It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 PC Marking System 
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

You know what I'm talking about.

Introduced in RSE, the marking system allowed you to mark your Pokemon with any or all of up to 4 different shapes, for whatever reason you feel like. In DPPt, they upgraded that marking system to six: Circle, Triangle, Square, Heart, Star, and Diamond.

With all those 6 marks, you'd think they'd be useful for something. Or they could go ignored for years and the trainer would rely just on memory.

But do you guys use the marking system at all, in any fashion? And if so, how do you use it?

~~~~~

I actually started using the marking system in DPPt, and I find it incredibly useful. I use each of the six marks for a different purpose, to help me remember things. Here's what I use them for:

Circle = This Pokemon is used exclusively for breeding (usually for a nature or ability, or possibly even a 31).
Triangle = This Pokemon is EV trained.
Square = This Pokemon does not list me as the OT in the game that it's currently living in.
Heart = Used for variable purposes. in Diamond, the mark meant that the Pokemon was 100% legit.
Star = This Pokemon is shiny. (Kind of a no-brainer, I know, but I still use it.)
Diamond = Used for variable purposes. in Black, I use it when I have multiple children at level 1, and am considering which one of them to EV train. in Diamond, it was used for those Pokemon who had nicknames that all had a certain theme.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I only use them in breeding, to mark maxed IVs.
Circle = HP
Triangle = Attack
Square = Defense
Heart = Special Attack
Star = Special Defense
Diamond = Speed

Typically, I'll only mark ones that have been judged "Outstanding" and immediately release anything lesser. Unless I'm breeding for TR, in which case "Relatively Superior" pokemon are allowed to live.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:44 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I only started using the marking system recently, to rember what pokemon have perfect IVs
Circle=perfect HP IV
Triangle=perfect Attack IV
and so on. You get the point.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I don't breed or anything, so I don't use it like you guys do. Mainly what I do is use the heart mark; any Pokemon that I want to train in the future gets a heart mark. Pokemon that belong to my brother or that I want to transfer get a diamond or triangle.

As far as the training thing goes, if it's a Pokemon that I use for awhile, but gets cycled out of my team, will usually get one. Others that I know are competitively viable will also get one, then of course there's the ones that I just want its evo for kicks, etc.

Not too complicated. I should copy the star thing, though :P

Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:48 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I used to use some for certain things:

Triangle - Has at least 1 max IV; used for breeding
Star - Part of one of my parties
Square - Has a HM
Heart - Shiny or a favourite Pokemon

However this has become obsolete with my ability to RNG as I no longer need to breed. I'll probably start up a new system like this:

Heart - Shiny
Star - RNGed
The others are to indicate which team they are from.

Danger Trout has a good idea, especially for breeders because it's easy to tell which of your 100 different Dratinis is which.

There really needs to be a box search function though. It was good in DP when you could see which Pokemon had what symbols by using the bottom screen. However they removed this from all later games to allow for a touch screen box. Also I hate it when I'm looking for a Skarmory to breed with and I search all of my boxes 4 times, can't find one. Trade for another one and find it was in a box all along.

Check out my trade thread!

Timezone: GMT+0

Cloning Glitch!

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:49 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I mark all the ones that I either have trained or intend to train with the triangle and that's it. Though I still have a few from FireRed that I marked with it that have completely backwards natures and helter-skelter movesets, and I sort my PC boxes by type and keep all my teams in a couple of separate boxes just for them, so what it really indicates is whether or not the Pokémon has ever mattered to me. In short: I do it 'cause it's cool.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I used to use them in Platinum to mark whether they were competitively Viable or not as you could use the search system. However in HG/SS they were kind of useless for me

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]