It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Soul Silver Save Situation 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Hi! I recently bought Soul Silver for a trip down memory lane (played red, blue, yellow, gold, silver, ruby, fire red). Issues arose, I had about 13 hours of gameplay, got to the Rage Lake, fought and made the Garydos faint, had saved just previous to this, turned off turned back on, all is normal, normal start screen, click on my save, and I get a black screen with very quiet music playing.

I don't use anything like action replay, heck, I hadn't even SEEN my DS for a year before buying it. The DS sorta passed me by.

Obviously very annoying, I haven't been able to find a SHRED of info on this, closest I got to it was something to do with an issue with emulated ROMs of the game, which this very much isn't.

In essence, I'd like to know if this is common, what exactly it is, and whether it's the save or the game. if it's the save, fine, but if it's a problem with the game, and I start up again to have it do this again, and I have to watch my lovely Geodude disappear AGAIN, I might actually stick my head through the wall. :violin:

Thanks! P.S., this is a great website and community you've all got here, I'll be sure to stick around after this is all sorted! :)

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:26 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

That is so... highly unusual. The first questions I'll ask are these:

Where did you buy the game? Did you buy it used or new?

If you bought it at a store like GameStop or something, check that off your list. If you bought it new, that's also a good step. However, if you bought it off a friend, or at a garage sale, or bought it used, it's possible that the game is fake or hacked. I don't know what exactly would cause that, but that's all I can think of. Just make sure it's legitimate. I think there's a thread somewhere, but i'm too lazy to find a link.

If it's not hacked or fake, then I have no clue. It could be that your game is just glitchy. Try starting a new game (without deleting the old one) and see if it'll start. If it doesn't, uh, I don't know.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:26 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!

I'm sure you can already guess the answer to that question. eBay, I know I know, I had it coming, but in my defense 1) he's a top seller with over 1000 feedback 2) I wasn't even aware you could fake games for the DS... (like I said, I'm very much out the loop at this point.) The game is a US version and my old grey DS is PAL, though that shouldn't make any sort of difference.

I did as you said and started a new game without saving, Oak pops up, all is normal, I can walk about Newbark, turn off and go to click the save again, nothing, not even a selection noise, screen goes black with very faint area noise (turn the volume all the way up and it sounds like you've got it low.)

On a side note, one thing that really annoys me about Nintendo is their fixed-prices. This is an old game, yet it's still £35 in the shops, same as games like Twilight Princess which really is now, any other console and they'd be at prices that reflect their age. Anyway, that's just me being annoyed. It's just silly prestige, they'd make a bundle if they made their games competitive... c'est la vie.

I'll look up that thread; again, I really appreciate your help.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:10 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It sounds like a problem that would happen to a file on a.. flash cart? emulator?, rather than on a legit game.
I remember reading a guide on how to spot counterfeit games, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was. *pulls out copy of Soul Silver* well, mine has "nintendo" stamped on the back with a number and "pat. pend." underneath. so that was probably the patent number. and then under that there's what looks like a serial number. the game itself is black, I assume they made all the US versions with the same color plastic. does that help any?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:47 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

This is what I've got, if it helps, I'm aware I'm probably flogging a dead horse with this, but just want to be sure so that when I do something about this, I'm not going to end up with egg on my face!
Looking at the box, 1) colouring doesn't look of the best quality. 2) on the spine, there is a blue background, which isn't the case with any other DDS games I know, but that may be regional. 3) all looks slightly pixilated. The logo on the spine also looks stretched or warped.

I actually went to a game shop to check the boxes, being different regions, the box art was different, but the ones on the shop were of much better quality.

I really don't know what to think, it sounds like this glitch has ONLY happened to me, which makes me think fake, but then the cartridge looks official enough.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:17 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

my sisters soul silver game look different

Attachment:
soulsilver-front.png

front

Attachment:
soulsilver-back.png

back

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3DS FC: 0104-0278-1948

deviantART wrote:
Vectors-R-US:
They do it to trigger fan-fictions. Fur da lulz. Cuz you know how those fan stories can get... *shudders*

VladimirMacHolzraum:
So the writers put things in the show just so they can read our screwed-up fanfics? That explains everything

Last edited by azul on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:37 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I'm sorry to say, it looks like its fake. The case gives it away, you don't start Soul Silver with Turtwig / Piplup / Chimchar. :(

edit - the numbers on the cartridge look like the ones found on a Diamond game. I guess they overwrote a Diamond file with a Soul Silver file to make it look like an official nintendo game. but why would you bother wiping one pokemon game in favor of another? : /

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:45 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

urgh, I didn't even notice the wrong pokemon on the back (I missed out those games, didn't like any the pokemon after gold/silver). Feel like a fool for missing something so obvious (as well as trusting eBay...), all round a poor show on my part!

Thank-you to everyone for going to so much trouble, god knows there's more interesting things to do than have long, hard thinks about the legitimacy of a game... I really do appreciate it! Now I have nice solid evidence that I can crucify the seller with! Or at the very least tell him that he is a very naughty boy and he should give me my dinnermoney back straight away or I'll tell teacher...

I'd give you all big, sloppy kisses if the internet facilitated such things.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:54 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

:shock: :shock: :? :? .

no it was not a problem I was already loading pic on my art thread and my sister's game was at hand so I just snaped some pic and put them here :mrgreen:

3DS FC: 0104-0278-1948

deviantART wrote:
Vectors-R-US:
They do it to trigger fan-fictions. Fur da lulz. Cuz you know how those fan stories can get... *shudders*

VladimirMacHolzraum:
So the writers put things in the show just so they can read our screwed-up fanfics? That explains everything

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:07 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I generally stay away from eBay. every time I decide to trust it, it rips me off. and the last time i really really looked hard at it and tried to ensure I was getting what it was supposed to be, but alas, I ended up with a Taiwanese bootleg >.< and thus I have made a solemn vow to never purchase anything through eBay ever again.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

yh, sorry to hear about this, but it's a fake

I bought a new Pokemon Platinum game on ebay pretty cheap, and it was legit an evrerything. I guess it's risky though...

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]