It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Fire Emblem 
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

stand back while I shamelessly C/P the OP of another FE thread made by a friend of mine off-site

~~~

Astra wrote:
Most people know about Fire Emblem from Super Smash Bros' Marth and Ike!

What is Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem can be best summed up as a turn and grid based role playing game (it's a lot like Pokemon Conquest) that takes place in a era with kings, queens, swords and magic. You're given a group of units. They have a name, a face, a unique arrangement of stats, some equipment, and a backstory for those of you who are like me and love character development. The object of the game is simple. You're given an objective (kill all the enemies, stay alive for a specific amount of turns, kill the level's boss, protect a castle throne for a specific number of turns or seize an enemy's castle throne). When you complete the objective, you win the level and move onto the next one. This process repeats. Each level starts off with some exposition about what's going on in terms of the plot, before the battle starts. After the battle, you get some more story and then you continue onwards to the next level. Games have been made up of anywhere from twenty-two to fifty levels in length. Upon getting to a new level, you may also be introduced to a new character or two who will fight for your cause. You usually start off with a main character who's story you're following (usually some kind of prince, but sometimes exceptions are made), and the game is all about their story. You watch them develop and grow up as you complete the game (whether it's about saving their kingdom from corrupt rulers or avenging family members). Characters are not expendable though. They have hit points, and when they run out of hit points, they are lost forever (baring a few work-arounds to this). Of course, this is just a small summary. Each of the games is different in its own way that makes it impossible to explain what goes on in each of them with one summary, but this is the raw core of it.

Oh cool, I wanna try this. How can I?
Well beyond emulation, you aren't going to be able to find these games very easily, since they are rather old now (and quite a few of them didn't make it to areas outside of Japan. That said, if you're a 3DS ambassador, you can download Fire Emblem 8: The Sacred Stones from the eShop using the Ambassador program. This game is generally regarded as the easiest in the series, making it a great way to get started. For most games, you'll need to visit second hand / pawn shops, or eBay to get a hand on them.

Well, except for one case. Fire Emblem's newest installment, Fire Emblem Awakening, has been released in North America on February 4th. Anyone at all interested in trying out this series should pick up the free download from the Nintendo 3DS eShop. It takes just over 1000 blocks of memory on your SD card for 30 uses of the two chapter demo. Try it out if you have a 3DS.

This all sounds kind of complicated. Help me out here!

Here is a twelve video playlist (that wasn't created by me) that goes over basic Fire Emblem mechanics. This series is pretty deep, and features a lot of different mechanics such as weapon effectiveness (the type of weapon you use affects the damage you do to the enemy, like types of Pokemon moves).

If you can't tell by now, it's obvious that I love this series. There has been some rocky parts in terms of getting publicity for it (lack of interest in the States and Europe is a major reason as to why not all the games have left Japan). I'm hoping that maybe I convinced a few of you to give this series a try.

I want to start by saying that, though I started Fire Emblem with its first North American release, Fire Emblem 7: The Blazing Blade (released in NA simply as "Fire Emblem"), and I kept playing even into The Sacred Stones, I fell out of it shortly thereafter, and Shadow Dragon (probably one of the worst of the series) did not help. Thankfully, I got back into Fire Emblem with Awakening, and I got back into it all because of my good friend Astra ^up there.

Since then, like most of the handheld-playing population, I have become hooked on it. It is a spectacular game, maybe even more so than the ones before. And if this just degrades into an Awakening topic, that's fine by me too. But the series as a whole is just great.

So, who else here plays Fire Emblem? Discuss!

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:55 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I played through Awakening twice, it's that good. There's a lot of content, and the fact that you can grind (as well as remove permadeath) makes the game far more manageable for beginners than, say, Path of Radiance. However, there's still plenty of challenge for series fanatics like myself. My team of 14 is hilariously strong, make sure you use Donnel to the fullest. Also, read up on how the children system works beforehand, passing on skills really helps.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:08 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I actually haven't picked up the children yet, except in alternate files to fill up all the supports for my character. I want to get the parents strong enough! On the plus side, I did marry off everybody else, so I can pick them up whenever I choose. Nah and I think Owain are good enough for me to pick up right now. ...No, wait. I lie. Lissa doesn't have Galeforce yet.

Right now I'm just reclassing everyone (still in my first playthrough) to get all the necessary skills. Then I'll go tackle all the DLC I haven't finished yet. Except for probably Apotheosis; that map is insane.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:05 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Do you think that I would be able to clear Apotheosis if all my mains have at least 2 stats maxed? Is it worth buying? Because the Future Past pack was way too easy for me postgame. Each of those bosses got pwned by a single character pair of mine.

BTW, I managed to recruit Priam. He's so OP. Beating him wasn't easy, I had to cram my army in the corner and spam two units with Rally Spectrum.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:35 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

There are 5 waves in Apotheosis, so I've heard. I've only seen the first one: it's got 5 Generals with 80 HP with 60+ in every stat, Silver Lances (the boss has a Spear), Vengeance, and other nasty stuff like Pavise and Aegis. There's also 2 War Monks standing on forts with Fortify staves, with Dragonskin and Renewal. Those also have 80 HP and about 50+ in every stat.

And that's just the first wave. Like I said, there's 5.

So if you really really REALLY want a challenge, go for it.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]