It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Crackpot Theories 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

This was one of the first questions I asked myself when I saw what the new games were called. Why X and Y? What could this mean? I believe I have an answer. Two actually.

1: There is a small rainbow coloured thing in the japanese logo. It looks like part of a double helix (DNA)
That got me thinking: why was that put there? And then it hit me: X and Y chromosomes.
Now I was presented with another question: What do chromosomes have to do with these games?

2. This idea has no evidence to back it up and is merely speculation.
In geometry, points on a plane can be given with an X coordinate and a Y coordinate. If the plane is three dimensional then another coordinate, Z, is given.
Usually legendaries come in trios. So far we've been shown only two. What if there is a third? My idea is that this Pokémon would represent Z. Then we would have all three axes for a 3D plane. These are the first games released on the 3DS.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DragoBoy on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hmm, good thoughts. I feel like Either one could be a viable explanation.

Although if its Option one, what would the third legend be? It could still be Z, but what would it represent?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:40 pm
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
I'm a very paranoid person who likes to come up with random scenarios and one of these was that there would secretly be a third game released with X and Y. But imagine what the pokemon would look like to make it a Z shape. Kind of hard to design...

PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN

So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:42 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
All I can say for sure about why the game would be called Pokemon X & Pokemon Y Versions respectively would be cause with the move to 3DS they decided to ditch the whole color thing with the version names...why specifically X & Y? It imo remains to be seen as I don't have even the slightest bit of speculation as to why they would give those names to the games except maybe Unown has something to do with it & what I do not know...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:43 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The same ideas were discussed in Pokebeach. It sure is a question...
Well, some people just speculated that they used X and Y as the last letters of the alphabet, and then Pokemon Z will be launched (like Emerald was). Also, these might be the last games of the franchise.
The DNA part appeals to me much more though. It would be quite interesting to see teams and plot revolving around biology. Who knows, maybe we'll have an evil team which tries to clone Pokemon. Anything is possible.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

GofD wrote:
Hmm, good thoughts. I feel like Either one could be a viable explanation.

I think that Option one will be the theme of the games, but that Option two was taken into consideration when deciding what to name the games and what to base the legendaries off of.
GofD wrote:
Although if its Option one, what would the third legend be? It could still be Z, but what would it represent?

*shrugs shoulders* I dunno. What do Yveltal and Xerneas represent? I think I read somewhere that they may reprsent life(X) and death(Y) in which case Z would represent some sort of limbo I guess :? Or maybe life after death?
ChillBill wrote:
It would be quite interesting to see teams and plot revolving around biology. Who knows, maybe we'll have an evil team which tries to clone Pokemon.

Or maybe the villainous team(s) is trying to create their own Pokémon, just like Team Rocket created Mewtwo!
ChillBill wrote:
Also, these might be the last games of the franchise.

I doubt it. Why would the stop now if there's still money to be made?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:05 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

ChillBill wrote:
Who knows, maybe we'll have an evil team which tries to clone Pokemon. Anything is possible.

I'm calling it right now, Gen VI's evil team is Team Psyche.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:01 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

The names definitely come from the coordinate axes although that may not be the only reasoning for it. I'm not so sure that the first stroke of the ン in the logo is in fact a double helix like you suggested (implying a genetics theme in the games) but I really can't say. In the past, the names of the games didn't really have any significance except that they matched the colour of the mascot. This time they match the shape of the (presumed) mascot.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

What CG says is quite viable.
And I doubt that these will be the last games as well. I just saw that idea and decided to mention it.
And in case we get Team Psyche, we, the proud members of Midnight, will defeat them!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I've changed the name of the topic to "Crackpot Theories" rather than post a new topic for each theory I have. This theory is about the legendaries' designs and will answer the question of the 'Z' legendary.

When I first saw Yveltal I thought: Wow, that looks like a Nidhogg. The Nidhogg lives under the Yggdrasil.

-4 stags also live on the Yggdrasil.
-Xerneas has four different colours on its horns (4 stags, 4 horns)
-Xerneas represents the stags.

-There's also an eagle that lives on top of the Yggdrasil.
-The Nidhogg is a dragon/snake, so Yveltal is probably the eagle. (It was the horns/dragon face that made me think of the Nidhogg)

-That leaves the 'Z' legendary as the Nidhogg.

Thoughts? (and feel free to post you're own theories if you have any)

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 pm
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
I've thought about what the Z pokemon would look like and I've think I've come up with something. Although its prob nothing.

The Z pokemon is a Sea Serpent. The first thing that came to mind with this was an Aboriginal dreamtime story about a Rainbow Serpent. It gave life to everything in Australia and its Spirit is now shown in the form of a rainbow. Yada Yada Yada... Speculation has been that Yveltal will be a fire type with Xerneas being a Grass type. Usually with this pairing a water type has to occur. E.g. THE RAINBOW SERPENT. If you don't get this ill explain how rainbows are made or the scientific way of saying it. Rainbows= Defraction of light through the moisture in the atmosphere. MOISTURE=WATER. RAINBOW SERPENT+WATER=SEA SERPENT. Which could make into any shape ergo a Z formation. Just a load crackpot at that the moment though... Well have to wait till October I guess...

Also what the hell is a Nidhogg and a Yagddrasil?

PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN

So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.

Last edited by James86134 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:54 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

James86134 wrote:

It comes from Norse Mythology, if memory serves.

I actually like all the theories so far, but I'm not sure which one I would call most likely although I am leaning a bit towards DragoBoy's last theory though.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Someone told me of the Yggdrassil theory, and that was the first question I asked myself. "Where's Nidhogg?" Who knows, maybe the speculated Z Pokemon will be that.
And Dare, you're right, it does come from Norse mythology. Perhaps since the setting is in France (where some Vikings had settled for some centuries) we can say that Nintendo and GameFreak got ideas from old mythology?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

James86134 wrote:
The Z pokemon is a Sea Serpent. The first thing that came to mind with this was an Aboriginal dreamtime story about a Rainbow Serpent. It gave life to everything in Australia and its Spirit is now shown in the form of a rainbow. Yada Yada Yada... Speculation has been that Yveltal will be a fire type with Xerneas being a Water type. Usually with this pairing a water type has to occur. E.g. THE RAINBOW SERPENT.

I think you mean that Xerneas will be a grass type. Plus general speculation is that Yveltal will most likely be Dark/Flying not Fire (fire/flying is a crap typing anyway)
If the 'Z' legendary is based off the Nidhogg it may be a sea serpent, as some interpretations believe that the Nidhogg is one.

Dare234 wrote:
James86134 wrote:

It comes from Norse Mythology, if memory serves.

I actually like all the theories so far, but I'm not sure which one I would call most likely although I am leaning a bit towards DragoBoy's last theory though.

Yes, they're from Norse mythology. Yggdrasil (not yagddrisil) is the 'World Tree' that connects the nine realms. The Nidhogg (or nidhoggr) is a wyrm, which I'll explain later in this post.
And I'm glad you like my theories.

More theories/back-up info ('cause I'm full of good crackpot ideas)
-In the video we see the player character swing through a huge tree. Yggdrasil anyone?
-Wyrm means Dragon (usually the European dragon) and often those with only two legs, often called Wyverns.
-Wyvern / Yveltal
-that bit also sounds like evil, suggesting a dark type
-The end may come from Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent
-Some speculate that Xerneas and Yveltal represent life and death, respectively
-Yveltal's back looks similar to a vulture's, a bird of death
-this also suggests a dark type
-Wyverns can often spit venom, or breathe fire (two other possible types)
-Dragons in European folklore are often portrayed as evil (dark type)

This has raised yet more questions for me, the most prominent of which is: Is Yveltal based on the Nidhogg or the eagle?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:41 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Considering that most probably Yveltal and Xerneas are enemies, I'll go with Nidhogg. After all, the eagle is an enemy of Nidhogg, considering that Ratatosque (not sure of the spelling) the squirrel is a messenger of insults between them. So I can accept Yveltal as the eagle only if it turns out that Yveltal and Xerneas are not enemies.
The more I think about it, the more I believe that Norse myths have something to do with the game. So many things point in that direction.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:31 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

DragonPhoenix posted a link to this article in another topic. It explains what I've been saying about Yggdrasil etc. but in greater detail.
The article mentions something about gems in the stags' horns, but I can't find any confirmation of this anywhere.
It's worth a read if you're interested.

I have a theory on the name of this regions professor:
Yggdrasil is said to be an ash tree. But Professor Ash would clash with Ash in the anime.
Yggdrasil is sometimes speculated to be a yew tree. Professor Yew.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:51 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm digging the XYZ axis theory for them being on the 3DS. On that note, maybe Team Axis for the evil organization in this gen, since it's all the different axis's for dimensions.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Team Axis would sound like a pretty good villain team, since there's an X axis and a Y axis which is used in math a lot. Maybe Team X-axis vs. Team Y-axis like Team Aqua and Magma.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:14 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

The axis of evil, hehe, had to go there.

I'd think they could be be trying to expand into various alternate dimensions. Granted maybe too much like a GEN3/4 combo of enemies.

Maybe X wants to distort reality into making the earth flat, Y would be expanding into space, destroying the oxygen on earth. Then Z would show up in Z and twist the world into a negative universe, inverting everything.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:46 am
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

vggamer wrote:
The axis of evil, hehe, had to go there.

I'd think they could be be trying to expand into various alternate dimensions. Granted maybe too much like a GEN3/4 combo of enemies.

Maybe X wants to distort reality into making the earth flat, Y would be expanding into space, destroying the oxygen on earth. Then Z would show up in Z and twist the world into a negative universe, inverting everything.

Or maybe your just getting a wee bit too complex, considering 8 year olds play this game ;) . While that is a good idea, its too complex when it comes to the Main audience. When you think about it, Magma wanted land, aqua;water, Plasma;liberation (big words :oops: ), and galactic wanted to create a new world. Most of this isn't too complex. The whole axis thing. Going a bit far.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:31 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Rocket wanted to dominate the world, not too bad. Aqua and Magma were going to kill thousands of humans just to have more space for Pokemon to live. Edit: "Galactic" (not plasma, my bad.) wanted to go all Evangelion and recreate the world in the image of their own choosing by using a god Pokemon to destroy reality, not really the most kid friendly plot. But that's just cause I'm older and can see the underlying plots. :) It's that whole idea of watching kids shows when your older, you realize there are whole aspects of humor and subtle details you wouldn't have seen as a kid.

That's the fun with crackpot theories anyways, haha, thinking abstract.

I mean nothing says they have to be evil, X could just want to expand the world and Y could want to expand into outer space, so they use Pokemon as resources to accomplish these goals by stealing technology.

Last edited by vggamer on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:47 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

vggamer wrote:
Y would be expanding into space, destroying the oxygen on earth.

I'm not sure where you got destroying the oxygen on Earth from, but I think you might of meant destroying the atmosphere?

But I agree that your plotline would be a bit complicated. I like the teams being based on the different axes of a plane though, but the goals seem a tiny bit out of place, for lack of a better term.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:58 pm
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

One thing: Galactic wanted to change the world into their own. Plasma wanted liberation. No idea what Ghetsis said at the end of BW1, I'm still going through victory road. But PLASMA wanted liberation. Not Ghetsis. So ignore the middle sentence.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

James86134 wrote:
One thing: Galactic wanted to change the world into their own. Plasma wanted liberation. No idea what Ghetsis said at the end of BW1, I'm still going through victory road. But PLASMA wanted liberation. Not Ghetsis. So ignore the middle sentence.

Ghetsis wanted to be the only trainer that still had Pokemon so he could rule with an iron fist and Team Plasma's liberation was his way to accomplish this, but most of the Plasma members and N wanted Pokemon to be free.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:02 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ya, I know my plot is a bit complicated, I'm just having fun with it anyways, haha.

Not like they haven't started getting a tad dark in places. Kyurem almost kills you in BW2 with those icicle spears. Giratina didn't really give me the warm fuzzies with his alternate dimension. Shaymin was plotting to raise an army of undead warriors to eradicate the human menace.

I may be a bit biased on the dark nature of the plot as well since I've read the manga, heck rocket outright tries to kill red and green in it and green's golbat almost kills Koga's Arbok. Won't even touch the level of destruction caused by Groudon, Kyorge, and Rayquaza.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next