It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Mega Evolutions 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Frost wrote:
With the newly revealed information, I am more accepting of the idea because they're not permanent evolutions and you have to sacrifice something (in this case your hold item) to trigger them. I just hope that they aren't ridiculously overpowered. However, the fact that they wasted Mega Mawile and Mega Absol's designs on this concept burns me because they have about as much different from the originals as Pidgeotto and Pidgeot, Lickitung and Lickilicky or any other number of highly similar evolutionary stages. :/

Fully prefer full evolutions. Temporary power upgrades is well in the digimon sphere and enough to make me consider swerving this generation for the first time.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:50 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I am both excited and pissed off at the same time. On one hand, epic new evos for Mawile and Absol. On the other, completely unnecessary ones for ****ING UBERS.

(copypasted from the talkbacks)

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:33 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hm...This now seems a little unfair to Mawile and Absol, since they do deserve a PERMANANT Evolution.

I do think more people will be accepting of this "Mega-Evo" idea as it isn't permanant. Also, since its triggered by an item, People have more of a choice if they wish to use them.

I now see this as a special type of "Alternate" Form than I do an Evolution. This also sorta takes it out of the "Digimon" rip off Category, for me at least.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:34 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

So this is an in-battle upgrade?

Digimon
Digital Monsters
Digimon are the Champions

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:26 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Digimon comparisons are so boring and dated. Pokemon has had evolution since 1996. Pokemon has had Pokemon that change into temporary forms and yes, even ones that change into temporary forms MID-BATTLE, since 2002. What exactly is new here that brings upon the umpteenth comparison to Digimon? Because it seems like the Mega Evolutions are making people on the Internet run around screaming "DIGIMON!!!" even more than how the newest Pokemon resemble Digimon for some esoteric reason.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:07 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

YEAAAAAAH, the Pokemon "Mega Evo's" are NOTHING like Digimon.

When you look at it, you see that the "Digimon" as it "evolves" it becomes completely different. With the Pokemon "mega Evo's" It remains pretty much the same Pokemon, with some stat increases and a new look. To me, this is more akin to Goku going Super-Saiin (again the spelling is probably wrong). They get an increase in power, and sorta look a little different, but in essence, they remain the same. Also, when the fighting is over Goku does return to normal, much like the Mega-Evos.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:11 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Flaming_Wuzzle wrote:
...okay I just looked at Megamawile's picture again and she does actually have two of the horn-mouths now. My apologies for not realizing that, please disregard the facepalming statue.

With that said, two horn-mouths wouldn't mean two "normal" heads.

It's fine ;)
For now, it seems she have one head with two mouth-things, which is not that bad, but still prefer original Mawile.

Any information if there is going to be more mega-evos?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:50 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Yes, Corocoro said that the October issue (due out mid-September) will reveal the type chart for Fairy, new Pokemon and more new Mega Evolutions.

Honestly, I kind of wish they just stuck with three-stage and "special" Pokemon like Legendaries, Lucario, Zoroark, etc. for the concept. It seems like such a waste that Mega Mawile and Mega Absol aren't real, regular evolutions because they have enough to differentiate them to be used as such. I can only imagine what Pokemon who could still evolve will get Mega Evolutions instead. Mega Farfetch'd? Mega Sableye? Just give the Megas to fan favorites or third stage Pokemon that would have desperately needed the power boost like Luxray or something. :/

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:36 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm more liking MegaEvolution as what is now as temporary in battle forms, as opposed to permanent evolutions. I mean I like joking about the MegaEvolutions making the series more like Digimon as much as the next fan, but honestly I could care less about it. Both take themes from one another so its a moot point to cry about it.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:46 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Now that the Mega thing is not permenant, I'm good with it. Still, they'd better leave my Gallade and Gardevior. They're just fine without being a Mega.

On a different note...
Frost wrote:
[color=orchid]Just give the Megas to fan favorites or third stage Pokemon that would have desperately needed the power boost like Luxray or something. :/

I NEED A MEGA STONE FOR MY LUXRAY. SHE'D BE EPIC. :o[/color]

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711

Last edited by CuteKirlia on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:38 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

As I expected, I knew you guys would be flipping tables over this. NO POKEMON IS RUINED IF YOU HATE AN OPTIONAL FORM! If you hate Lucario's Mega Form, just use Lucario the way it already is. And I'm not going to pretend I like every part of this either. Absol's and Mawile's should've just been evolutions and Blaziken didn't really need this. I like how this explains Mewtwo's alternate form and there might be more to that storyline, and Ampharos and Lucario, well it's alright to say the least.

There will be more Mega Evolutions. I doubt any Generation 6 Pokemon will get any because that would just add to the ridiculousness and it would be more food to the tireless piranhas in this fanbase. This could be an interesting and probably cool concept depending on who gets Mega Evolutions. Right now we've got all sides of the story, Pokemon who needed an improvement (Mawile), Pokemon who might find this boost useful (Absol and Ampharos), Pokemon who were definitely ok without this (Lucario), and Pokemon who already have ways to be powerful in their original forms (Mewtwo and Blaziken). Let's just sit back and hope that as more Mega Evolutions get revealed, Pokemon that get those forms are more towards Mawile and Absol's side of the spectrum.

In other news, the 3 new Pokemon introduced are cool, Mawile is now Steel/Fairy, and next month's issue of Coro Coro will give us the official complete type mechanics for Fairy. Let's not all lose our cool over something that isn't worth stressing over. These games are still going to rock.

*Update 8/10/2013*
Kangaskhan is given a Mega Evolution as well. See? Looks like they're making some good decisions with Mega Evolution distribution. Plus it's about time they made a nod to Kangaskhan's baby (i.e. Kangaskhan's ability, Parental Bond).

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:26 am
THE POWER IS ON!

I don't agree that Kangaskhan is a good choice at all, for the same exact reason I didn't like that they picked Mawile and Absol for Mega Evolutions. These Pokemon could have just evolved normally but now that they're getting Mega Evolutions it's pretty much like a sign that they'll never get a regular evolution in the future.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:08 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Frost wrote:
[color=orchid]I don't agree that Kangaskhan is a good choice at all, for the same exact reason I didn't like that they picked Mawile and Absol for Mega Evolutions. These Pokemon could have just evolved normally but now that they're getting Mega Evolutions it's pretty much like a sign that they'll never get a regular evolution in the future.

I supposed that's a valid point, but I personally feel that it's worse to give the boost to over-powered pokemon with Plenty of evolutions already, like Blaziken. I think we could use some single-evo pokemon getting Mega-evolutions, since they probably won't get any real ones anyway. For some reason, I think Stunfisk ought to get a Mega.[/color]

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Last edited by CuteKirlia on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:32 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Frost wrote:
I don't agree that Kangaskhan is a good choice at all, for the same exact reason I didn't like that they picked Mawile and Absol for Mega Evolutions. These Pokemon could have just evolved normally but now that they're getting Mega Evolutions it's pretty much like a sign that they'll never get a regular evolution in the future.

Although it is a little dissapointing in that aspect, an I would have prefered an actual Evo, I think that giving them a Mega-Evo is a fine middle road.

On the note of Mega Kangaskhan...Its nice to see the bady Out of the pouch....I have to say it doesnt look all that it doesnt really look all that interesting....I put this in the same category as "Mega- Mewtwo".

The ability is honestly the best thing about this Pokemon.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:39 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It's true Mawile, Absol, and Kangaskhan could've used evolutions, but we weren't asking for evolutions just to have another Pokemon to catch. We wanted evolutions so they could be more viable in battle. And if Mega Evolutions does that for Mawile, Absol, and Kangaskhan, then that's cool with me. Alternate Forms certainly made Rotom better even if they weren't evolutions.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

vaporterra wrote:
It's true Mawile, Absol, and Kangaskhan could've used evolutions, but we weren't asking for evolutions just to have another Pokemon to catch. We wanted evolutions so they could be more viable in battle. And if Mega Evolutions does that for Mawile, Absol, and Kangaskhan, then that's cool with me. Alternate Forms certainly made Rotom better even if they weren't evolutions.

This is true, and like I said, the Mega Evolution is a nice middle of the road. IM just wondering how this will effect the competitions and the game. The question is, will the stat boost/ Ability change from the.... "transformation" Be worth forgoing some of the Items Commonly used with these Pokemon that get "Mega Evolutions." Im also hopeing that they dont make the game too broken.

It will probably come down to the Pokemon Itself. Right now, I think Kangkaskan has the best "new" Ability out of Mega-Evo. Being able to attack, TWICE in one turn could really turn the tide around.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:10 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I think Kangaskhan is a great choice for Mega Evolution. Battling prowess aside, it looks like a fully developed, fully mature Pokemon that does not need to evolve further. It certainly looks more formidable than most 2nd stage Pokemon in a three stage family or most 1st stage Pokemon in a two stage family. (I guess I felt the same way about Rhydon but GameFreak gave it an evolution anyway....) All Kangaskhan needed was some more usability in battle and Mega Evolution achieves exactly this.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:43 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wasn't Kanghaskan supposed to protect its baby?
Sometimes Pokemon's logic is a bit off...

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:28 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

GhostPony750 wrote:
Wasn't Kanghaskan supposed to protect its baby?
Sometimes Pokemon's logic is a bit off...

The idea is, presumably, that the Kangaskanite (probable name of its Mega Stone) powers up the baby, rather than Kangaskhan itself. So the baby doesn't actually need to be protected, it can get out and help its mom with her attacks.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Mega Blaziken OH YEAH!!!!
Ahem. Now except, from that little outburst... no. As a competitive battler, I see it as an interesting, though rather annoying, twist. But as a game material... It WOULD be better if the only Pokemon who get Mega evos weren't Pokemon that desperately need perma evos, making Nintendo and GameFreak look like they're hiding behind their finger concerning the popular demands for some Pokemon to get evolutions.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Some of you guys keep complaining that those pokemon need actual evolutions, not Mega evolutions, but I think it might be better this way. After all, most of the complaints I hear about the Sinnoh generation, is that most of the new pokemon were added evolutions of the old pokemon (Plus the fact that the only fire-types were Ponyta). I'm not saying that that those pokemon shouldn't get real evolutions, just that if we gave real evolutions to all of them, we'd end up with another Sinnoh. I think the Megas are a good alternate solution to just that.
Though I do think that giving Mega to Blaziken and Lucario is a bit overkill. Also, Mewtwo didn't need it either, because Legendarys do not need evolutions of any kind, especially Mewtwo since it's practically and evolution in it's own right, being Mew's clone.

Last edited by CuteKirlia on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:16 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I personally think whats making people mad is the fact that Nintendo called these Alternate forms "Evolutions", and as such they see them as an evolution and get mad because they aren't permenant. These are litteraly a special Form that only comes in battle, Sorta like Castforms weather forms. If we can get away from that, and realize these are Alternate forms, and NOT an evolution.

On to what Chillbill was saying, From what I get from what he wrote, "Mega-Evoltions" are gonna see more use in the gameplay then actual competitions.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:13 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Quote:
There will be more Mega Evolutions. I doubt any Generation 6 Pokemon will get any because that would just add to the ridiculousness and it would be more food to the tireless piranhas in this fanbase.

inb4 every starter gets a mega form, and they each have an ability that makes it not need to rest from moves such as Hyper Beam.

Mega Blastoise used Hydro Cannon and you have no future.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:54 am
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I don't see why Gen 6 Pokemon should be barred from getting Mega Evolutions. Sure it would be strange if they introduced a Mawile-like Pokemon and gave that a Mega Evolution instead of a regular evolution but the Blaziken and Ampharos of this generation are equally good candidates for Mega Evolution.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:12 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Everyone is raging over mega evolutions, and I'm just sitting here looking for mega absol fan art.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next