It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Censorship and Being Politically Correct 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

So the other day, my friends and I were singing along with the new Adele song (of which the name escapes me) and realized that they edited out the word 'higher'. I rarely noticed that it alluded to drug use, but once it was edited out, I realized its use immediately.
That's not all.
Around Christmastime last year, I accidentally said 'Merry Christmas' to my Islamic friend. Before I could apoligize, she stopped me and said that if I would've said 'Happy Holidays' instead, that would have offended her. Her reasoning?
Because its an oppresion of the Right of Free Religion.
Seriously. How far do they have to go with censoring and being "politically correct" before it becomes too much?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:58 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

*Remembers Samurott going insane over the nonsense that was being "taught" to him earlier today*
Yeah, I hear you. It's crazy. I know we try not to offend, but what if, in a sense, we offend those who we are trying not to by doing so? If that makes sense.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:14 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I actually say Happy Holidays for the entirety of February because I find Valentine's Day offensive.
It's a nice and hilarious way to poke a hole in a flawed argument.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:58 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Why does it offend you?
Super_Typhlosion wrote:
*Remembers Samurott going insane over the nonsense that was being "taught" to him earlier today*

That **** pissed me off.
So, apparently, I could be wrong, but there are ways to offend African-Americans other than calling them "black", which apparently, is okay if theyre in the Black Coaches' Association. Same for African-Americans.

ARE YOU S****ING ME?!?
How the **** are we supposed to know the difference between the two? Just asking "Are you black or African-American?" makes me feel racist. And stupid.
But, I could be wrong. Because the same website that told me this also says that 9/11 is, in fact, a conspiracy, and they also support anti-american behavior, which is directed at economic policy. Yeah, "USAnti-heroes"? Go screw your ear to a door for all I care.
I think we've already gone too far with this.

Goodbye
"

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I always say 'black' because I feel the term 'African-American' can be misleading.

Quote:
Why does it offend you?

I find it's a bit vapid and it also serves as a painful jab for people who don't have significant others. (Singles Awareness Day isn't as much of a joke name as you think it might be.)

Besides, why confine the celebration of love to just one day per year? (Yeah, I know what you're thinking. You can use this argument to justify not celebrating any holiday. And, truth be told...I do. I'm a bit of a stick-in-the-mud; I think Easter is the only holiday I celebrate, if birthdays don't count.)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I took a vaction in Texas over the holidays last year, and EVERYONE said 'Merry Christmas' there. I guess it just depends on where you live.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:24 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I've never heard anyone here say Happy Holidays as far as I can remember, though I remember someone telling me that kids' shows had started calling Christmas trees "Holiday trees", which is totally ridiculous.

People are just trying to get offended at this point, I can't believe it got that far.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:00 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

DNA wrote:
I actually say Happy Holidays for the entirety of February because I find Valentine's Day offensive.

Couldn't agree more.

sad but rad

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:28 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

*gives hug of consolation*

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]