It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Thinkin on gettin a cell phone 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm thinkin on getting a cell phone but I don't know one to choose.
If you guys got any ideas.
Please tell.

Just remember it can't be too expensive. About 50 dollars is a good price range.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:09 pm
Illiterate
Illiterate

Do you really expect to get a good answer from people that live all over the world?, you are surely going to obtain 4 millions of opinions and you will end up just more confused. Ask someone who knows about cellphones.

In nomine....Diabulus et...Belial, Satan, Astharoth, Lucifer et Yahve.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well, get Verizon - best network in the nation.

As for the cell phone, get a camera-phone, with a few features. Its for communication only. Picture in emergency (you witness a murder, etc).

LGVX5200 came free with my phone. Got it online, for free with my plan.

Note: This was back in early December.

P.S. - The MP3 Player Cell phones have battery problems usually (yes, I look at the Verizon Chocolates for $100), if you use the mp3 part.

TXTing (without a good plan) runs up the bill alot. Isn't it better to just talk, as opposed to TXT?

Internet access - Wait until you get home. Please.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:04 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

That phone was officially the biggest piece of crap I ever owned, and I purposely snapped it in half, because it frustrated me for the last time. I received it for Christmas 2005, and it immediately started to malfunction but not enough to cause much concern. Later, it because so unbearable that not only did I have to trade it for a new one, but so did my brother, my mother, and my step-father who all had the same phone. Soon after Cingular sent me another, it began to have the same problems. There was nothing left to do but to grab both ends of the phone and snap it like a twig. It was one of the most satisfying moments of my life. Despite the fact that it cost me $250 to buy a new phone, because I wasn't signing up for a new plan, I would do it all over again if I had the choice.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:02 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Actually, Cingular (powered by AT&T) is the best network in the nation, with the fewest dropped calls. We are actually ending our 2 year plan with Verizon to get Cingular.

Anyways, I'm not sure what phone to get. Click here for a list of cingular camera phone.

EDIT: And btw, don't get Verizon (if you don't already have it). My brother wanted to change the phone he had on his line, and they were gonna charge him $20.00 to change it.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Smartphones are sweet. I've had mine for two years and it still outclasses everyone else's phones.

As for the network... um Quagular! Or.. Zodleschnitz! half of the the name you mentioned sound made up so I thought I'd join in. We BRITS are used to NORMAL names like Orange or British Telecoms.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

DO NOT GET A RAZR!!

That phone was officially the biggest piece of crap I ever owned, and I purposely snapped it in half, because it frustrated me for the last time. I received it for Christmas 2005, and it immediately started to malfunction but not enough to cause much concern. Later, it because so unbearable that not only did I have to trade it for a new one, but so did my brother, my mother, and my step-father who all had the same phone. Soon after Cingular sent me another, it began to have the same problems. There was nothing left to do but to grab both ends of the phone and snap it like a twig. It was one of the most satisfying moments of my life. Despite the fact that it cost me $250 to buy a new phone, because I wasn't signing up for a new plan, I would do it all over again if I had the choice.

Well I wouldn't say the Razor is a crappy phone, I've had mine for 2 years and I've yet to see anything wrong happen to it. Really you can get a razor and it won't malfunction you just have to take care of it. The only reason I'm getting rid of mine is because of the fact that I want a Chocolate phone, I would say get that but it's 100 bucks. I'm not saying DatVu is lying I'm just saying he probably got bad luck with his, everyone I know who has a razor has no problem with it except most want a newer version.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well despite the thing on the razr, I recently saw a phone (a motorola that looked like an iPod nano) that was only £40.00 (Not certain how many dollars that is..) and it had all the basic functions e.g. camera, large memory, bluetooth, infrared, large message capacity etc. It didn't look too bad to me. However, if your looking for a modern phone (what Iam about to say will most definately not be under 50dollars) I'd recommend you wait until apple release their latest creation 'iPhone'. It has a proper internet browser unlike the cheap ones on normal phones and the only button on the whole phone is the on and off switch; the rest is touch screen.

Cant wait until it comes out :D

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:50 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Actually, Cingular (powered by AT&T) is the best network in the nation, with the fewest dropped calls. We are actually ending our 2 year plan with Verizon to get Cingular.

Anyways, I'm not sure what phone to get. Click here for a list of cingular camera phone.

I agree with Mega_Horn. Cingular is a good network but whatever you do, don't get T-mobile. Its not very trustworthy. As for the phone, you should get a camera phone. I have a Samsung i607 Blackjack, it has a good keyboard if your into messaging, a pretty good camera, MP3 player(you could download from Napstar, XM radio mobile, up to 2GB expandable memory, and it is slick not like those big fat phones with the same features. Or, you could get Sony Ericson W300i it has a walkman music player, 20mb sony ericson memory, and up to 512mb expandable memory.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Verizon has the chepest, methinks. Theyve got the picture deal and they have the regular cell phone thing. You can text, but I dont.Ive never had a problem with mine and it seemed pretty cheap to my mom (who got it for me for my birthday.) If you sign up for the plan then its only 30 munnies. I dont know exactly what the name is, but it says samsung all over it. And I wouldnt get a phone with any bonus features, all you ever really eed thephone for is to talk. Like graham invented it for (It was him, right?) anyways, Ive said to much and now the aliens are killing me. DARN YOU LEGENDARY MODE![/cursing at Xbox]

If you need rescuing, PM me, I do it for free!

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

My brother wanted to change the phone he had on his line, and they were gonna charge him $20.00 to change it.

Usually after a certain period on your contract, you can trade in your phone for a new one free. I've never heard them charging a fee before then, but if they were going to give him a reduced price then I would say it's worth it (a big if though). Also, there's more than one contract, so it could just be a clause in it. I wouldn't rule out Verizon though simply due to one small fee.

rio_uk wrote:
As for the network... um Quagular! Or.. Zodleschnitz! half of the the name you mentioned sound made up so I thought I'd join in. We BRITS are used to NORMAL names like Orange or British Telecoms.

Sometimes when you talk, it's pretty irritating. It's called marketing; they are made up. Companies try to think of names people will remember without attempting to redefine words that present an image deeply entrenched in one's mind, like orange, which would never make me think of a phone company. Use something that's already used or too similar to another company's and someone will sue.

Latios wrote:
Well I wouldn't say the Razor is a crappy phone, I've had mine for 2 years and I've yet to see anything wrong happen to it.

I didn't necessarily mean they all are like that, but it's a little more than a coincidence to get 5 bad phones in a row. Plus, they don't have much in the way of functions. They don't really do anything.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:16 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Also, make sure that you look at the battery life - my sister's phone (RAZR - she hates it) dies in 2 hours :O Shes only had it since like the end of november 2006 (the monday after thanksgiving, to be more precise).

Also, make sure that it fits correctly - like the RAZR, it goes 180 degrees. My phone, goes at around 120 - 150 degrees between the ear and mouth (around the cheek). So, that, and make sure that you can work your keypad (my mom sent back he RAZR for like 10 reasons, one of them being that the keypad didn't function right). Make sure that the keypad buttons serve one purpose per thing (like, an example of what not to get: Press on the right side for 1 , left side for 3, up for 2, down for 5. Thats horrible). Also, some function with a touch-screen type thing. I prefer buttons, but whatever.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I've had Nokias, Panasonics, O2s and Sony Ericssons. I must say, Sony Ericsson phones are the best I've had. Not simple, not complex. I've had the k700i for almost 2.5 years now, and I've dropped it so many times, you'd think it'd be broken. But there are no faults and only one dent in the case.

I recommend Sony Ericsson, because of it's reasonable price, and long product life. They're becoming more popular by the day.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:21 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm not really into texting. Why read when you can talk. Just something in case of emergency. Iphone is totally out of the question. It's like 500 dollars. Network I guess I'll choose Cingular. You gotta love that orange guy. That and the Geiko gecko. Again, I'm not really looking for a smart phone. Internet is here on my laptop. I rarely ever leave house without it so.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:22 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

I have a Palm Treo 650 and I absolutly love my phone, but thats because its a (Palm) PDA/pocket pc first and a phone second. Surfing the web and sending text messages are easy because of the QWERTY keyboard. But then again most teenagers can't afford a smart phone.

Before that I've owned countless motorola's and my faith in them went down each year that i've bought a high-end phone and it disapointed me in the problems they had.

I also had many Nokia's and I love there phone's espicially mid-end phones could take abuse and keep on working the only quirk I have with Nokia phones is the menu's havent changed since 1997 which is both good and bad.

I had about 1 erricson (before they joined with sony) and 2 sony erricson and they make very good phones, and the T68i was probably the best phone I ever owned perfect size great feature set, good sound & voice quality.

Before anyone can really suggest a phone, you should first say what do you expect your phone to do for you and then work around that.

Like I said I have a palm treo 650 and im due to upgrade my phone I really dont want to upgrade becuase there nothing wrong with my phone other then a few nicks and scratches, but if I dont act soon I wont get my $100 discount, Im going to see if Im still elligable when the palm treo 750 comes out, the treo 700p is out now but i dont want to buy it and have an outdated phone in 2 months.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My mate got one, and he put it in his pocket.

5 minutes later, the touch screen had been touching his spare change and it deleted all his contacts.

Thats what he said, anyway.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Don't get a touch screen phone.

My mate got one, and he put it in his pocket.

5 minutes later, the touch screen had been touching his spare change and it deleted all his contacts.

Thats what he said, anyway.

BWWWHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA
Im sorry at your buddies misfortune but that there is funny. I dont know which phone your freind has but when I lost my phone at the amuesment park last year and was sent a replacement (same make and model) I just sync it with my computer and every was put back to the way I had it, contacts, to-do list, appointments to ringtones, profiles and pictures.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Don't worry darkkend, even i find that funny.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:31 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Lol I find that funny about the touch screen because your "mate" has the worst luck ever if he actually touch his pants to get rid of his contacts, unless their evil pants, then everything is working right!

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:06 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I have a Palm Treo 650 and I absolutly love my phone, but thats because its a (Palm) PDA/pocket pc first and a phone second. Surfing the web and sending text messages are easy because of the QWERTY keyboard. But then again most teenagers can't afford a smart phone.

Before that I've owned countless motorola's and my faith in them went down each year that i've bought a high-end phone and it disapointed me in the problems they had.

I also had many Nokia's and I love there phone's espicially mid-end phones could take abuse and keep on working the only quirk I have with Nokia phones is the menu's havent changed since 1997 which is both good and bad.

I had about 1 erricson (before they joined with sony) and 2 sony erricson and they make very good phones, and the T68i was probably the best phone I ever owned perfect size great feature set, good sound & voice quality.

Before anyone can really suggest a phone, you should first say what do you expect your phone to do for you and then work around that.

Like I said I have a palm treo 650 and im due to upgrade my phone I really dont want to upgrade becuase there nothing wrong with my phone other then a few nicks and scratches, but if I dont act soon I wont get my $100 discount, Im going to see if Im still elligable when the palm treo 750 comes out, the treo 700p is out now but i dont want to buy it and have an outdated phone in 2 months.

I've seen them - my father got one for free through a drug company promotion. The keyboard is barely 1 centimeter in length along the major axis (ellipses my friends).

Also, don't keep waiting - when the 750 comes out, you're going to waqnt to wait for the 800. Don't keep pushing off to tomorrow.

Also, Cellbllock, your friend should have gotten one of those faps (to prevent the screen from being touched). It prevents scratches, and prevents deletion.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:29 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Also, touch-screen technologies come in two types; pressure and pressure/heat. The DS is pressure-based, but your laptop's mouse pad is pressure/heat-based. If you want to prevent deletion of everything on your phone, perhaps you should get one that's pressure/heat-based so that random pocket items bumping it do not register.

EDIT: After reading the below post, I have this bit of insight to offer you. Get a phone that is a phone. A phone that tries to be your computer for you is a device that attempt to do 42 things poorly. Instead, get a phone that is just a phone; a phone that only does one thing and does it well.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Last edited by Jigglypuff on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

One of the worst phones ever. It does not use the leading online music srores Limewire or Itunes, it uses a stupid program no ones ever even heard of! It dies in like 5 hours, and the touch sensor gets REALLY annoying.

Instead, get the EnV. It might be a bit above your spending limits (325) but its one of the best phones out there. Email, Internet, a keyboard, the best picture quality verizon has to offer. Also, you get popular in school because of it. :wink:

This is my opinion, you others might disagree, but still, this phone ROCKS!

(This phone is with verizon, as is anything mentioned in this post.)

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:49 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I am thinking of getting a Nokia 3250.Any advice on it?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]