It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Gemma Rants Over Chronicles Vol. 1 (Contains Minor Spoilers) 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I suddenly felt motivated to review this particular DVD, hopefully in the right section. Prepare yourselves!

Okay, the first major irritant for me had to be the unexplained breaks in the final episode on the DVD, "A Family that Battles Together, Stays Together". As far as I could see, there was no reason to keep interrupting the flow of the episode by jamming the Pokemon logo inbetween the animation every five minutes.

And the dubbing... oh DON'T get me started on the dubbing. I can put up with the corny names, the annoying voices and even the obviousness dialogue such as "Use your confuse ray to confuse it!", but this just took the biscuit. They went and changed a character's gender! Now there was no reason for doing this; they can't say it was because he had long hair because James had long hair and they didn't turn him into a woman (well, except for that Beach episode but that was just a costume and still, it looked freaky o.0). Bashou wasn't even the right shape for a woman! I guess that's what I get for watching the Japanese versions; annoyed at the dubbers ^^;

A slightly less irritating dub alteration (though it did cause a bit of a plothole) was that in the Brock-orientated episode. They went and called the woman Brock's mother when in the Japanese version it was his stepmother, since in the first series Brock's dad had specifically stated his mother had died. Whoops. XD

But all in all, it was a pretty good DVD. I'd give it 7 out of 10. The menus and intro sequences were pretty thrown together but that's what I've really come to expect of these products by now, so no biggie.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:51 am
Profile YIM WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

The US fans don't have Pokemon Chronicles yet (apparently they're trying to decide whether to air the show on Kids WB or Cartoon Network; hopefully they choose CN, because Kids WB sucks), but from what I hear the UK fans haven't been overly excited over the show, especially the awful dubbed version of "Raikou, Legend of Thunder!" that randomly changed names ("Jimmy," "Marina," and "Vincent," were all in the dub with the names Yoshi, Dani and Jackson) and Bashou's gender.

Although on the subject of Brock's parents, the Chronicles episode was right in calling Lola Brock's biological mother. In the Japanese version of "Showdown at Pewter City," both Flint AND Lola leave the family and that's why Brock had to take care of his brothers and sisters. For whatever reason, the dub script kills Lola off and only has Flint leaving the family. 4Kids probably thought they could get away with the change, even though Brock's mother was very much alive in the Japanese series, but Lola appearing in the Housou episode screwed their plan up completely.

Question: Did the episode acknowledge Brock leaving Onix, Geodude and Crobat at home?

Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:29 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Yep, at least it maintained continuity that way. And also the changing of his outfit.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]