Do you like the new Pokemon? 

Yes 74%  74%  [ 43 ]
Average 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
No 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 58

THE POWER IS ON!

Yes, the plant aspect of Chespin is supposed to be a chestnut, but it's clearly based on something mammalian as well. And Chespin's Japanese name, Harimaron, contains the first half of the Japanese word for hedgehog (harinezumi), so I think the intent is kind of clear there.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:04 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Frost wrote:
Yes, the plant aspect of Chespin is supposed to be a chestnut, but it's clearly based on something mammalian as well. And Chespin's Japanese name, Harimaron, contains the first half of the Japanese word for hedgehog (harinezumi), so I think the intent is kind of clear there.

50% Chestnut and 50% Hedgehog???
Hmm... kinda... original! :mrgreen:
But still don't like his design...

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:10 pm
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
Why don't you like his design. WHAT'S NOT TO LURVE. Those cute little teeth. Those stubbly little legs. That cute wittle face. That thing on his head. (Seriously what is that. Hat or hair?). HE'S SO CUTE AND KEWL

KTHXBAI

He's actually the first starter I liked since Charmander and Squirtle. He's in the top 3 for me right now when it comes to starters.

PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN

So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:15 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

GP no likey Chespin because GP is purist. Purist only like Game Boy Gens. No Advance or DS Gens. Just Game Boy Gens. That what purist is.</possible tumor, or just crazy>

Goodbye
"

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:23 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Samurott wrote:
GP no likey Chespin because GP is purist. Purist only like Game Boy Gens. No Advance or DS Gens. Just Game Boy Gens. That what purist is.</possible tumor, or just crazy>

I like Gen 1, 2 and 3
Actually... I wasn't a purist some years ago.
And I actually bought Platinum and Diamond.
But when I first seen Piplup... almost puked. (Chimchar was horrible and I didn't liked Turtwig... so I finally took the grass type)
It was the worst design ever since gulpin, seriously.
I tried to train some pokemon of this Gen, but they all turned out horrible (Drapion, Garchomp, etc.)
So one day, when I first saw Regigigas, I said: "I hate this Gen!"
So I stick to Rapidash and pokemon from older Gens.

And when Gen 5 came out, I expected better Pokemon, but I met Oshawott... same design than Piplup, but worst!!! (unlike Gen 4, I liked 2 Pokemon: the electric zebra and the prehistoric turtle.

And then... Gen 6... much better!
But... Chespin, with same design than Piplup and Oshawott...
But others are good for now... Fennekin, don't become an ugly thing!!!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:49 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

And there it is again! How are they similar in design? One's a penguin, one's an otter, and the other is a hedgehog!
EDIT: vapor, what the hell are you talking about?

Goodbye
"

Last edited by Haunted Water on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:03 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Rufflet and Braviary are eagles, Spearow is a sparrow. Its name is a combination of spear (referring to its sharp beack) and sparrow. And a Chandelier can hurt you if it falls on you (Cheaper by the Dozen). You're mixing up real world logic with pokemon logic lol.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Samurott wrote:
And there it is again! How are they similar in design? One's a penguin, one's an otter, and the other is a hedgehog!

ImageImage
Big head (50% of the pokemon), no hands (round arms???)...
I just hate this kind of designs, seriously.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:05 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Piplup is a penguin. It kind of shouldn't HAVE hands. And you said yourself that a lot of Pokemon have big heads, so...

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Frost wrote:
Piplup is a penguin. It kind of shouldn't HAVE hands. And you said yourself that a lot of Pokemon have big heads, so...

Hmm... where exactly?

Oh, and forget it!
I hate these 3 and I'm not going to change idea! :)

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:00 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

fine while we're being ridiculous I'll hate the Hitmon trio and the Eeveelutions for looking alike. Oh and I'll remember to share my hate to every bipedal normal type animal pokemon for being unoriginal and not creative. The sooner people get off the Piplup/Oshawott/Chespin deal the better.

I think I'll leave it at that. There are certain Pokemon issues that are worth debating and arguing about, but this isn't one of them. After all Gamefreak didn't hire us, they hired others that work hard to make the games we love. The least we can do is enjoy them.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:11 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Oh, chill! It's just GP's opinion. He doesn't like this type of design. Don't shoot him for that!
However, I must point out a mistake somewhere. GP has written that Garchomp is horrible. Of course, he meant horribly strong.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:57 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

For the record, while I don't really see the similarities between Chespin and the other two, and while otters and penguins are obviously different animals, you have to be a little blind to say that these two look nothing alike (P.S. Piplup is still far superior):

Piplup was probably the single most popular Pokemon from Diamond and Pearl. So I don't think it was a coincidence that Oshawott just happened to have the same general body shape and coloring scheme as its predecessor. Especially when the anime always has tried to play up Oshawott as the next big thing, too.

Quote:
Hmm... where exactly?

I misinterpreted "50% of the Pokemon" as you saying that 50% of Pokemon have big heads rather than the head makes up 50% of the Pokemon in question. Because a lot of Pokemon kind of DO have really big heads. And the Chespin/Oshawott comparison picture baffles me because, if anything, it reveals how much those two don't have in common; they have differently shaped eyes, noses, tails, paws, ears and mid-sections. >_> Also, a LOT of Pokemon have the little reflective white spot in their eyes like Chespin and Oshawott do. It's kind of a standard anime artistic technique.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:10 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I like how this was supposed to be a discussion about the new pokemon and turned into bashing the old ones. Sigh.

Anywho, if I do end up getting this game, I think I'll go with Chespin. I like him. I actually adore all the starters, although I know deep down besides maybe Fennekin they'll evolve into ugly pokemon :(

I think I'll pick up Y. Yveltal looks pretty cool, and I know it's been done a lot, but I like the flying-type legendaries. No offense to X Version, but the legendary reminds me too much of the Swords of Justice, especially Virizion in a way.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:43 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I need to wait to see more of this Gen's Pokemon. There will likely be a lot that I really like, and some that I don't like.

I will say, the legendaries they gave us so far are very good. (Nice to see something other than dragon for a change).

As for the starters, Ill save my judgement until I see the final evolutions.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:10 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I really do like the new pokemon. I feel they are very original design wise and Fennekin looks like we are finally leaving the Fire/Fighting age. I hope the next issue of CoroCoro focuses either on revealing more new pokemon or a new pokemon that will be revealed in the 16th movie.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:24 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

@Gofd You don't have to base your opinion on starters based off of their whole evolutionary line. I mean some people like Squirtle more than Blastoise.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Umm... Why?
I actually was pining for Tepig last gen, before I laid eyes on Samurott.

Goodbye
"

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:33 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Damn I'm late to this thread haha but found it appealing none the less. I think this might be the first time I ever break away from the fire chain I started so long ago with Charmander in Red in 5th grade, but Chespin and Frokie are just calling my name. Also I hope that they don't turn all cute counter to what I saw some say in this thread I mean I want a badass fully evolved monster of destruction that I send out to bash brains, not a cute little thing that I'd wanna pet.

As far as the legendaries go I started out digging Yvetal but after a while Xerneas just crept up on my awesome meter. So I'll probably be going with X for this one. (Plus it matches my name! :D)

Wed May 08, 2013 1:46 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Oh, I am definitely going with Fennekin. Like MrDeadlyBootz said, I'd rather they go super murderous rather than stay cute and cuddly. And I'm also hoping Fennekin stays quadrupedal. So far only Quilava and Tepig have been four-legged fire starters, but they've eventually gone two-legged. I don't know why, but I'd rather Fennekin be an actual fox type, staying on all fours. And as for the Legendary Pokémon, I think they're both awesome. I don't know which one I'll pick. I think I'll wait and see which Pokémon are version-specific before I decide.

Wed May 08, 2013 3:05 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

They're unoriginal in my opinion.

Sun May 12, 2013 12:03 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Xeryd wrote:
They're unoriginal in my opinion.

I actually think the contrary, as far as designing goes I think these are just as original as the 1st gen. Why is that? Because when your job is to create a bunch of little creatures that are all in the same world they have to be similar otherwise it's counter productive. They look like Pokemon, would you say that a chimp is unoriginal because it looks like a small gorilla? Or that a lion is unoriginal because it bears similarities to the ancient smilodon? I doubt it. They look like a what the designers who made the 1st Pokemon would make as the 650th just new designs that have to be similar to old ones yet not look like they belong in another anime yet still look fresh enough to not bore but still .... and it could on and on. It's not an easy job and criticism makes it harder. If this gen would have come out first the same thing would be getting said about the Kanto region

Sun May 12, 2013 10:12 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

MrDeadlyBootz wrote:
I actually think the contrary, as far as designing goes I think these are just as original as the 1st gen. Why is that? Because when your job is to create a bunch of little creatures that are all in the same world they have to be similar otherwise it's counter productive. They look like Pokemon, would you say that a chimp is unoriginal because it looks like a small gorilla? Or that a lion is unoriginal because it bears similarities to the ancient smilodon? I doubt it. They look like a what the designers who made the 1st Pokemon would make as the 650th just new designs that have to be similar to old ones yet not look like they belong in another anime yet still look fresh enough to not bore but still .... and it could on and on. It's not an easy job and criticism makes it harder. If this gen would have come out first the same thing would be getting said about the Kanto region

Wow all I said is I thought it was unoriginal lol

Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, that'll teach you, Xeryd! I'm kidding...

Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Xeryd wrote:
Wow all I said is I thought it was unoriginal lol

Lol I know, I know I'm not coming at you or anything I'm simply brainstorming with your comment that's all

Tue May 14, 2013 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next