It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Experiencing a New Generation 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

A while back, I was browsing the interwebs when I saw a post on some site (might have been Memebase, I'm not completely sure), about how people react when information about a new generation of Pokemon games is being released. Everyone jumps at each new piece of info that's given out, and everything is looked over and analyzed for details. By the time the new games are finally released, people already know exactly what they're going to get, and have made their decisions on what they like and dislike by that point. It was exactly this way for me during the time leading up to the release of the Generation V games, and although I enjoyed them a lot, I didn't feel like I was experiencing anything new. I knew all about each of the new Pokemon, all the new characters, and the storyline. Heck, I even decided which Pokemon I was going to have in my party before the games were released!

So, after a lot of thinking, I have decided that I'm going to stop looking for new information about Pokemon X and Y and awaiting the news updates on the games. I'm going to try as hard as I can to keep the games as fresh and new and exciting as they were the first time I played a Pokemon game. I'm going to go into it knowing only the little we know right now about X and Y, although I will take a look at the final evolutions of the starters and await the verdict on the Fairy type rumors when those things are released.

I know that this may seem like a pretty hard thing to do, but I'm going to summon all the willpower I can muster to be patient and wait, because I know that I'll be, at the very least, twice as excited when November rolls around. Sure, there will be some things I'm bound to see on accident, but I'm hoping to keep as much of a surprise as I can.

What are all of your feelings on this? Am I doing this all for nothing? Does anyone else think that this is a good idea?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:09 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I personally, don't mind (now more so, since I had to use the funds I set aside for it to get a new laptop charger). I happily await to see what new things will be added, and hopefully waiting to hear the fairy type is just a rumor. Since the game is in 3D, I feel that no matter what I learn about it, it will still feel like a fresh new game. Ive actually felt that way about all the gens.

If you want to have everything a surprise then I say go for it.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:00 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

In my retrospect, I LOVE to get information about upcoming games that I would have interest in buying
I wouldent want to buy a game and end up not liking it, I would perfer to have some knowledge about the game

so that would include reading/watching about the game before I do ANYTHING about it
Even if that means watching a full playthough before I actually buy it

Now I know that would ruin the game experience, but I dont normally do that if it is a Prequel or Sequel to a game that I have playied beforehand
Or a game that has been recommended to me by one of my friends, or even a mag (I read GameInformer as often as possible)
Which is every month because thats when the issues come out

But other than that i'ed say if you're confident enough in a game/gaming company feel free to do so

In another example, If I bought the Xbox one before I knew anything about it, I would be VERY mad and return it immediately
Im just happy that I learned about the Xbox one before I got exited about it
(Moved on to PC gaming, Steam is my best friend now)

Black Friend Code --- 5158 2229 2547

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I remember anticipating the beginnings of Generations IV and V (the first 3 just kind of happened without me seeing them coming) but it didn't ruin the experience for me. It still felt fresh and even though I did know the Pokemon and the characters and the villainous teams and the Pokedex, there were still a lot of parts of DPPt, HGSS, BW, and BW2 I didn't see coming and that made it great! I think it helped that I only watched walkthroughs after I started playing the games. But whatever works for you is cool with me. We all have our different ways of enjoying the awesomeness that is Pokemon.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:09 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I think part of the problem is that Gamefreak couldn't keep anything a secret when it came to Generation V. They revealed or accidentally leaked like 60 Unova Pokemon before the games were even out. If BW were an even Generation, that would have been a much larger percentage of the overall total of new Pokemon, but at least they had more new Pokemon than ever so it was still kind of acceptable.

Otherwise I never have a problem with the games not feeling "new." That's because they aren't new. Every single main series game is basically an updated version of Red and Blue with new Pokemon. The new Pokemon make or break the game to me because I know regardless of the new Pokemon I'm going to be winning eight badges, fighting a Rival and an evil team, fighting the Elite Four, encountering vendor trash Pokemon like Zubat and Rattata every two steps, going through tedious dungeons... and the type chart is already burned into my memory forever as well.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:18 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

If your serious about this, then I have some advice:
Avoid the internet!
Or at least some of it.
Oh, and avoid anywhere that might say anything about this E3 conference coming up.
And most topics in the Kalos region.

I didn't anything about any of the Pokémon games I played when they came out, except Black 2 which does take away from the experience.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:36 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Personally, I don't feel like I'm losing anything. As Frost said, the basics of each game are the same. I never check the deeper details of the storyline, but seeing the Pokemon is what represents the value of your money. If the Pokemon suck, why would I play the same game in a different version again?

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I knew very little about BW before playing it since I somehow was not on the internet that much leading up to the release. Before playing it I felt excited because for the first time since Gen 2 I didn't know what to expect.

When I actually played through the game there weren't too many surprises though. It was basically things like "Oh, I wonder what new Pokemon will appear in this route?", "What type will the next gym leader be?", "Is Unfezant ever gonna stop sucking?", "Well I can kind of guess where the story is going but let's see where it's headed anyway." In other words, not that much more excitement was added knowing nothing about the games ahead of time. The problem was that I had essentially played the same game four times already.

Honestly, it's more exciting getting the new info as it comes and discussing/speculating with other fans than just saving it for yourself later.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Whether it's months before the release or the first day you play the games, you kind of go through the same train of thought mentally in reacting to the new games, especially the main series Pokemon games.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:01 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I remember the beginnings of Generations IV and V.

I was still young enough to not care about the physical-special split in IV, but I was eager to look for news. I also was eager for B/W news, but I also cared more about hidden mechanics, and discussed V's news online in various places. I was still quite excited when the games came out.

However, in both generations, the biggest disappointment was the Japanese release of the games. After the games were released in Japan, in both generations, all of the information possible about the games became available within a day. In Sinnoh, we got the full list of new evolutions/pre-evolutions; in Unova, we got the reveal of the first pure Flying-type and all of the plot details, among other things. Both of these things would have been surprising for me if the releases were synchronized. (I've also never cracked open a game and found a Pokemon that I didn't know about, since the whole list of them floated around the Internet for months before release in both cases.)

In Kalos, there's actually the opportunity to shock international audiences with the release. Perhaps there's a second new type hidden, or an overhaul of EVs, or some equally shocking change that won't be revealed until we play the games. And, unlike Generations 2-5, we won't know everything as soon as someone hacks the Japanese version, and instead, we'll gradually learn about the changes as we play.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:15 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I think that this will be the future of at least Pokemon. I mean for other Nintendo series like Mario and Kirby, each new set of games don't really change as drastically as their predecessors as they do for Pokemon (especially the main series) and they know that everyone is connected with wifi and internet and it doesn't take long for information to reach a global level of accessibility. Depending on how October goes, this might be the beginning of a new era of Pokemon video game releases with everyone getting it in the same time.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:20 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

The only info I got for Pokemon is from this site, and that has me quite excited.
I don't go to the more hardcore websites.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5153353/1/P ... of_Azeroth
This is what I call a true fanfiction! Sequel is now in progress! http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7172509/1/B ... _the_Flame
Disclaimer: I do not own them. I merely post it here so that I can share this with you.
http://pokefarm.org/_ext/PFZX5DZ~5Dr
Please hatch my eggs !

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:01 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Honestly if psypokes is the only place your looking for for your Generation 6 information, then there definitely will be a few surprises in store for you. No offense, I like this website, but the Black 2/White 2 walkthrough still isn't finished.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:10 am
THE POWER IS ON!

vaporterra wrote:
Honestly if psypokes is the only place your looking for for your Generation 6 information, then there definitely will be a few surprises in store for you.

Um? I've updated the main page promptly with every single confirmed XY release so far. :/

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:45 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Frost wrote:
vaporterra wrote:
Honestly if psypokes is the only place your looking for for your Generation 6 information, then there definitely will be a few surprises in store for you.

Um? I've updated the main page promptly with every single confirmed XY release so far. :/

Exactly why I go directly to the forums now. Frost has gotten stuff up almost immediately, so I try to avoid the homepage.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

With the worldwide release being simultaneous, and the amount of info limited as such, I'm going to do something I haven't since gen 3: an honest, traditional playthrough. You know, the kind where you simply explore the world, not knowing which Pokémon you'll come across, catching things on a whim, slowly building a team. All of my recent battle parties have been pre-planned in advance, so this should be a nice change of pace.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:37 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, it was a very long and painful ten months, but I must say, it was well worth the wait to avoid spoilers. I purchased Y a week ago, and I've already made it past the third gym, and I think the game is great so far. (although plot-wise, it is a bit lacking...)

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]