It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Pokémon-Amie 
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

So... I realized something odd about this whole Pokémon-Amie feature. It lets you feed and pet your 'mons to elicit cute reactions and boost friendship. All seems well and good in the trailer, but look at the examples they use: Pikachu, Snorlax, etc. Those guys are all actually cuddly. In contrast, would you really want to pet your trusty Muk? Or your Slugma?

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:45 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Maybe Slugma are like Ponyta, and they won't burn you if they choose not to.

Muk…maybe not so much. You certainly wouldn't want to have a scratch on your hand if you tried…

Maybe you get to wear some gloves when you try to pet the…less favorably designed pokemon?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:14 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Kiga wrote:
Muk…maybe not so much. You certainly wouldn't want to have a scratch on your hand if you tried…

Maybe you get to wear some gloves when you try to pet the…less favorably designed pokemon?

Idk I mean Muk is always on top of Prof. Oak and he seems fine. Pokemon aren't always the most consistant creatures haha

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:07 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I can get how you pet Pikachu. But what about humanoids? Jynx, Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Gallade... It would seem awkard to pet them. And honesty, I just can't imagine having my Gardevoir eat out of a pet bowl, like Pihachu can.

And you might want to be careful with your Shedinja. Try to look away from the hole in it's back. Oh, and make sure your Lampent doesn't eat your life energy. Or your Giraffarig's tail bite. Or... :frustrated:

Aside from these discouraging factors, this seems pretty cool. I want to pet my Luxray! <3

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711

Last edited by CuteKirlia on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:32 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

That's a good point…

Pokemon likes to make out that pokemon are fully sentient and intelligent creatures, far more so than real animals, but not enough so that they not all capable of a form a human speech and understanding. Yet, although I don't know fully what features Amie has, to me, it does seem to treat these 'intelligent' creatures as mere pets. Game Freak seems to be toeing a line here…

Meh…don't get me wrong, I prefer to think of most pokemon as more animalistic than human as was implied in the early days. Alakazam and Metagross may be 'smarter' than (or be, for that matter) a supercomputer, but when have they ever been shown to be fully intelligent by human standards? I mean, certainly, I can see some psychic types be truly capable of intelligence, but more ordinary pokemon? Snorlax? Muk? Countless more? Not so much. I'm more in favor of the theory that Meowth is the result of a Team Rocket experiment, much like Red's Eevee, than the idea that his given back story is true. I kind of see Amie as counter intuitive, now.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:57 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I can't wait to pet my Mewtwo... Who's a cutie-patootie? You are! Yes you are!

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:25 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It's hard to imagine petting Wailord or Kyogre. They'll taking you the whole screen...

I think my Gardivoir would take offense to the whole "petting" idea. Well, depending on which one. Lets take a head count. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8...
AH! STOP MOVING! I THINK I JUST COUNTED YOU TWICE DRIZZT!
...Nevermind that. Not enough co-operation.

But it would be so cute to pet my Roserade or Luxray! <3

ANYWAYS, you're going to pet your Mewtwo? And he's going to LET you? Wow, your legendaries must really like you. Mine would be all like, "I don't think so! I'm no Arcanine! Go catch a Kirlia or something and leave me be!"

...It occurs to me that I am a weirdo with no social life. Just and overactive imagination.

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:30 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

CuteKirlia wrote:
...It occurs to me that I am a weirdo with no social life. Just and overactive imagination.

…aren't we all? isn't that why we're here, and why we play da pokimanz…

Anyway! Childhood traumas aside, you bring up a good point about the larger pokemon, although I'm sure they'll do something to compensate.

Is it just me, or does it seem like it would be entirely too weird to pet the humanoid pokemon like Gardevoir and Mewtwo, given some of the more…eccentric corners of the fan base?

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:44 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Now that some of you have the actual game, and have seen what the Amie feature's like... TELL ME! I gotta say, I like spoilers, for books, games, whatever. Just so I can plan, and have fun planning.
What's it like with Gardevoir? Kiga, I'm willing to bet you know that, since you have a game and a Gardevoir on the game. So, do you know? Because I want to know. Very badly. Right now. Even though it will "spoil" it for me later on. But it doesn't really spoil it for me. I have talked too much in too short sentences just now.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:33 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

CuteKirlia wrote:
Now that some of you have the actual game, and have seen what the Amie feature's like... TELL ME! I gotta say, I like spoilers, for books, games, whatever. Just so I can plan, and have fun planning.
What's it like with Gardevoir? Kiga, I'm willing to bet you know that, since you have a game and a Gardevoir on the game. So, do you know? Because I want to know. Very badly. Right now. Even though it will "spoil" it for me later on. But it doesn't really spoil it for me. I have talked too much in too short sentences just now.

I like it much more than I thought I was going to if i'm being honest.

I thought it felt a bit "cute. A bit tamagotchi/Sims/Animal farm (and witht he graphics of X/Y I was very concerned the entire game would be a bit young for me).

But to be fair it is awesome. Same as the super training.
There are 3 mini-games that I have clocked up a serious amount of ours on so far. They win you puffins to feed your pokemon, raise their enjoyment and lowers their fullness.

When you feed them it raises their fullness and lowers their enjoyment.

When you pet them their affection grows, but you can only pet them 2 or 3 times before they stop responding. To "reset" it and allow you to carry on petting you have to play 2 mini-games. So its a cycle to get max affection.

Each mon seems to have a place it hates being touched (my Riolu fumes at me if I touch his right knee) and some pokemon hurt you for touching them (the flame on a tail or an electric mouses cheeks for example).
You are also able to talk to it, have it copy your movements (blink/tilt their head, smile etc).

The one thing that is a bit annoying though is that max affection is not max happiness. I became really good at Amie and have played with everything in it trying to get myself a Lucario, but it hasn't evolved. So I think affection is just another part of happiness - not the "all" of it.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:17 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

CuteKirlia wrote:

Well, Luna, and I'd assume other gardevoir like her, is pet-able, and she is submissive… When you pet the top of her head, she'll close her eyes and lean into the petting. You can pet from her head down the lengths of her arms, and she makes a somewhat cute chirping noise that is unlike her normal cry. When she likes the attention she receives, she'll do a short, one-armed bow, but when she doesn't, she'll flinch back and cross her arms over her chest. Apparently, it seems that the horns of hair under her, and not the pink horns, oddly, are sensitive enough that she doesn't like them being touched.

When she is being fed, she'll 'hold' the food with both hands to take large bites. She never gets too expressive, facially, though this could be because you can only see her from the front, and she tends to stay subdued and in control. She seemed happier and was more expressive as a kirlia. It's kind of as I thought before, they do take away from some of the 'human' aspects that they try to instill in pokemon, but the affection on her part could be due to the love she feels for you. It still feels odd to pet her, though. It's the same with Flair, my Delphox, honestly. But it is cute.

I did notice, back in the early game when I taught them all Return, that where others would make some sort of charging motion, she would backhand her opponents. It was rather amusing to watch.

Apparently, affection from Amie has some uses in battle. After a certain point, a happy pokemon will start receiving experience boosts, and will start developing the chance of self healing from status afflictions. I've not used Amie enough on a single pokemon to notice these effects, but I know that it involves a lot of petting.

I should warn you, CuteKirlia, as, even though this may be considered a spoiler, I don't think that you'd want to chance the possibility of missing out on catching a Ralts as early as possible, that Ralts can only be found on Route 4. I'm warning you because it took me a while to find one, and then a while longer female one after that, so it would be possible to miss it, if one were to rush through the route. I was actually looking for a for a white Flabebe at the time… Looking for her was actually quite reminiscent of Hoenn, only you just had to grind her one level, and not two, before she became viable for battle.

Edit: Curse you, poor Internet connection, for making me wait 'til morning. But yeah, forgot about the games. It pulls in three pokemon that you have with you, but will always include the one that you're playing with at the moment. You have a berry retrieval game, a puzzle, and I honestly haven't played the third game yet, because I've been content with the puzzle. You earn food for how well you score.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:40 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Thanks! I like spoilers, and the Amie has been tugging at the back of my mind, like so many things in Kalos. The Ralts-catching tip will come in very handy. :D

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:24 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

RE: the in-battle benefits of amie, I have come across the following so far:

Dodged an attack
Landed a critical hit
Shrugged off paralysis (I believe all status' can be overcome)
Gained boosted experience
Refused to faint (sort of like the Sturdy ability)

You know this is related to Amie because the text changes (Riolu is so in Sync with Mick that it landed a critical hit for example). Also a little pink heart floats above the head when Amie has had an effect

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:33 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Another thing I noticed is that, after a battle, you sometimes rub your pokemon's head. Adorable!

Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]