It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 11:58 pm

Forum rules

ALL GLORY TO THE FLOATING CLEFFA

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Frost's Rankings: The Cast of Super Smash Bros. (Complete) 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
*growl*...I hate snake. I can't fight with him, and he's my punching bag. How is he second tier, and how is meta knight first?!?!?!?

(that's right, I growled at you.)

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:07 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I quite don't like Snake (in Brawl) because I'm not so good with him. I realize that that isn't much of a good reason to dislike him, but I just don't.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:59 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Meta Knight and Snake are that high in the tier system because they are good. Snake is a heavyweight that cannot be KO'd easily in the right player, and in another right player Meta Knight is the same. There are these things called combos which Snake and Meta Knight users know how to implement, and Meta Knight's are near impossible to break if in the correct hands. Yes I do know other characters can use combos but not on the level of Snake and Meta Knight. I couldn't find a single picture but...

Snake in his leopard print I call gay bar Snake, because you know he looks like he wants to take you to a gay bar in his leopard print. But I will agree with you on the fact that he is pretty hot.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:16 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Boom! Olimar in the top 12. Sweet, I'm wondering what he'll get. I love the little dude, and his pikmin.It's so fun to mess ppl up with him since they think he stinks, but in the right hands he will destroy you. He'll mess you up! ;)

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:19 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

When I play with Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle is ALWAYS the Pokemon I choose. I rarely change it, and when I do, is usually to Charizard, mostly because of LOL CHARIZARD FLAPS HIS WINGS AND FFFFFFLY. Squirtle has the best moveset, in my opinion, and it's the funniest and most adorable of the Pokemon trio.

Fox is, by far, the best out of the Star Fox trio. I think he moves faster than Falco and Wolf. The only Star Fox game I ever played was for the SNES, so I don't know many other characters, but I have heard of Crystal, and I do agree she deserved to be there instead of Falco (since Wolf is the villain, I guess he could stay). They really need more female fighters in SSB's roster. It's funny, but I do like how the Star Fox characters look in SSBB, even though I think they could've worked on the fur a little, like they did on Diddy Kong. Oh yeah, and Fox (and the entire Star Fox cast) gets points for being a furfag.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:52 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Galar wrote:
When I play with Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle is ALWAYS the Pokemon I choose.

Funny, for me it's usually Ivysaur. I love his Up Smash attack; huge and powerful burst from his flower that usually sends people flying. His aerial attacks are actually really good and better than Charizard's imo, despite Charizard being the part Flying type. :o

Galar wrote:
It's funny, but I do like how the Star Fox characters look in SSBB, even though I think they could've worked on the fur a little, like they did on Diddy Kong.

I like the design too; I'm glad they went with the Star Fox: Command (the most recent Star Fox game) art style. I just wish they would've had Krystal instead of Wolf, and that Falco had a different Final Smash (his physical attacks with the A button are pretty different from Fox's now).

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

12. Yoshi
Game(s): Vanilla, Brawl, Melee; Tier: 6th out of 12; 21st out of 26; 29th out of 38
What do I think of this character in his original series?: I actually used to DESPISE Yoshi, as I thought he was the most annoying, overrated character of the entire Mario series. Seriously, people all over the Internet declare their love for Yoshi and how awesome he is even though he tends to suck in every game you can play as him? Over time, though, my stance toward Yoshi softened and then even came full circle to appreciation. Yoshi is a happy, cute and lovable character and he does actually kick ass in his platforming games. Plus, I find it hilarious that so many macho video gamer guys love them some Yoshi when it's a singing, squealing dinosaur who lays eggs and is associated with fruit and rainbows. SMW2 has always been one of my favorite Super Nintendo games, too, although Yoshi's Story was a horrendous follow-up.

What do I think of this character in Smash?: From day one, Yoshi always seemed pathetically weak in the Smash series to me, although I think a big part of that was because, in the first game, you fight thirty horrifically nerfed Yoshi bots as part of the campaign mode. Either way, Yoshi's fighting style has never really done much for me, since he seems a little weird and difficult to control, especially with his lack of a third jump necessitating a HUGE flailing second jump. Still, he's always been my savior in the Home Run Contest thanks to being able to spam his Flutter Kick aerial move for over 100% damage on Sandbag.

How well did this character transition from his original series to Smash?: As one of Nintendo's main stars, you bet your life that they nailed Yoshi's Smash implementation. His ability to eat enemies and then lay eggs with them inside is here, along with his flutter kick, egg toss and Ground Pound from Super Mario World 2. Yet, at the same time, I think they were a tad too straightforward with Yoshi's moveset, because there were a few cool power that he had in his older games that would have been cool to see in Smash, like his abilities to spit watermelon seeds, blow fire and ice, or turn into helicopters, trains and submarines, all of which originated from SMW2. Any one of these moves would have been FAR better than his lame current Side Special, which has him turn HIMSELF into an egg and steamroll the opposition. Meh. However, I was happy to see that they incorporated his SMW1 abilities into his Final Smash in Brawl.

Did this character deserve to be in the Smash series?: Make no mistake - Mario may have more name recognition by virtue of being the main, titular protagonist, but Yoshi ALWAYS has been the most popular character in the Mario series since his introduction. Yoshi was so popular that he was able to carry his OWN titles without the Mario Brothers, and I guess that's why the Yoshi series is considered a separate entity in the Smashverse. Either way, being the most popular character of Nintendo's flagship series meant that Yoshi's inclusion from day one is non-contestable.

Overall Rating: B+. Despite my former hatred, I've come to recognize Yoshi as an enjoyable, classic video gaming icon. However, his Smash implementation could be a little better in terms of tight control, and to be honest I don't really like his Melee design for the same reasons I don't like the Star Fox characters' designs in Melee and Brawl.

11. Zero Suit Samus
Game(s): Brawl; Tier: 13th out of 38
What do I think of this character in her original series?: Saving the actual analysis of Samus as a character for her true entry, which is still upcoming, it's been a Metroid series staple since day one to be able to earn the chance to see Samus unmasked and outside of her Power Suit, depending on how quickly the player completes her games. Since the Metroid series' revival in 2002, Nintendo has been far more liberal in their portrayal of civilian Samus, with each new incarnation of her looking more and more like a supermodel with form fitting clothes, all leading to the creation of Zero Suit Samus in Metroid: Zero Mission, the Game Boy Advance remake of the original Metroid.

What do I think of this character in Smash?: Like Dr. Mario before her, Zero Suit Samus is kind of an anomaly in the cast of the Smash series because she's not truly a separate character, but rather an alternate costume of a character who was already present in the Smash universe. However, unlike Dr. Mario, Zero Suit Samus has a completely different moveset from her neutral form. Unlike Zelda/Sheik or Pokemon Trainer's ability to switch at will, however, Zero Suit Samus only appears if Samus can get her hands on the Smash Ball, which is a nice nod to her original series in that you can't just see unmasked Samus by default, but rather have to earn the privilege. Also, with her incredibly obvious T&A, there's no doubt that ZSS was added to the cast of Brawl to provide eye candy that far outranks Nana the Ice Climber or either Nintendo Princess.

How well did this character transition from her original series to Smash?: I've really only played two Metroid games, namely Super Metroid and the first Metroid Prime, and both of those predated the creation of Zero Suit Samus. A quick glance through ZSS's moveset on Smashwiki says that her special moves are still based on her in-game abilities, so I'm satisfied with that. More interesting to me are the battle differences between Zero Suit and Power Suit Samus. ZSS is understandably faster but weaker than her regular incarnation, and she gains access to a kickass plasma whip for good measure, so she's still pretty badass in my book.

Did this character deserve to be in the Smash series?: The Metroid series has definitely earned additional coverage in the Smash series. Unfortunately, because the series is light on major characters, the creators were stuck in a box in terms of adding more Metroid characters. While this does NOT excuse the exclusion of Ridley as a new character WHATSOEVER, especially when factoring in Sakurai's bullshit excuse of Ridley being "too big" to be added to the series, as if Smash hasn't played hard and loose with the sizes of its characters before (sup Bowser and Captain Olimar), Zero Suit Samus is an acceptable alternative in that she technically adds a "second" Metroid character to the mix without being a lame clone. However, the fact that Metroid still only has one character entry into the Smash series while Kirby, Fire Emblem and Star Fox have THREE and Mother has TWO is simultaneously a sad joke and extremely telling of Smash's pro-Japan slant. Because, in terms of notoriety, Metroid is easily the #4 Nintendo franchise outside of Japan.

Overall Rating: B+. Samus is awesome, and eye candy is awesome, but mixing the two is kind of an insult to the ground that Samus was originally intended to break. She also doesn't make the top ten because she's only a costume change for regular Samus, who IS in the top ten anyway. Still, she can have fun looking hot with her male counterpart Snake.

10. Lucario
Game(s): Brawl; Tier: 12th out of 38
What do I think of this character in his original series?: As with the other Pokemon characters in the Smash series, I've already shared my thoughts about Lucario in my Pokemon ranking thread. Despite originally finding Lucario to be a lame Suicune/Raikou rehash when it was first revealed (p.s. lol at that), he definitely grew on me over time with his cultural design and interesting connection to Aura, which is extremely reminiscent of the Street Fighter series' Hadouken. Lucario ended up being a top 75 Pokemon in my ranking thread and, out of a field of 512 possible candidates, I'd say that means I like him pretty well.

What do I think of this character in Smash?: The number one question we as Pokemon fans all had in regards to Brawl was "Which Pokemon will they add to the roster?" Would they add a Pokemon from Hoenn, Sinnoh or both? Would it be Blaziken, Gardevoir or Lucario? The end results were quite underwhelming as NO Hoenn Pokemon were added, the series' only Johto Pokemon was dropped, and three more Kanto Pokemon got shoved into the mix. However, the silver lining (for me) was Lucario's addition as the sole Sinnoh representative after his presence was unintentionally spoiled from a gameplay video of the Sticker book. People also accused Smash Lucario of being a Mewtwo rehash, which is lame because Lucario doesn't suck, has several properties that Mewtwo didn't and they basically only had their one neutral move in common, just like Mewtwo and Samus did.

How well did this character transition from his original series to Smash?: It only took three installments, but finally a Fighting-type Pokemon has joined the cast of (not truly a) fighting game Super Smash Bros. Seriously, you'd think having a Fighting Pokemon in a game that involves Nintendo characters beating each other up were like trying to cure cancer or something. Like the other Pokemon characters, Lucario retains his simplified graphic design, which is kind of a shame because I bet his fur would look awesome if Donkey and Diddy Kong were any indication.

I love that all of Lucario's Special moves are based on moves that he learns in the Pokemon games, including his trademark move Aura Sphere, although I do wish he got a Steel-type move and I was also pretty disappointed that his Final Smash was something completely made up for Brawl. He's a fully evolved Pokemon, so why not give him Hyper Beam or something? Damn. The other thing that makes Lucario unique is that his moves change properties as he takes damage due to his Aura, which is a GREAT way to distinguish a character in Brawl while using an aspect from his original series. Lucario's Brawl implementation was an A+ overall.

Did this character deserve to be in the Smash series?: Absolutely. Sorry to all of you haters who have been inflicted with Lucarealousy and claim that Lucario is "overrated" Image just because it was the lead role in a movie or whatever, but Lucario was one of Diamond and Pearl's few new ~breakout stars~, especially when people were so busy bitching about how there were so many Legendaries and new evolutions/pre-evolutions of older Pokemon in DP. Lucario was neither one of those, and he was also one of the few Pokemon with a fighting style that lends itself well to the series.

Overall Rating: A-. If you recall my Pokemon rankings, you might find it odd that Lucario is already out on the Smash list while Pikachu and Jigglypuff are still in, despite Lucario being higher than both of them on the Pokemon list. This is because I've never actually used Brawl Lucario myself, and therefore I had to penalize him by taking him out here. Especially because the people who are left are all either characters who I mained in the older games, or are characters who I appreciate more as characters.

The final nine: Mario, Peach, Bowser, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Samus, Kirby, Ice Climbers and Captain Olimar.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:22 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm glad this made a comeback!!! When I play SSB, I usually play as either Yoshi or Bowser, simply because they're my two favorite characters. Yoshi is indeed a cute little dino; however, I haven't played any of his "mainstream" (non-super smash bros, or mario sports) games for some reason, so I didn't know about all his other awesome powers. I remember in Super Mario Sunshine, he changed colors based off of the fruit he ate, though. So yes, I agree wholeheartedly that he should've gotten some better moves, but hey, it is what it is.

On Lucario, I am one of the ones who thought he was a little too similar to Mewtwo. But I wasn't aware of the fact that his charge-ball thingy changes with the amount of damage he takes; something I'll have to play around with later. However, I did think that Lucario is every bit as cool as Mewtwo (plus he's BLUE, which is my favorite color, lol), so I wasn't upset or anything with it. Lucario's final smash never really made sense to me, either, though. If they do another Super Smash Bros. (which is probable, since there would be a lot of people to buy it) they'll probably kick him out to put in Zoroark or something, so w/e, I guess.

I'm kinda surprised that the Ice Climbers made it to the top nine/ten. I never really liked them or played as them, but I'm looking forward to reading your logic for that.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:35 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
I always liked Smash Bros Yoshi. I recall a sleep over that I went to, and me and my friend were playing Melee. I picked Yoshi randomly and discovered that I could eat my friend and poop him out as an egg. While he was an egg I would kick him and then put him back in the egg when he got out. I would repeat until he was at an insanely high % (somewhere like 317. XD) and kick him out. A few times I was near a ledge due to an insane beating and I ate him and pooped him out over the ledge. He went berserk afterwards. XD
On another note, go Kirby!

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:42 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I'm randomly reviving this because I just realized that I never actually finished it and only had three updates left until it was done. So, yeah.

09. Samus
Game(s): Vanilla, Melee, Brawl; Tier: 12th out of 12; 11th out of 26; 34th out of 38
What do I think of this character in her original series?: Long before female video game heroines had become a cool new fad, an androgynous cyborg was the star of the first Metroid game in 1988, with the instruction manual specifically using male pronouns when addressing Samus. This, of course, was Nintendo flat-out LYING to preserve the twist ending of Samus actually being a woman. Samus definitely deserves high praise for breaking ground in terms of female stereotypes; before discovering the truth, many gamers easily assumed that, if a human at all, Samus was a dude, because the heavily armored action hero with big guns, bombs and lasers never had been an attractive, badass chick before.

Hell, the only female playable mainstream video game character who predates Samus, as far as I know, is Ms. Pac-Man, who isn't even human, and certainly wasn't armed to the teeth with explosive toys. And Samus actually has more complexity than the average Nintendo hero, as games have fleshed out her backstory as her being the only survivor of a destroyed space colony who was infused with Chozo blood and wears her various suits to grant her abilities. She becomes a bounty hunter who exterminates most of the Metroid race, yet also serves as a mother figure toward one of the last surviving Metroid in Super Metroid. She even gets to talk in multiple Metroid games, so in other words, she's basically everything I want/need from a video game lead. Complex, original, and badass. It's a shame that Nintendo has played up Samus as a sexy model-type more recently because it kind of objectifies her as a woman when the whole point of her sex in the first place was to make people question gender stereotypes.

What do I think of this character in Smash?: When I first played the original Smash, I hated Samus because she came off as nothing more than a boring robot to me. I had never played (or even heard of) any Metroid games, and I didn't even know Samus's true sex. Even when I found out that said boring robot had a gender, and was therefore the only female character in SSB, I still didn't like her because she didn't look like a woman externally. By the time Melee came out, however, I ~got~ the appeal of Samus as a character and she was one of my secondaries in Melee because I always appreciate chicks who kick ass. I was actually surprised to see that she was dead last in the SSB tiers, since I remember a lot of people hyping the Samus/Ness team in the original game. She definitely improved in Melee and was a pretty well-rounded character in terms of abilities in that game; I wonder how she got so nerfed in Brawl? I also brought up ZSS in the last update, and I'm glad that Samus does get to fight unmasked in Smash.

How well did this character transition from her original series to Smash?: Either way, a lot of Samus's abilities from the Metroid games made the transition to Smash as her special and grappling moves, which of course makes me happy. The Screw Attack, Missiles, Charge Shot and Bomb attacks have basically appeared in every Metroid game to date, and the Bomb special even features Samus in her ball form, which is another of the series' calling cards. In Melee, Samus also got a unique grappling hook ability to help her cling onto cliffs, which again originates from one of Samus's abilities in Metroid, using the grappling beam to swing across chasms. While her special moves are all based on her most obvious abilities, I do wish she could have had her ice beam as a special since that would have been pretty awesome.

Did this character deserve to be in the Smash series?: While Samus is an awesome character who is completely deserving of praise, I think her being included in the original Smash Bros. was sort of a push since there were so many other, more popular characters from series that were already covered in SSB who got snubbed over her. You have to remember that when SSB came out, the Metroid series was in limbo with no N64 game, a Game Boy game that barely anybody played, and Super Metroid being the only truly notable game of a franchise that had three titles. However, with the dual release of Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime in 2002, the series has been on fire ever since, to the point that I'd say Samus is #4 in the Nintendo hierarchy, at least in western countries, after Mario, Pokemon and Zelda in that order, so Samus's inclusion in the later games is definitely warranted.

Overall Rating: A-. I love Samus for being a strong woman and a character who I did use a lot in SSBM. However, the characters that I've ranked above her are ones that I simply enjoy more than her, either in Smash or in their original series.

08. Pikachu
Game(s): Vanilla, Melee, Brawl; Tier: 1st out of 12; 12th out of 26; 9th out of 38
What do I think of this character in his original series?: If you remember my original Pokemon ranking thread, Pikachu was just outside of my top 200, and I did my best to argue why Pikachu does a great job as the series mascot, appealing equally to boys and girls, and that very few Pokemon could do its job as well as Pikachu does. Spoilers: I still think all of these things. If anything, those feelings have increased since my original ranking thread, and especially in the face of this "Pikachu is overrated" meme which is just so INCORRECT. The next time you're about to call Pikachu overrated, please stop and consider that just about everyone over the age of, oh, 6 years old or so hates Pikachu for being "overrated."

What do I think of this character in Smash?: Since the original Smash lacked readily apparent female characters, my typical stance of "pick the chick" in fighting-esque games couldn't apply to SSB. Therefore, since it was the late 90's and I was a raging Pokefan, Pikachu became my main in the original game. I actually found Pikachu hard to use in fights against human players, and picked somebody else (who happens to be coming up next in this ranking). Like with Samus's bottom tiering, I'm actually STUNNED that Pikachu is the top tier character of vanilla, and my best guess is because Thunder was pretty broken. After Melee added some chicks to the series, I really didn't feel much need to continue using Pikachu, and I even ditched him as my Pokemon of choice for Jigglypuff. I'm again surprised and kind of happy that Pikachu has such a strong tiering in Brawl, though.

How well did this character transition from his original series to Smash?: Smash hits a lot of the right notes with Pikachu even though I have some issues. For example, the name "Thunder Jolt" for Pikachu's neutral special attack should CLEARLY be "Thundershock." And while I can't fault the down special for being "Thunder," I think most people associate Pikachu with Thunderbolt due to the anime. Pikachu's up special being Quick Attack and his Final Smash being Volt Tackle are both good, and I love that his alternate costumes include props such as Red's cap. Skull Bash is pretty annoying as a special move, though, since the Special moves should be ones that a Pokemon learns naturally (unless there's a special circumstance, like what I'm about to bring up), and Pikachu can't even learn Skull Bash after RBY when it stopped being a TM. I'd actually be really happy if they ditched Skull Bash for Iron Tail in the next Smash game, making Pikachu's special moves and Final Smash an homage to the moveset of Ash's Pikachu just like Red's was in HGSS.

Did this character deserve to be in the Smash series?: Are you kidding me? The original Super Smash Bros. was released in the height of Pokemon's fad period and I wouldn't be surprised if Pikachu's presence alone sold an extra million copies or so of the original game. Pikachu's inclusion is pretty much the biggest "no duh" after Mario's to me, especially because Pokemon probably makes Nintendo more money than any of their other franchises, despite Mario being the sentimental #1.

Overall Rating: A-. My love for Pikachu is actually growing strong over time, and I'm a fan of Pikachu in the Smash series, too, since he was my main in the original. However, like Samus, the characters above him mean more to me for one reason or another, particularly Jigglypuff who I like more as a Pokemon and a Smash character in general.

07. Mario P. Mario
Game(s): Vanilla, Melee, Brawl; Tier: 5th out of 12; 13th out of 26; 31st out of 38
What do I think of this character in his original series?: In the 1990's, there were two types of people: Mario people and Sonic people. Despite having a Sega Genesis for five years before I had a Super Nintendo, I was a Mario person through and through, believing Mario to have the better games, the better TV show, and the better characters. Even while playing Sonic, I did it while thinking "Super Mario World is so much cooler than this, I wish I could be playing that instead. ;_;" Mario's illustrious video game career has had him doing everything from saving chicks to racing karts to having parties to playing golf, tennis, baseball and soccer to even being the damsel in distress for his girl and his brother to rescue. My favorite of Mario's