It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 The Storybinders (Applications are now open!!) 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Roleplay Name: The Storybinders
Genre: Inkheart series (so, whatever books we choose, those genres)
Rating: Depends on the book, but PG-13 at the most.

Setting: Set in the universe of Inkheart. In this world, there are those known as "Silvertongues," who are capable of reading with such pure emotion and clarity, that things from the book being read may come to life in our world. Additionally, writers may write edited versions of stories, which the Silvertongues will read, allowing whole plots to be changed - up to and including reading themselves and others into their favorite books! Once in the book, writers and Silvertongues alike must continue to work together to change the story for the better, then leave it whole.

Plot: In this wondrous world, a group of Silvertongues and writers gather together, to experience the wonder of their favorite books in a much more intimate way. Each brings a single book, and together, they set out to either change the plots of their favorite stories from within (to avoid some tragedy), or to simply experience the wonder of those worlds. The Bookkeeper (just a title, and also played by me, although he will have an actual name) starts off with a book of his choice, showing the others how the group will work together to achieve their goals.

Additional Information: Basically, everyone will apply, and select a book. I will RNG the order (although I will be the first one, so as to show everyone how it works), and each person will decide what we want to accomplish in the book. I will come up with various obstacles, based off of my own knowledge of the book, and the person who chose it. This will basically create two RP Masters/plot choosers for every book, save the first one. Also, as a general note (and homage to the original book series) we will probably enter the books after the actual plot of the book. TV shows, movies, manga, and comic books are exempted from the choices for books (but if you find a script or movie adaptation somewhere, tell me first, and I'll approve/disapprove it). Obviously, it also kinda has to be some kind of fiction; Typing for Dummies wouldn't be much fun, in my opinion. If too many people are Silvertongues, or too many are writers, then I will ask for volunteers to switch which one they want to be. If I think of anything else that needs mentioning, I will add it here.

Rules:
1. No swearing. If you want to use one, use asterisks (*) or the :censored: smilie.
2. Violence is to be kept to an appropriate level.
3. Use proper grammar; it's a pet peeve of mine, so if yours is particularly bad, then you may get kicked out for it.
4. You must have 30 posts, or have participated in 2 RPs minimum (if using the latter; then please provide links).
5. Put rex09 in your application somewhere to show you have read the premise and rules.
6. No godmoding (certain exceptions can be made, if necessary, but please avoid it if possible).
7. You may not be related to anyone famous, or a character in a book (i.e., you're a normal person, for the most part)
8. I will accept/reject players as I see fit.
9. Standard Psypoke rules apply.
10. Warning system (2 strikes and you're out!): 1st warning - {abra} 2nd warning/banned - {kadabra}
11. All out of character statements, etc., need to be in double parentheses ((___)), or like so OOC:_______

Application:
Code:
Name:

Your Book:
Why you picked it:
Your favorite chapter/part of it:

Physical Description:
Personality Description:
History (1-2 par. minimum, including how your character came to hear about this group):

Interesting abilities (other than being a silvertongue or writer; also, keep it realistic):
Best Memory:
Worst Memory:
Favorite Place:
Additional Notes (misc.):

Have you read Inkheart by Cornelia Funke? Y/N

Like I said above, you don't have to necessarily be the most advanced RPer out there; a general love for reading and writing would make this an ideal Roleplay for you. The good news is, I also see no reason for this RP to ever end; as long as we continue posting and coming up with books to jump into, we can continue indefinitely, I think. So, applications are now open; enjoy!!! Oh, and I'll be posting my profile later on, along with our first book, later on.

Last edited by rex09 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hope nobody minds if I bump this; it's been a long time since I posted the original premise, and would like to see if there might be people who would be interested at this point in time.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:01 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'll join for sure Rex. I haven't been in a RP for ages, and It'd be great to do another with you. :D I'm actually in the middle of reading Inkheart now, so I'll come up with an application as soon as I'm done. It shouldn't take too long, maybe next Wednesday at the latest. I really hope other people are willing to join, as the idea seems like a lot of fun!

As for my book, I'm leaning towards either The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, or Starclimber by Kenneth Oppel. I might choose another one, as I've got a ton of favorite books, but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

(Also, I'm game for rebooting the Pokemorphs RP if you and the others ever wanted to ;D)

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:24 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Awesome, good to hear :p

Yeah, I'm sorry I let Pokemorphs die. That was such an awesome idea... such a shame. And we had awesome RPers, too!! But this one should ideally be able to keep itself going; even if I drop out, whoever's book we're doing can continue generating the plot. Which is kinda how I made it, lol; I've never finished an RP, they always die out before we get to the good stuff, it seems.

I'll write my application possibly this week, though I may need a couple of characters (the Bookkeeper, and another one as just a normal participant or something). I was kinda leaning towards the Giver, although let's face it: jumping into a Star Wars book could be an epic amount of fun :p

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:49 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm actually thinking about joining, but it'll take awhile to think up a character for this one. I'll probably apply sometime late next week.
Oh, and, this may sound like a stupid question, but is there like any recommended age for the character? I'm thinking of making him like, 16 or something.

Goodbye
"

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:39 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Samurott wrote:
I'm actually thinking about joining, but it'll take awhile to think up a character for this one. I'll probably apply sometime late next week.
Oh, and, this may sound like a stupid question, but is there like any recommended age for the character? I'm thinking of making him like, 16 or something.

No worries, I'm not in a rush to get started or anything. As far as recommended age... They need to be old enough to read, at minimum :p . In all seriousness, 16 is probably fine; older people may have a finer interest in books, but I was probably more interested in them at 16 than I am now. Go with whatever feels right, man :p

But just keep in mind that whatever feels right may not necessarily be approved by me and may require editing...

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:07 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

So what exactly is the difference between writers and Silvertongues? I mean, what do we do differently, specifically in this RPG? As a fan of the Inkheart series, I'm definitely interested.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:44 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Coliflowerz wrote:
So what exactly is the difference between writers and Silvertongues? I mean, what do we do differently, specifically in this RPG? As a fan of the Inkheart series, I'm definitely interested.

Story-wise, the writers will be able to write out the little edits and things that will allow us to travel into the books; Silvertongues will be the ones who read them. Past that, we all journey into the books together, so not much difference once we're there. However, occasionally we may need to edit the book somehow to better effect changes or advance toward our goal; in that case, it will be up to each writer and/or Silvertongue to decide whether their character would or would not agree to help out in this case. Does that make sense?

I'm also really excited that people are interested in this the second time around :)

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:46 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Alright, Im going to need a little bit more time, because I've been busy lately with schoolwork. I'm working on my application though, and I hope to get it up in the next few days.

Also, a question about the writers. Are they supposed to be the actual authors of the books, or just writers who can rewrite other books?

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:53 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

twistedturtwig wrote:
Alright, Im going to need a little bit more time, because I've been busy lately with schoolwork. I'm working on my application though, and I hope to get it up in the next few days.

Also, a question about the writers. Are they supposed to be the actual authors of the books, or just writers who can rewrite other books?

Rewrite other books. I don't want anybody famous as a character. Or a character related to somebody famous. And yeah, I've been relatively busy with various things as well, so no worries :p

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:01 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Alright, glad that I understand that now. I was pretty sure that it was just someone who wre-writes books, but I just wanted to double check instead of making a character and then having done the wrong thing. :lol:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:43 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Name: The Bookkeeper
Silvertongue or writer: Both

Your Book: ____ (I won't reveal our first book quite yet, mostly because I have yet to decide :p )
Why you picked it: N/A
Your favorite chapter/part of it: N/A

Physical Description: A lean young man, the Bookkeeper appears wise beyond his years. His hair is a dark brown verging on black; his brown irises appear friendly to all. Although quiet, the Bookkeeper has kept in good physical condition, neither extremely muscular nor corpulent. He stands at around six foot even. His left hand sports a single, crescent shaped scar, between the thumb and the index finger.
Personality Description: The Bookkeeper is shy and quiet. This is what led him to his great passion for reading; they allowed him to go places where he was more courageous and recognized. Over time, he has come out of his shell a little, becoming able to make friends more readily. These days, the Bookkeeper smiles and laughs a lot with his friends; he is satisfied with his lot in life, and wishes that all those that surround him would feel as much joy in their lives as he does in his.
History (1-2 par. minimum, including how your character came to hear about this group): The Bookkeeper was born 24 years ago, to the day. His parents were rich businesspeople, and as such were constantly traveling. Having been raised by various nannies and butlers, none of whom lasted more than six months in his resplendent mansion, the Bookkeeper grew dependent on books for comfort. He was tutored privately at home, and as such made friends in childhood with difficulty. But because his parents could see how his intelligent mind devoured works of literature like a starving man to meat and they felt guilty for neglecting him, they indulged him by buying any book he wanted. The Bookkeeper had a collection rivaling many small libraries by the time he turned twelve.

One day not long into his teens, the Bookkeeper was reading in a small lounge chair, surrounded by his many friends, safely hidden away within the pages of various stories, when for whatever reason, he read aloud a passage from a book - Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie. He felt a sense of power with this particular reading, flowing through the sounds of his voice - and heard a man walking amongst the pages. From behind a shelf came the cadaverous Captain Hook, with his hair as black candles. The man looked around him, surprised; then hastened toward the Bookkeeper, demanding to know who had brought him here, and why. Pinning the Bookkeeper's hand down with his hook, the infamous Captain interrogated the Bookkeeper, who had rapidly become terrified and confused. Finally, he grew so fearful for his own life that he twisted free - leaving a deep cut on his hand from the hook sliding across it - and runs for his life, away from the house.

After much time, the Bookkeeper returns home. There is no sign of the Captain, and he wonders if it was but a dream. But a glance at his hand reminds him that this was no dream. The Bookkeeper becomes terrified of reading, and ceases to do so for weeks; his parents worry, but assume that it is just a phase and will pass. Meanwhile, the Bookkeeper attempts to rationalize things in his mind, and comes to the conclusion that somehow this character was brought from the pages of the book. Slowly, he overcomes his fear; and then he begins to practice, attempting to bring small things from within stories, objects instead of people.

Eventually, the Bookkeeper learns to control his power, and tracks down the Captain, who is incredibly miserable in this land without magic, a land where there is no room for a dastardly pirate. The Bookkeeper comes with a sentence or two prewritten, and reads Hook back into Neverland. With this success, the Bookkeeper decides to dedicate his time to finding if there are others like him out there, and to unite them if possible. He begins to travel the world, seeking those who can share his experiences...

Interesting abilities (other than being a silvertongue or writer; also, keep it realistic): The Bookkeeper, having been a rich young man with opportunities, was occasionally taken up in his father's helicopter. It was one of their few bonding times, so the Bookkeeper learned to pilot on his own and became certified.
Best Memory: Giving Oliver some more by reading a bowl of soup into a story.
Worst Memory: Being interrogated by Captain Hook.
Favorite Place: His personal library, where he has a lounge chair situated by a window, perfect for reading in.
Additional Notes (misc.): The Bookkeeper is the only character allowed to be both a Silvertongue and a writer. Later on in the RP I may allow people to learn the other skill; but for now please keep it to just the one. Additionally, he will most likely not be a permanent fixture in this story, and will probably leave us (one way or another) after the first story.

Have you read Inkheart by Cornelia Funke? Yes, as well as the following two books.

Last edited by rex09 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:39 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Name: Alexander Wrighet
Silvertongue or writer: Silvertongue
Book: I Am Number Four
Why? The movie sucked, the book is better, and deserves better.
(Also, for reference, there is a noticeable difference between the book and the movie adaptation, namely that the movie disregarded a few key plot points)
Favorite Part: The gigantic battle at the end.
Physical Description: While his face is not usually fully seen because of his dark hooded cloak, occasionally a few get lucky enough to catch a glimpse of his piercing silver eyes and long dark, or blond (according to season), hair as he runs by them. Only people who he trusts can fully see his facial features, for a reason unbeknownst to others he likes to remain relatively faceless. Due to his lifestyle, he has a toned physique and strong legs.
Personality: Some see him as an odd individual because of his behavior. He is quiet whenever he isn't interacting with people, but he also gets very hyper, not to mention he runs a lot. He's very reserved, but, for some reason, will always find a way to make his presence known when he wants it to be.
History: Although he was an orphan, Alex always had a knack for reading quite well. He always was talkative and always was hyper, until his 11th birthday. That fateful June night, he and his brother were reading a non-fictional book about his favorite subject at the time: ninjas. His little brother, Justin, wanted to read with him, only that Justin couldn't read. So when he started to read the book aloud, something odd started to happen. Next thing he knew, ninjas were standing in front of them. They spoke to him in Japanese, so he never could understand them, only guess at what they wanted. For a year, he and his brother trained and lived along side the clan. After a year, however, Justin was fed up and slid a note to Alex written in English, which he read. "I want to runaway." He got his cloak and knapsack, his hunting knife (which he found in the woods behind the orphanage he was at when he was younger), and a few books, then picked up the ninja book and planned their escape. A few weeks later, and a few days after his 12th birthday, they struck. His brother wrote out a line to say, and he went about reading the ninjas back into the book. However, as he was reading the last one, a sentry, back into the book, a dart that was fired from his blowgun tore through Justin. Although he got rid of the ninjas, he had bury his brother, which he didn't enjoy one bit.
Once he was done, he set out to find others like him.
Abilities: He's very skilled with making weapons out of wood and common objects, and and can heighten his senses.
Best Memory: Stealing a Moped and crashing it into a little fruitstand, just to hear the owner yell at him in a funny way.
Worst Memory: When he had to bury his brother.
Favorite Place: Wherever he is.
Have you read Inkheart?Yes, and some of Inkspell, but that was about 5 years ago, and I struggled through Inkheart.
rex09

Goodbye
"

Last edited by Haunted Water on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:56 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Um, I had a hard time following the background for your character, Samurott. Could you please try to make it a little clearer? The part about Justin getting put into the book (what book? a ninja one? a different one?) was where it started to get confusing. Also, it's been a while since I've read the books, so I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that being a Silvertongue doesn't confer the ability to understand other languages; you'd have to read yourself into a book, write that you could understand other languages, and then read that, I think. I'm going to add a new thing to the application, as well, asking who has read Inkheart and who has not.

Also, you may want to double-check the rules.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:10 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Oh, ok. It's been awhile since I've read the series, and I've seemed to have lost my copy of Inkspell. I'll fix it now.

Goodbye
"

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:01 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Better, and thanks for reading the rules :p . I only have one more suggestion, which is a result from nitpicking more than anything. Since your character is a Silvertongue, and only the Bookkeeper can (at least to start out) be both, your character didn't have a way to read the ninjas back into their book. Maybe his brother could have been a writer? That way, he wrote, you read, etc. It would also make your character aware of the presence of both.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I guess that'll work. Thanks.

Goodbye
"

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]