Which starter will you choose?
Chespin 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
Fennekin 57%  57%  [ 29 ]
Froakie 25%  25%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 51

Which starter will you choose? 
THE POWER IS ON!

James86134 wrote:
Fire/Psychic isn't that good. It has as a weakness, Water, Ground, Rock, Dark, Ghost, Bug
Water/Fighting Weaknesses: Psychic, Ghost, Grass, Electric, Flying

Fire and Fighting: Flying, Water, Ground, Rock, Psychic, Ghost

Fire/Psychic takes normal damage from Bug, Water/Fighting and Fire/Fighting both take neutral damage from Ghost, and Fire/Fighting takes neutral damage from Rock.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:52 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

And if I may add onto that, Fire/Psychic is amazing, since it's unique to one pokemon (and it better stay that way). Victini will destroy your face off with its awesomeness/cuteness.

Goodbye
"

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Surprise twist and have it be Fire/Water, haha. Would actually make for an interesting typing.
2x weak - Electric, Ground, and Rock
.5 resist - Bug
.25 resist - Fire, Ice, steel
Cancels out to normal - Water, Grass
Everything else standard damage. Not a bad idea at least, and it would be the first of this typing. Wouldn't mind seeing it. Course bad stats could mess over even the coolest idea with typings.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:58 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

vggamer wrote:
Everything else standard damage.

Assuming the Dragon type is erased from the game.
And it would never happen. It'll give an unfair advantage and be too OP compared to the other starters, unless Froakie gets fire as well, and Chespin gets water.

Goodbye
"

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:30 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

James86134 wrote:
Grass/Dark Weakness: Fighting, Bug, Flying, Fire,

And Chespin with the awesome power he has has only 4 weaknesses (I think. Error on my part if I'm wrong).

HE IS THE BEST. WITH THOSE SHARP CLAWS, THAT FUZZY LITTLE HAT, THAT CUTE LITTLE BELLY, AND THAT CUTE WITTLE FACE. HE IS EPICNESS. SMEXY, SMEXY, SMEEEEEEXXXXYYYYYY EPICNESS.

4x weak to:
Bug
2x weak to:
Fighting
Fire
Flying
Ice
Poison

So, it's actually a pretty bad typing.
Samurott wrote:
And it would never happen. It'll give an unfair advantage and be too OP compared to the other starters, unless Froakie gets fire as well, and Chespin gets water.[/color]

That would be 2 fire/water types and 1 grass/water.
I think you meant that Froakie should get grass and Chespin should get fire. That evens things out.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:29 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Samurott wrote:
vggamer wrote:
Everything else standard damage.

Assuming the Dragon type is erased from the game.
And it would never happen. It'll give an unfair advantage and be too OP compared to the other starters, unless Froakie gets fire as well, and Chespin gets water.

I meant it's defensive weaknesses, it wouldn't take bonus damage from a dragon attack being fire/water.

But ya, it would be a bit unfair as a starter unless they did some crazy hybrid for all of them. Fire/Water, Water/Grass, Grass/Fire as the 3 starters.

Still wouldn't mind seeing a Fire/Water type in the game, hasn't been done yet.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:50 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Dragon is super effective against both Water and Fire, so it does 4x damage. It can't cancel.

Goodbye
"

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:29 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Samurott wrote:
Dragon is super effective against both Water and Fire, so it does 4x damage. It can't cancel.

....what. Last time I checked, Dragon does neutral damage to both Water and Fire. ._.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:39 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ya, Dragon is only super effective when hitting Dragon. Now Dragon resists Fire, Water, Electric, and Grass if that's what your thinking.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:00 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wait what? brb checking psylab
EDIT: FFUUUUUU-

Goodbye
"

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

It was always funny back in RBY days, cause Dragon was Super against Dragon, but the only Dragon move was Dragon rage that did fixed damage, was pointless.

Same deal with Ghost only having Lick that actually did damage, not a fixed calculated damage. But lick was pathetically weak. (think it was only 10 base power in RBY if I remember right, then got bumped up later gens.)

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:45 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ghost type moves in Gen I also included Shadow Ball and Night Shade.

Goodbye
"

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Samurott wrote:
Ghost type moves in Gen I also included Shadow Ball and Night Shade.

Nope, only Night Shade was present in Gen I, not Shadow Ball, and Night Shade does fixed damage equal to the user's level anyway.

Also, Psychic types were immune to Lick in Gen I. So basically, Ghost was utterly useless.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:05 am
THE POWER IS ON!

If Dragon moves other than Dragon Rage existed during RBY, they would do Super Effective damage against the Dragon family. Conversely, if Ghost moves other than Lick existed during RBY, Psychics would be immune to them still. This is something we learned from hacking the game and turning Gust into a Dragon-type move and then a Ghost-type move.

The fact that Psychic is immune to Ghost in Generation I is rather obscure when you think about it. There's three Ghost-type moves in RBY; Confuse Ray doesn't do damage, Lick always has been 20 BP and is not to be bothered with, and Night Shade actually hits Psychics. But Seismic Toss hits Ghosts in RBY as well, so these moves are either glitched or were originally intended to hit through immunities, only to be retconned in later Generations.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:20 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Generally speaking though, typings were never very important in starters. While we did get Swampert, we also got Charizard. And let's not talk about the new metagame and Stealth Rock, 'cos that makes Charizard even worse.
Also, wasn't this supposed to be a poll? How did it get to type matchups :o?

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

ChillBill wrote:
Generally speaking though, typings were never very important in starters. While we did get Swampert, we also got Charizard. And let's not talk about the new metagame and Stealth Rock, 'cos that makes Charizard even worse.
Also, wasn't this supposed to be a poll? How did it get to type matchups :o?

The internet is a fickle mistress and we must all bow to her evil whims........

Or it's just cause we are all probably ADD and get distra... SQUIRREL.............

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:43 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Correction: Albino squirrel. Mwahahaha!
And I really hate how Ghost was supremely nerfed in Gen I.

Goodbye
"

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:34 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I loved Gengar back when I first played Red/Blue, even if ghost attacks were poo. It's weird though replaying my yellow right now though after being so used to the current style though. Out of habit I still shoot fire at magnemite and cringe when something uses bite on my alakhazam, then I laugh and remember it's gen 1.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yep Generation I. When the only Bug type attacks were String Shot, Leech Life, Twineedle, and Pin Missile, the only Ghost type attacks were Confuse Ray, Night Shade, and Lick, and there was no actual Dragon type attack (Dragon Rage always does 40). It's where things started and where our hearts belong, but let's face it. Gen I compared to Gen V is like rural India to New York City lol

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:07 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Things evolve.

And hopefully Fennekin will evolve into some awesome desert fox and my love of Fire types will rekindle after the monkey and the :censored: boar.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Tepig had so much potential, and then Emboar happened :(

granted I know some people like him, everyone has their favorites. I honestly like Vanillish line, I thought it was a fun ice mon.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

@ChillBill ok at this point I'm completely understanding and used to all the Emboar hate, but Infernape does not deserve the same. It was actually a pretty good Pokemon in Gen IV that was pretty powerful and useful, and it could still be a threat in Gen V but not to the extent as its debutant generation. Plus at that point we weren't too bummed about another Fire/Fighting type because it was just one more. I mean did we rant about Walrein having the same type combo as Dewgong or Bronzong having the same type combo about Metagross? Not that I know of.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 pm
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
Think about it. Its bound to happen. There's about 293 combos for types *pushes up glasses* (I think). There's 649 pokemon. Its impossible not to double over. Yes we got starters that are Fire/Fighting. Get the :censored: over it.

Move on. Lapras, Walrein, Dewgong, Cloyster are all Ice/Water. No one cares.
Fighting/Psychic: Meditite, Mienshao. Why did no one whinge about this?
Ghost/Dark: No one complained about Spiritomb (except for the fact that it sucks).
Poison/Grass: Roserade got no whining. Vileplume, Bulbasaur, then Roserade.
Flying/Ground: Gligar, then Landorus. That about this.
Or this; Flying/Normal: (I know this is a main compartment of the game tho...) Pidgey, Spearow, Braviary, Pidove, Swellow, Starly. Enough!

I've made 6 valid arguments and no one whinged about these typings. So why Fire/Fighting?

There isn't a valid reason to whinge (because there starters! Isn't a valid reason. Big deal makes no difference. No one is forcing you to use your starter.)

PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN

So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:19 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

James86134 wrote:
There's about 293 combos for types *pushes up glasses* (I think).

289 actually. 153 if you count dark/ghost and ghost/dark etc. as the same.

The reason for whinging is "because they're starters!" They're the first POkémon you get in the game and most people use them throughout their game. They're special, so being repetitive with their types is annoying (for some people). I have always chosen the fire starter in my first playthrough of a game, and I like Infernape/Emboar more than Blaziken.

James86134 wrote:
Fighting/Psychic: Meditite, Mienshao. Why did no one whinge about this?
Mienshao is pure fighting. Gallade is also fighting/psychic.
James86134 wrote:
Poison/Grass: Roserade got no whining. Vileplume, Bulbasaur, then Roserade.
Venusaur, Vileplume, Victreebel and their evolution lines were all introduce in Gen1. What's one more?
James86134 wrote:
Or this; Flying/Normal: (I know this is a main compartment of the game tho...) Pidgey, Spearow, Braviary, Pidove, Swellow, Starly. Enough!
There's a good few more of them. They're a staple of the games now. Plus, being part normal type stops them from having no type if they use roost.

Like you said: "It's impossible not to double over". What it is possible to do is not double over on the starter types.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:06 am
THE POWER IS ON!

The thing that always bothered me is that people reacted with such vitriol over Emboar's typing while completely ignoring that Serperior and Samurott were ALSO the third times we had pure Grass (Meganium/Sceptile) and pure Water (Blastoise/Feraligatr) final Starter evolutions too. You can argue "it's different because those are the base types!!" but it was as conscious of a decision for the designers to not give Snivy and Oshawott's lines a second typing as it was for them to make Tepig's evolutions Fire/Fighting again.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next