It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Has Anyone Else Noticed This? 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah, talking on the internet actually improved my spelling and grammar, it depends where you hang around. I remember when I was 12 and joined here I typed like an idiot, and Sparrow gave out to me for it...and I've never looked back. 8-)

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:56 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I actually encourage some of my friends to go buy dictionaries so they can expand their vocabularies. There's someone I know that gets confused when I use 'big words', but they're words that aren't even that uncommon. I don't remember an example right now, but it was a word like 'indecent'.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:15 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

DNA wrote:
I actually encourage some of my friends to go buy dictionaries so they can expand their vocabularies. There's someone I know that gets confused when I use 'big words', but they're words that aren't even that uncommon. I don't remember an example right now, but it was a word like 'indecent'.

Indecent? INDECENT?! Oh gods, what has the world come to.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Patchy wrote:
Yeah, talking on the internet actually improved my spelling and grammar, it depends where you hang around. I remember when I was 12 and joined here I typed like an idiot, and Sparrow gave out to me for it...and I've never looked back. 8-)

I can third this, I suppose depends on what parts of the internet you use.

DNA wrote:

The people I'm around are offended by 'big words' and think that I'm attempting to insult their Intellectual ability, giving them a dictionary would probably result in them punching me in the face. I mean I'm not even implying any form of an insult, nor am I conveying negative feelings toward their abilities, I just wish they knew what I'm talking about when I speak naturally.

Coliflowerz wrote:
Indecent? INDECENT?! Oh gods, what has the world come to.

Oh God, that's bad...

Choices, choices...

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:54 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

If it matters any much to the context, the person I'm referring to is a 12-year-old girl. And it wasn't the word 'indecent'; it was a word with a complexity level similar to the word 'indecent'.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

DNA wrote:
If it matters any much to the context, the person I'm referring to is a 12-year-old girl. And it wasn't the word 'indecent'; it was a word with a complexity level similar to the word 'indecent'.

Best to start early then, exposure is very important for for development.
Don't get exposed to new words and forms of thought and you stay on the same level of abillity as before.

Choices, choices...

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:54 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Noob wrote:
Best to start early then, exposure is very important for for development.
Don't get exposed to new words and forms of thought and you stay on the same level of abillity as before.

You have encouraged me to use my enhanced vocabulary on other people more often. Thank you!

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:24 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If you say, " If I was..." instead of "if I were..." stfu. Language and grammar are evolutionary. The most constant thing to modern language and people who speak it is simplification. People seek every means to simplify the language they speak and communicate with others as quickly as possible. Text speak and abbreviations will eventually become standard and accepted by modern English.

Few people are true experts of English grammar (think of the last time you said "whom" in conversation). While you may not like it for reasons of your own, grammar and spelling will change to satisfy what's popular rather than what is right.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:28 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

DatVu wrote:
If you say, " If I was..." instead of "if I were..." stfu.

Oh, subjective tense, how misunderstood you are. :(

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:44 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Frost wrote:
DatVu wrote:
If you say, " If I was..." instead of "if I were..." stfu.

Oh, subjective tense, how misunderstood you are. :(

Given how it's called the subjunctive tense, I agree - it's very misunderstood.

edit: dangit I should really look at the last post date before I say stuff

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:39 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Revisiting people my age that are incredibly stupid, I'm going to keep my stories exceedingly brief. Out of the people in my class (I'm in 8th grade), three I can truthfully say share at least some of my interests and are as intelligent or more intelligent than I am. One person like politics, one likes playing instruments and biology, one likes biology and paleontology. My interests are different-- psychology, toxicology, virology, astrophysics, astronomy (NOT astrology. It's the difference between a science and complete :censored:), etc. We also all like older music; classical, jazz, and music from the '60s through the '80s. But anyway, there are two complete idiots in my class. One of them could not fathom the concept of a foreign country. We had to spend half the period explaining that yes, Canada is a foreign country, and that every country besides the one we reside in is foreign. The other had to be told that it is in fact possible to drive from our current location to New England, and that New England isn't a part of England. They both thought New Mexico wasn't a state and that it was a part of Mexico.
I hate idiots.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:41 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

One reason to make you pay attention in class:
I failed World History as a Sophomore, (only because I had horrible teachers, one didnt do his job, the other was complete bitch the whole time) so I'm now retaking it as a Senior. Sounds like fun, right? Hahahah- NO!
We have an attention hogging, degenerated ba***rd, possibly mentally *ahem* challenged moron. Two months ago, a friend had a seizure during class. We left the room and went to an adjacent room. While we were in there, he's running around, making unnessacary noises, and being completely disrespectful. Finally, I got tired of his bs.
"Dude, can sit down and shut up? One of your classmates just had a seizure. This isn't a time for your personality and I.Q. to be shown in public."
He walks right up to me and stands next me, like he's dominant or something. *insert random 'come at me, bro' joke here*
I swear to god, if stupidity was a disease, he is Patient -100, not even Patient Zero.

Goodbye
"

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:29 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I hate this stupid glitch. Did I ask for two posts? No. I only asked for one.

Goodbye
"

Last edited by Haunted Water on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:30 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Double post. You're done. Your life as a Psypoke member has just come to an end.
Well, the majority of people are more or less idiots. It isn't connected with their grammar or vocabulary or even their general knowledge. It's just that they are incapable of understanding even the simplest things if they don't think it will somehow promote them in their eyes and in the eyes of the world. In other words, people's huge egos and their vanity cause them their short-shightedness and thick-headedness.

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Because intelligence has become a standard by how people type on the internet. <_<

Most people don't understand the rules of grammar and never have, because it doesn't pertain to them. Before dictionaries; spelling, grammar, and capitalization were never standard. Most historical (older) texts you read in higher education have been "proof-read." If you read a first edition book from the smartest minds in history, you will find a plethora of spelling (and capitalization) errors in that book.

English is a complex and diverse language with more words than any other language, each with a myriad of origins. By generic accounts, it has 600,000 words and 440,000 technical terms. Unlike phonetic languages (as German), we have spelling bees, because in English, spelling is **** HARD. It follows no definite rule.

Samurott: Failing a subject is always a product of someone else's lack of effort. Pedagogy in all subjects MUST cater to every student who takes it!!!!!! You're so smart, but you failed because your teacher wasn't smart enough to teach it!! In reality, you are smarter than him! I can't believe he has a job. I'm with you, Brother!

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, I never said that bad spelling is solid proof of stupidity. Just a lack of effort. After all, English isn't my native language. But I don't think I'm bad at it.
Concerning teachers: some people are so obviously incapable of teaching that I can't understand how they survived University. And of course they destroy their students.
I've had such teachers. Lucky thing that I already knew their lessons better than them. :)

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The teacher does not only fail at teaching correctly, but is ignorant with it as well. Just the other day I was seeking to take care of the two plagues in the class by seeing exactly how much damage a keyboard can do to a human head (we were in a computer lab). Why? I was yelling at both of them and they were yelling back, the teacher yells my name three times and stated that she shouldn't have to do that for a Senior. She tried to seperate me from them but, due to the fact that one's presence sickens me, and the one who I mentioned last time's existence sickens me/disturbs me/annoys me/disappoints me/drives me **** insane, I left the room. Her reasoningexcuse was that she was oblivious for the last three months.
I just think she is incompetent.

Goodbye
"

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:54 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
I've only had one incompetent teacher-- my 7th grade pre-al teacher. She had no control over absolutely anyone, the lessons she taught were way to slow paced, and it was a miracle that I managed to get as high a score on the math portion of the annual statewide mandated test (299/300). Her utter lack of strictness hurt her immensely. Her way of trying to get the undesirables to quiet the **** down was turning off the projector and giving the front row a less than semi-stern look. I've never wanted to transfer out of a class more, and I'm utterly clueless as to how she got her job, but she was finally removed this year. Good riddance.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:12 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

You also have to remember though, not ALL of it is the teachers fault, well yes there are some, or many, teachers not qualified for the job, some good teachers are too restricted by parents and schoolboard to do anything. Someone here mentioned the kids that feel like there better then everyone, act out, swear at teachers and such, often times they can get away with it because the teachers are too afraid to do anything, they send the student to detention, parents call and freak out, if a teacher raises their voice, some parents might sue, if a teacher touches a student in any way, shape or form, sued and fired. When say touched i dont mean sexual, i mean they cant grab a students arm to stop the student from beating the crap out of another, teachers have no power anymore because the parents wont let them, and the kids are starting to realize this.

Then there is the education. at the highschool i went to i dont think a single student in the 7th or 8th grade failed, not because they were smart, but because from what i understand the teachers were almost forced to push them through with D's, schools worry so much about the students moving up, they dont take the time to make sure they know the material. As i graduated i looked back at the 7th and 8th graders and realized how screwed that school is, i know the teachers there, they were almost all good teachers, at least me and my class understood and learned everything, in my school it wasnt the teachers, but the people in charge and the students.

i think in the long run most of the problem goes back to the parents, to many parents not knowing how to raise there kids properly, to afraid to use physical discipline, im not talking beatings, just the occasional swat. Parents are either too incompetent, too afraid, or just plain not ready to be parents. parents that dont try to teach there kids, to make sure they treat others right and know how to act. They need to realize, they are parents, not friends, they are not supposed to make sure that their child is always happy, they are supposed to make sure they are ready.

Only during the [color=#FFFF00]day[/color] can you truly hide in the [color=#000000]shadows[/color]
help my pokefarm
[url=http://pokefarm.org/_ext/PDZTvDZO5GJmm][img]http://pokefarm.org/_ext/BDZTvDZO5GZs1GROzGQmm[/img][/url]
member of the nuzlock challenge

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:53 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I blame cell phone texting.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I live in a relatively good neighborhood and most places I go to volunteer than have me interact with elementary school level kids are with kids that go to decent schools (private schools or well-run public schools). I'd say about 75% of those kids are decent for their age, even going back to when I was their age (I'm 17, 18 in 2 months). MY main problem is 3rd graders cussing or overusing words like swag, yolo, twerk, and those that are obsessed with rated M games and rappers. Not even the mainstream wrappers but people I've never heard of that swear 90% of their songs. Those are the kids that are the problems but I know there are still good kids out there.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:28 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

vaporterra wrote:
MY main problem is 3rd graders cussing or overusing words like swag, yolo, twerk, and those that are obsessed with rated M games and rappers. .

Oh my god yes, I totally agree. I know so many kids like that. My neighbor is in fourth grade and he swears more than I do.

Also, regarding kids who don't use grammar properly, I don't think you should blame a teacher for that as much as you should blame the kid for not caring, because they're taught the right way, the kids just don't care about what they're saying or how they're saying it.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Haunted Water wrote:
I cant say I get what you are saying, mostly because I tl;dr'ed half of it. But I hate people who say 'Oh, I didnt do my homework last night because I have ADD (or ADHD)'. Why? Because I ask 'Do you take medicine?'
'No.'
'Yeah. So shut up. I did my homework. Youre just **** lazy.'
I shouldnt have to be punished because Mr. Drop-out F*****ce back there uses something that was never diagnosed as an excuse.
He gets the douche bag of the year award!

As someone who has ADHD, no longer takes meds, and who doesn't turn in homework (it gets done, but not turned in), your post saddens me.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:58 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

How so? you do realize that ADHD isn't as common as you think, right? Not calling you a liar, but I'm tired of those who act apathetical and use a disorder that they do not have as an excuse, meanwhile, I who actually does have ADHD, has to fight for it because I don't use it as an excuse.

Goodbye
"

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Haunted Water wrote:
How so?

It doesn't anymore. Without knowing that you had ADHD it seemed like you were one of those people who think ADHD doesn't actually exist and that anyone who has it is just a lazy nub who needs to get their stuff together and stop using ADHD as an excuse.
Haunted Water wrote:
you do realize that ADHD isn't as common as you think, right?

I don't think it's all that common.
I agree with the rest of your post and have nothing to say about it.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next