It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shooting At VT 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

There was a shooting at Virginia Tech, in Blacksburg, Virginia.
Here's a quote:
Quote:
BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman killed 30 people in two shooting incidents Monday at a college in Virginia in the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. The gunman also was killed, and at least 22 other people were injured.

“Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions,” said Charles Steger, president of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, in southwest Virginia. “The university is shocked and indeed horrified.”

President Bush said in a brief televised statement: “Schools should be places of sanctuary and safety and learning. ... Today, our nation grieves with those who have lost loved ones at Virginia Tech.”

The shootings spread panic and confusion at the college. Witnesses reporting students jumping out the windows of a classroom building to escape the gunfire, which rang out just four days before the eighth anniversary of the Columbine High School bloodbath near Littleton, Colo., when two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

Federal law enforcement officials told NBC News that the gunman was dead after he shot more than 50 people at two locations on campus. Thirty-one, including the gunman, were confirmed dead.

At least 22 others were being treated at Montgomery Regional Hospital in Blacksburg and Lewis-Gale Medical Center in Salem, the hospitals said. Six of the victims were in surgery, and five were reported in stable condition. The conditions of the 17 others were not immediately reported.

The name of the gunman was not released. Witnesses described him as a man in his 20s, wearing a maroon cap and a black leather jacket. A spokesman for the FBI in Washington said there was no immediate evidence to suggest it was a terrorist attack, “but all avenues will be explored.”

Silent gunman ‘just started shooting’
The man did not appear to be shooting at random, NBC News’ Pete Williams reported, quoting federal law enforcement officials. He seemed to have specifically targeted the two locations, a coeducational dormitory and an engineering classroom across campus.

Law enforcement officials said the gunman carried two weapons, a 9-mm pistol and a 22-caliber handgun, Williams reported. They said gunman chained the doors of the classroom building so his potential victims could not escape and police could not enter.

A student in the engineering class describe an “unreal” scene with “blood pretty much everywhere.”

“None of us thought it could have been gunshots,” the student, who identified himself as Trey Perkins, told MSNBC’s Chris Jansing in a telephone interview. “... I’m not sure how long it lasted. It seemed like a really long time.”

Perkins said the gunman never said a word. “He didn’t say, ‘Get down.’ He didn’t say anything.” He just started shooting.”

The gunman left the classroom and then tried to return, but students kept him out by bracing the door closed with their feet. “He started to try to come in again and started shooting through the door,” Perkins said, but hit no one.

“I got on the ground and I was just thinking, like, there’s no way I’m going to survive this,” Perkins said. “All I could keep thinking of was my mom.”

Thanks goes to http://www.msn.com (the story is on the front page for the whole thing)
Scary thought, I being born in Blacksburg Virginia took my first breath in the same hospital that some of the students took their last.

This is very scary but I don't think it was a terrorist attack. Any thoughts on any of it?

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

“I got on the ground and I was just thinking, like, there’s no way I’m going to survive this,” Perkins said. “All I could keep thinking of was my mom.”

Am I the only one that laughed really hard at this?

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:52 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Quote:

Certainly.

That's terrifying. I mean, if you were there and witnessed it all, it must leave you scarred for life, I wouldn't feel safe being with a group of people.

The world is one scary place, or at least, people like that make it scary.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:19 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

It sometimes astounds me how things like this happen, but...it's the cruel truth of life - people die even if they weren't meant to. I do, however, have condolences for the victims. I do know how having somebody you care for on the brink of death must feel for the families. (well, it's a different story and I don't feel like elaborating but yeah, I know the feeling)

I also feel sorry for the students and faculty who witnessed the shooting and lived, like Obs. They must be pretty mucked up right now, having seen what they did. The scariest thing is going by the article, the gunman didn't say anything. Just...opened fire. I shudder at the thought of that for reasons I don't even know.

-Gardevoir~

Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:28 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The most horrid thing of all is I'm sure I know someone online who goes to Virginia Tech, because the name struck me as oddly familiar... I think I might know which forum the member's on, if he goes to that school at all...

*checks*

There's nothing on there about the shooting... But there probably will be soon. I'll probably keep checking back...

School shootings are so horrid. I remember reading the entire Wiki article on Columbine at 3am one day during the summer. I was terrified and couldn't sleep that night. That article actually goes through everything Eric and Dylan said, every room they visited, everything person they threatened, shot... It's unnerving to say the least.

My deepest sympathies go out to the victims, their families, their friends, and everyone else who has been affected by this awful thing.

My sympathies also go out to Pheoxis, in hopes that he someday obtains a soul.

Hopefully... Hopefully they get a breakthrough on the investigation. I don't know what I'd do if I witnessed ANY of that; I mean, I'm an emotional wreck and have sleeping problems just living my day to day life (which is nothing bad, I just suck). >.>

I wonder why, though... What would lead him to do that?

Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:31 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

You can guarantee Jack Thompson and Michael Moore will have a field day with this one. Anyway... What I'm wondering is how he made it to the science building without being noticed. According to eye witnesses he was carrying ungodly amounts of ammunition.

What really shocks me is that the students were given the all clear after the first incident and were having to use the internet to find out what was really going on.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

You can guarantee Jack Thompson and Michael Moore will have a field day with this one. Anyway... What I'm wondering is how he made it to the science building without being noticed. According to eye witnesses he was carrying ungodly amounts of ammunition.

What really shocks me is that the students were given the all clear after the first incident and were having to use the internet to find out what was really going on.

It seems that they shut down the dorms, they did not suspect that that horrible sick man was going to a teaching facility.
I think that there was an intended target with the dorm murders, I think it was one person and another was in the wrong place in the wrong time...
They still do not know if the two murders/massacres were linked but I think that they definetly were. Or it was a really horrible coincidence...

I also wish that Pheoxis would get a soul. I don't understand how that would be funny, crouched under a desk (probably crying) and hoping that he gets out alive and was worrying what his mom was going to think. That's not funny, that's horrifying. Very.

Just checked in with my cousins that live in Charlottesville, home to UVA, just about 20-30 minutes up the road, and they're safe. So that's good.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I've had to hear about many a death today.

First my friend's brother's pet died.

Then my other friend's dad's best friend.

And now Virgina Tech.

The man killed himself after taking the lives of others, which is common in a situation like this. Really, who would want to go through being sued and most likely executed?

The details of the gunman are very much like the details of a college student, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was a student. A grudge gone very bad, I suppose (that is, if I haven't experienced the worst effect of a grudge already).

The whole thing just proves that there is no such thing as safety, especially at schools. If you were one of those kids, what would your chances of dying be?

Extremely high, if not 99 percent.

If you equipped your home with metal plates to the point where it was probably impossible to be killed?

It's still possible you could be killed in your sleep. Technology can and will eventually construct a device for killing through substances harder than you could imagine. Defense is not an intelligent choice, as it will be countered one way or another.

Aye, I woe for the dead and the families. As well as the gunman. Kid didn't know any better.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

As well as the gunman. Kid didn't know any better

I for one do not feel sorry for the gunman. He knew that it was wrong to kill that many people...the death count is still rising as I type this.
Over thirty I believe. This is not good.
I don't feel sorry for the gunman, if he were still alive I bet the parents and families would have something to say to him as well.
A kindergarten teacher at a local elementary school around my subdivision drove all the way up to VT just to see if her children were okay.
The gunman knew better, just didn't decide to take the high road.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Kasey, I admire you for your compassion; I was surprised to hear you say something like that... I just didn't think it was your personality. Pleasantly surprised though, maybe I'm just a pessimist and see the worst in people.

I'm not going to judge the gunman without knowing him, first. Or knowing more about his case, at least... I have this thing for feeling bad for people. I mean, I didn't even find Eric Klebold and Dylan Harris that guilty after all THEY did... I kind of felt bad for them, even though they killed so many and ruined the lives of countless people.

The death count was at 33 on my last check.

There has certainly been an rise in school shootings lately... I remember when the university in Montréal had it's shooting not too long ago. It was really unnerving; I stood outside that university just last summer. School shootings always unnerve me, though.

If you'd like to read a good book on a school shooting, I suggest Give A Boy A Gun... It's really good, and somehow reminded me of my computer addicted friends (although I hadn't been too involved in Psypoke back then, so it wasn't you guys). It's a terribly easy and quick read, but good nonetheless.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Anyway, I hate how people automatically think that the "bad guy" is just an evil thing from hell and deserves to be killed at once. Do people ever even THINK about that person? What if they were mentally ill? What if they were drunk? What if they just couldn't help it? What if they were forced to do it? Did they have an unruly past? Is there really a reason they did that?

Honestly, I've never seen any of those questions mentioned in news reports.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I'm now really reluctant to go to college at any point now. When students are old enough to buy firearms, it makes it a much dangerous place. So that could even make highschools dangerous, if they're old enough that is. Not to mention I heard someone played dead, and it really worked... Strange to beleive anyone would do this, and the first way that this horror was reported was through e-mail not all too reliable, eh?

255 is the true devil's number.

typhlosion blaze wrote:
Wait, the guy who made this topic plays runescape? So 3rd grade.

From my "Stupid Insults" thread, where people tell eachother how people insulted them in a hilariously stupid manner, how ironic!

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Anyway, I hate how people automatically think that the "bad guy" is just an evil thing from hell and deserves to be killed at once. Do people ever even THINK about that person? What if they were mentally ill? What if they were drunk? What if they just couldn't help it? What if they were forced to do it? Did they have an unruly past? Is there really a reason they did that?
When I was eleven all I cared about was Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and rushing home to get on the computer before my older brother did.

Anyways.

That's exactly what I thought about Eric and Dylan... Which is why I'm hesitant to yell OFF WITH HIS HEAD! at the sight of any mass murderer... You brought up a good point; I never even thought of the possibility of someone blackmailing or threatening someone into doing something like that. They said they were considering terrorism as a motive...

I really don't know... I try in my mind, but come up with blanks.

Eric and Dylan (Columbine... I know I keep mentioning it, but shh) were bullied by the other kids at school. I know; hearing that makes it sound childish and stupid, but being verbally abused day after day is NOT fun. Everyone here should know that -- I mean, it's not like we're the "cool" kids... ... ... And if you are, gtfo kthx.

I'm really interested to see how the story develops and I'll actually keep my eye on the news for the next week or so, until evidence coming in is slow and the death toll is stable (it's still climbing, I believe).

Edit: Panic attack pending...
Panic attack APPROVED.

Great, now I've a stomach ache, I'm shaking and I'm nervous as hell, just from being reminded of this so late. How on earth am I going to be able to sleep tonight...

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:32 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm not going to get to sleep easy tonight either. Earlier while I reading about the whole thing, my dog opened my door (she knows how) and I was scared to death thinking she was a murderer and wouldn't look at her until I heard just sniffing.

And, the "cool kids" at school today, we had open seating, as always, and this one kid, he couldn't find a place to sit, and the only open table was the one with the cool kids on one side and Katelyn and I on the other. The cool kids just stared at him like "ugh, what an unpopular little nerd", and when he decided to finally sit down, he sat across from us, since we knew him a bit, and the cool kids just started laughing in Katelyn and I's general direction. =/

I don't think terrorism had anything to do with the massacre. It was but one guy, and plus, who would just go out to one random college and start killing people?

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It's unlikely... But I'm not going to rule it out. Maybe... If it WAS terrorists (which I still doubt but I'm not eliminating from my thoughts) they thought that if it appeared to be only one person, it'd look less like terrorism? I'm still amazed at how he reamined uncaptured for 2 hours...

Viriginia Tech... Viriginia Tech...

I know two kids from Virginia on another forum... I just pray they didn't go to that school.

I'll be a little paranoid for a while, too... My stomach's calmed down slightly, since I've been focusing on Science homework. Music theory now, so I must be off...

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:52 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hm, Xalia's right in a way. THe gunman must have had something seriously wrong with him to go and do all that. I doubt he just woke up in the morning and decided to go and kill a bunch of school-persons.

I don't feel any compassion for the murder as of yet, as, like JJ said, I can hardly judge because I don't know the full story, however, I do wonder what sort of mental state he must have been pushed to to go and do what he did.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:05 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It's terrifying to think that there are people who could really do such things. I could never understand how one person could take away someone else's life.

Pheoxis, that kid didn't know if he would be live in the next 5 minutes. All of us would be thinking of family. How could you be so...insensitive? Don't you care? What you said makes me really wonder how people could be like that.

It was not funny.

I've always been a little...nervous about things like this happening to me. It'll double now. >_>

I agree with what some of you say. This guy obviously has something wrong with him to do such a thing. I feel so sorry for all those kids, and they're parents. It's sad. Really sad. I don't want to sound stupid, but I have tears in my eyes just thinking about the many mothers that are mourning...probably as I type this.

It really makes you wonder what the world is coming too.

Last edited by Vulpine on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:21 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I don't know if anybody's brought this up, but according to my local news station the attack was pre-meditated, so apparently planning had been done prior to.

Well, it's two sides of a coin with the murderer. On one hand, he murdered (presumably) innocent people. On the other hand, he might had not wanted to but was forced, he might have been tormented by a student from the university, etc. There's a lot of factors, and I stand by my moral of not judging people until the facts are out. Either way, I do pity him.

Also, iirc, I think an updated version of the article said the administration had thought he left the campus after the dorm shooting. ...Well, he didn't. It goes to say that never drop your guard when something like that happens.

I've always wondered why some humans go to such great lengths to murder our own species...

-Gardevoir~

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:27 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The massacre had nothing to do with terrorism.

The gunman was a student, around 19 years old.

On one of my local radio stations, they were talking about the massacre, and they had a student from VT call in and tell them what it was like.
Quote:

"It sounded like really loud hammering."
"What did you and your instructor do after you realized they were gunshots?" (the kid was with his instructor)
"We just..."
"How far was the building from the one you and your instructor were in?"
"I don't know, maybe 200 feet?"
"Wow, 200 feet."
"Yeah, there was a lot of construction going on between that building and the one I was in before the shooting, so a lot of people just figured it was construction."
"Is your instructor safe?"
"Yeah."

Also, this on MSN:

Quote:
Alec Calhoun, a 20-year-old junior, said he was in a 9:05 a.m. mechanics class when he and classmates heard a thunderous sound from the classroom next door — “what sounded like an enormous hammer.”

Screams followed an instant later, and the banging continued. When students realized the sounds were gunshots, Calhoun said, he started flipping over desks for hiding places. Others dashed to the windows of the second-floor classroom, kicking out the screens and jumping from the ledge of Room 204, he said.

“I must’ve been the eighth or ninth person who jumped, and I think I was the last,” said Calhoun, of Waynesboro, Va. He landed in a bush and ran.

Calhoun said that the two students behind him were shot, but that he believed they survived. Just before he climbed out the window, Calhoun said, he turned to look at the professor, who had stayed behind, perhaps to block the door.

The instructor was killed, he said.

That's just sad. The professor was killed trying to keep the other kids safe.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I find it strange that stuff like this doesnt happen in Canada.

With no Capital Punishment and Luxurious prison's I really wonder why things like this don't happen here.

Oh well. It's DEFINATELY better the way it is here, and i feel for family members of those who died.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:21 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:

Please remove yourself from the gene pool immedietly.

This is horrid. I found out about it yesterday from this thread, but I didn't have the time to post. I feel sorry for the families of the dead and for the injured. What really pisses me off is how the guy could just walk in there and shoot everybody. During the break between the shootings, why weren't there any police to intervene?

I don't really feel much sympathy for the gunman, even if he was bullied of whatever. I know loads of people who've been through crap and aren't violent psychopaths. Why should he take it as some kind of excuse when he simply can't get a grip? Of course, it's a different matter completely if he's mentally ill.

I've not heard of any school shootings in England, but this still worries me.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

No where in Canada's laws does it say every man has the right to bear arms. I remember that being stated by the news reporter when I was watching what happened on TV. Bush said it wasn't the fault of that part of their laws, but the fact that a lot of people are carrying weapons illegally (like on school property). I'm not American, so correct me if I messed up on any of this.

If you want to see a movie comparing Canada's gun issues to America's, watch "Bowling for Columbine" which is a good movie, I don't care what you think. >.>

Back to the topic at hand...

I have to disagree with quite a few of you. I think it's safe to say I've been through a hell of a lot of crap in my fifteen years, and I'd be lying if I said I'd never had a psychotic thought of brutally murdering someone who put me through that. And I haven't had it THAT bad; I know it can get worse, and maybe the gunman was put through that. I mean... I can't say I've never even had the thought of ME doing something like this cross my mind... But that was before, and I assure you, I'm done thinking like that.

Some people just can't deal... I really need to know more about the situation.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:50 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Bush said it wasn't the fault of that part of their laws, but the fact that a lot of people are carrying weapons illegally (like on school property).

Proof that Bush is honestly either a complete asshat or so far right-wing that he makes the BNP look like communists. If you banned the ownership of guns, then you might still get a few people illegally owning weapons, but at least you'll cut down on this sort of thing.

If anyone can give me proof that there's ANY advantage to owning a gun, beyond 'respect', and have a neutral source to back them up, then I'll be a redneck for life.

JameJame wrote:
If you want to see a movie comparing Canada's gun issues to America's, watch "Bowling for Columbine" which is a good movie, I don't care what you think. >.>

Agreed. Micheal Moore might be a little brash sometimes, but he makes a good point.

JameJame wrote:
I have to disagree with quite a few of you. I think it's safe to say I've been through a hell of a lot of crap in my fifteen years, and I'd be lying if I said I'd never had a psychotic thought of brutally murdering someone who put me through that. And I haven't had it THAT bad; I know it can get worse, and maybe the gunman was put through that. I mean... I can't say I've never even had the thought of ME doing something like this cross my mind... But that was before, and I assure you, I'm done thinking like that.

That's still NO excuse. You've managed to deal with it, so why does he suddenly have to act all "I'm delicate and I'll go shoot someone because I took some bullying!". I'm not saying bullying is right; it's a disgusting attempt at moral superiority by insecure crack-heads, and I had to live with it myself for the first two years of secondary school. Still, some victims try and use it as an excuse to do **** like these shootings, and I can't hack that.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

JameJame wrote:

Agreed. Michael Moore might be a little brash sometimes, but he makes a good point.

And he's also a lifetime member of the NRA. I've seen Bowling for Columbine and I agree it is good. Although I cannot stand Michael Moore. He twists words to suit his own purpose.

Jack Thompson also found some way to get onto Fox News and is already unloading all the blame onto the gaming community. Video games are not to blame. As you know I am a Gamer. Do not blame us for your social problems. Man up and take responsibility. The lives of 33 people have been extinguished and that is unfortunate but don't blame video games for what a 23 year old loner did.

I also agree with JameJame. The only reason a lot of you hate the gunman is because he killed 33 people. Even the media. I bet you haven't even thought about what he was feeling. For all you know in his mind he had a damn good reason but alas... We will never know. I'll be expecting your flaming.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next