It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Useless/pointless moves. 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

CuteKirlia, that Flatter strategy was actually used with Swagger in Pokemon Stadium 2 in the Little Cup. I hated the team that used that with a passion, because as an eleven year old, winning battles like that was all luck, almost literally.

Electric Shake wrote:
all the weak and non-offensive moves.. >.>

You've never entered the competitive stage, have you?

Gimmicky moves are annoying. Things like Metronome and Assist, which have no real dependability and consistency. I'd also tend to agree with BarnOwl on the Sports moves.

I dislike the fact that there are good moves that are without good users, at least in the OU, which is my primary tier. Like Sticky Web, for example. Truthfully, I'm actually very excited about Sticky Web; it's a trap move that lowers the speed of all ground bound pokemon by one level upon entering battle. That is quite literally the dream that I've had for many of competitive pokemon that I've used, and it all but disables the utility of Scarves outside of Trick. So far, however, Ariados, Galvantula, Shuckle, and Smeargle are the only ones who are known to learn it. Right now, Smogon is looking at Galvantula and Smeargle as the primary users, and Smeargle, in my experience, just isn't made to last long in the OU. This could be Galvantula's niche, as it does have a decent speed and special attack, and if I'm right about Compoundeyes (I've never actually used the ability myself…), then Thunder gets all but perfect accuracy, but if it is only Galvantula who can use it, then it won't last. Not in the OU, where there will be a common counter for the electric spider before long.

If not for the Defog buff, in every tier, this would probably be pretty common in lower levels as well, but many of the pokemon who can learn Defog, even in Sinnoh, are the ones who get shunted down that low. I would really like to see this in use, but it could be dead before it hits the water.

Bah! I'm being too pessimistic. There's still hope that something will come up.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:22 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I've seen Assist used somewhat viably in 3v3 games. Namely giving it to Infernape or Contrary Spinda and the rest of the team having non-assist-able moves barring a Smeargle w/ V-Create.

Kiga wrote:
If not for the Defog buff, in every tier

I am so happy about this.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

MasonTheChef wrote:
I've seen Assist used somewhat viably in 3v3 games. Namely giving it to Infernape or Contrary Spinda and the rest of the team having non-assist-able moves barring a Smeargle w/ V-Create.

Kiga wrote:
If not for the Defog buff, in every tier

I am so happy about this.

Really? Assist? Huh. I never was good with the nvn battles, so I wouldn't really know…

Alright, so gimmicky moves that have no real dependability and consistency, like just Metronome, are annoying.

Defog has the potential to reduce the amount of teams that use traps now quite considerably now, doesn't it? It's kind of pointless to run it and traps, anyway, and it bypasses ghosts, so I wonder what will happen with it in the long run. It's looking good, though.

Have you ever though that Smokescreen should be upgraded to a trap move? Not that accuracy affecting moves are legal, but if the anime is anything to go by, it leaves a field wide haze. It would be easier to get rid of, though...

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:17 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lol field Smokescreen. The end of all life, and the rise of Special Lucario.
OK, I think that one really useless move implemented in the last game is Play Nice. There are so many attacks of that kind for low level Pokemon, why did they have to run another?

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

ChillBill wrote:
Lol field Smokescreen. The end of all life, and the rise of Special Lucario.
OK, I think that one really useless move implemented in the last game is Play Nice. There are so many attacks of that kind for low level Pokemon, why did they have to run another?

Copied from Bulbapedia
Play Nice lowers the target's Attack stat by one stage and is unaffected by modifications to the accuracy stat and evasion stat. It will hit the target even if it has used Protect, Detect, Spiky Shield, and King's Shield and lifts the effects of those moves for the remainder of the turn.

It also acts like feint, semi useful for double battles.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Oh, I see... Forget what I said then.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:08 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Okay, I WOULD say Sketch, but my cousin's Smeargle knows Roar of Time, Spacial Rend, Judgement, and Shadow Force because of Sketch. No joke. I'm dead serious. She kept on using a TM for Sketch. Now her Smeargle is Arceus in disguise...

So, Imma go with Splash, like all those other people who posted before me. GOD-D*** FISHERMEN NOT EVEN BOTHERING TO TEACH THEIR MAGIKARPS TACKLE OR FLAIL! ARGH!

XD Yup...

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:43 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

she probably used a move relearner. there's no tm for sketch.

Black Friend Code: used in trades gmt - 06:00 central time us
Chris 1935 9949 5758
3ds Friend code:
3695-0533-8271 this one has reached 100 friends if you want a safari from me use the 2nd friend code.
2nd 3ds friend code: 1821-9478-7101
Black2 Friend Code: Chris 0519 5118 7320

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:33 pm
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Oh! :frustrated:

Sorry, that's what I meant to say. She went to the move tutor for Smeargle... She didn't use a TM. :oops:

XD Yup...

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:08 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Imagine battling a Smeargle and it's pretending to be Dialga/Palkia/Giratina/Arceus and it uses those kinds of attacks. That would be one interesting battle!

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:19 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Except for the fact that Smeargle won't be able to kill a Dragon with Roar of Time.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

ChillBill wrote:
Except for the fact that Smeargle won't be able to kill a Dragon with Roar of Time.

Conceptually, no. But on a full out DBZ style clash of attacks, where everything is drawn out and dramatic…?

...Smeargle might still come out to be a teeny bit underwhelming… I'm seeing a kitten's mew compared to a lion's roar...

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:29 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Quote:

Unless Smeargle has a level advantage or the Dragon is something like Gible or Goomy

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:56 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

vaporterra wrote:
Unless Smeargle has a level advantage or the Dragon is something like Gible or Goomy

Do not insult His Goominess.
To get back on topic, how about Wild Charge? It's like a physical counterpart to T-Bolt, but it causes recoil instead of paralysis. A 90 power move with recoil? Same applies for Take Down.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:15 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It's an Electric physical attack options. It's used by a variety of Pokemon, mostly Electric physical attackers like Electivire who prefer the power advantage it has over Thunderpunch. So not really pointless, but it's definitely one of those moves that depending on the Pokemon you use and the people you fight, you might rarely encounter it.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Arekasune wrote:
Anything that lowers an opponents speed...

Technician Breloom using Rock Tomb says hi :3.

On topic? Gravity is pretty useless, but it causes Splash not to work so that's something.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

WarioMCP wrote:
Arekasune wrote:
On topic? Gravity is pretty useless, but it causes Splash not to work so that's something.

Gravity is seen somewhat rarely on Landorus, since it allows him to hit Skarmory for SE damage and about everything w/ STAB also Stone edge won't miss. Bronzong, Clefable and Dusknoir are popular gravity users for teams based around it but it's still kinda gimmick.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:37 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Oh no, I'm up against a Charizard/Moltres/Ho-oh. None of my (remaining) Pokemon know Rock, Electric, or Water type moves. Good thing I brought by Dusknoir to use Gravity so I can hit them with Earthquake afterwards. Thanks Gravity! (cheesy smile and thumbs up)

Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:13 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

:x :censored: :censored: Mud slap does almost nothing! :x

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Beiber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signiature.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:11 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Mud Slap can be useful if you know how to use it. It is a Sand-Attack with damage dealt. So you can use that move to lower Accuracy enough, as well as bring down some of your opponent's health. Granted, it has, what, 20 base power? But give it to a Ground type and give it Soft Sand so the move gets a boost. The only other serious problem I see with this move is the ten PP. That just isn't fair for a base 20 attack. Mud Slap could be used a lot more if it had more love.

Another suggestion: Memento. Why would you sacrifice a Pokémon JUST to lower two stats? That's terrible! :x

XD Yup...

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:09 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Thebluepik1 wrote:
Mud Slap can be useful if you know how to use it. It is a Sand-Attack with damage dealt. So you can use that move to lower Accuracy enough, as well as bring down some of your opponent's health. Granted, it has, what, 20 base power? But give it to a Ground type and give it Soft Sand so the move gets a boost. The only other serious problem I see with this move is the ten PP. That just isn't fair for a base 20 attack. Mud Slap could be used a lot more if it had more love.

Another suggestion: Memento. Why would you sacrifice a Pokémon JUST to lower two stats? That's terrible! :x

Memento, in-game... the only time that I can think to use it would be in Contests, or certain other niche situations. Competitively, it doesn't see much use either, but I do use it on my troll team. Here's an example:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battl ... -172139475

It helps me generate momentum. Either they switch out and I get a free turn, or, in a better scenario, they try to fight through it, and stay in with reduced accuracy and halved offenses.

Destiny Bond, Lunar Dance, and Healing Wish all call upon the self sacrifice of the user to function as well, as do Self Destruct and Explosion, just much more violently.

don't hate me...it was on my bucket list...

why didn't I think of mud slap?

Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:31 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Ummm... obviously splash is useless at this point.

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Beiber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signiature.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2