It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Earthquake!?! And a Hurricane!?! 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Did anyone else just feel the earthquake that happened at 2:00 today? It was a 5.8 in Virginia, and I felt the aftershocks all the way in New Jersey! I did not expect that to happen. What are all of your thoughts and concerns about it? Is everyone okay?

Last edited by twistedturtwig on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:28 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, I didn't feel it in Arizona ... yet. But it doesn't really surprise me that there was one back there. The western U.S. is, of course, well known for earthquakes. But one of the stronger quakes in U.S. History was the "New Madrid" quakes in 1812 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Earthquake). These are estimated to have been in the range of magnitude 8 on the Richter scale.

Quakes back east are not unheard of, though they are not terribly common. I'm glad this one wasn't worse than it was.

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:00 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well I didnt feel it, but according to CTV newsnet and my local news, It was felt up here in Canada from Ontario to New Brunswick. I was actually surprised to hear about the quake, since there isnt any KNOWN (<-keyword) fault lines in the east.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:58 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I certainly didn't feel it in Indiana. The only damage I've heard of from that quake is when some bricks fell off a building and crushed three cars. I don't think it's really that noteworthy. A quake, three flat cars... CNN must be desperate for material.

I feel sorry for anyone who's going to have their homes flattened by Hurricane Irene. Isn't that up near the east coast too?

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature.
92% of teens would be dead if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasn't cool to breathe. Put this in your sig if you are the 8% who would be laughing.

Diamond FC: 5199-4994-9415
White FC: 0089-1661-3588

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:25 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah, first an earthquake and now a hurricane. What did we do to offend you Mother Nature? And actually, there was some damage. A couple houses collapsed in Virginia, and a couple in Camden as well. Anyway, we're getting our bottled water and flashlights ready just in case, but the worst is going to be down by the shore. I sure hope that the damage isn't too bad.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:14 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It hit 1:51 PM EST D: It was felt for anywhere between 15-50 seconds (the latter of which was what I felt like x_x), and well, the epicenter was 9 miles off Mineral, Virginia, USA. Either that, or it was Louisa, VA >.>

Anyway, I felt it at my house. It was shaking, and I thought a freight train crashed through our living room. The building sort of jumped. I can't really explain the feeling, but it was like some vibrations going through you >.< And the actual thing was 5.9 on the Richter scale, last time I checked ;)

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:22 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Living on the East Coast of Canada I didn't feel much. At the time it happened I was at the beach with some friends. I do recall feeling a little shake, but I dismissed it rather hastily. Now that I think about it, I can't think of another cause for the shake that I felt. I guess I was too preoccupied enjoying the glorious day to put any thought into it.

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:45 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I actually didn't feel it in Pennsylvania, because I was in my basement, playing Xbox. >.> I heard the aftershock hit us, and I was like, "It was from Virginia? Something used MAGNITUDE 10!" Lol.

See how it sings like a sad heart, and joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain, and notes that fall gently like rain."

~Neil Peart

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Some trainers must have been very negligent during that battle. XD Hurricane Irene was the real problem. I can just imagine the scenario...

Trainer 1: "Okay Dugtrio, use Magnitude on the foe's Crustle!"
Dugtrio used Magnitude. Magnitude 10! It's super-effective! Crustle fainted.
Trainer 2: "No! Not my Crustle! Now I'll show you! Go, Dragonite! Use Hurricane!"
It wasn't very effective on the foe's Dugtrio. However, it was super-effective on The East Coast! The East Coast's basements flooded! The East Coast can't move!
Trainer 1: "Wait, what just happened..."

[sarcasm]Yeah, I've been having loads of fun ripping up my basement for the past few days.[/sarcasm]

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:38 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I think as the Hurricanes more powerful, maybe Tornadus created the Hurricane! But that was a good laugh anyway.

Anyway, are you all alright after the Hurricane/EQ. I live away from the East coast of America so I don't know how bad it was

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:21 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I think as the Hurricanes more powerful, maybe Tornadus created the Hurricane! But that was a good laugh anyway.

Anyway, are you all alright after the Hurricane/EQ. I live away from the East coast of America so I don't know how bad it was

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:22 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Oooh IceArceus, watch out, you just double posted there. And Tornadus making the Hurricane really wouldn't make much sense, because even though Tornadus learns Hurricane (I think it does at least...), in real life, Hurricanes wind up spawning tornadoes. So that means Irene spawned like 3,000 copies of Tornadus, and they're probably on their way to put the rest of the country into a state of emergency as we speak. Tomorrow on the news it it'll say something like: "33 tornadoes hit Kansas yesterday, all at the same time. Sucks for you, Dorothy."

Lol and by the way, tt,
[sarcasm]Very nice use of the special sarcasm text.[/sarcasm] :D

~Neil Peart

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I don't know how that keeps happening!

Technically, Tornados don't form from hurricanes however the odd one may form in the aftermath of a major hurricane. No Tornado is the same as how they form may vary. Lets just say for this case that tornadus created a light tornado and then he got out of control and created hurricane Irene

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:23 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

IceArceus12, it might be that when you went to click the submit button, you hit it twice by accident. You can delete the extra one by clicking the little x button near the bottom of the post. Don't worry, it happens all the time to me. :mrgreen:

Anyways, the WERE some tornado warnings near my house. We stayed in the basement for about a half an hour till' the warnings ceased. Even after that, there were some other warnings for areas in other towns, but not close enough to warrant any danger for us.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:31 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

There is a little x button but after a certain time it disappears. I normally do that if I do double post.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:17 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ohh, I didn't know that it disappears :? ...

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:01 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

If you go to Edit you can delete it from there. :shock: And when I said tornadoes spawn from hurricanes, i meant that the sever winds that happen during or after the storm can cause tornadoes. And tt, I had a tornado warning too, but my family didn't go down in the basement. Hopefully you brought your DS with you, lol. When I heard there was gonna be a hurricane and the power was most likely going to be out, I was like "Oh, crap! Better charge my DS!"

~Neil Peart

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Are you sure? - I don't see a delete button...

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:16 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Oh I was thinking of the OP of a Topic. Sorry about that.

~Neil Peart

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

What a silly question Pory! Of course I brought my DS with me. Although I almost forgot it down there on the floor, and remembered to get it a bit later. The next morning, flooded basement. That was too close a call. I don't know what I would have done without it. :cry:

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:28 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

here in Kansas we get an average of 55 tornadoes a year and you probably herd of the one in Joplin which is like 15 miles from were I lived 1 year ago.

3DS FC: 0104-0278-1948

deviantART wrote:
Vectors-R-US:
They do it to trigger fan-fictions. Fur da lulz. Cuz you know how those fan stories can get... *shudders*

VladimirMacHolzraum:
So the writers put things in the show just so they can read our screwed-up fanfics? That explains everything

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:38 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Hurricane Irene was barely a hurricane when it hit us, and since we're a bit inland (closer to Washington D.C. than the coastal cities), and the worst we got were a couple of broken window shutters here in the apartment complex my family and I live in. I heard New York City was forcefully evacuated, but it really didn't do that much damage. I haven't really paid too much attention to news lately, so I can be wrong ^ ^'

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:26 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I feel sorry for Texas. They have had a drought for a while, even wildfires, and Hurricane Lee isn't going to give them much rain at all.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]