It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 A question about EVs... 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

So after years and years of playing these games, I've decided to try and level up some pokemon using EVs. I read the section on this site and I understand how they work, except I have a few questions.

Does it matter whether I start with a pokemon at level 5 or one I catch in the wild at level 30-40? As I understand, newly bred pokemon and freshly caught pokemon both have 0 EVs, so technically it shouldn't matter, but does acquiring EVs make a difference while leveling (thus making the level 5 more beneficial to EV training than a level 35)?

I'd like to do this on a Marowak with an adamant nature, so I plan on breeding a new one (my current is level 43).

Any help at all would be appreciated, thanks!

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Nope, no difference between EV-ing a freshly-hatched or freshly-caught Pokémon. Although when it's at a higher level and you start EV training, the stat gains at level-up are a lot more dramatic, like making up for lost time.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Cool thanks, that's what I was hoping for!

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:15 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Edit: Post rescinded; got my terminology wrong. Thought I was explaining one thing but was explaining another.

Last edited by tripehound on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

But on the other hand, it takes so much EXP to get from the later levels to 100 that you probably don't have to worry about that so much, especially if EV training against wild Pokémon at low levels.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Yeah, right now I'm killing Ghastly and Haunters in the tower in Lavender town to get my special EVs for my Lapras (and now my new lvl 9 Abra with exp. share). Though, I'm actually just here to get a thick club ><

My lapras is level 46 and I can't see myself hitting even level 50 before maxing out my S. Attack EVs, it takes so many of them to level me up.

Edit: 40 Cubones and 5 Marowaks laters, I got my Thick Club woo! lol. It was especially bad because I don't know what happened to my Thief TM, so I had to capture all of them.

Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:34 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

tripehound wrote:
If you're interested in getting the most out of your respective Pokémon, keep in mind that if you start with a higher level, it's likely you will need to invest some money into EV-boosting items like Calcium, Iron, etc. in order to make up for the lost "childhood" period. Pokémon that start after Lv. 20 or so are likely to hit the Lv. 100 cap before their EV's will be maxed from battles.

This is why many people prefer to "Train 'em when they're young." A Lv. 40 Raticate caught in the wild starts off with no EV's and nearly half as many levels left with which to work, as opposed to a newly hatched Rattata.

I've never had that experience either. If you're EV training, then you're likely fighting pokemon under level 25 (most wild pokemon are lower level in the areas where one type of EV is dominant). It would take around 2000 EXP per pokemon (assuming 512 EVs) to get to 1,000,000 EXP. If you use a Macho Brace (Which you should), you only need to fight ~250 pokemon (4000 EXP average), and that's if they're only giving +1 EVs. When I've been training from level 5, my pokemon rarely get up to level 25 or 30 before I finish.

The primary reason most people start at level 5 is that that's the level eggs hatch at. About half the pokemon I've EV trained have also been bred to get really good stats.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm not 100% sure how useful the Macho Brace really is when I'm always using an Exp. Share. If you're starting from level 5 and you need DEF, you'll typically have to fight Tangela's south of Pallet Town, which are around level 25. Even with Paras' in Mt. Moon, they're still 10+.

So this just occurred to me while typing: can you equip Macho Brace on your main pokemon, Exp. Share on your lvl 5 and get the bonus EV's?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:32 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

No, I think that would only end up giving the battling pokemon extra EVs.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Ok here's another question: if I lose track of how many EVs I've trained so far, will going over the 255 limit cut into my max amount of 510? Like, will I use up 300 EVs on HP but only get effects for 252? I sorta lost count around ~140 on my cubone on these dumb Dunsparces, and I'm hoping I can be safe and just say I'm at 140 again (though realistically I may be at 145-146).

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

You can't go over 255. A Pokémon will stop gaining EVs in a stat if it has 255 in it.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

So if I play it safe because I lost count, and go to like 300 it won't matter? I can go on to the next stat and actually make tally marks and get 255? lol

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

That's what I'm sayin', you can't go to 300. Once you hit 255, that's it. EVs in that stat stop getting added to the grand total.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]