It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What is/are the worst/most pointless R/B/Y Pokemon Move(s) 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

From my Generation 1 career, several opponents have used Roar and Whirlwind but it always failed so they are pretty useless/pointless but also any multi turn attack move that isn't binding or thrashing (I'm talking about Spike Cannon, Fury Swipes, Doubleslap, Fury Attack, etc.)

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:49 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

i started this tread a long long time ago and i think maybe a Mod deleted my original posts

anyway, in my original post i said the exact same thing about whirlwind and roar....people don't realize that in Gen1 they failed automatically in battle.

i also was harping on how i hate Thunder because of its 70% accuracy and how thunderbolt is a much better move anyway.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:24 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Quote:
i also was harping on how i hate Thunder because of its 70% accuracy and how thunderbolt is a much better move anyway.

Well it's just another matter of power vs. accuracy. Thunderbolt will always hit except for in obvious exceptions like your opponent is using Dig or your opponent used Smokescreen or something. Thunder has almost a 1 in 3 chance of missing but especially in Yellow when you're probably using Pikachu, that extra damage could make all the difference in the world. This debate got a lot more interesting with the introduction of Rain Dance the following generation.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:00 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

i completely understand the argument for thunder and i do realize that 70% accuracy is high, however for whatever reason i always feel like thunder misses for me and in turn costs me the game

95 power in my opinion is more then enough for the first gen. there is no need to take the chance on the 120 power move with lower accuracy when you have thunderbolt that is already extremely strong and has that crucial 100% hit rate...again just my opinion.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well if you manage to do enough training, the power difference between Thunder and Thunderbolt (or Fire Blast/Blizzard and Flamethrower/Ice Beam; any other applicable comparison) doesn't really matter. But if you find yourself a few levels lower than Lorelei's Lapras (for example), it definitely becomes a difficult decision.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:43 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Blizzard should be used over Ice Beam in almost every scenario in Generation I.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:02 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Completely agree about Blizzard

the 90% accuracy for that gen makes it the best 120 base power move in the game

i always used my extra PP Up's on my Starmie/Slowbro with Blizzard

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:05 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Unfortunately i never ran with any Fire pokemon in Gen 1, so i Don't have a lot of experience using Fire Blast or Flamethrower. A fire type Pokemon just wasn't really needed/ necessary in my opnion

i mean almost all the Grass Pokemon were also Poison types so you were much better off going with a Psychic type pokemon to deal with them and out of the 5 Ice pokemon in the game, 3 of them were Water making Fire useless against them.

Last edited by bobertleoroy on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:13 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

In Generation 1, the only Grass types that weren't also Poison types were Paras, Parasect, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, and Tangela. However only Exeggcute/Exeggutor are used by a significant trainer and they are also weak against Flying, Ice, and Bug (although there are no good Bug moves this generation o you'd likely use one of the other two types).

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:39 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

exactly

the only Grass pokemon worth while to use in Gen 1 is Exeggutor (i always use one on my team)

so why carry a fire pokemon to deal with the chance of your opponent having an Exeggutor? Especially considering, like you said, Exeggutor also has a weakness to Ice. Ice beam and Blizzard are 2 of the most common attacks used in competitive play.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:14 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Venusaur and Victreebel aren't that uncommon in competitive battles either. They both have STAB Razor Leaf, powders and in Victreebel's case, Wrap. Also, Exeggutor is one of the most common RBY Pokemon, so...

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:30 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

No surprise those 3 are the top Grass types as opposed to Vileplume, Tangela, and Parasect, in a metagame where Critical Hits and Psychic are your best friend and your worst nightmare. At least in future generations Vileplume and Tangela improve. As for Parasect, well it can use Spore at least :)

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:15 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Tangela would be amazing in RBY if it could do anything beyond Mega Drain; I pretty much stomped on Pokemon Stadium with Amnesia Tangela and it's surprisingly potent even with its best move having 40 BP. Vileplume is easy the worst of the six because it has... well, nothing. No awesome secondary type, no Spore, no Wrap, not even Razor Leaf.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:02 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Frost

i do see Venusaur in competitive play often...not so much Victreebel

and it is a good Pokemon...28th in Special and 57th in speed

however i just hate the fact its weak to Psychic and Ice...2 of the most commonly used attack moves.

when i do use Venusaur, i do have a move set that i have had some success with

-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Mega Drain
-Sleep Powder

and i do always love having a pokemon with Sleep Powder on my team...i just always run with Exeggutor instead

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:28 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Speaking of Wrap...gotta love the brokenness of it in Gen 1

most of the time i play competitively we set up an additional rule...sort of like the rule of you can only have one pokemon asleep at a time...in this case we are only allowed one Pokemon with Wrap or Fire Spin

i always run with my Dragonite

-Wrap
-Agility
-Substitute
-Toxic

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2