It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 First Person Shooters 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Okay, I know I can't possibly be alone here when I say that I freaking love first person shooters. So, I decided to make a discussion thread about the genre.
First person shooters date as far back as the days of the NES and SNES, with games like Wolfenstein and Doom, but eventhough Doom was very popular, the FPS genre failed to catch on, and it died until the end of the Bit Wars. Well, not technically, since CoD 1 came out on the PlayStation in 2001, and that was when the 64 was finally being phased out, replaced by the GameCube, and simutaneously getting rid of cartridge-based games on home consoles, not to mention this was the last time where the better half of the original three (Nintendo, Sega, Atari) were producing consoles.
At this point in time, gaming was revolutionized and more aggressive gaming was thrown into the mix. MoH premiered not too long after, and voila! The FPS genre was making a comeback. But then came the next generation, GameCube, PS2, and the original Xbox. The FPS genre exploded. CoD and MoH fans chose sides, SOCOM entered, as did a lot of games based off of Tom Clancy novels, like Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon, and a few independent titles came and went as well.
So here we are in 2012 with MoH attempting a comeback with Warfighter, and CoD 9 is on its way. SOCOM is just chilling in the back doing whatever right now, and Ghost Recon is barely hanging on.

So, now that I summed up the history of First Person Shooters, what are your favorites? What do you like about them? Why do you like to play them?
Discuss!

Goodbye
"

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Quote:
Call of Duty is a first-person shooter video game ... published by Activision in 2003.[2]

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs is a tactical third-person shooter video game ... released on August 27, 2002,

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell is a series of award-winning stealth video games, the first of which was released in 2002,

. One such title, and the progenitor of the genre's wider mainstream acceptance and popularity was Doom, released the following year and perhaps the most influential first-person shooter. Half-Life, released in 1998, enhanced the narrative and puzzle elements, and along with its 2004 sequel Half-Life 2, showcases the considerable development of the genre's potential.[1][2] GoldenEye 007 (1997) was a first landmark first-person shooter for home consoles, with the Halo series heightening the console's commercial and critical appeal as a platform for first-person shooter titles.

?_?

Besides how you completely brushed aside Doom and its sequel, which were HUGE PC games, I find it completely bizarre that you did not mention Goldeneye, Half Life or Halo in your post at all, when these games were all much more directly responsible for making the FPS genre so mainstream and the other games that you do actually mention were merely riding in their wake.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:33 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I'm not into multiplayer FPS (partially because my Internet sucks so much that I can't play 'em) and if I were I wouldn't be going for the realistic war-based ones. I love Half-Life and BioShock though. And Metroid Prime. And what little you can get out of Left 4 Dead offline.

I own DOOM but haven't played much of it. I need to do that eventually. And BulletStorm.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

@Frost: I do know I missed some, but it was the games in the PS2 era that gave rise to modern gaming. Saying all James Bond are FPS isn't true, because a few are third person and don't have a first person.
I didn't mention Halo for some reason, and I will admit to saying why the hell did I not.
But Doom was the first FPS, and I did mention it as such.
SOCOM is impossible to finish in third person.
But you forgot about the independents.
Black, which was on PS2, and was way better than any other FPS at the time, and it essentially broke the back of MoH.
Trust me, I know my FPS.

Goodbye
"

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:15 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Frost wrote:
?_?

Besides how you completely brushed aside Doom and its sequel, which were HUGE PC games, I find it completely bizarre that you did not mention Goldeneye, Half Life or Halo in your post at all, when these games were all much more directly responsible for making the FPS genre so mainstream and the other games that you do actually mention were merely riding in their wake.

And the Quake series, and Duke Nukem 3D, and Ken's Labyrinth, and Catacomb 3-D, and Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, but to name a few more; some more well known than others. ;)

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:50 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

My favorites FPS:
~Resistance
~TimeShift

I'm not a huge fan of FPS, but they were my favorites. I don't like CoD series.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:29 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

tripehound wrote:
And the Quake series, and Duke Nukem 3D, and Ken's Labyrinth, and Catacomb 3-D, and Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, but to name a few more; some more well known than others. ;)

I don't know any of those.
And to help prove a point: MoH came out in 1999, Frost. MoH never rode in their wake. And Doom wasn't just a PC game. It was on the Genesis, SNES, Jaguar, and I think NES.

Goodbye
"

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Still no mention of Half-Life 2 or BioShock either

You are doing yourself a disservice every day that you continue not having played these games they are some of the best games that exist aaaaaaaa

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Samurott wrote:
And to help prove a point: MoH came out in 1999, Frost. MoH never rode in their wake.

Halo was the only one of the three series that I mentioned doesn't pre-date 1999. Goldeneye came out in 1997, and the first Half-Life came out the next year. So an FPS in 1999 is still riding in their wake. Also I wasn't talking about whatever the "James Bond series" is in my post but rather Goldeneye the singular title for the N64 that also brought about the Perfect Dark series. It was a big game that crossed over to mainstream gaming just like Half-Life and Halo did and some of these other series haven't to the same extent.

Samurott wrote:
And Doom wasn't just a PC game. It was on the Genesis, SNES, Jaguar, and I think NES.

All of which were watered down, unpopular ports. The first part of the original Doom was freeware for MS-DOS and it was hugely successful to the point that Doom 2 was released commercially for the PC and became even more successful - thus, most of Doom 1 and 2's success came from the PC gaming market. It's like how you can say that Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat were on the Genesis or the SNES; sure, that's true... but in reality it's the arcade versions of each that created a frenzy and broke ground for their genre.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:51 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

But with Wolfenstein, which I mentioned, that game is credited with modernizing the genre. Espescially since it was practically a prototype for Doom.

Goodbye
"

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:11 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Wolfenstein is definitely the precursor to Doom in terms of gameplay but I don't remember there being as much commotion surrounding it during its time. Doom had much more graphic violence combined with Satanic imagery, and a much wider player base, so it attracted much more controversy that helped push it to mainstream coverage, especially when video games were already being targeted for their content thanks to Mortal Kombat.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:02 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I guess you got a point there.
We could argue this until the trumpets sound, and Judgement Day comes around, and all the way through the following post-apopalyptic world run by machines which would eventually be overthrew by John Connor. Point is, there will probably be no end to this.
But building off your claim of Doom's fame, we can also bring in Borderlands.
Borderlands was claimed to be the first ever "cartoonesque" FPS, but a look at the PS2's FPS library will show that XIII, an FPS based off the comic, is similar to a comic. It's a first person shooter that is "cartoonesque".

Goodbye
"

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:26 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Samurott wrote:

Borderlands was claimed to be the first ever "cartoonesque" FPS

Who would say that? Who doesn't know Team Fortress 2?

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I know, that's my point. I actually had an all-night gaming session with four other gamers, who were more hardcore than me, and they said that. And so did a few of my friends. Everytime my reaction was "...what?".

Goodbye
"

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:01 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Borderlands is the only FPS I can stand playing, I actually can't stand FPS or anything first person in general in gaming but for some reason was able to deal with borderlands. I have played 3 games in the Halo series briefly which were Halo 1, 2 & ODST, the later which I played the longest. Thus of the games coming out in the near future that are FPS games of any kind, Borderlands 2 is the only one I have any interest in, for shame but that's fine with me...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:35 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Borderlands is a great game, don't get me wrong, but what in my right mind made me relate it to the s***fest of an FPS known as XIII? Seriously?!?

Goodbye
"

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:57 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I was a pretty harsh FPS hater when I was younger, but after awhile I started to have a huge respect for the genre... if done right. And FPS can go either two ways in my opinion: absolute rampage or fear. When an FPS is absolute rampage, it can be a lot of fun. The sound of guns emptying their shells can be very satisfying, whether or not they're traditional or futuristic. A bullet piercing an enemy's flesh, blood or not (sound fx are much more important!), can be incredibly satisfying. For me, FPS's are a great way to relieve some stress. That, and some DOA.

What FPS's can do really well, which I don't see utilized much, is fear. I remember my first FPS ever: Metroid Prime: Hunters. It wasn't meant to be scary, but it scared me :censored: less. The thought of being unable to see what's behind me and having to slowly pick off my enemies when they swarm me with careful aiming, was terrifying. That concept alone can make FPS horror games very, very frightening. Considering the fact that an first-person perspective is a very good way of linking the player to their avatar, there's a lot of potential for FPS horrors.

I don't play FPS's competitively because I feel like there isn't much in control. I want to be able to dodge attacks, and not get picked off by a sniper at any given moment. That is nitpicking, but that kinda turned me off when playing competitively. But they're still fun.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]