It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is Pokemon done for? 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

So after so many Generations, we now have a Pokemon that is an ice cream cone...seriously? Is it me, or have they run out of ideas for Pokemon? Can they make another generation? Can they come up with over 100 more Pokemon? What do you think? Should they give up?

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:35 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I have never understood what's so inherently uncreative about ice cream or garbage-based Pokemon when we've had magnets, walking piles of sludge, pinecones and letters of the English alphabet as Pokemon even since the early days.

But to answer each question: it's not just you, but it's also not every fan's opinion; no, they haven't; yes, they can and will; yes, they can because imagination is limitless and there's still plenty of things to adapt into Pokemon; the Unova Pokemon were an improvement over the last two Generations so I think they're doing just fine; and no, they shouldn't because there's still more that I find good than bad in each generation.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

See, Frost, I thought that the RSE Pokemon were designed very creatively. Many of them managed to be both cute and badass at the same time. However, I do agree that the Unova mons were a step up from the horrendous Gen 4 ones.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:16 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I happen to LIKE Vanilluxe, thank you very much.

Long story short, there are no limits to imagination. As long as the old fans continue with the series, and the new fans are willing to join it, Pokemon will continue.

I don't know why people think that the Unova Pokemon are unimaginative; I really don't. B/W is really just a tuned-up rehashed RBY, and that had Pokemon that could be considered far more unimaginative (most of them were copied and pasted from real life objects with very little, if any, edits).

Hoenn was boss, though.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:07 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

This wasn't a stab at Unova Pokemon guys. I know about the walking sludges. I know about all the bad Pokemon ideas. I put the ice cream cone there because it's one of the latest questionable Pokemon. I'm asking if this is like a last straw for Pokemon, not saying all the other regions had all good Pokemon. Unova has great Pokemon. Did you read the whole question?? This isn't me saying I don't like the new Pokemon, I know Imagination has no limits. But imagination can get so out of hand sometimes it NEEDS limits. What's next, a walking smiley face? That's all I'm saying. Maybe they're running out of GOOD ideas.
P.S. Personally, I wouldn't use what's his face ice cream cone in my party. Nor did I use Grimer or Muk.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:28 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I am absolutely with Frost. Gen 5 has some of the best Pokémon designs in a long time. If I had to rank it I'd put it under Gen 2 and 1 but above 3 and 4.

There is no way Pokémon is done for. Have you noticed they're still getting away with releasing the exact same game with three names each generation?

"But Skeleton they're not the EXACT same game"

Point proven. The longer you keep thinking like that, the longer they'll be able to keep doing the multi-version thing. And it's not cool.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm fine with Gen 5. I really am. I just don't know how many more NORMAL ideas for Pokemon they can have left. I know there's always going to be a few weird questionable Pokemon in every generation. But how bad is it going to get from now on?

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

There's still no dolphin. I don't think any is especially based on a lemur. Or a guinea pig. Or a cockroach. There could be a grass/ghost-type that looks like a Jack-O'-Lantern. Why not a grass/dragon-type that vaguely resembles the snapdragon flower? A steel-type that could be practically anything, and has a wrecking ball for a tail. No squid Pokémon. Moose? Or caribou? Of all things there seems to be a lack of lions and tigers. Maybe a kangaroo that plays up the punching and looks more like a kangaroo than Kangaskhan does. Roly poly. Hammerhead shark. Lemming. Newt, salamander. For all the monkeys there are, there isn't really a proper gorilla yet. Watermelon. Redwood tree. A suit of armor, possessed by a ghost. Gopher. Dodo. Toucan. Chimera. Inseparable, symbiotic bear and bird. Gazelle. Wolf. Canary. Crystal ball. Mole cricket. Another raccoon. Lobster. UFO. Mimic (as in, treasure chest that turns out to be a monster when you open it). If Throh and Sawk are Ryu and Ken, let's get Guile and Chun-Li in here. Slingshot. Solar system. Lynx. Flamingo. Quetzalcoatl. Wolverine. Waterbear. Genie.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

There. Now was that over 100? Nope. They gotta fill those with bad ideas.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:30 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Is that a challenge? You want more? Ohhhhhhhkey! Don't test my creativity 'cause it will BITE your face off.

Code:
1. Dolphin
2. Lemur
3. Guinea pig
4. Cockroach
5. Jack-O'-Lantern
6. Snapdragon
7. Wrecking ball
8. Squid
9. Moose
10. Caribou
11. Lion
12. Tiger
13. Kangaroo
14. Roly poly
15. Hammerhead shark
16. Lemming
17. Newt
18. Salamander
19. Gorilla
20. Watermelon
21. Redwood
22. Ghost armor
23. Gopher
24. Dodo
25. Toucan
26. Chimera
27. Banjo and Kazooie reference
28. Gazelle
29. Wolf
30. Canary
31. Crystal ball
32. Mole cricket
33. Raccoon
34. Lobster
35. UFO
36. Mimic
37. Fighting-type with shockwave attacks
38. Fighting-type with rapid kicks
39. Slingshot
40. Solar system
41. Lynx
42. Flamingo
43. Quetzalcoatl
44. Wolverine
45. Waterbear
46. Genie
47. Tapeworm
48. Mermaid
49. Gnome
50. Pegasus
51. Minotaur
52. Kraken
53. Gecko
54. Maltese terrier
55. Yeti
56. Jiangshi
57. Ball lightning
58. Iceberg
59. Snowman
60. Fireworks
61. Tarsier
62. Koala
63. Panda
64. Woodpecker
65. Dungbeetle
66. Bear trap
67. Shovel
68. Tornado
69. Elf
70. Husky
71. Willow
72. Komodo dragon
73. Porpoise
74. Boa constrictor
75. Land mine
76. Gargoyle
77. Sphinx
78. Jalapeño
79. Trumpet
80. Capybara
81. Leafy sea dragon
82. Bearded dragon
83. Aye-aye
84. Bacteriophage
85. Orangutan
86. Griffin
87. Starfish
88. Triceratops
89. Velociraptor
90. Succubus
91. Maltese terrier
92. Mountain goat
93. Donkey
94. Llama
95. Grandfather clock
96. Tumbleweed
97. Chupacabra
98. Umbrella
99. Peppermint
100. Coyote

Booyah.

You could just about double this number and, give or take, 200 is what you'd have considering evolutions. Then add in some ugly robot-looking things for legendaries. You might even have two generations' worth here. Holy crap. The possibilities are endless.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Luxray is a lion, Dodrio's a dodo, and you forgot the space station. (Yeah, that's a Fakemon my friend made that I drew. Anyway, you get the idea.)

Also, don't forget that Pokemon sometimes repeats its ideas seen in older generations, and redesigns them in newer ones. (Don't believe me? Look at Pidgeot, Noctowl, Swellow, Staraptor, and Unfezant. ALL birds. And then there's the Raticate variants...)

Long story short, there is no shortage on Pokemon's part in regards to creating new Pokemon, and there probably never will be. The pressure to create new things will always exist to continue the franchise, and since imagination is endless, Pokemon could very well go on forever.

And skeleton listed 100 ideas. Now think about that for a second. You could get 100 new Pokemon out of that...but that would be aiming pretty low. That's assuming each one has no related evolutions. Factor in evolutions and such, and that number could about double, or even more. Then the idea could be retooled for later for some other Pokemon. (Tentacruel and Jellicent are both jellyfish, Gigalith is a Golem rehash, &c.)

I don't understand what your take is, Nathan. You aren't trying to take a jab at the Unova Pokemon and say you like them, but at the same time you turn right around and point out Vanilluxe, and think they're running low on ideas. (Really, Vanilluxe as an example? This is, what, the 10th time I've seen someone say that?)

They aren't.

Far from it.

And if they're reading this, we just gave them 100 more. Cheers, brainstormers.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:49 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

To be honest, at first, I do feel weird and I disliked many of the generation V pokemon. But after playing Pokemon Black for about 2 weeks plus, I'm starting to get used to those new Pokemon designs but not all. It is just that some of us are still not used with the new pokemon designs yet. After some time, most of us will get used to this. This is quite understandable and normal. I have a great liking and interest towards cars and this applies same to cars too. Everytime a new generation of a particular car model comes out, many people will start comparing it with the previous generation model and criticizes it. At the end for most of the time, the newer model often achieved far higher sales than the previous model and this proves that all these criticizing and hating will end after people have gotten used to the new thing.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Skeleton made the point clear. They ran out of ideas after Hoenn, practically. But if you want anymore examples, one of my prized threads are on this forum. It's called Ideas For New Pokemon. There are more in there.

Goodbye
"

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:37 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Samurott wrote:
Skeleton made the point clear. They ran out of ideas after Hoenn, practically.

If anything he proved there's still a ton of things that they could turn into Pokemon and therefore there's no danger of the series running out of ideas. And there were plenty of Sinnoh and Unova Pokemon that were based on unique things that the series hadn't used before including, yes, the dreaded ice cream Pokemon.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:51 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I get the feeling it just comes down to personal preference in aesthetics in the end. People don't seem to like the idea of Vanilluxe, which doesn't bother me so much, I don't want it on my team so I don't catch it, problem solved. Meaning when I see it, Sawk uses Karate Chop and that moment of encounter the little monster turned into a positive.

The same thing people say about Vanilluxe could also be said about Chandelure, I'm not thrilled with the idea of a possessed Chandelier from the 18th century that required candles as something I throw into battle, but that doesn't mean I won't try it and my opinion won't change.

As for re-packaging the same Pokemon over, I'm perfectly Okay with it. But I think we should make a quick distinction, at least in my opinion that is, HootHoot I feel replaces Spearow, not Pidgey. If it replaced Pidgey then you wouldn't get the opportunity to catch both so early in the game. But I don't mind the idea of re-packaging, Sandile is probably a redo of the Sandshrew family? Just with an added evolution step, I don't mind though, I find the crocodiles useful and stylish.

Carracosta replaces Omastar? I don't care, Carracosta I prefer much more for aesthetic reasons.

An old team I had an idea for. Criticism is appreciated.

SoulSilver-- 1892-9981-0071

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Trading thread-- viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27567

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:27 am
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

There are plenty of options for new pokemon. I have one friend who is patiently awaiting the arrival of his pumpkin pokemon. :P
Now to answer your questions:
"Is it me, or have they run out of ideas for Pokemon?" No, they have not run out of ideas, they just had different aesthetic preferences than you.
"Can they make another generation?" Yes they can easily make another generation, but I'm hoping for a Hoenn remake to come out next so I can finally dump all my 3rd Gen games.
"Can they come up with over 100 more Pokemon?" They likely could come up with another 500 pokemon easily.
"What do you think? Should they give up?" I think they should continue making new pokemon games with new pokemon. Every generation has had some new ones I've liked, even the so-called "bad" gens.
If you don't like any of the new designs, maybe it's just time for you to move on to another game.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:40 am
THE POWER IS ON!

I think people are way too quick the jump the gun at labeling a newer Pokemon as a retread just because there's an older Pokemon with the same general body shape, also. Sure, it's true that Pidgey, Spearow, Hoothoot, Taillow, Starly and Pidove can all be labeled generically as "birds" but closer inspection reveals that they are different kinds of birds. (Pidgey's line, despite their names, more resembles ospreys or chickadees than pigeons - leaving Pidove to fill that role.)

The early game rodent archetype is the same situation - they're all "rodents" but each one is based on a different thing, from nutria to ferrets, beavers and groundhogs. Dewgong and Walrein - one is a sea lion, one is a walrus (although Spheal and Sealeo are retread species). Ariados and Galvantula - Ariados is a more typical spider while Galvantula is a tarantula, etc. I'd consider none of the newer Pokemon listed above to be ripoffs of the older ones.

It also seems that the Pokemon's types place a lot of emphasis on whether something is viewed as redundant. Like, hardly anybody in summer 2010 made a parallel between Sandile and Totodile even though to me they had more in common than the comparisons people were trying to make happen between, say, Magnemite and Klink, who debuted with Sandile. Even Galvantula/Ariados has been downplayed significantly since we learned Galvantula was part Electric.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:51 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Retreads don't bother me at all. I warmed up to gen 5 really fast after realizing how much of a reboot it actually is; its new gaggle of Pokémon looks like how the original 151 would have if they had already come up with all the ideas they've spent almost 20 years getting.

Like how limited the type variations used to be: why was almost every grass-type in Gen 1 also poison?? How terrible most Pokémon's movepools were in R/B/Y: does Electrode even learn any Electric moves? How little sense the stats system used to make: how many Pokémon were no good because their type and most of their moves were special and their special attack stat was trash? How abilities didn't used to exist, how a lot of the moves were made obsolete by some other because they were all essentially the same thing but with different levels of power, how holding items has changed everything, how there can be obvious climate differences between locations thanks to graphical capabilities the Game Boy didn't have, things like that...

I'd really love to see generation 6 follow as a parallel to generation 2--sort of build off of Generation 5 as a sequel and send you back to an aged Unova, rather than stand alone as all the other games have done. It would mean a considerably smaller group of new Pokémon than we've seen in years but would anyone mind? Gen 2 is still a favorite for a lot of fans, myself being one of them... All the "Johto Pokémon" certainly had a unique vibe compared to Kanto's but so does jelly compared to peanut butter, know what I mean?

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

@Skeleton: You realize you used maltese terrier twice? And some of your examples are argueable.
Maltese terrier= Herdier and/or Stoutland
Tornado= Tornadus
Wolf= {entei} {suicune} {raikou}
Succubus (as kiga said, that would be funny to see)= {jynx} (????)

Goodbye
"

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:15 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Pretty sure Skeleton wanted a literal tornado Pokemon. Like this but with a face.

The only one of the Legendary Beasts that could be remotely considered a wolf is Suicune, who has the murkiest origins of the three by far IMO. Entei's main basis is a lion, as seen by the mane, and Raikou's is a tiger, via the stripes.

Jynx is not a succubus considering she isn't a demon and doesn't appear in men's dreams to seduce them. :/

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:49 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

What Samurott has been telling me (but didn't post it up here yet) is that it's not about the fact of pokemon types and stuff, but the names of the games.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Sorry for any dings in there. Still not completely familiarized with gen 5 yet. I couldn't name most of 'em with pictures...

I imagine a tornado Pokémon starting off as a little wisp of clean-looking wind with a cutesy face, evolving into a bigger gust with some debris in it, then into a bigger twister with a lot of stuff flying around in it.

Something like that

Its movepool could have Gust, Twister, Rapid Spin, Heat Wave, Fling, Clear Fog, Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Air Cutter, Aerial Ace, Whirlpool, Fire Spin, Ominous Wind, Silver Wind, Toxic, Double Team, Hurricane, Rain Dance, Hail, Sandstorm, stuff like that.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

@Drago: You bet I'll make a topic. In fact...
*posts, goes back to Pokemon Center forum, new topic, types- stops to yell at dog barking at 4am- continues typing, submits. Ta-da!*

Goodbye
"

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:12 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Did anyone else besides me notice the Pichu? XD

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:06 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Frost wrote:
Pretty sure Skeleton wanted a literal tornado Pokemon. Like this but with a face.

The only one of the Legendary Beasts that could be remotely considered a wolf is Suicune, who has the murkiest origins of the three by far IMO. Entei's main basis is a lion, as seen by the mane, and Raikou's is a tiger, via the stripes.

Jynx is not a succubus considering she isn't a demon and doesn't appear in men's dreams to seduce them. :/

What I meant was is that its kiss puts people and pokemon to sleep. And the fact that most, if not all, are female. And she does look pretty demonish if she is photo negative.
And yes twist, I also noticed the pichu.

Goodbye
"

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next