Gym Leader 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
Frontier Brain 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Custom Rank (If you have a specific one in mind, share it!) 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
I'm happy with the post count-obtainable ranks. 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 27

What Type of Rank Would You Want to be? 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

First off, if this Topic isn't where it should be, please tell me so I can move it there. Now for the Topic:

I'm sure almost everyone has wanted to be a Frontier Brain, Gym Leader, Lite Four, etc. So I'm curious what everyone wants to be! Of course, no more users are going to get the Psypoke Legend Title, since it's reserved for the Webmasters of Psypoke, but you can still dream! Also, if I missed some titles, please inform me so I can update the poll.

For me, I'd prefer to have a custom title. I'm not really sure what yet, since I don't know if I really do one specific thing on Psypoke yet. But don't get me wrong, I'd be overjoyed to be a Gym Leader or something like that. The only thing I would really like to do if I was a type of admin would be to have the power to lock misplaced threads and ban troublemakers, and to just give helpful information.

See how it sings like a sad heart, and joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain, and notes that fall gently like rain."

~Neil Peart

Last edited by Porygon 3 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I would just also want to lock misplaced threads, ban troublemakers, and have the feeling of being in charge of the site. I chose Lite Four cuz that's what Frost and Krisp are and they're awesome.

Also, I'm pretty sure this thread is in the wrong place, but offhand, I don't know where to move it to.

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature.
92% of teens would be dead if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasn't cool to breathe. Put this in your sig if you are the 8% who would be laughing.

Diamond FC: 5199-4994-9415
White FC: 0089-1661-3588

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:03 pm
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

Gym Leader, because as long as I'm in that group the collective coolness factor pretty much eclipses the others'

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

dialgatime wrote:
I would just also want to lock misplaced threads, ban troublemakers, and have the feeling of being in charge of the site. I chose Lite Four cuz that's what Frost and Krisp are and they're awesome.

Also, I'm pretty sure this thread is in the wrong place, but offhand, I don't know where to move it to.

Actually, if memory serves, Frost is one of Psypoke's webmasters, and just chooses to use his "THE POWER IS ON!" thing.

And you were right, the threads been moved, so it's all good.

Serpentsounds wrote:
Gym Leader, because as long as I'm in that group the collective coolness factor pretty much eclipses the others'

Haha well you would know, since you are a Gym Leader.

~Neil Peart

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I could use a promotion to Gym Leader, just so I can Sticky my Sunnyshore and Art Contest threads. It's nice having a near-exclusive title, though.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:52 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Cool, it would definitely be great to be a Gym Leader.

~Neil Peart

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

'I'm happy with the commonly obtainable ranks.' The thing is, these currently obtainable ranks you work for. I'm not saying the others you don't but i am happy with what is available without being bothered. The majority of my posts I to be constructive/helpful or just general conversational and i don't do it for the post count but the higher the rank there is fewer people who have that rank and still come on here frequently. So i think it maybe makes you more noticeable.
That's just my thoughts though xD i'm happy with what i have, though.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:30 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I see your point, you do have to work for every rank. I like the the regular ranks too, but what you said is part of the reason it would be cool to have a special rank: You become more noticeable. The main reason it be cool I said before.

~Neil Peart

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I'd want to be a Gym Leader so I can help clean up and organize. Plus it'll keep me busy haha.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

No thanks! I'll just remain a peon if it's okay with you. I can't help wondering if, sometimes, a person doesn't start saying they want to be a mod or whatever, because they think it will give them some "power" over what goes on in a forum. The problem is, with power comes responsibility. When you become a mod, all of a sudden you're having to work at keeping the forum running smoothly! You have to constantly monitor the forum, move threads when needed, delete posts when needed, listen to people complain about things and so on. I get enough of that at my regular job, so I'm happy just coming here for the interaction and the fun of it.

This does bring to mind something else ... I think we all owe a vote of thanks to the webmasters and moderators who have all done an excellent job at keeping this a (mostly) friendly place to hang out. It's a thankless job and a difficult one.

So ... Thank YOU Moderators! :D

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:44 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Power does come responsibility. Have we all learned nothing from Spiderman? :D It's true that all the Moderators have to work, but since Psypoke was made in 2004, some of the original Moderators are going to start going to college, get jobs, etc. Of course, that's the reason for Frontier Brains, Gym Leaders, and other special users. As far as I know, there's actually only a small number of people working on Psypoke itself, and the Gym Leaders, Frontier Brains, and Lite Four focus on the Forums, since they've grown so large. But technically, yes, even though most of the special ranks don't require handling the Site, all the Moderators are working, cleaning out the forums of spam, locking and moving misplaced threads, and banning troublemakers. I think working on the forums wouldn't actually be too bad, Since it has to do with Pokemon, which I really like, and it would teach me responsibility.

But overall, I agree with you. Thanks, Mods.

~Neil Peart

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

Porygon 3 wrote:
Power does come responsibility. Have we all learned nothing from Spiderman? :D It's true that all the Moderators have to work, but since Psypoke was made in 2004, some of the original Moderators are going to start going to college, get jobs, etc. Of course, that's the reason for Frontier Brains, Gym Leaders, and other special users. As far as I know, there's actually only a small number of people working on Psypoke itself, and the Gym Leaders, Frontier Brains, and Lite Four focus on the Forums, since they've grown so large. But technically, yes, even though most of the special ranks don't require handling the Site, all the Moderators are working, cleaning out the forums of spam, locking and moving misplaced threads, and banning troublemakers. I think working on the forums wouldn't actually be too bad, Since it has to do with Pokemon, which I really like, and it would teach me responsibility.

http://www.psypokes.com/about.php?show=history

And only a small number of the current staff aren't adults, so pretty much everybody already has college/a job/both.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Wow, I didn't even know that was there. Well, that type of information makes me want to explore the Main Site more.

~Neil Peart

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Porygon 3 wrote:

You don't really know us...pretty much all of the original moderators have left. I think the only ones still here are TheCyberMew (not on the forums), Frost, and Jigglypuff. Amphy, TK, and darkmind are the administrators who are supposed to be retired, they're all 25. Frost, as well as the Lite Four members Krisp, Jigglypuff, and sn0wBaLL are 23 this year. FireStarter is just a year older than us at 24 and TheCyberMew is just a year younger at 22. The Frontier Brains, well...they're our age too. As well as most of the Gym Leaders - the Gym Leaders who actually still come around range from ages 17 to 26. Point is, most of us are out of college. Some of us smart yet very lazy people did not go to college: me, Skull Kid, and Flaming Wuzzle are post-college age as well. Something very interesting to note is Jigglypuff and JsXtm lived in different states, attended different colleges, and ended up working at the same company! That's a major coincidence! Truth is, while we age, the average age of our members drop. :(

A LOT of moderators end up coming down to: active, smart, can TYPE right, answers questions and is helpful, and the #1 major factor is the chats. We don't trade Pokemon there or battle, we just...talk. Sometimes we're asleep and idle so if you come in and YELL WHY IS NOONE TALKING it's because the #1 IRC activity is idling. There are times in the day when it's really active but usually its dead when I'm around in the morning. So come chat it up with me in the mornings, once the administration gets to know you and knows you're cool, you're usually the first people we look at when we choose moderators.

Cool members to note based on IRC: rex09, BarnOwl, ace, CherryGrove, DNA, and maybe a few others that I'm not thinking of. Really most of Psypoke's core community comes from the IRC channel, basically a live chat that always has users but never guarantees anyone is actually there.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:03 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Real talk: the Psypoke Legend title is not for the "webmasters" - if that were the case, Jigglypuff would be one, and he isn't. It's the rank for the original Elite Four members, as the rank was "Elite Four" until TK changed it to "Psypoke Legend" when he and the other two retired. I never really stopped being active and felt pretty weird posting with a title like "PSYPOKE LEGEND OMG" so I changed it to a custom title. Bottom line: even if you managed to ascend to webmaster/"administrator" status, you'd still never get the Psypoke Legend rank, sry2say.

Also, technically, the Lite Four are all admins of the web site as well as the forums, but really it's Jiggz who does the bulk of the site work featuring a side dose of me. Not that we discourage any of the Lite Four from helping if they'd like... they're just busy/not around/don't know anything about Pokemon anymore (hi TCM!). :P

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:17 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Oh, I guess I pretty much forgot about the Orginal Elite Four. And I can imagine your fame thing. It actually annoys a little when you post on a newer users topic and they're like, "OMFG ITS FR0ST HE P0ST3D ON MY T0P1C OMFG". When that happens, I kinda want to step in and say calm down, but I never really do. Also, I know that nobody's going to ever be a Psypoke Legend, I just put it as an option because there's obviously people out there who dream about being one.

~Neil Peart

Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

First off; Serpent - thanks for the link to that brief history of Psypoke. It really was very interesting to see all the trials and tribulations that the community has been through to get where we are now.

KRISP!!! You think I'm coooooool!!!! Awesome!!!! :mrgreen: ... I suppose this will lose me a few coolness points though ... :lol:

In all seriousness though, I do have to say that, after being around the Internet since ... well since you had to use Telnet to get onto the CDNow pages to shop ... since the inception of Archie and Gopher ... I have seen a LOT of discussion forums (or BBS's in the old days). One thing that will garner you respect around any serious forum (yes, Psypoke is a serious forum ... we have serious discussions as well as light-hearted ones and ones about Pokémon) is to treat others with the respect they deserve. Think before you post and use the best spelling and grammar that you can. If you want to lose respect and have people thinking you are an ... well, we'll just say that constantly getting into (or worse, starting) flame wars, being a jerk towards others and not treating others with respect, will cause you to lose respect very quickly.

And no, I am in no way accusing you of those things. Just adding to the discussion about how to be a good community member and achieve those ranks you speak of. If you aspire to one day be asked to be a moderator (which this thread kind of leads me to believe), I suspect those things will considerably help towards that goal.

[edited to correct my own spelling and grammar! :lol: ]

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:28 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Once again, you're very right. Even though some people think "It's just Internet Forums", you should try to earn respect everywhere. And there's probably no better way to earn respect than to show others respect. It's important to always show respect, even when it's to people you don't know personally, just like on Psypoke. Some people might say, "Who cares, I don't know these people. I'll just go and tell this person how stupid he is." Flaming and harassing people you don't know using forums is just like insulting people you don't know in real life, and that's where you start to ruin your credibility.

And yes, it would be really great to become a Moderator one day. Another one of the reasons (Yeah, I've put a little thought into this :D) is the whole respect thing.

Also I'm going to have to agree with Krisp. You are pretty cool. :mrgreen:

~Neil Peart

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'd want the custom rank of, "The Awesome." 8-) Not like that'll happen anytime soon, but it'd be cool, lol.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:26 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Haha that would be cool :D

~Neil Peart

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

If I could choose I'd would go with "Tower Tycoon" Since I head the Battle tower's rating center and like Palmer I'm also a father. :p

Actually I'm fine with the current post count ranks, though I would like ranks for 1500/2000 posts, maybe even allow users over 2000 to customize their own ranks.

Mektar wrote:
I could use a promotion to Gym Leader, just so I can Sticky my Sunnyshore and Art Contest threads.

Ditto but for the rating center, would be nice to remove posts that completely ignore the rules so it doesn't cascade into 4-5 badly written teams by new posters.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:12 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Tower Tycoon sounds like a cool rank.

And I'm with you on a few more post count ranks for really high counts, even though I only have 150 :D. It's good motivation.

~Neil Peart

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Porygon 3 wrote:
Tower Tycoon sounds like a cool rank.

And I'm with you on a few more post count ranks for really high counts, even though I only have 150 :D. It's good motivation.

Trust me. After you hit 1000, you stop counting. To be honest, I feel like I shouldn't have hit that number anyway. A lot of my very first posts (a good portion of the first 150) were really n00bish and/or stupid. I'm glad that I've improved my post quality, but the post count number just seems so unimportant now that I look back on it.

A shout out to all the people who post to attain higher ranks: IT'S NOT WORTH IT. People will respect you more if you just post meaningful stuff and have a lower rank, rather than tons of mediocre posts.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:15 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rex09 wrote:
I'd want the custom rank of, "The Awesome." 8-) Not like that'll happen anytime soon, but it'd be cool, lol.

I'll cast my vote for you to have the rank of "The Awesome" ... :lol:

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:43 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

rex09 wrote:
Trust me. After you hit 1000, you stop counting. To be honest, I feel like I shouldn't have hit that number anyway. A lot of my very first posts (a good portion of the first 150) were really n00bish and/or stupid. I'm glad that I've improved my post quality, but the post count number just seems so unimportant now that I look back on it.

A shout out to all the people who post to attain higher ranks: IT'S NOT WORTH IT. People will respect you more if you just post meaningful stuff and have a lower rank, rather than tons of mediocre posts.

I think a good number of my first 75 posts were definitely n00bish. Then I saw what some of the really respected Pspoke members were doing, and I tried to make my posts more meaningful. Now, I feel my posts are pretty helpful, and since I only have about 150, the post count ranks are a fun way to keep motivating me to be helpful.

~Neil Peart

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next