It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 17 types forever? NOPE WE GOT FAIRIES! 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Charphlokenapoar wrote:
I don't think I could handle any more types. I like to build my teams so that I have a Pokémon that is super effective against every type, and if more were added, that would just be a pain. I actually thought that Light was already a type (haven't been into Pokémon since just before the second generation started), but I guess I was mistaken.

I think that's why a new type or several new types would make things interesting, I mean Pokemon has become so calculated that it no longer feels like Pokemon and that to me proves it. Don't get me wrong I do the same thing by preparing a party that's super-effective to all, but at the same time just because I do it doesn't really make it ok, I'm just taking advantage of a flaw in the system. It has become more of science of what your opponent is using instead of what you are using. Which I think defeats the purpose of what the Pokemon fandom represents. A new type, some type changes for existing Pokemon, and a change to some of the resistance/weakness type match-ups would rock the meta-game of it's feet and people might just play with the species they like instead of the ones that are simply competitive or useful.

Mon May 06, 2013 10:13 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Type additions and modifications aren't going to change fundamental ways that competitive players choose to play Pokemon. Otherwise things like the physical/special movesplit and abilities would have been enough to do that, too. People would evaluate the new changes to the game and then after things stabilize continue using the biggest metagame whores available, if that's what they want to do, because what's they've done for every Generation. RBY was as calculated as any other; Psychics dominated, so people used other Psychics and Chansey, then a select few Normal-type Physical attackers and Golem/Rhydon were used to counter the more frail Psychics and Chansey. It's nothing new.

Mon May 06, 2013 12:48 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Frost wrote:
Type additions and modifications aren't going to change fundamental ways that competitive players choose to play Pokemon. Otherwise things like the physical/special movesplit and abilities would have been enough to do that, too. People would evaluate the new changes to the game and then after things stabilize continue using the biggest metagame whores available, if that's what they want to do, because what's they've done for every Generation. RBY was as calculated as any other; Psychics dominated, so people used other Psychics and Chansey, then a select few Normal-type Physical attackers and Golem/Rhydon were used to counter the more frail Psychics and Chansey. It's nothing new.

Yeah but the physical/special move split did change the game significantly, and yeah I agree with it and hope they keep it and yeah after a while it became calculated as well but I'm not so worried about the competitive players. They'll always find a way to make it obscene and make themselves able to do whatever it is they want, but as far as the recreational players that take the game as only a part of the package of the Manga series, or the anime, or anything of the like which make up the vast majority of the fans will be able to enjoy the game as well by being able to compete with their favorites against whoever and having a good time and continue being part of the experience and keep providing Nintendo and GameFreak with the money to continue making the product that we all love since if we continue losing fans of the series it's not gonna keep lasting. But fine. Let's assume that things stay the exact same way as they are now....then what. We'd just be stuck with the same thing that is being complained about in the first place and keep pushing the original players who got Pokemon to where it is now farther away. Yeah maybe they might not change the game with these changes but they're definitely not gonna change the game with no changes. I'm just trying to be open to the fact that change and improvement is always good. That's all

Mon May 06, 2013 2:19 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

MrDeadlyBootz wrote:
people might just play with the species they like

I have never actually done this yet, and I don't know why. I like fire Pokémon (don't know if you could tell), but I have never had more than one fire type on my team, just the starter. Crap, now I have to go back through and play with a fire-only team. I'm sure we'll get creamed, but I'm going to do it. I've... GOT TO, MISTER! Sorry, just watched Ace Ventura.

Mon May 06, 2013 3:11 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Charphlokenapoar wrote:
MrDeadlyBootz wrote:
people might just play with the species they like

I have never actually done this yet, and I don't know why. I like fire Pokémon (don't know if you could tell), but I have never had more than one fire type on my team, just the starter. Crap, now I have to go back through and play with a fire-only team. I'm sure we'll get creamed, but I'm going to do it. I've... GOT TO, MISTER! Sorry, just watched Ace Ventura.

Lol that movie has my funny bone on speed dial haha, but wouldn't it be awesome if you could play like that against the rest of the world through the games? Without having to worry about other people running through you? It'll be near impossible but that would be a hell of a good feeling. Like the trainer you always pictured yourself being if you were in the series

Mon May 06, 2013 3:26 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

So...

A source that spoke to Water Pokemon Master of Pokebeach back in February said that, among other things, there would be a new Fairy-type in XY that is strong against Dark, Dragon and Fighting, weak against Poison and Steel, resisted by Fire and Psychic, and has an immunity to Dragon. He also said the English names of Helioptile, Fletchling, Gogoat and Pancham and that there were would be an Electric-type version of Giga Drain, all of which turned out to be true.

Until the English names came out, I totally rolled my eyes at all of this, thought it was a hoax, and that even if it weren't, it was a completely stupid idea. After thinking about it today, the idea has actually grown on me a lot and I'd like to see it happen. At first it sounds like a really narrow idea, but faeries actually encompass a wide variety of creatures that go beyond the typical little cute thing with wings. As a concept, if you think about it, having a Fairy-type isn't too dissimilar from Bug, Ghost or Dragon as a Pokemon type.

The type match-ups were a problem for me because they seemed so nonsensical but mythologically, "cold iron" i.e. Steel in Pokemon terms is said to defeat faeries, and many of them live in natural environments, so that'd explain the Poison weakness. The rest seems to be centered around screwing over the current metagame -- or buffing Fire and Psychic -- but Dark and Steel had a little bit of that back going on in the day too. I still have a problem with the full-on Dragon immunity thought because it's a lazy way to nerf a type, as seen by Dark and Psychic back in the day, with Psychic never really recovering from it. Psychic and Fairy (or Light) also seem somewhat similar conceptually but I figure it's more like a Ghost vs. Dark scenario. Ghosts and darkness are similar but not totally analogous concepts just like how not all things with Psychic powers are fairies.

So now my main concerns are A) if Fairy will be strong against Ice as implied by Pokemon Smash but not the rumor source (which would be totally horrible because the last thing that Ice needs is more weaknesses), and B) how many Fairy-type Pokemon we'll be getting. I hope they don't halfass it and only give us like five Fairy-types out of 750ish Pokemon; if they go through with it, they should go full-on with the idea* and not shy away from changing the types of a bunch of existing Pokemon.

*Possible candidates to be changed into Fairy Pokemon (IMO): most Pokemon in the Fairy egg group, Misdreavus/Mismagius, maybe a few other Ghosts and/or Darks, Azelf, Uxie, Mesprit, Lilligant, Whimsicott, etc. According to the source, Sylveon is Fairy and Mawile will be changed to Steel/Fairy as well.

Thoughts?

Wed May 15, 2013 7:20 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hopelessly prays for Gastly line to become Ghost/Fairy.

Goodbye
"

Wed May 15, 2013 7:39 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I personally don't give two flying Pidgey about the Fairy type. I think they should have given Eevee some evolutions into types that already exist (I mean, a Dragon-type Eevee would be frickin' awesome) before going for a new type evolution. And that's my sole thought on the idea. I definitely think Azelf, Uxie, and Mesprit should be Fairies. Maybe Mew as well. So I guess that wasn't my sole thought... WHATEVER!

Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Would you have said that about Umbreon for being a new type back in GSC?

Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't know, I stopped being into Pokémon during the Orange Islands season of the anime, and got back into it last month. I just really want a Dragon Eevee. Drageon or something.

Wed May 15, 2013 11:05 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

For fairy type, I don't know...
It would be a lot of trouble to modify the type of most of the Pokemon.
But well, after reading Frost's wall of text, it might happen.

Fri May 17, 2013 1:18 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I think the Fairy typing is a welcome addition to the game. Something fresh and exciting and most of all like Frost said it makes sense ideologically, theoretically, and on a mythological scale. Not to mention as seekers thirsty for new things to improve the way we play I find it kind of counter productive to shy away from things as basic as a Pokemon type. If you really don't want change one can easily stay playing the game in which you didn't want changed and problem solved.

I feel like the idea of fairies has been in Pokemon mythology since day one, so having it as an official type seems logical and exciting.

Fri May 17, 2013 1:55 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Fairy type this, Fairy type that. No wonder this place isn't as full of life as it was like at the start of Generation V. They still aren't even halfway in the BW2 walkthrough (last time I checked).

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:54 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

vaporterra wrote:
Fairy type this, Fairy type that. No wonder this place isn't as full of life as it was like at the start of Generation V. They still aren't even halfway in the BW2 walkthrough (last time I checked).

Yeah, I agree with that. It's frustrating how under wraps this game is being it just better be that amazing haha. I mean it's fun with all the wild speculations and theories but still, it doesn't fit their usual pattern.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:33 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I still don't like the idea of a Fairy type. A Rayquaza's Outrage must hit everything :D. And I can only imagine the mess it's gonna be in the competitive scene... Fairies getting high usage due to their Dragon resistance, resulting in Sun and Rain teams (effectively Venusaur and Toxicroak) getting another boost, making the weather even more important, while Scizor and Ferrothorn will fly to Ubers... But that's me and my worries, I guess. Only time will tell. But I still don't like the new type.
As for old Pokemon, some will definitely have their type change, with the Fairy egg group being the most likely candidates. However, I don't think it will affect legendary Pokemon. I might be wrong on that, but I doubt it. Changing a legendary's type effectively messes up with its lore.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Fairy type confirmed!
Deal with it.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:42 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Gardevoir was a total surprise, and even Marill kinda was too, but I love it. Now they better freaking do this right and not give us like a dozen Fairy-types and call it a day. LOOK AT MY POST ABOVE IF YOU NEED TO, GAMEFREAK. DO IT. >:O!!!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:15 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Noooo... Gardevoir... sweetheart...
Ahem. Looks like WPM's source was hellishly reliable. Guess I'll have to live with it. At least now I won't have to give Gardevoir Missing Blast-er, I mean Focus Blast-to kill Dark-types.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I know you guys are all expecting me to go berserk because I was wrong about there not being any new types, but I actually accepted it. I'm not entirely glad about it just yet but I'm just gonna hope for as much positives to come out of this as possible and see what else ends up being a Fairy Pokemon. Right now the aspect of the Fairy type that I like most is the fact that Sylveon is a Fairy type because that matches it more than any of the other existing types. I like Pokemon too much to get too upset about another new type that we didn't need, but it could be fun. Who knows?

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

*sigh* Well, as against it as I was, I recently got to the point where I had accepted that the Fairy type rumors were going to be true. Although, come on, Gardevoir? I think that was kind of a mistake. Now Gallade is going to seem awkward, unless they make him a Fairy/Fighting. Ugh. I'm sure I'll grow to like it eventually however. It can't be that bad, and it'll give a new edge to competitive play. EDIT: Nevermind, it's Psychic/Fairy, not pure Fairy

On a side note, Vivillon and Noivern seem like the coolest Pokemon I've seen in a while. Boom Blast was a pretty epic move.

Who else here is going to be mimicking Pikachu's expressions for Pokemon-amie?

Alright, so with this new trailer out, I think I'm just about done with info about X and Y. I can rest easy now that the Fairy rumors have been confirmed. I'll see you all October 12th.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:50 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have to agree Gardevoir, was a total shock. Is it gonna make me want to use it, likely not. Question is, is it Psychic/Fairy or just fairy?

Gallade being Psychic/Fighting Doesnt really bother me or seem weird (Depending on how Gardevoir's typing goes that is).

Ive said this in another post, does anyone else think that the new dragon reminds them of Woobat and swoobat?

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:09 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

So... dragon wasn't underpowered enough?
Now fairies need to pwn them. (What's the logic here? o_O)

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Have you not been playing competitive battling? A lot of Dragon type Pokemon are big threats. The only fully evolved Dragon types that aren't too great are Altaria, Flygon, and Druddigon but even that trio is alright in the lower tiers.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:03 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Dragon is one of the most overpowered types right now and I don't know how anyone can think they're actually underpowered.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

>Dragon-types "underpowered"
No, more like regular powered now. At least until people start finding the stronger ones.
If there becomes a Fairy/Dragon into existence, it's gg from there on out.
Edit: "there becomes"
It's best you don't think about it too hard. Sorry guys.

Goodbye
"

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next