

I got, and still do get, everything I need, and some things I want, but I earned them, and that is what seperates the spoiled from the non-spoiled. I do work, and I take any free money I can get (I get paid $50 a week for sitting in a room and listening to someone talk), but I save most of it (full disclosure - I am buying Platinum, the first thing I bought for myself aside from clothing, since last May).

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:22 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Um...not really.

I had a friend in school who had to do the dishes, mow the lawn, clean the house, feed the dogs, AND maintain good grades. She didn't get a :censored: dime for it either. She said her dad said she was lucky she got to live under his roof and eat his food.

So please, tell me how you are not spoiled.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'd have to say nuetral for me. I rarely ask for anything (Like a couple things a year) and sometimes I don't get them. I don't really get things when I don't need it (Like if mine is still working or fitting). I've had the same shoes for about year, I never really get new clothes unless I really need them, and I'm happy with the games I have (Though I am getting Platinum).

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:51 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I have never gotten allowance ever, I have to clean the bathroom, empty/load the dishwasher, take out the garbage/reycling/compost, maintian the dog and the cat, keep the grades up, practice cello everyday, read everyday (both for thirty minutes), (my parents call me their own little workforce, lol) but I by no means get beaten, I can't imagine what that would be like :( I do get quite an extensive birthday/christmas, so it's inbetween neutral and spoiled.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:01 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: On a little blue marble called Earth rolling through the playground known as the Solar System.
I'd say I'm spoiled within reason. I don't get everything I want or money for doing well in school, but my parents pay for about a third or a half of anything that I buy that's expensive, but for stuff like video games, I'm on my own except for shipping. As far as gifts go, I get some major gifts for the winter holiday , such as a good watch or a cell phone, and then some smaller gifts such as a video game or a model plane. I get an allowance every week, and I get paid for help my dad fix/make something large.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

i wouldn't say im spoiled silly but my parents do get some good bits for b-day/x-mas and my grandad dosen't mind putting his hand in his pocket but not all the time and whoever said about the older sibling thing is not always right as im the oldest of 4 almost 5 and im not as spoiled as some people *gives evil stares to younger sister* so i put spoiled but i dont always ask for alot anyway.

good thread by the way :D

My Soul Silver Team:
{feraligatr} {charizard} {sceptile} {ampharos} {crobat} {scizor}

Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:06 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I've got a computer, iPod, Wii, DS, and my mom's old car (instead of having to buy a used one from someone else or something) and have little responsibility outside of a paper route, doing dishes, and mowing the lawn. I've never had an actual job yet, do well in school without trying very hard, my school's sport teams are so small there is no such thing as being benched, and live in town so I don't need to use a lot of gas. Yep, I'm spoiled.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:20 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm not that spoiled, I got a GBA, I can surf the Internet I have a Tamgotchi, but my parents ARE good.~

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:24 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I selected Neutral. I'm not spoiled that much, I still get presents for my birthday and I get new game consoles SOMETIMES, and I get lots of time on the computer and the Internet, but I don't really think that's spoiled. I don't really get much, other than the things I mentioned and things I need for school.

3DS FC: Snail 4527-8592-7979

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:45 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't get whatever I want, so i guess I'm nuetral. I'm glad though, because spoiled people are just... ugh. To get my own games, I need to *punch* *whack* *smack* ugh... can't.... discuss.. ro- *whack* *smack* *pow*

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:16 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

In my opinion, being an American pretty much means that you're spoiled, as you are handed education oppertunities and luxeries that a large sum of people were never even offered. I come from an upper-middle class family and my parents, like Frost's, offered to pay for the majority of my college funds and allow me to live with them well into my twenties.

I'd like to go with spoiled silly, as I have those things going on.

Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next