It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Sylveon 
THE POWER IS ON!

Now that we know the English name, I'm leaning toward Sylveon being a Flying-type. If it is, I'm actually kind of sad that they're seemingly only doing a single new Eeveelution for XY. Sylveon being solo would be understandable if she's Normal, since that doesn't really have any clear links with other types/elements, but if she's Flying... I kind of would have preferred if they paired her up with a more masculine Ground-type counterpart, which would link them to the XY theme and also give us Eeveelutions for all of the classical elements (i.e., earth, wind, fire and water).

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:28 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Always the chance they will announce more later too, though you would think if there was oging to be more than 1 eevee they would have said so. Ground would be a nice counter balance if this one ends up being Flying, released at the same time.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:53 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The french name is Nymphali.
I wrote "nymphe" on google, and surprise:
Highlight to view spoiler.
Nymphs are subordinate goddesses associated with the type present in many mythologies, including Greek mythology

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

vggamer wrote:
MasonTheChef wrote:
vggamer wrote:
Granted same argument goes with it has no ghost or dragon like appearances either.

It might just be me, but it seems Sylveon has much more pronounced fangs than any other eevolution, which is characteristic of dragons.

At first I has hoping for Fighting-type (The ribbons remind me of Meinshao.) But Dragon now seems most likely to me.

Fangs are pretty common in an animal of that nature, but I can see the logic of dragon, but at the same time then it could be ghost as well as a vampire like eevee.

Umm... Victini, Arbok, Seviper, Gastly, Thundurus, Landorus, and Tornadus all have fangs.

Goodbye
"

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:50 pm
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
Hey, I was surfing Pokememes in Cheezburger and I found a photo that has a clue on Sylveons type.

On Pokemon.com they have as well as Ninfias English name a 'guide' to Eeveelutions. Look closely and you will notice the arrangement of the Eeveelutions. One of the Eeveelutions is super effective against the Eeveelution opposite it. E.g. Umbreon is opposite Epseon, Dark is opposite Psychic. Flareon is opposite Glaceon, Fire is opposite Ice. Leafeon is opposite Vaporeon, Grass is opposite Water.

So look at where Jolteon is opposite Sylveon. This would mean one of them is super effective against the other, leaving 3 types. Ground, Water, Flying. Water is taken out because of there already being a Water Eeveelution.

That leaves just 2 types; Ground and Flying. With Sylveons appearance I am going to guess that it is a Flying type because of the ribbons suggesting Flying and the fact that it looks nothing like a Ground Type.

The French name is Nymphalia. NYMPHalia. Nymphs can be associated with many types of nature. Clouds count as nature, amirite? So, clouds float (fly). This also supports the whole theory of Sylveon being Flying.

I AM GOING TO ANNOUNCE THAT FLYING IS SYLVEONS TYPE.

Also I bet they will announce a Ground Eeveelution later on.

PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN

So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:00 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Samurott wrote:
vggamer wrote:
MasonTheChef wrote:
vggamer wrote:
Granted same argument goes with it has no ghost or dragon like appearances either.

It might just be me, but it seems Sylveon has much more pronounced fangs than any other eevolution, which is characteristic of dragons.

At first I has hoping for Fighting-type (The ribbons remind me of Meinshao.) But Dragon now seems most likely to me.

Fangs are pretty common in an animal of that nature, but I can see the logic of dragon, but at the same time then it could be ghost as well as a vampire like eevee.

Umm... Victini, Arbok, Seviper, Gastly, Thundurus, Landorus, and Tornadus all have fangs.

Yep, all evil, bloodsucking monsters of destruction. Sylveon is deffinitely Ghost type then as the vampire cat pokemon, haha.

Honestly I do think flying has the best argument out of everywhere I've seen the debate though. And it would be nice if they announce the ground type later, closer to launch.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

James86134 wrote:
The French name is Nymphalia. NYMPHalia. Nymphs can be associated with many types of nature. Clouds count as nature, amirite? So, clouds float (fly). This also supports the whole theory of Sylveon being Flying.

I posted this above, no one seems to notice... -.-

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:17 am
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
Well, I noticed. I was just fitting all of the stuff I believed into one big post.

PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN

So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:44 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

GhostPony750 wrote:
James86134 wrote:

I posted this above, no one seems to notice... -.-

DragoBoy wrote:
I've been reading other theories on the internet, and many people are going with Ninf = Nymph (some say Nin = ninja). Makes sense to me. Many of them think this means that Ninfia is a bug type (as grass is taken) It doesn't look like a bug to me. They're assuming that all nymphs live in forests, which isn't true.
I think that it's a reference to egg groups. Nymphs are akin to fairies. Most of the Pokémon that are only in the fairy egg group are normal types.

I posted the Nymph theory on page 1
DragoBoy wrote:
I think that it's pretty safe to say that a fairy theme was used for Sylveon. Its French name is Nymphali , so there's more proof.

Then this on page 2
Just sayin'.

What James said above about the eeveelutions is about this:
Quote:
Take a closer look at the different Pokémon which can evolve from Eevee, including the newly discovered Sylveon!

Before James pointed out the super-effective opposites, all I could find was that so far all eeveelutions have special types.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:42 pm
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

What James said above about the eeveelutions is about this:

Take a closer look at the different Pokémon which can evolve from Eevee, including the newly discovered Sylveon!

Yep, this is the picture I mean. Now Reread my earlier post and come back to it.

The fact that those are all special types is actually interesting. Because if they do continue it as a pattern (not for too much longer) Sylveon will be another Special types. I don't know the special types but I think Flying is one of them.

Then again Game Freak could throw a curveball and make it Steel. Sylveon=Silver+eon. Steel tends to be silver.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:15 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Clearly it's Poison type, that maniacal look in it's eyes....

So flying if you start at the 12 position, ground if you start with the 1 position. Still seems flying is the most likely.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:17 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'll go with the opposite types. And forget about the special types argument. There are no physical and special types since Gen IV. All types are mixed, and so are the Eeveelution stats.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

That's pretty much the biggest dent to the "Sylveon being a Dragon type" rumors, the fact that ever since the physical/special split of Generation IV pretty much put an end to the division of the 17 types of being 8 special and 9 physical. However, the older players that played these games prior to Generation IV, myself included, still remember which types were which and in some cases still see them that way, regardless of the fact that Fire Punch is now Physical. I still think that Flying, Dragon, and Normal are the main candidates for Sylveon's type.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:55 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

James86134 wrote:
Yep, this is the picture I mean. Now Reread my earlier post and come back to it.

I did say: "Before James pointed out the super-effective opposites...".
What you said makes perfect sense to me.
James86134 wrote:
The fact that those are all special types is actually interesting. Because if they do continue it as a pattern (not for too much longer) Sylveon will be another Special types. I don't know the special types but I think Flying is one of them.

Flying was physical. Dragon is the only special type left. Sylveon doesn't look much like a dragon, imo, and that's why I suspected that there was probably something else there, which you pointed out.
ChillBill wrote:
And forget about the special types argument. There are no physical and special types since Gen IV.

Gen IV removed the physical/special types split, but both of the eeveelutions introduced in that gen had special types.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:22 pm
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

DragoBoy wrote:
James86134 wrote:

I did say: "Before James pointed out the super-effective opposites...".
What you said makes perfect sense to me.

When I said to Reread it, it wasn't directly pointed at you. It was for people who didn't exactly understand what I said before.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:35 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm an old player myself, just wanted to point out that you can't judge based on physical/special.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:34 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I was hoping they were going to finally make a Fighting type Eeveelution too.

I read through all of these and thought "How are they going to allow an Eevee evolve into a strict Flying type?" Of course the answer to that was: Character standing at a cliff and you click 'A'. "Would you like to toss Eevee off the cliff to hope it evolves into Sylveon?" Select 'Yes'. *Eevee faints and runs away* "Too bad. It looks like your Eevee wasn't smart enough to fly."

Don't get me wrong I'm all for a Flying type cute dog thing, but I don't really see the logic on how to evolve it.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

^PETA: That isn't right, man.
GF/Nintendo: I DON'T GIVE A S***!

Goodbye
"

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:19 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

ChillBill wrote:
I'm an old player myself, just wanted to point out that you can't judge based on physical/special.

Why not? It's a bit coincidental that their all special types, including the two after the split.
That said, I still think Flying type, and even normal type, is more likely than Dragon type.

In relation to the video, all the moves Sylveon uses appear to be special moves (after the split):
-Focus blast
-Trump card
-(I'm not sure. Possibly a 2-turn attack)
-Swift

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:06 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Still always a chance at being a new type as well.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:36 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Let's just nip this in the bud: There's not going to be a new type. Remember, we had a whole thread about this titled "17 types forever?". There's always that blue moon chance I could be wrong, but there's no reason to come up with a new type at this point in the series. Ok moving on.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:28 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

That was a thread based on 17 types, need to change, and if they will make more.

This is on Sylveon's type. I'm merely pointing out the opinion that though she has some features that we can debate over with current types, she also contains a possibility that a new type could be announced through a new Eevee due to the very non-distinct design she contains. I'm not trying to say it is a new type or what it is, just that she could be the harbinger of a new type.

I'm curious how they will make her evolve, since each one usually runs off the new evolution gimmick. Though we still don't have an eeveelution that has to be traded to evolve, but I really hope they don't go that route, would lessen them in my mind a bit. Been nice that you could evolve them all without needing a second copy so far.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:21 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

i would have said either ghost, flying or steel

http://pokemon.hunngry.com/forum.php - new forum please check it out as we need more members :)

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:58 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Another thing about the Dragon type theory I can't get that out of my mind:
This is to do with what James said about super-effectives on the chart. The eeveelutions also resist their opposites:
(Electric resists Flying)
Fire resists Ice
Dark is immune to Psychic
Grass resists Water
(Dragon resists Electric)
Depending on where you start Jolteon may resist Sylveon, or vice versa.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 am
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I apologize if I say something that someone has already said, but there are three possibilities for Sylveon's type in my mind:
1) Flying. Suggested by sylph (air elemental spirit) in the English name. If nothing else before it did, Sky Forme Shaymin already set a precedent for Flying-type Pokemon not necessarily needing wings as they are closer to embodiments of wind/air/the sky rather than an analogue of a flying creature like birds.
2) A new Fairy-type. Suggested by both sylph and nymph from the Japanese name. This seems a bit more likely by the fact that both sylph and nymph refer to fairy-like creatures, while only one of those (sylph) is specifically associated with air/wind.
3) Normal. Outside shot of this, but given the ambiguity of its design, there's a chance it's going to be Normal. Also worth noting that the color pink has tended to be associated with Normal-types.

Also might as well take a stab at evolution methods. My best guess would involve leveling up or being traded while holding an item, maybe a bow which would meld with Eevee when it evolves. There's also leveling in a particular area, even though Leafeon and Glaceon already do that and I doubt GF would repeat methods. I also think there's a chance Sylveon could be female-only; both sylphs and nymphs are female.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next