It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:02 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 fifaking's Pokémon Elimination Challenge!!!!! 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

{breloom}/{dodrio}

Same as last time/ Not tryin to start to something, just not really fond of this flying type.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:33 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

{raikou} / {salamence}

Cool / just OK

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:42 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

{salamence} / {torterra}

Bring it on, Mektar 8-)

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:15 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

{raikou} / {electabuzz}

LOVE Raikou/I like all the Pokemon here, but since Electabuzz is losing, I'll help shove it off the cliff.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:46 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Electabuzz up/ Torterra Down

*shoves mr. dude instead*

And Torterra is kinda pointless.

BTW, Why are most of the pokes electric type?

Art page. I shall draw every single Pokemon and there is nothing you can do to stop meMUHAHAHA *ahem*

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:27 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

{dodrio} / {torterra}

Still making the effort to save Dodrio for another round or two. / Not a fan of the gen 4 starters, especially the weird earth-turtle.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Round 7 over.
Round 7 Final wrote:
{dodrio} 2-1
{electabuzz} 1-4 Booted
{mewtwo} 0-0
{ampharos} *-0
{houndoom} 0-0
{raikou} 3-0 Immunity
{breloom} 1-0
{salamence} 1-1
{torterra} 1-3
{lucario} *-0

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Round 8
Round 8 wrote:
{dodrio} 1-3
{mewtwo} 2-1
{ampharos} 1-0
{houndoom} 0-0
{raikou} *-0
{breloom} 0-0
{salamence} 1-2
{torterra} 3-3
{lucario} 1-0

current through Gofd's vote

My vote: Ampharos/Mewtwo
Same/Only Caught for showcase

Last edited by fifaking on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

{salamence} / {torterra}

I get that terrible feeling mence is gonna go in the next couple rounds.......

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:38 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

{mewtwo} / {torterra}
Cool legendary / Hasn't really helped me much in battling

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:42 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

{torterra}/{dodrio}

Voting someone different this time, Torterra is my fav grass starter. Awsome typing and does learn some awsome moves/Still not fond of this guy.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:29 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

{lucario} / {dodrio}

Same reasons as before.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:11 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

{mewtwo} / {salamence}

Uber / outclassed by Garchomp & Dragonite

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:34 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

{torterra} / {salamence}

If Torterra is voted off, the Communists have won! :o / Meh. Just okay. Not my favorite, and my choices are getting very limited here...

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:29 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

{dodrio} / {torterra}

Same vote as last time.

twistedturtwig wrote:
If Torterra is voted off, the Communists have won!

Aach, der twistedturtwig hast meine boese plan gefuendet!!! Alles ist fuer der arbeitskrieg!!! Alles ist fuer Marx!!! Lange leben der revolution!

(I went with a German communist because I don't know any Russian. Besides, Marx was German.)

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

{torterra} / {dodrio}
Up Up UP the awesome walking continent/Down Down DOWN the hydra-ostrich thing

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:19 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Round 8 Over
Round 8 Final wrote:
{dodrio} 1-3 Booted
{mewtwo} 2-1
{ampharos} 1-0
{houndoom} 0-0
{raikou} *-0
{breloom} 0-0
{salamence} 1-2
{torterra} 3-3 Immunity
{lucario} 1-0

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Round 9 time.
Round 9 wrote:
{mewtwo} 1-0
{ampharos} 2-1
{houndoom} 0-2
{raikou} 1-3
{breloom} 2-0
{salamence} 1-2
{torterra} *-0
{lucario} 1-0

current through twistedturtwig's vote.

My vote:Ampharos/Houndoom
Same/Not too fond of them

Last edited by fifaking on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:47 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

{lucario}/{raikou}

same reasons last time I voted this guy up/ Not really a fan of the legendary dogs.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:11 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

{mewtwo} / {houndoom}
Legend beast / Least favorite so far

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:51 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

{raikou} / {salamence}

Legend / Pseudolegend

Mektar out.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:56 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Alright, I've been gone for a while, so this is the first chance in several rounds to actually have a say. And so I say:

{breloom} / {salamence}

Breloom was the first ever Grass/Fighting type! (Plus, the graphics for Mach Punch were so cool back when it was introduced...) And while it has now been displaced by Virizion, it still rocks because of what it can do with enough patience (learning Spore before evolution)...

Salamence was a Pokemon born merely from the Rule of Cool. It replaced my favorite Dragon/Flying (of legend), Dragonite, and for that I don't appreciate it. While it is good competitively, it's gone the too-popular-to-make-me-keep-liking-it route.

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;) 8-)

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

{ampharos} / {raikou}

Probably my favorite electric type ever. / Ehhh... just not a huge fan of the legendary dogs.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

{salamence} / {ampharos}

Salamence never really replaced Dragonite. The two had similar typing and attack stats, but that was as far as they went. Salamence was more offensive and speedier, whereas Dragonite had more bulk. Dragonite was the more balanced one, but Salamence's stats were far more spread out. Look at their Pokédex entries: Dragonite is friendly, heroic and saves shipwrecked crews out at sea, yet Salamence is violent, carefree and becomes uncontrollable if enraged. People like Dragonite because he is both powerful and cute, while people like Salamence because of his hardcore image. In terms of competitive play, Dragonite is much more effective as a bulky setupper, usually using Dragon Dance, due to Multiscale. On the other hand, Salamence is better as a mixed powerhouse, due to having much more speed and better offensive stats. I really like both Dragonite and Salamence, but I've never considered the two to be similar to each other. Because they aren't. Dragonite will always be Dragonite, and Salamence will always be Salamence. And Dragonite's popularity never dropped when Salamence came around. The two appeal to two different audiences, and both of them are very likeable and useful Pokemon; that's why they are both so popular.

Salamence has also never really been "overused", in a similar way to other complained-about Pokemon, such as Excadrill and Garchomp. You can't just slap Dragon Dance and Outrage on a Salamence and sweep teams with him. Salamence was relatively frail for gen 4, and setting up that one Dragon Dance wasn't easy in a metagame filled with Ice Beams and heavy offence. After the Dragon Dance, you also had to consider your options; using Outrage was pretty much suicide if your opponent still had a Scizor, Donphan or steel type with an effective move. And because those were so common at the time, Salamence wasn't too easy to use, and still required good skill. Salamence has had a lot of counters in all three gens he's been in, most of them being bulky waters such as Swampert and Suicune. Yes, you can argue that Salamence can 2HKO all his supposed counters; however, unlike the infamous Chain Chomp or other notorious, "uber" Pokemon, each Salamence will have at least 3 counters, any of which can be put in your team and still make a great contribution outside of beating Salamence. Just having the likelihood of beating any Pokemon doesn't make them overpowered; lots of Pokemon have that attribute. Jellicent is a popular counter to Infernape, but some Infernape may carry Thunderpunch. Heatran is a popular counter to Ferrothorn, but some Ferrothorn may carry Bulldoze. In fact, even Excadrill sometimes carries Hidden Power Ice, which 2HKOs two of its main counters, Gliscor and Breloom. So even though Salamence has the potential to beat every other Pokemon in the metagame, there is no single set that does so, and so Salamence is not overpowered at all.

Salamence also holds a moral symbolism in his backstory as a Pokemon. Tell me that I'm reading into it too much, but Salamence's evolution story represents the idea of trying hard for your dreams, and accomplishing them through rigorous work. Bagons spend their entire time trying to fly, and as such they jump off high places, understanding the risks involved in the attempts, trying all they can to fly. They toughen their heads until they can hit solid ground from over a hundred metres above without sustaining serious injury, and they try, try again. It is due to this persistence and belief in their ability to achieve their goals that their cellular structures undergo changes as Shelgons, and eventually become Salamence, growing wings and flying, just as they had always dreamed of doing. It was their motivation and hard work that gave them their evolutions, and it teaches us, too, that through sheer diligence, we can grab hold of our lifelong aims and live happy, fulfilled lives.

maybe im taking this pec a little seriosly, but hey 8-)

Last edited by dry on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:41 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

@dry No, you're not taking this too seriously. Although you might want to check out a therapist. :mrgreen: And, Torterra has immunity.

Anyways...
{breloom} / {raikou}
Same/ Never really liked it that much.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:12 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next