It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Too Old for Pokemon? 
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

IceArceus12 wrote:
What do you mean by when you say that being male is the "wrong" gender for it? (I assume youre male as it says that under your avatar). I thought that males tend to play Pokemon more. If you were female that would make much more sense...

Yes, because everything in a person's Psypoke profile is 100% true.
GofD wrote:
But it has character, it stops and makes you think, the possiblities for teams is HUGE. (over 500 pokes, each being able to learn 4 moves? Yeah its huge).

I totally agree. With each new generation there's a whole new slew of Pokemon to love (and hate). The only problem I have with devising movesets at times is that Pokemon can only learn 4 moves and never 5 (derp).

Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

bottomsupfellas wrote:
So yeah. I'm 15 and I like Pokemon. In reality, it's a secret hobby. I never talk to anyone at school about it because, well, Pokemon is sorta a nerdy thing. I've got friends and stuff but the good thing is they dont look in my drawers to see the collection of Pokemon games. Good thing I've got Psypoke to talk about it with.

but no you are never to old for a hobby.

I have the exact same problem! I am 16 now but i still love pokemon. Even though i had a break for two years or something because the ds generation came and i did not want to buy a ds only for one or two games. but then my sister bought pokemon heartgold! .. and i was like let me play let me play let me play! :D :D :D <3 that brought back good memories :D from crystal which now is broken R.I.P my dearest pokemon game <'3 deeply beloved, never forgotten <3

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:02 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: A blue police box somewhere near the Medusa Cascade
Never.

I'm a 21 year old female and I own... HG, SS, Platinum, Black and White. I'm considering getting Pearl just because I need some of the Sinnoh Pokemon to help my dex on Black, but not sure if it's worth it *shrug* Pokemon for me's relaxing, and I enjoy watching my babies grow up and become badass, as well as fighting crime and defeating evil. ^_^ and without killing my DS with button mashing too.

It's hard to find Pokemon fans though, a lot of people find it embarrassing... I thankfully my boyfriend doesn't mind that I'm a huge Poke-geek, as he was one too. I normally don't mention it to other people. Pokemon seems to be highly male dominated, so I was overjoyed when I went to the Arceus event in London and fell in with a group of girls who were all showing off their 'mons.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:01 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I'm... Right Here, Right Now, Right Here, Right Now...
I'm 22, I've been playing since Yellow although I faded out of it during the 4th gen but now my interest has been rekindled. I did play and battle with the other kids in my street but the moved on and it seems I'm the only one left round here. Good thing Wifi lets you trade and battle with people around the world nowadays as bar my brother and sis I'd find it hard to find another person to trade/battle face to face.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:44 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

We should organize! We are being discriminated against because we're over 18 and still play Pokémon! It is unfair! We should march on Washington! DEMAND OUR RIGHTS! MORE POKÉMON EVENTS FOR MATURE PLAYERS!!!!

Or, maybe we should just have an organized get together somewhere ... battles, trading, socializing. Then (since I don't EV/IV train) you all can kick my Pokémons' buts in face-to-face battles. :lol: Do they hold Pokémon conventions like they do comicons & such?

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:10 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

You are never too old for anything..

I am trying to fight myself not to go back to TCG I left a decade ago. Still have the whole First-Edition cards.

Image Image Image Image Image Image - White
----------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image - OTeam

My Trading Thread (Closed)

Last edited by Xiahou on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:38 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Quote:
We should march on Washington! DEMAND OUR RIGHTS! MORE POKÉMON EVENTS FOR MATURE PLAYERS!!!!

I take it you are not involved in the TCG. They have events for those pretty much year-round. Heck, Worlds 2011 just wrapped up a few days ago (but I can accurately say that the current legal format isn't any fun). The events just exist; it just involves a bit of searching to find them.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:39 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

DNA wrote:
Quote:
We should march on Washington! DEMAND OUR RIGHTS! MORE POKÉMON EVENTS FOR MATURE PLAYERS!!!!

I take it you are not involved in the TCG. They have events for those pretty much year-round. Heck, Worlds 2011 just wrapped up a few days ago (but I can accurately say that the current legal format isn't any fun). The events just exist; it just involves a bit of searching to find them.

Ah ... no. Fortunately for my wallet, I have not gotten involved in the TCG (yet). Though every time I walk into a Target or Wal-mart store and see the numerous packages of cards, I can't help getting a little twitchy ...

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:09 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

For all you oldies out there im in 8th grade and pokemon IS social suicide. Its a hard struggle not pulling out my ds at a bully and say "Hey im not lame look at my shiny charizard"
Sometimes i feel like im in the closet as a pokemon lover, somtimes i even make fun of it so my friends dont suspect anything. Once my friend pulled out my notebook and saw a little chart i made for my charizards evs/natures/breeding/move set/etc and he made fun of me to the point i dont talk to him.
Point is life in the pokemon closet is hard but worth it.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:19 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

@Graham97 - I'm with you. I don't think many people would respect that I play it - being in 10th grade.

I do/don't feel like a loser though because of all the things I've accomplished on my games. "Do" because I wonder if I'm too addicted to a little kid's game sometimes and "don't" because I've got so many good Pokemon and badges and items and etc, etc.

Things to brag about on the games. I never get to brag about them though... Except maybe on here :D

Time Zone: MDT (Mountain Daylight Time)
Trading Thread

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:56 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Pro-tip: MANY of the people who claim they hate Pokemon in middle school and high school are probably only pretending they hate it to look cool but secretly have all of the games at home. It's especially apparent if they claim to hate Pokemon but are familiar with things that a person who ACTUALLY hates Pokemon would never know. In college, the same people will be carrying around their DS in public and claiming how awesome Pokemon is now that the ridiculous social caste of high school is no longer in play. Believe me, that's exactly what happened with the people at my high school and college.

Be as free as your hair and don't succumb to the peer pressure, y'all.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:02 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

its only social suicide for a couple more years, then no one will care what you play :P

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:03 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

man i love this forum so much support :) but still people always :censored: ing make a big deal out of it and it makes me mad. I mean the same people play wow and cod (nothing wrong with those games if you play em) but still there just as nerdy. I mean im open with it with certain people but there like my bffs lmao

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:14 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

In my school, me and my friend set up a Pokemon club and we got a bit of stick for it but hey, I don't think it was social suicide for us. Yes, every time I go to the club I get mocked but I ignore it. I know about 20 other ppl in my year who have played Pokemon before and probably still do secretly. As for the club, we have about 15 ppl who turn up. As for the age difference, we have me and two others from Year 10 (9th Grade for you Americans!) and the rest are from Year 8 and 9 (7th and 8th Grade - In England, 'high school' is mostly from 6th grade onwards). However, it was embarrassing the first time the club was announced in the bulletin...(everyone started laughing)

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:56 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

@IceArceus12 - My local high school has a Pokemon club too. I've heard people talk about it! What do you do in the Pokemon club?

Time Zone: MDT (Mountain Daylight Time)
Trading Thread

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:47 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

bottomsupfellas wrote:
@IceArceus12 - My local high school has a Pokemon club too. I've heard people talk about it! What do you do in the Pokemon club?

I go to the same school as Ice Arceus. I pretty much run everything in the club but if it wasn't for Ice it wouldn''t have started in the first place.

We do anything that we can on our games: Sinnoh Underground, Pokeathlon, Battling, Trading etc.

Throughout the year we have a Pokemon League between everybody. Last years was a bit havoc though as not everybody had Heart Gold or Soul Silver so we couldn't always Flat Battle and not everbody understood why it was fairer to have Flat Battles.

Hopefully this year it will be a lot more straight forward with IR battles.

Every now and then we do mini tournaments aswell like 1 on 1 cups and Knock-outs where you can only choose from the Starter Pokemon.

On the topic of Social Suicide when we first created the club we'd always get people laughing at us including the Deputy Head. For the first month or so we'd have groups of people standing outside the door looking in and giggling. Luckily the teacher who supervises the club sorts out any major problems.

As mentioned before some of the people making fun seemed to know a suprising amount about Pokemon and the rest just seemed cowads either laughing behind our backs or over Facebook.

Anyway, it's all died down now. It never once made me upset hearing what others had to say. It's not like any of them have made a club based on their hobbies (Fooling-around-on-trampolines Club)

"The people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind."
- Chameleon Circuit

Check out my trade thread!

Timezone: GMT+0

Cloning Glitch!

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:30 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

bottomsupfellas wrote:

I think Justin has answered your question. Anyway, what do you do in your club? Maybe we can share ideas :)

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:25 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

There is a video game club in the high school I'm going to this year, but I'm not sure if anyone there will have Pokemon. I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best! Anyway, for me, Pokemon has been a disaster. I was made fun of it heavily in sixth grade when I was the only one left who played it. So I "quit playing" and it died down. But if anyone had ever found out that I still played it, I would be dead. Hopefully, it won't be the same this year, and I can find someone else who enjoys the games.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:40 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

No. I have a hunch that most of the people I know secretly like Pokemon, and I have a bunch of friends who play it. I don't think it's possible to be to old for pokemon. Even the people who don't play it because they're older (20+?) probably have a Blue or Red in their attic/basement that they occasionally pull out to boast about their 100% complete pokedex. Wow. that made me just realise how easy it was back then.

THELEGENDARY123: Proud Founder and Owner of the TL channel: Commited to bringing you the BEST pokemon banter of All time. PM thelegendary123 for availible positions!

Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:40 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Quick question for those who already posted in this thread - has anyone ever been flat-out bullied for like these games? I don't just mean people given you slack for it, but actual bullying? that's what happened with me.

For the first couple of years of secondary school I very much kept it a secret, due to fears of people slagging me off for it (and I was very much proved right). It wasn't until about third year that I felt like I could be open about it. However, since Pokemon is a Nintendo game, everyone put the two together and gave me hell for being an Nintendo fan (everyone else was into the Playstation and Xbox, I seriously thought I was practially the *only* Nintendo fan there). Everyone would just repeat themsevles saying how much the Wii sucks and how great the PS3 and 360 are. It's a classic example of how something can get out of control.

Sorry for the rant.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:01 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

It's funny. The people at my school like Pokemon, but they like COD and other non-nintendo games even more. In that sense, I am the polar opposite of them. I'm a Nintendo-die-hard, but I do enjoy the occational game of Halo.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:46 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

For me, the anime is the kid-oriented idea.
But, the GAME is actually not kid-oriented. You actually need to use your Logical thinking on how you
would defeat every trainer that you will fight.

You don't have to be shy if someone told you that your still playing pokemon games (version emerald, etc...)
They are the kid-oriented (bullying someone = Kid's act)
:D :D :D

salamence47™|RN

{garchomp} {gyarados} {salamence} {kingdra} {altaria}

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:13 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

salamence47 wrote:
For me, the anime is the kid-oriented idea.
But, the GAME is actually not kid-oriented. You actually need to use your Logical thinking on how you
would defeat every trainer that you will fight.

If that's the case then why do thousands of kids beat the video games with moves like Water Gun and movesets that have four moves of the same type? I know I did when I was still new at the game. The strategies in the anime also tend to be far more complex than "spam your strongest Pokemon's strongest move" like it is in the video games, competitive human vs. human battles notwithstanding.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:01 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

If there is one thing I've learned on this site, it's that you're not to old to do what you love. Pokemon used to be my secret, but it's hard to deny it when your friend yells from across the room, "My God! The chibi absol you drew is SO ADORABLE! Draw me more Pokemon!" I went totally red, but no one's made fun of me for liking Pokemon, so. Luckily for me, it's hard for there to be a social caste system when your grade has 20 12-year-olds, especially when almost half of them play. :lol:

Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:16 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I've been playing since I got Diamond. Of course, I get the occasional comment from my parents about Pokemon, but I could also be doing other things like drugs or criminal activities, so they don't bother me about it too much. I'm not too open about Polemon in some ways (like I wouldn't wear a Pokemon shirt or something like that... But then again I don't have a pokemon shirt lol) but if someone went right up to me and asked what I was playing, or if I like Pokemon, then I'd reply yes, that's Pokemon.

When I transferred to a new school, I was happy only because the school allows you to play iPods, DSs, etc. During lunch (Squeeeeeee!!!!!), so upon the second day of my arrival I brought my DSi. Turns out some other people there were die-hard pokemon fans, so we would get together to battle, train, and other things. There were also a couple of dirtbags at our table though, and they had a liking of publicizing our hobby (thankfully, nobody really listened to them because they already had a reputation as, well, dirtbags).

Pokemon is a video game. Video games are for anybody and everybody to enjoy. It's silly how some restrain themselves to be "cool". And last time I checked, pokemon is rated E for everyone. EVERYONE. Not just little kids.

sad but rad

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next