It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Wild Pokemon encounter rates 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Having just finished Pokemon White, I found it ridiculous how the wild Pokemon encounter rate has seemed to jump up by a lot. In past games, I never found it as annoying or anything, but in these games wild battles seemed more like tedious roadblocks rather than "oh I wonder what Pokemon can be found in these areas?" It just seems like every time I take my -first- step into any patch of tall grass, I'm instantly greeted with a Pokemon battle, and even when I turn to change directions, bam! and another one sneaks up on me. I wouldn't really care if this didn't happen so often, but I think coupled with the abundance of annoying Pokemon (I seem to be running into Fake Out Liepards or Sturdy Boldore all the time..) I've found myself overloading my bag with Max Repels.

I know about the effects of Running shoes too, but is it just me, or does everyone else feel the same way? Or am I just missing the whole entire point of the RPG? Does anyone know what the percentage of triggering a wild Pokemon battle is?

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, I can personally tell you, the ratio is 1:FFFFFFUUUUUUU--
But, yeah. In White Forest, Drago found a glitch where everytime you enter the grass you have to face a pokemon. She pointed it out to me, and I was like, "O rly?"
In Black, it doesnt seem so tedious. But Celestial Tower is very annoying. The only thing that helps is the third floor (?) glitch.

Goodbye
"

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:57 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I think it's gone up to its current crazy rate starting with Generation IV. When I was writing the HGSS walkthrough, I was disgusted by how often I got into wild battles, although I did have the running shoes enabled. My guess? Maybe there's fewer tiles of tall grass in the new games because the sprites are bigger and the overworld is 2.5D, and the encounter rate was increased to compensate for less grass to walkthrough.

Or, Gamefreak hates us. Either or!

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:34 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yeah, while playing Black it seemed like the encounter rates were higher. In some places (like that forest right before the big bridge) you only had to take 1-3 steps before a battle. And when you're in the city with all the water you can walk on, the rates seem really high. Thus, I have to use a max repel everytime I have to walk through five pieces of grass just to avoid two or more battles. Although in that Celestial Tower, it seemed like on average the rates were a little lower... for me at least.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:08 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Celestial Tower and surfing seemed to give me lower encounter rates. Pretty much anywhere else it was basically this: They kept popping up when I didn't want them to, and they happened a lot less when I wanted them to happen more.

And given the shenanigans I have had with confusion and paralysis (but oddly enough, not Focus Blast), I think the game hates me every so often, in its own weird way.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:57 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I never even touch the grass for fear of an annoying Pokemon battle. When I do, I'm using Max Repel or intentionally trying to find a Pokemon. Grass = no trespassing for me.

Time Zone: MDT (Mountain Daylight Time)
----------------------------------
Trading Thread
----------------------------------

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]