It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Marching Band 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

(I contemplated about putting it in the music section earlier, but I'll post it here, sorry if it's wrong...)

Anyone starting marching band soon, or have you started it? We just practiced for the first time today on a football field, we've been doing fundamentals in the middle of a track. Anyway, share your stories and stuff.

We just did some real marching with our instruments today, and as a first time sousa player (played euph before), it was KILLER! You may mock the sousa players for them cheating with their shoulder, but NOOOOO. I got home, took a shower, got some muscle relaxer, an ibuprofen, and went straight to bed. It was HARD. I'll post a pic of me and my sousaphone tommorow.

Anyone else?

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:43 pm
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

Haha, I know where you're coming from. This is my 3rd year marching Sousaphone.

I attended band camp during the first week of August, and now all that I need go to are the practices on Monday nights (just for a couple hours). Of course, we'll practice during class when school begins. Practice was today, actually. I made the mistake of going without having eaten or drank anything yet. >_>;

I never used any medicines for band, except sunscreen, if that counts. There was this guy in my section who complained of any aching shoulder and decided to march without his sousaphone after taking a ton of painkillers and whining. I did put him in his place later though. I agree, the left shoulder can get annoying, but it's part of marching sousaphone, so he can tough up or gtfo. ;P

I love marching band, and at least half of my friends are in marching band too, so that works out nicely.

And, GD is fine for this thread.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The pain was in part to the fact that we hold our sousaphone the wrong way at our school. And even though I'm a junior, I'm still the lightest one in the section.

And I didn't complain or show in any way that I was in pain. I had to set a good example for the freshmen. (And I was the first 'marcher of the week' this whole year.) Trust me, I love playing sousaphone. The only thing I love more than playing sousaphone is playing tuba. It's my true love...

I'll post pics in ten minutes about what I'm talking about. Got to do some chores really quick...

Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:07 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Marching Band is a cult.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:43 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Kirke wrote:
Marching Band is a cult.

Lulz, you sound exactly like someone at my school. :lol: If I didn't know better, I'd say you WERE her. Wait - everyone calls it a cult, she calls it a more than that - a religion (cult sounds better, imo).

I'm a junior and I march flute in the band. This would be the second year for me (yeah, I failed to see the light freshman year :cry: ). I'd love to type more, but I have to get off now. Nice thread, btw.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:52 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Marching band is a sport, son. We're almost more physically challenging than football, but only the bands that are bad enough to ram into each other have achieved that title.

I can't believe we finished learning the whole show in one week! Now the rest of the whole year is just dedicated to perfection! WOW! Go new school! o/

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]