It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Starter Types 
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
Where were they announced? Also, I agree Samurott is awesome. But Dewott and Oshawott are not that helpful at all. I really want to know that Chespin is a dark/grass.

PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN

So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:59 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Chespin is pure Grass. Maybe its evos will be dark.
Well, there's an announcement on Pokebeach. Maybe Pokemon.com has it too, I dunno.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:44 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

The Unova Starters were all extremely underwhelming in battles. Serperior without its Dream World ability is probably the single worst Starter in battle thanks to his bad movepool and horrible stat distribution, and that's saying a lot considering Meganium beats him in everything but Speed. Emboar would have been good if one of his three better stats were used for Speed, but right now he's a slow glass cannon and that's not particularly desirable. And Samurott.... I don't think there can be a more mediocre Starter. I think this has been the only Generation where all three Starters went straight to NU in the tiers and only Emboar has gone up slightly to RU.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:33 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, I wonder what the stats distribution will be for the starters. I see Fennekin's line as special sweepers and Froakie's as all-around Pokemon. Chespin is difficult to predict.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:39 am
Profile WWW
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
What's with all this talk about sweepers and stats. Enjoy the game for what it is! They didn't make it for people to calculate how much something is going to do. They did it for people to enjoy the game itself.

Froakie actually looks to me like it might be the worst of the three. I don't know why just something about it. I have this idea about Chespin's final evo being a Deceiving pokemon. Where looks can be deceiving. Sort of like Cherrim it changes from cute, to shifty and dark.

EDIT: OK I GET IT! No need to batter me i was wrong... Sorry.

PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN

So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.

Last edited by James86134 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:52 am
THE POWER IS ON!

If we shouldn't be talking about the Starters' possible stats or roles in battle because we should just "enjoy the game for what it is," then I don't see what the point is for discussing what types they could be either. Or a lot of other things in general, like new abilities, type combinations, moves, etc. Also, try using Farfetch'd, Delcatty or some other Pokemon that has completely garbage stats and tell me how fun that's supposed to be. ;) There's valid reasons why people care.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:16 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah, Frost is right. It might be a game, but it's a game with opponents. If you wanna win, you have to take some things into account. And considering that your starter is pretty much your mostly-used Pokemon in the story, I think discussing how strong it is and what potential it has is natural.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

James86134 wrote:
What's with all this talk about sweepers and stats. Enjoy the game for what it is! They didn't make it for people to calculate how much something is going to do. They did it for people to enjoy the game itself.

Why would breeding natures/IVs, EVs etc. be included if we weren't meant to exploit use them?
And isn't the main aim for them to make money?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:46 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Alright so all three starter pokemon are all pure Grass, Fire, and Water respectively, giving Bulbasaur the distinction of being the only unevolved starter pokemon to be dual typed for another generation. I used Serperior in White and Samurott in White 2 as my starter pokemon. Samurott gets better moves early on than the other starters (Razor Shell being more useful than Water Gun/Bubblebeam and being able to get Revenge and Megahorn not terribly late in the story) and having used all grass type starters in at least one game, I only recall having an easier time when I used Torterra in Diamond and Serperior proved to be pretty good. I still use Serperior in wifi battles and it isn't gonna make a push to take Serperior into Uber but it's been crucial in several of my victories. Emboar I have the least experience with and I know it's slow but Focus Sash and a strong enough move can still do enough to make a dent on a team especially on 3 vs. 3. Gen V being underwhelming my butt. Probably if you're playing 9 year olds who go on Random Matchup with 1 of those 3 starters and then their next pokemon are lv 41 Zebstrika and lv 38 Gurdurr.

I don't mean to sound rude and I'm sorry if I did but I've seen these pokemon be used pretty well before and they can't be completely written off. As for Camerupt, I've got nothing. That pokemon sucks lol so yeah maybe Fennekin will evolve into Fire/Ground like someone else mentioned.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:17 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Honestly, I think that they should have more than 3 types for a starters (maybe a psychic, dark, and fighting for a type balance)

I don't believe any pokemon is better than another, (although Arcanineis my fav) I would just use a Bidoof as soon as a Charizard, I would rather lose with my own Magikarp then win with a traded Mewtwo

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:43 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well that ship has sailed since we know that the 3 starters are pure Grass, pure Fire, and pure Water. However, there's still a possibility that their next or final evolutions get such secondary types to have two different type advantage cycles at once with these 3 starters.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:53 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm all up for the reverse compatibility of having the Grass/Dark Water/Fighting and Fire/Psychic and having them all be even among themselves. It would be a pretty neat trick and unique, specially after the internet lit on fire at the fan hope that those would be the new types for starters a gen or two ago. So my hopes on that. Besides I'm all too used to having starters gain a type through their cycles so I'm not really all too worried.

Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't really mind the Fire/Fighting combo, but four times in a row is pushing it. I hope Fennekin is something else. Fire/Electric would be interesting. Fire/Psychic would be pretty cool, and I'm on the bandwagon thinking that this'll be its type once it evolves.

Wed May 08, 2013 3:41 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Charphlokenapoar wrote:
I don't really mind the Fire/Fighting combo, but four times in a row is pushing it. I hope Fennekin is something else. Fire/Electric would be interesting. Fire/Psychic would be pretty cool, and I'm on the bandwagon thinking that this'll be its type once it evolves.

So am I, but in my opinion I don't think that's a bad thing. It's a great wagon to be on. Would you really let a wagon that would take you to your happy place pass you by just because other people got it? Nope I'd just enjoy it with them haha Fire/Psychic let's go! haha

Sun May 12, 2013 10:16 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Quote:
The Starter final evolutions are Fire/Psychic, Grass/Fighting, and Water/Dark.

dat unconfirmed piece of news

even though it makes more sense to be Grass/Dark to allow that reverse triad thing going on.

Mon May 13, 2013 7:42 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

MrDeadlyBootz wrote:
Charphlokenapoar wrote:

So am I, but in my opinion I don't think that's a bad thing. It's a great wagon to be on. Would you really let a wagon that would take you to your happy place pass you by just because other people got it? Nope I'd just enjoy it with them haha Fire/Psychic let's go! haha

I didn't mean that I was unhappy about being on this particular bandwagon. I do hope Fennekin is Fire/Psychic.
DNA wrote:
Quote:
The Starter final evolutions are Fire/Psychic, Grass/Fighting, and Water/Dark.

even though it makes more sense to be Grass/Dark to allow that reverse triad thing going on.

I don't know if I believe that. I mean, Patrice? That's unbelievable. It's not a tree! That should have been the first red flag.

Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Patrice is a first name, not a surname. It doesn't matter if the first name isn't a tree.

Mon May 13, 2013 9:50 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I did not even know the professors had first names.

Mon May 13, 2013 10:04 am
THE POWER IS ON!

The only two we know are Samuel Oak and Aurea Juniper, anyway. And even then I think Oak's was only mentioned in the anime.

Also I am extremely skeptical that those are the Starter types after Corocoro was leaked. They emphasized that Chespin uses its shell as armor and it learns Rollout, but it ends up being Grass/Fighting instead of Grass/Rock? Meh. And try as people might to make "it's two perfect type circles!" happen, it's really not because Dark has an immunity which throws off the balance. They've never had a trio of Starters where one has an immunity to one of the others and I hope they don't start now.

Mon May 13, 2013 10:21 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Also, I think that Fennekin for Fire/Psychic isn't possible. I'd like it if they don't rob Victini of that rite not even after one gen.

Goodbye
"

Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Don't forget Cedric Juniper. BW2 really tried to hammer home the point that they do have first names.
Quote:
And even then I think Oak's was only mentioned in the anime.

Did Rowan say it once in Gen 4? Or perhaps my memory is foggy.

Quote:
And try as people might to make "it's two perfect type circles!" happen, it's really not because Dark has an immunity which throws off the balance.

Either way, the two circles are going in the same direction. Water/Dark beats both halves of Fire/Psychic. That is what displeases me. If they reversed it (Big Froakie being Water/Fighting and Big Chespin being Grass/Dark), I'd probably like it better.

But I'll be pleased just so long as Big Froakie looks awesome.

Mon May 13, 2013 12:00 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Haunted Water wrote:
Also, I think that Fennekin for Fire/Psychic isn't possible. I'd like it if they don't rob Victini of that rite not even after one gen.

Victini isn't the only Fire/Psychic. Darmanitan's Zen mode is, too.

Mon May 13, 2013 3:10 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

When I look at Fennekin, I see something sneaky. Im gonna say Fire Dark.

Croaky....For some reason I see its Final Evo being a big fat frog with a wooden staff and a Stache that rivals Alakazam. Im Gonna say he starts out Pure Water, then ends up Water/Psychic.

Chespin confounds me...I either see it ending up as a hulking Armadillo with either the Grass/Ground or the Grass/Rock typing. On the other hand, I see something sleek and speedy that packs a punch, So Grass/ Fighting.

To sum it up:

Fennekin-Fire/Dark
Croaky-Water to Water/Psychic
Chespin-Grass to either Grass/Ground, Grass/Rock, or Grass/Fighting

Tue May 14, 2013 7:46 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

DNA wrote:

The person who gave this news also gave names for the 4 new Pokémon. The correct names. I think this person may be right.
In which case, prepare for fairy type, another Mewtwo form, dual typed moves, EV facility, and the hatred/trolling (except for that EV facility)

Tue May 14, 2013 8:22 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, if it is true, then Fennekin will only take 1/4 the damage from fairies, so there's that for Fennekin fans. I still don't believe it, though. And, just a question, where did it say the source gave the names of the four new Pokémon?

Tue May 14, 2013 8:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next