It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 no idea what to catch? 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

hi im just coming upto goldenrod city in SS , i have a croconaw level 27, and i still have no idea what to catch as 2nd pokemon, i seem to be going through th game so far pretty easily but isnt it a good idea to get a 2nd and maybe a 3rd + 4th. theres nothing round the area that i like

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Crobat, or fish a 'carp and grind till its a gyaradose
And I think you should be able to catch a growlith

Thoes are my three bro's I always go for if and when I restart a game

Black Friend Code --- 5158 2229 2547

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:25 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I recommend that you backtrack a little bit to Route 32 and catch a Mareep for you to train up (it may take awhile). Mareep is a great electric type for anyone to catch. You should also Headbutt (learn the move from the guy in Ilex Forest) a tree in Azalea Town (find one that gives Pokemon) until you find a Heracross. Heracross is an absolute beast for any team.

Just train both of these Pokemon up to a competent level and continue with the story. Heracross should be at least level 19 to learn Brick Break so that it can rip apart Whitney and almost anything else.

Sprite Collection

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ampharos is a good choice. You'll find a Mareep in route 32.
In route 34 you'll find Abra, but it's a little hard to train it.
You can also buy a Dratini in the Game Corner.

"

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:59 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

thank you for the replys. just to let yo know wat ive done since i posted this thread
i have 4 gym badges
my team now consists of
Feraligator
Magneton
Scyther
and now
Flareon - got a fire stone in the dome, didnt know what to choose btween flareon or ninetales so decided on flareon

2 spaces to go
but happy with my team atm

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:08 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Since you have 4 badges you can go to Union Cave and catch a Lapras. It appears at Fridays.
Also soon you'll be able to enter the Safari Zone.

"

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:47 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

started SS again getting a cyndaquil
got3 badges
my pokemon are
typhlosion
heracross.

wanted opinions on these

starmie/gyrados/vaporeon/lapras

jolteon/magneton

dragonite/tyranitar/lugia

1 slot left

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:32 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

sportsk123 wrote:

Starmie is fast and has a good S. Attack, but its HP is very low and its both Defense and S. Defense are also low so it may not stand so much in a battle. I never used one in my team so I don't know how can you use it.

Gyarados has very good Attack, with good HP and S. Defense. Its S. Attack is very low so I never focused on it.
You may want to teach it Earthquake. Dragon Dance is good too, so you can rise its high attack and make it faster.

Vaporeon has good HP, S. Attack and S. Defense, but the other stats are very low. Acid Armor helps with the low Defense. I also never used one.

Lapras is one of my favorites and I always use it. High HP, but low Speed; the other stats are good. There's a combo with Lapras with Raind Dance, Thunder and a water move. Rain Dance will power up the water move and Thunder will be with 100% Acc.

sportsk123 wrote:
jolteon/magneton

In HGSS you can't evolve Magneton, so I don't think it is a good choice, despite its resistances. Also, never used none in my team

sportsk123 wrote:

Dragonite and Tyranitar are very similar: both have the same Attack and S. Defense. Dragonite is faster and has more S. Attack; Tyranitar has more defense and HP. But the difference between both are minimal. Also, both have a weakness of 4x: Dragonite to Ice, and Tyranitar to Fighting

Tyranitar has Sand Stream to call a sandstorm, and since Gen IV, with Sandstorm the S. Defense of all Rock-type Pokémon will raise 50%.

You have a empty space, so use Lugia!

Hope all this help you.

"

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:39 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I suggest Gyarados from Water types. Its great attack and decent movepool help, not to mention that it doesn't need a stone to evolve. Go for Dragon Dance, Ice Fang, Earthquake (or, if you don't wanna use the TM, Thrash) and Waterfall/Aqua Tail.
Starmie is a fast Special Pokemon, but has two flaws. First, it needs an evolution stone, and second, many of its strong attacks, like Thunder(bolt) and Ice Beam are only learned via TM. Not as good as Gyarados.
Vaporeon has amazing HP and good Special Attack with mediocre speed and below average defense. Lapras is better defensively, but lacks in offense. Vaporeon also has a rather bad movepool. Lapras has a better one, but still some of its moves need the corresponding TM, which you might not want to use. And unfortunately, it's Ice, which takes away some of its defensive capability. Lapras has 4 weaknesses, 2 more than Vaporeon, while it doesn't have any extra resistances. And for me, Gyarados is better anyway.

For Electric type, Magneton is good on its own, but it's not great. Jolteon is definitely better. Its only flaws are it needing a Thunderstone and its bad movepool. From the two, I'd suggest Jolteon.

The last pick isn't hard. You've got Lugia? Then you should use it, unless you're playing without legendaries. And you can use either Dragonite or Tyranitar (I suggest Dragonite) instead of Jolteon or Magneton.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 am
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Quote:

jolteon/magneton

Starmie or Gyarados are both your best choices for this - Gyarados is considerably more bulky than Starmie, however, and can reach even more terrifying power with Dragon Dance. The difference is that Starmie is special and Gyarados is physical, so go off that. I've never used Lapras on an in-game team, but I have used Vaporeon and it's not worth it.

If you have a copy of D/P/Pt that you can trade to, go for Magnezone. It is far superior. I used it on my HGSS team (along with Machamp) and I regret nothing.

Dragonite or Tyranitar, eh? Well, Tyranitar comes along extremely late in the game, seeing as I don't think you can catch Larvitar until you get to Mt Silver, but I could be wrong - maybe they moved it to Safari Zone or something. If you don't mind Sand Stream eating away at your own health as well as your opponent's - or the really long wait - I'd go for Tyranitar, as it's a lot more versatile. Otherwise, go for Dragonite. It learns Fly too as a nice bonus.

(I'm completely ignoring Lugia due to the fact that it is a legendary.)

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

im actually starting again for the 20th time, i never know what to get cyndaquil or totodile. i do prefer totodile it learns more moves, its only weakness is electric as i use ice fang on the grass types. but its a physical type so surf isnt as good and it dont learn aqua tail/waterfall till later on in game.

normally if you train your starter to a high level you probably wont need a 2nd pokemon till further in the game.
use loads of cycling + day care centre for easy levels.

i dont use the master ball on lugia i normally use it on raikou or entei.

and then just pick your favourite pokemon and use them as your team.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:59 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Typhlosion... *vomits*
I hate it. Its movepool is Fire, Fire, Fire. Geez. The few extra stuff it can learn (like Focus Blast) aren't taught until later in the game.
I say grab a Totodile, make it Feraligatr, use Dragon Dance and Aqua Jet and you own.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

At the 3rd gym with my feraligator level 35
my plan smash every trainer in site.
2nd pokemon might not be for awhile.
im wooping arse why change it

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:21 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

sportsk123 wrote:
use loads of cycling + day care centre for easy levels.

this is not a good idea, cuz in the day care the pokemon doesn't get ev points, so your pokemon will be weaker.

"

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:42 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

4 gym badges with the team of

Feraligator
magneton
espeon
either scyther or heracross or both

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:10 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

update on my team
Feraligator level 47
Magneton level 47
Espeon level 47
Dratini level 15 (in traning)
Larvitar level 17 (in training)

then as my last pokemon either
Scyther
Heracross
Entei
or something else i have missed

plus i have 6 gym badges, im just training now

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Your team looks pretty balanced (the latest one)

I like to have each of my pokemon diverse enough in their move pool to hit any pokemon without their attack being resisted. One easy combo is a fire move with a dragon move. If you can do this with each pokemon you won't have to worry about your pokemon types as much (though diversity in typing is also important)

As for your final slot I'd choose Heracross or Scyther. Personally I'm a sucker for the Scyther, and give mine brick break, x-scissor, wing attack/aerial ace, and false swipe. Heracross is great with a similiar move set, and is more durable.

I don't care for the legendary dogs so much, but that's your choice.

Leveling tip: If you're alright with leaving your ds on all day/night charging this might be worth it.
put 2 pokemon in the day care, and then fly to Ecruteak City. Enter the gym and tape/weigh the up arrow down so you keep walking forward. you'll step off the path, and teleport back a few spaces, and it makes an infinite loop. Made for a handy way to level when I was forming a new team for the E4 with low level pokemon. you only get 1 xp per step, and you don't get any EV's this way, so it isn't the best method when you can play, and it adds HOURS to your game time, but it is better than nothing.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]