It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Viewing Pokemon Species as a Particular Gender 
THE POWER IS ON!

We all know Pokemon have had genders since Generation II. And we all know that sometimes the gender ratios of particular Pokemon can be a little messed up (I'm looking at you, male Gardevoir). Going purely by a Pokemon's appearance, what gender do you consider it in your own mind, regardless of what Gamefreak says?

I mostly ask because I fill up with unnecessary amounts of rage whenever I see people refer to obviously female Pokemon like Lilligant, Chansey, etc., with male pronouns. And rather than a clunky list of every evolutionary family ever, I'm just going to post a few bunches of families and which ones I think are males (blue), females (pink), and neutral/either/neither in particular (white):

Chikorita/all other starter lines
Butterfree/Beedrill/Beautifly/Dustox
Whimsicott/Lilligant
Roserade/Bellossom/Vileplume/Victrebeel
Leavanny/Scolipede
Tauros/Bouffalant/Miltank/Kangaskhan
Murkrow/Honchkrow/Misdreavus/Mismagius
Electabuzz/Magmar/Jynx
Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres
Entei/Raikou/Suicune
Dewgong/Cloyster/Walrein
Regirock/Regice/Registeel
Azelf/Mesprit/Uxie
Mewtwo/Mew/Celebi/Jirachi/Manaphy/Shaymin/Victini/Meloetta
Cobalion/Terrakion/Virizion/Keldeo
Alakazam/Gardevoir/Gallade/Gothitelle/Reuniclus
Every Fighting-type Pokemon, even Medicham and Mienshao
Arcanine/Ninetales
Aipom/Ambipom
Simisage/Simisear/Simipour
Golduck/Swanna
Staryu/Starmie
Goldeen/Seaking
Mr. Mime/Mime Jr.
Luvdisc/Alomomola
Magikarp/Gyarados/Feebas/Milotic
Eevee/Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon/Umbreon/Espeon/Leafeon/Glaceon

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Everyone know that some animals can change their gender.
So what about the Pokemon?
Some of them, like shellos (?) could change their gender to breed easily.
Or, if you find a female shiny shellos and you want a male one, just switch genders.
I know there is already {ditto} who count as ''Two Genders''... but he's alone.

What about: Sneasel/Weavile?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I don't think about it all that much and will generally use the proper pronoun on an individual basis and "it" for ambiguous ones. Also covers genderless Pokémon depending on what their nickname would suggest, if they've got one. Except if an instance that's for most intents and purposes ambiguous, but has a gender difference. Like Smash Bros. Pikachu.

But not Torchic. I don't understand the butt dot and wouldn't imagine most of anyone including it to specify a male even if the Torchic were intended to be... nor can I imagine anyone citing it as a debate point regarding an artist's intentions. Are buttholes considered manly? I didn't know that.

Although sometimes I come up with the name before I hatch the Pokémon and hope with all my heart I can get a good one with the gender matching the name. For some Pokémon, it's really hard to come up with a fitting name for one gender. Female Quagsire, for example.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Jiggz. A lot of times, they refer to Jigglypuff in SSB as male. Jiggz and espescially Wigglytuff seem more feminine. Also, I've always kind of viewed Torchic's line as feminine and Oshawott's line seems feminishy with a touch of masculinaty as it progresses. This could also be because my Oshawott was female when I started playing Black, so I kind of view them like that.
One that is neutral to me is Sandslash. I've always called it Cutekiller because it looks kind of adorable, but it just destroys anything in its path.
I guess it's mostly up to perspective.

Goodbye
"

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:54 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Interesting list, Frost... I agree with most, but a few I'm curious in your reasoning. Meganium male? Aren't Kangaskhans mothers? Azelf a male? Jirachi a male? I'm not attacking your list, I'm just curious.

And honestly, I don't care with two exceptions: Roselia and Gardevoir. I never catch male Ralts in Emerald for that reason.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:08 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Unless I listed two or more members of the same evolutionary family, when I said one member in my post, I meant the entire family. So Chikorita, Bayleef and Meganium to me are female but all of the other starters are male.

Kangaskhan is a 100% female species HOWEVER she not only has an outrageously deep, gruff voice in the anime dub, but she really doesn't even... seem that feminine to me? She's just this big, bulky thing with a baby in her pouch, and she doesn't even acknowledge it in her animations or anything like that.

For the pixies, I think it's a combination of their colors and the characters they linked with in the anime. Mesprit is pink and had a connection with Dawn in the anime, while Azelf is blue and connected with Ash. Uxie is a little more neutral but I tend to envision him like an wise old man stereotype... all he needs is the beard. And while I find Jirachi male, it's a cute little boy kind of male rather than a big tough Nidoking sort of male.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I try to refer to all of them either by name, or "it," simply due to not ever knowing what gender I'm dealing with.

Also, referring to them as "he" or "she," to me at least, gives them a sort of implication that they're living beings, and should to be treated with the appropriate courtesies of being such. And they're not, and they shouldn't be.

It's like referring to the King of Hearts in a Bicycle deck as a "he." It's not a "he," it's an "it."

I dunno; this concept is alien to me. :lol:

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:04 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
This subject, yes...

These are some of the pokemon I must see as female, period;

Kanto = Vulpix family, Jigglypuff family, Clefairy family, Ponyta family, Articuno, Moltres, Flareon, Horsea, Goldeen, Dewgong, Lapras, Dratini & Dragonair, Mew
Johto = Chikorita family(though I could understand Meganium being Male I guess), Espeon, Misdreavus family, Togetic, Mareep & Flaaffy, Bellossom, Hoppip family, Suicune
Hoenn = Torchic & Combusken, Beautifly, Kirlia & Gardevoir(who doesn't say Gardevoir? Ralts was close to being here too), Skitty family(75% ratio is not making up for it), Mawile, Plusle, Roselia, Altaria, Gorebyss, Luvdisc, Jirachi
Sinnoh = Cherubi family, Buneary family, Glameow family, Finneon family, Togekiss(barely), Glaceon, Mesprit, Phione, Manaphy, Shaymin Land Forme
Unova = Servine, Purrloin family, Simipour, Munna family, Audino, Maractus, Cinccino, Gothita family, Swanna, Deerling, Frillish, Alomomola, Mienshao, Virizion, Reshiram, Meloetta

I only listed the pokemon that weren't female 100% of the time, I will list what pokemon I must see as male at a later time...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:52 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, time to put in my opinion~

Alot of what has already been said covers how I feel, though there are a few exceptions:

Mew I see Mew being female. It just seems right to me. Also, it's called the "mother" of all Pokemon in it's pokedex entry.

Absol For some reason, I've always viewed Absol as female.

And that's all I can think of at the time.
If I think of anymore, I'll add them~

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:49 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I have always seen Zoroark and Zoura as females but I don't agree with Servine looking like a female :?

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:49 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

When I knew little about Pokemon and I didn't know that there could be both Male Oddish and Female Oddish, for example, I did have Pokemon that I felt were always male (Machop, Rhyhorn, Geodude, Charmander, etc.), Pokemon that were always female (Vulpix, Clefairy, Poliwag, Horsea, etc.), and some that could be complete toss ups (Bellsprout, Tentacool, Drowzee, Eevee, etc.). But then I got into the video games (Generation III) and then after that I started accepting the existance of female Heracross and male Corsola. I admit there's still a few that will always seem a bit wierd to me like female Machamp and male Gardevoir, but now you won't see me going around saying "all Wigglytuff should be female".

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:05 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

My genders for the Kalos Pokemon lines (just listing the first form means I think the entire line is the same):

Chespin/Fennekin/Froakie
Bunnelby/Diggersby
Fletchling
Scatterbug
Litleo
Flabebe/Floette/Florges
Skiddo
Pancham
Furfrou

Espurr
Honedge
Spritzee/Swirlix
Inkay/Malamar
Binacle/Barbaracle
Skrelp/Dragalge/Clauncher/Clawitzer
Helioptile/Heliolisk
Tyrunt/Tyrantrum/Amaura/Aurorus
Sylveon, goddess most high <3
Hawlucha
Dedenne
Carbink
Goomy/Sliggoo/Goodra
Klefki
Phantump/Trevenant/Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist
Bergmite
Noibat/Noivern
Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde
DIANCIE <333

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:42 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My first Snivy was a female, I thus view them as such.
For the most part, I don't actually mentally assign genders based on species appearance. Particularly not consciously. It might be because of my second run-through on Platinum, where I got Dasher and Psycho. Well...

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:38 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I just want to say that it feels like I made this topic stop. Yes, this is double-posting but I'm also facedesking because I'm not good at being social, so yeah IhavenoideawhatIwantedtosayanymore ahhhhhhhh-

Resident shipper girl of Psypokes. Also writes noncanon fanfic, Forest of Secrets may not actually be worked on again, though. . . much too busy.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711

Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]