It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 am

Forum rules

ALL GLORY TO THE FLOATING CLEFFA

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Why is it Cool to Like or Dislike Pikachu? 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

So throughout almost five months that I've been a proud member of this site, I've seen Pika being hated and barely loved. So, why? That's all I ask.

Goodbye
"

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:09 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Its an over rated yellow rat, thats OP in the anime and iffy in the games. DEATH TO THE YELLOW RAT! {pikachu}

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Because it's the face of the franchise and haters are jealous that it gets attention over their favorites who wouldn't be as successful a mascot. Real talk.

What really gets me is when people call Pikachu "overrated." Maybe among six year old kids, but not to anybody who is older or goes online. Because are people missing the widespread hatred for Pikachu across the Internet, or...?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:01 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Not me, I love Pikachu. Not as much as Snorlax, though.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Dont get me wrong, I like Pikachu in the games. I dont like how its portray it in the anime. Its cute, in my perspective. Then again, I also think Paras was cute in RBY.

Goodbye
"

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:38 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Frost got it. Kinda reminds me how Mario fans tend to be--they all believe Luigi is underrated and ignored, somehow, and ditch Mario wherever possible to play as him in order to be "unique." Y'know, ignoring probably more than half of the fandom does that.

I like Pikachu well enough, outside the main games; one of the few characters I can use reliably in both Melee and Brawl and one of my best SSBB characters of all. I also usually go with Pikachu in the Mystery Dungeon games. With only one weakness, Thunder Wave to make enemies sit back and let me pummel 'em (even bosses), he's a reliable pick. In Time/Darkness/Sky, Discharge targets every enemy Pokémon in the room and deals damage that's nothing to sneeze at either. Monster Houses become a joke. The main drawback is Lightningrod, which stops you from using electric attacks if a single enemy with it is anywhere on the dungeon floor. Which will turn one dungeon or two into HELL!!

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Also, to people who bag on Pikachu because of the anime, he has lost a ton of battles over the years, so to say he's overpowered when Ash's Charizard exists in the same series is pretty ridiculous. Because Charizard has lost maybe three battles ever and is always the deus ex machina the writers have Ash pull out of his ass when faced with an insurmountable task, like Blaine's Magmar, who by the way mopped the floor with Pikachu; Noland's ARTICUNO who, as a legendary, is a BIG DEAL in the anime; and Gary's BLASTOISE, who has the type advantage and is Gary's STARTER.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:35 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

To people who acknowledge the anime: What for?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:50 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

What did the anime ever do to you?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:52 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Frost wrote:
What really gets me is when people call Pikachu "overrated." Maybe among six year old kids [...]

This is why Pikachu is my least favorite. I'm very well aware that most people on the Internet dislike Pikachu, but it's the little children who annoy me. This reason is also why I immensely dislike Umbreon: to most people under 12 Pikachu is loved too much, and to most people over 12 Umbreon is loved too much.

'course, that's just me. I'm free to like or dislike whichever Pokemon I choose.

Sparrow wrote:

It crushed what was left of my childhood.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Do you hang out with small children often, Bass?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:45 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Sparrow wrote:
Do you hang out with small children often, Bass?

I go to a TCG league virtually every Saturday, and a handful of the people who go there are 10 and under, so yeah.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:34 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Amongst younger people aren't Pokemon like Gardevoir, Blaziken, Garchomp, Sceptile, Infernape, and Gallade more popular? Pikachu was probably at his peak in my generation (which by the way, is out of college now) and even then it seemed like nobody cared much for him except little girls.

On the internet Pikachu is totally hated on by EVERYONE, I don't think I've run into anyone who has admitted Pikachu is his favorite Pokemon, not for a LONG time anyway.

Pikachu and Raichu have been two of my long time favorite Pokemon. When I first got started on Pokemon I only knew a handful of them and Pikachu was an obvious choice out of Ekans, Geodude, Machop, Machoke, Growlithe, and Farfetch'd. Once I got acquainted with Pokemon a little more Farfetch'd became my favorite, then I moved on to Bulbasaur, Jolteon, Dragonite, and Snorlax. Farfetch'd was my first Pokemon card and I couldn't wait for the day until I got to play Pokemon Yellow and catch one for myself. I didn't have internet then so no guides meant missing out on the little ducky. Probably for the better though. :P

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Sparrow wrote:

I blame it for Pokémon's general reputation. I bet Yu-Gi-Oh TCG players know what I mean.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I don't think it's the anime that gives Yu-Gi-Oh a bad reputation.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:45 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Three questions:
1.) Since when does Yu-Gi-Oh have a bad rep? I still play it, and the anime wasnt that bad.
2.) How did we get from talking about Pikachu to talking about Yu-Gi-Oh?
3.) Will you guys get back on topic?

Goodbye
"

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:05 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Scroll up and see one post lead to another, questions and answers.

A conversation is like a living thing. It's not gonna stay as the disgusting horrible slimy larva you created for very long. Best let it fly where it wants on its amazing technicolor dream-wings. But if you insist, I have nothing more to say about Pikachu, and everyone else is sure to run out of comments as well, and it will become a flattened mess beneath your own heel.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I've always liked Pikachu, and I won't lie; that was because of the anime. The first few series of pokemon is awesome, and the movies aren't that bad either (until I stopped watching altogether). Sure, Pikachu can get in your face enough, but isn't it the same for Ash? Tell me, what would happen if Pikachu left that day in Pikachu's Goodbye? A lot of people, generally the younger audience, would've hated their favourite mascot taken away from them. Pikachu, instead of Clefairy (which would have been interesting to watch for a few episodes at least), is well received from both genders (at least in Japan), and as we know, Pikachu can be funny, he can show emotion almost better than any pokemon, and the relationship between Ash and his Pikachu is the ultimate friendship that the game/show franchises.

I don't think you can get any better than that.

Pikachu is boss, Crunchy out.

Last edited by Crunchy on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:34 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Krisp wrote:
On the internet Pikachu is totally hated on by EVERYONE, I don't think I've run into anyone who has admitted Pikachu is his favorite Pokemon, not for a LONG time anyway.

When I went to Arizona earlier this year for a Pokemon TCG tournament (about mid-March), I ran into a guy who had just amassed a collection of Pikachu cards, all from the newest set (Next Destinies). He got out exactly 60 of them, plus a Pikachu playmat, a binder filled with assorted Pikachu cards from every set (even the Pokemon M mini-set), and his sleeves were completely Pikachu as well.

And even I had to give some crazy mad props to that guy for doing so. I ended up battling him round 3 and he was a really great guy.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:58 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

^Reminds me of my Dragonite Army in Silver.
I have Pikachu in TCG (from Basic Set), and I owned a lot of my friend's pokemon with it, mostly because it attacked benched pokes a lot! God he was soo pissed!

Goodbye
"

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:03 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

You must mean Pikachu from the Jungle set. It's attack Spark puts a damage counter on one of the bench pokemon. I always used to call the first set of cards the Basic set (the one with the Charizard).

I didn't keep many pokemon cards. But the two Pikachu I do have are the first movie Pikachu, and the Lt. Surge Pikachu.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:26 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I haven't been following the anime for a rather long time. I do remember the season I faithfully watched, though, which was the Indigo League. And I loved Pikachu. He was so chubby and adorable. He had funny moments, he had epic moments, and he had those moments where he acted like an extension of his human friends. I remember Pikachu's fight against Cubone in The School of Hardknocks, and how Pikachu did exactly the silly thing Gary demanded of Ash, so the group could stay at an inn, when Ash refused to go so low. Oh, and Pikachu being so sad at his broken ketchup bottle...

I've played through RBY and its remakes, and I always caught a Pikachu, because Raichu is one of my favorite Pokemon overall. I don't find Pikachu bad at all, but I do prefer Raichu over its previous stages. I've always waited until Pikachu learned Thunder to evolve him, so I've always had him around for a very long time. I don't know anything about competitive battling, but I'm pretty sure the yellow mouse has some tricks under his sleeve as well.

And Pikachu has been my number one choice for playable character in the Smash series since the very first game. Pikachu is easy to use and has a very nice combination of moves. It's true he isn't very resistant, but his speed makes up for it. At least that's what I think.

All in all, Pikachu is a cute little thing, and he can be cool and tough without losing his adorable traits. I don't know why people dislike him so much, but it's probably to do with his over-exposure (at least in comparison to other Pokemon) and for being the face of the franchise. It's silly to hold that against him, though; he's a main character (even more, a main hero), and that's what leading protagonists do. Some might say "I don't like cute Pokemon" or "Pikachu has bad stats", but, meh, that's a matter of taste and you can't change that; I believe the only reason Pikachu is targeted is because he's more proeminent than other "cute and weak" Pokemon.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:38 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Necromancy, but it's very dead around here anyways so its hard to not revive threads. I didn't read anything anyone said because I'm being a :censored: and you can't stop me.

:censored: that stupid yellow attention :censored:

edit:

I'm sorry.. I went through and read what you people said and..

DNA wrote:
I go to a TCG league virtually every Saturday, and a handful of the people who go there are 10 and under, so yeah.

I wish I had anyone who would play with me...
Skeleton wrote:
I blame it for Pokémon's general reputation. I bet Yu-Gi-Oh TCG players know what I mean.

I DO. I SO DO.

I played the crap out of the TCG, but making all the old OP cards banned? How useless is my Swords of Revealing Light? Raigeki? Jinzo? Magic Cylinder? CMON NOW GUIZ. I sold all my cards because they're useless.
Samurott wrote:
Three questions:
3.) Will you guys get back on topic?

lol wutz a topik

I PUSH THE BUTTON AND WATCH THE SKY BRING DEATH.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:18 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I had a lvl100 {pikachu} for an electric in my team, but he seriously suck xD
Low defence and sp defence, it was horrible.

Smells Like wrote:
Necromancy, but it's very dead around here anyways

Smells Like wrote:
its hard to not revive threads

+1

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:48 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Quote:
I played the crap out of the TCG, but making all the old OP cards banned? How useless is my Swords of Revealing Light? Raigeki? Jinzo? Magic Cylinder? CMON NOW GUIZ. I sold all my cards because they're useless.

All of those cards you mentioned, save Raigeki, are at 3 now.
Oh, and Mirror Force is at 2; have fun!!

/off-topic

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next