It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Chaining for Shinies(Pokéradar) 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

so if you continue the chain you can get more than one shiny from it?!?! I've been trying for tyrogue but my chains keep breaking for no apparent reason between 20-35....... so annoying.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:15 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
GofD wrote:
140 lickitung...... Wow, I tend to stop when I reach 40 and then just walk around till I find one... Which honeslty doesnt happen much, I swear my game has it out for me when it comes to shiny hunting.

I understand your frustration, I was chaining Tauros & got to 40(using the Radar Patches) & I stop to check for shinies & could not get 1 for a very long time & got frustrated & just said forget it & continued the chain until at some point between 41/52(?) where I finally got a shiny patch & I lit up like the 4th of July & captured it & afterwards, my chain just broke because I said that I wasn't going to keep trying to look for shiny patches for a pokemon that is giving me a bad time right now...I also tried chaining Hoothoot & when I got to 40, I did the same thing but didn't get it then either so I kept going each increase in the chain trying to look for a shiny patch again but couldn't ever do it & my chain broke at 45 & mental hell ensued afterwards obviously & I just gave up on it altogether...

Moral of My Experiences = When you get to 40, you literally have to have all the time in the world to find a shiny still or you might as well either purposely break your chain or just keep going to make a record of sorts cause most likely you won't find a shiny due to time issues...

getmScyther87 wrote:
so if you continue the chain you can get more than one shiny from it?!?! I've been trying for tyrogue but my chains keep breaking for no apparent reason between 20-35....... so annoying.

I will say this again, chains love to break for no apparent reason before you get to 40, especially in Platinum though I expect you aren't playing Platinum but my point still remains valid, just keep trying at different times & the game will let you in eventually, did 3 chains before I even got to 40 & once I did I got 3 shinies from it & a chain of around 60...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:32 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lawence Codye wrote:
GofD wrote:
140 lickitung...... Wow, I tend to stop when I reach 40 and then just walk around till I find one... Which honeslty doesnt happen much, I swear my game has it out for me when it comes to shiny hunting.

I understand your frustration, I was chaining Tauros & got to 40(using the Radar Patches) & I stop to check for shinies & could not get 1 for a very long time & got frustrated & just said forget it & continued the chain until at some point between 41/52(?) where I finally got a shiny patch & I lit up like the 4th of July & captured it & afterwards, my chain just broke because I said that I wasn't going to keep trying to look for shiny patches for a pokemon that is giving me a bad time right now...I also tried chaining Hoothoot & when I got to 40, I did the same thing but didn't get it then either so I kept going each increase in the chain trying to look for a shiny patch again but couldn't ever do it & my chain broke at 45 & mental hell ensued afterwards obviously & I just gave up on it altogether...

Moral of My Experiences = When you get to 40, you literally have to have all the time in the world to find a shiny still or you might as well either purposely break your chain or just keep going to make a record of sorts cause most likely you won't find a shiny due to time issues...

Good moral. You do have all the time in the world to find a shiny, youll just end up gettin frustraded and give up. I shou;d also meantion that I got a siny slakoth from a chain of three. No idea how I pulled that off.

getmScyther87 wrote:

I will say this again, chains love to break for no apparent reason before you get to 40, especially in Platinum though I expect you aren't playing Platinum but my point still remains valid, just keep trying at different times & the game will let you in eventually, did 3 chains before I even got to 40 & once I did I got 3 shinies from it & a chain of around 60...

Great, my platinum game does have it out for me....

I

Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:21 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Code:
[quote="Lawence Codye"][quote="GofD"]140 lickitung...... Wow, I tend to stop when I reach 40 and then just walk around till I find one... Which honeslty doesnt happen much, I swear my game has it out for me when it comes to shiny hunting.[/quote]

Moral of My Experiences = When you get to 40, you literally have to have all the time in the world to find a shiny still or you might as well either purposely break your chain or just keep going to make a record of sorts cause most likely you won't find a shiny due to time issues...[/quote]

Good moral.  You do have all the time in the world to find a shiny, youll just end up gettin frustraded and give up. I shou;d also meantion that I got a siny slakoth from a chain of three. No idea how I pulled that off.

[quote="Lawence Codye"][quote="getmScyther87"]so if you continue the chain you can get more than one shiny from it?!?! I've been trying for tyrogue but my chains keep breaking for no apparent reason between 20-35....... so annoying.[/quote]
I will say this again, chains love to break for no apparent reason before you get to 40, especially in Platinum though I expect you aren't playing Platinum but my point still remains valid, just keep trying at different times & the game will let you in eventually, did 3 chains before I even got to 40 & once I did I got 3 shinies from it & a chain of around 60...[/quote]

I

Copy Code & Paste in place of your previous post as it's how your post should look GofD, messed up on the quoting big time, just saying...

GofD wrote:
Good moral. You do have all the time in the world to find a shiny, you'll just end up gettin frustraded and give up. I should also meantion that I got a shiny slakoth from a chain of three. No idea how I pulled that off.

I got a Shiny {zubat} at only the 2nd Zubat of my chain but the chain ended at 5, 5!...best situation I got like this outside of Platinum was in Pearl when I got a Shiny {misdreavus} at only the 7th Misdreavus in the chain but afterwards the chain broke via the next patch I ran into, so I had to go at it again for more & got only 1 more at the 33th Misdreavus in the chain & then the chain broke at 34 so...Congrats on getting Slakoth early as Eterna Forest even though it has all that grass is hard to chain in compared to some other routes...

GofD wrote:

I

Not to make things worse but in Platinum, It took slightly more then twice as many chains to get 1 to got a shiny & it ended with a chain of 34 & a Shiny Chansey as the 30th Chansey in the chain, two chains later I finally breach 40 & get a whooping 4 shiny Roselia & a chain of 45(I actually decided that I was going to force myself to wait for the patch all day if I had to & this is the result)...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:52 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

That's absolutely nothing, while training phanpy i got to a chain of 40 rather soon bu then preceded to waste my life and 400 max repels without seeing a single freakin shiny... needless to say i broke the chain on purpose. In all honest that one event made me stop playing for about 2 weeks =S

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:11 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

yea its platinum.....i've tried a few more times and i always seem to make a stupid mistake. it seriously requires undivided attention. ill look away for a second and ruin it at thirty. im beginning to dislike tyrogue and think ill try my luck somewhere else

Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:27 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Ethereal Ice wrote:
That's absolutely nothing, while training phanpy i got to a chain of 40 rather soon bu then preceded to waste my life and 400 max repels without seeing a single freakin shiny... needless to say i broke the chain on purpose. In all honest that one event made me stop playing for about 2 weeks =S

That is fiercely frustrating, I am beaten clearly here...

getmScyther87 wrote:
yea its platinum.....i've tried a few more times and i always seem to make a stupid mistake. it seriously requires undivided attention. ill look away for a second and ruin it at thirty. im beginning to dislike tyrogue and think ill try my luck somewhere else

You should start with the easier to chain pokemon & then work your way up something like this;

Swarm Pokemon (We all know what these are, those pokemon that show up on a certain route on a random day & is the most common pokemon on that route until that day is over & then you have to wait until another random day to get that specific pokemon to appear again like {lickitung} & {slakoth} & are recommended to be chained in the Regular Patches...)

Regular/Common Pokemon (Any of the easier to encounter pokemon on the specific route, best chained in the Regular Patches but can be chain in any patch type like {bidoof} or {starly} on Route 201, etc...)

Rare Pokemon (Any pokemon that is the rarer of the pokemon on the specific route but doesn't require you to go into the Radar Patch or whatever the harder patches are called to chain them like {misdreavus} {murkrow} {dustox} or {beautifly} in Eterna Forest...)

Radar Pokemon (This is where {tyrogue} is if you are wondering as it only shows up when going into a Radar Patch or whatever the harder patches are actually called...)

I am finishing the story mode in my Diamond Version as I type this so that I can get back to chaining again...

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:19 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Lawrence Codye wrote:
I am finishing the story mode in my Diamond Version as I type this so that I can get back to chaining again...

Yeah finishing a game just to finish it is a pain in the backside =/
I was going to chain magnemite and was all set up but then i got commissioned for something so i'll have to get back to that later

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Ethereal Ice wrote:
I was going to chain magnemite and was all set up but then i got commissioned for something so i'll have to get back to that later

Well, I didn't want to finish it yet until I put it into another battle with my Pearl Version Trainer as they are rivals, then I was going to do it again...but decided that due to the fact that the soonest that I would be able to get another DS was when I got the 3DS(not to mention "if" I get it) & the fact that my current connection does not even allow me to use the basement floor of the Pokemon Center & the fact that I can't trade with another person to start my Platinum file over right now, that I was just better off just finishing both of them & in doing so learned all over again that catching Legendaries with great IVs is far more hellish then catching regular wild pokemon with great IVs...I just have to do Victory Road & beat the Elite 4 where they stand then after a small brief moment, I am free to chain & try to conquer the Battle Tower...

Don't want Pokemon Black & White to come around & be released in the US before I finish the games that I need to transfer pokemon over from as all of my attention will be on that game when it is released...

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:44 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Ethereal Ice wrote:
Lawrence Codye wrote:

I once bought Pearl pre-owned at a Gamestop, beat it, chained and caught misdreavus and glameow shinies, transferred them over, and returned it within the seven day return period for a full refund XD.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:56 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Kurushel wrote:
I once bought Pearl pre-owned at a Gamestop, beat it, chained and caught misdreavus and glameow shinies, transferred them over, and returned it within the seven day return period for a full refund XD.

That is so full of epic, really?...

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:39 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Kurushel wrote:

I feel like you are way to cool for any of us here

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:51 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

well i took lawence codye's advice and decided to chain swarm pokemon. first swarm for me was larvitar, and i got six shinies from a chain of 41. im willing to give you one if you want it, lawence, as a token of my gratitude...

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:48 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

getmScyther87 wrote:
well i took lawence codye's advice and decided to chain swarm pokemon. first swarm for me was larvitar, and i got six shinies from a chain of 41. im willing to give you one if you want it, lawence, as a token of my gratitude...

Glad I helped to that extent but on that offer, got to wait until I get a new connection first as the 1 I have now is weak as hell...

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:22 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yeah, that really happened, though, I'd say that puts me a little closer to the "fail" side of the meter than the "cool" side :p

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:15 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It's all about perspective mate, all about perspective

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:53 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

While reading this forum post I was chaining in the trophy garden and found a shiny patch on chain 2 of Azurill, definitely the earliest shiny I've gotten!

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

How do you get Pokeradar? I just can't figure out how to get it in the first place, and I really want to chain for a shiny boy Ralts.

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711

Last edited by CuteKirlia on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:30 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

CuteKirlia wrote:
How do you get Pokeradar? I just can't figure out how to get it in the first place, and I really want to chain for a shiny boy Ralts.

You need to talk to Professor Oak in Sandgem Town after seeing every pokemon in the Sinnoh regional pokedex, which, if you battle every trainer in the game through the Elite Four, amounts to the Unown, the pixie trio, Manaphy, and the opposing Time-Space deity after defeating the Elite Four. Manaphy and the deity can be learned about in-game, but it usually means that you have to fight the pixies before you can get it.

I use super repels and the step counter, but I've only found four shines with this method. Good luck with your Knight! =)

Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:09 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Thanks! This helps a lot.
Now I just have to get past five more gyms... and the Elite Four...
Ah, restarting was not as wonderful as I'd thought it'd be.

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:22 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I feel unsufferably pleased. While searching for shiny Buneary, I happened to accidently chain for Nincada. The second I catch the first Nincada, because I just felt like catching it, there's a shiny patch right next to me. WHOO-HOO! I never seem to catch anything cool intentionally. So, now I got a shiny Ninjask and Shedinja. :P

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:16 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

CuteKirlia wrote:
I feel unsufferably pleased. While searching for shiny Buneary, I happened to accidently chain for Nincada. The second I catch the first Nincada, because I just felt like catching it, there's a shiny patch right next to me. WHOO-HOO! I never seem to catch anything cool intentionally. So, now I got a shiny Ninjask and Shedinja. :P

Congratulations! Good for you. How are its statistics, are they any good? How goes the search for the bunny?

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I tried to chain for a Ponyta, but in Platinum, it's barely impossible to reach 40
It kept breaking at 16, couldn't go higher. The game hates me lol.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:56 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Kiga wrote:
Congratulations! Good for you. How are its statistics, are they any good? How goes the search for the bunny?

I haven't been able to check stats yet, but I think they're good. A great two-for-one deal, since Nincada evolve into both Shedinja and Ninjask, so now I have two shinys. YES! On the other hand, it's almost immpossible to chain as GhostPony said. I can't get a chain higher than seven for Buneary, and I'm not entirely sure why I keep breaking. Just have to perservere.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:31 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Do you go for the shiny grass? Not the grass that sparkles for shinies, but the normal shiny grass? That's the only grass that the radar pokemon, like the Nidorans or Hoppip and so on will appear in, so if you go with the non-shiny grass, you have less pokemon to affect your chances of a successful meeting.

Always go to the shaking spot that is four spaces away, unless it is on the edge of the patch, in another patch, next to something like a tree or a fence, or if it is horizontally or vertically next to another piece of shaking grass. It must be the same type of grass as what you started with. If you started with that shiny grass, your entire chain must be done in that shiny grass, unless you are extraordinarily lucky. If it's not, then reset. When in doubt, always reset. You'll be reseting more and more the higher you get, though that's more out of care than actual luck, I think.

Do not leave the grass, and do not travel so far that one of the shaking spots will leave the screen. The former, I don't really know what happens, but I keep that rule out of habit, but the latter will break your chain. Habits are good. You should get in the habit of not taking a step behind the position where the patches were reset. I've had several chains break because there was something there, and I wasn't paying enough attention. When you have to reset, walk back and forth between two spots on a known safe path, and try to reset as close to the center of the patch as possible.

Buy Super Repels, not Max Repels, by the hundreds. I remember once finding that they were more cost effective, and you can burn through a hundred or two pretty easily. Just buy as many as you can. Make good use of the step counter. Also, if you have a high level pokemon, teach it good attacks with high PP, or at least attacks with 40 PP total, that are strong enough to kill the pokemon that you're chaining with one hit every time. You can use the remaining PP as a counter.

Unless you want the experience or the record, I wouldn't bother saving at any point except at the beginning; shutting off breaks the chain. If you need to stop, just plug your DS in and close it, but don't turn it off. You should go ahead and get comfortable, it will take hours to reach Forty, but once you do, you can stop encountering. Forty is the most effect chain there will be for finding a shiny, and even then it can still take a lot of reseting to find a piece of sparkling grass. You can listen to music, but I wouldn't watch TV or anything more advanced than that. Chaining is a test of patience and focus, and is easy to mess up.

Also, research the pokemon that you're going to chain. Look for things like Roar, Whirlwind, Selfdestruct, Explosion, Perish Song. Things that can end the battle prematurely. I once built a 40 chain of Growlithe with my Vaporeon. I found a sparkling patch, walked into it, and found a yellow Growlithe. It roared me away, and my chain was broken. The moral is, know what that pokemon knows, and counter it. Soundproof for Roar and Perish Song, Damp for Selfdestruct and Explosion, Suction Cups for Whirlwind, and so on. If it has a recoil move, don't use False Swipe, and be careful whittling it down. If you're chaining an electric pokemon, you can faint a pokemon with Lightning Rod and put it out front, so it will attract Electric types. The same for Steel types and Metal Pull. If they have abilities like Static or Poison Point, use a Specially oriented pokemon. If you would like a specific nature, find or breed an Abra or a Ralts or something with that nature and Synchronize, and you can faint it and put it in the lead, and then hope for the best.

I don't know how much of this you already know, but this is just my advice from what I have learned of chaining. I've only built five 40+ chains, of Gastrodon, Snubull, Machop, Rhyhorn, and Growlithe. I got lucky with the Gastrodon, but I didn't know about the 40 rule until I chained Rhyhorn, and broke the Snubull and Machop chains in the fifties. I've found two Rhyhorn, Forty-One and Forty-Two, which I caught, and the aforementioned Growlithe. I'd probably have more experience, but I haven't had access to a Radar since I reset Platinum a while ago. The point is, Chaining is hard, probably one of the most difficult things in the games in my opinion, but it is not impossible if you know what you're doing and you learn from your mistakes. If you need visual references, like I did, Youtube is a great place to learn.

Also, I found my Ralts much like your Nincada. She was a Four-Chain =)

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next